Bellis in hospital

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited October 2010 in Pro race
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    I read on British Cycling that he is critical. Very sad news.
  • Firstly, I am shocked by the news, now sad, as it sinks in.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • He seems to be a tough guy, hope he'll be tougher still when he recovers.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    People always talk about how dangerous cycling is, but the risks on motorbikes seem even higher. Lets hope he fully recovers as quickly as possible.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    In a coma according to l'Equipe.

Terrible news, hope he gets better soon.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Ghastly news- adding my prayers and wishes that he makes a full recovery.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Tusher wrote:
    Ghastly news- adding my prayers and wishes that he makes a full recovery.

+1 on that, really bad news.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Poor guy - hope he recovers soon.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,473
    I can only echo what everyone else has said and wish him a full and complete recovery.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It really p*sses me off when I see news like this as all the time I see the results of scrotes and drink drivers crashing at high speed and getting away almost injury free. Then someone with a really bright future ends up in this state :(

Get well soon!
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    NapoleonD wrote:
    It really p*sses me off when I see news like this as all the time I see the results of scrotes and drink drivers crashing at high speed and getting away almost injury free. Then someone with a really bright future ends up in this state :(

Get well soon!

Well we don't actually know what happened, so I think it's a little presumptuous to speculate about drunk drivers.

But it's very sad news, and I hope he gets well soon. Kai Reus showed us this week that a terrible accident is not necessarily the end of a career.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    afx237vi wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Get well soon!

Well we don't actually know what happened, so I think it's a little presumptuous to speculate about drunk drivers.

But it's very sad news, and I hope he gets well soon. Kai Reus showed us this week that a terrible accident is not necessarily the end of a career.

Eh?

I was just saying in my experience as a Police Officer I see all too often drink drivers and scrotes having bad crashes and getting out injury free. I wasn't commenting whatsoever on the cause of this accident!
  • afx237vi
    NapoleonD wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Get well soon!

Eh?

I was just saying in my experience as a Police Officer I see all too often drink drivers and scrotes having bad crashes and getting out injury free. I wasn't commenting whatsoever on the cause of this accident!

Fair enough.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,811
    johnfinch wrote:
    In a coma according to l'Equipe.

Terrible news, hope he gets better soon.

offffffff

not good

hope it ain't too bad...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Thoughts are with him and his family
  • ahh, this is horrible..

does anyone know his exact situation?
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    no longer critical, stable according to bbc - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 265413.stm
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    deal wrote:
    no longer critical, stable according to bbc
    Fingers crossed for him.

Get well soon Jonny!
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    These articles contain a few extra details, it seems he suffered a fractured skull and bruising to the brain, he had an op on saturday to releive pressure. He is in an induced coma.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Doctors- ... 5667593.jp
    http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Jonny-Be ... 5673846.jp

:(
  • sonny73
    I saw on the Sky News ticker at around 6pm tonight that he was still in a coma, terrible situation, really hope he's going to be ok.
  • andyp
    He's in a medically induced coma which is common for people with head injuries. Maybe someone with a medical background can explain the thinking behind this?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    andyp wrote:
    He's in a medically induced coma which is common for people with head injuries. Maybe someone with a medical background can explain the thinking behind this?

I'm not a doctor but I've seen one before.

AFAIK, with head injuries they use a medically induced coma to let brain swelling reduce and help the brain heal itself.

Saul Raisin was in one for a few days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induced_coma
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Saul Raisin was not in a medically induced coma I don't think, just a very serious deep coma. Have had a brother in one for a month and IMO a medically induced coma suggests a less, perhaps quite a bit less serious braiin injury as without the medicine he'd be awake and moving. Hope I am right...
  • Yes that sounds more promising - hope he makes a full recovery.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • sonny73
    Yes that sounds more promising

Indeed.
    Sky sports news really should have noted it was medically induced, simply just said he was in a coma!
  • Dave_1 wrote:
    Saul Raisin was not in a medically induced coma I don't think, just a very serious deep coma. Have had a brother in one for a month and IMO a medically induced coma suggests a less, perhaps quite a bit less serious braiin injury as without the medicine he'd be awake and moving. Hope I am right...

Saul Raisin WAS in a medically induced coma

Raisin had suffered a significant head trauma. Overnight in a hospital in Angers, the subdural hematoma between his skull and his brain burst, causing life-threatening cerebral edema, or bleeding into the brain. Doctors put him into a medically-induced coma as they worked feverishly to drain the blood and reduce the swelling.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/cycling/c ... id=2816777

"This morning the hematoma burst and he had a brain hemorrhage," Credit Agricole sport director Michel Laurent told Bicycling.com Thursday. "There was too much blood for the doctors to get out, so the doctors induced a coma and their diagnosis is grave and reserved. Right now he's not responding."

http://outside.away.com/outside/news/20060407_1.html

many more reports of this are available
    interview.cyclingfever.com
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Rabobank's Pedro Horrillo was put into a coma when he crashed over the barriers in this year's Giro I think.
  • afx237vi
    Christophe Brandt was also put into a medically induced coma when he crashed in the Schaal-Sels in 2006:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/routes/o ... randt.html

He's finished 3 grand tours since then.
  • The F1 driver Felipe Massa was another one quite recently.
  • andyp
    Just saw this update on Bellis' condition;

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Doctors- ... 5703617.jp

Fingers crossed that he makes a full recovery.