gisburn - new trails - anyone tried them?

Comments

• dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Crapping in woods, riding on footpaths. Is it any wonder that we have a bad reputation?

Gah, I had to ask...

I usually visit Paul's house before I leave home in the morning.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Paul will be the guy you went fellwalking with last w/e I presume?
    Frank Yates
  • You want to be careful. Showing an unusual interest in small boys can land you in trouble.
    Frank Yates
  • dave_hill
    I'm more interested in his mum...

"Going to Pauls House" has become the standard euphemism at work for paying a hard visit...
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • I'm more interested in his mum...

There's no accounting for taste. :x
    Frank Yates
  • first time up to gisburn after some rain and I have to say it had spoilt the best bit (IMO) the swoopy berms. they were slippy last week after a long dry period, but it was like riding on ice today or slippy clay it looked like, anyway I am no expert but I wonder if it is possible to "harden" the surface up ?? rest of the trail was great as usual
  • I've just uploaded a couple of recent vids from Gisburn Forest onto Youtube.

more fun on the big berms

night ride through the volunteer built section
  • Hey guys, new to the site so be gentle with me!!

I went to Gisburn yesterday and had lots of thrills and unfortunately my mate had a spill, so I have a question and a suggestion....

Question: If I go and park at Tosside, where do I start the red trail? We parked at Cocklett yesterday and there was tons of clmbing to be done - I've been in Thailand for 6 months so I'm a bit unfit!!! Does parking at Tosside bring out a the top of the hill near the quarry bit? The top section of the trail was wicked, well until the mishap... see below

Suggestion: My mate came off in Hully Gully (the roller coastery bit), at the bottom of one the steep swoopy bits it was really muddy and slippery, and he came off and landed face first on a tree that is lying halfway up across the ditch. He now has a broken nose and lip. I realise accidents will happen, but is it possible to move the tree so you just land in the ditch... if he fell on his back it would have been serious. I realise in most cases dangers can't just be moved or whatever, but this route will get a lot of new riders trying it out, I'd hate to hear of something nasty happening. Please don't all come back slagging him off coz he is experienced and has done this section several times before he took me there, (and we'd already done this section once that day and went back for another go). Its right at the bottom of the longest steep downhill.

Anyway, in ref to parking at Tosside your help is appreciated!
  • If you park at Tosside and head straight up the forest road, past the saw mill, to the junction and go straight ahead, you'll join the loop by the quarry where the rock has all been crushed and piled high. You get to do the best bits early on that way. Alternatively you could turn left at the junction and join the loop lower down, either way though, you'll finish with a climb.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    As Manc Cat says for the pub. As for Hully Gully, we try to clear any stumps etc. while we build as they can make crashing much more serious. I'll mention it to Martin next time I see him. I think there will be some resurfacing of selected parts of that section as well cos it is a bit 50/50 in the wet whether you amke it to the bottom or not.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • dave_hill
    stumpyjon wrote:
    As Manc Cat says for the pub. As for Hully Gully, we try to clear any stumps etc. while we build as they can make crashing much more serious. I'll mention it to Martin next time I see him. I think there will be some resurfacing of selected parts of that section as well cos it is a bit 50/50 in the wet whether you amke it to the bottom or not.

Jon, I've just been up there myself this morning - the run in to the gully and the lower section towards the ruin are getting SERIOUSLY sketchy in places - I've never had a two wheel drift going on with a push bike before!! The bench-cut bits are like a skating rink and I can see somebody ending up down in stream before too long. They could probably do with hardcore on the surface.

The big four berms are ace though, I ended up ditching my bag and stuff and spending about half an hour running up to the top and chucking myself back down again!!
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • My Hubby and Myself are going to Gisburn on Sunday, first time back on the bike properly in 2 months, it's going to kill us :lol:
    Caz xxx
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    John

I know, spolis it a lot. The comment yesterday was well it is a black run. To my mind a black run is a bit where someone with skill will be able to ride the trail reasonably safely and in control. Hully Gully when wet seems to be more luck than skill so I do agree it needs some serious work in places. I'll keep gently pushing (wheelbarrows probably) to see if and when it can be sorted.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • dave_hill
    stumpyjon wrote:
    The comment yesterday was well it is a black run.

There's reason in everything though! Theres a big difference in pushing your limits and enjoying it over pushing them and having a squeaky bum!
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Don't be so soft! Hully Gully's grippier than it looks. It would be better if everyone stopped braking so bloody much on it, there's some bad braking bumps developing on the steeper downhill bits. I think it's one of those sections that needs to be ridden with comitment.

Or maybe I've ridden it too much!
  • gonga
    gonga Posts: 225
    I rode gisburn a couple of weeks ago about an hour after it had rained and hully gully was a little muddy and rode totally different to when it was bone dry.
    Next time i go im going to pay that bit a little more respect if it seems damp :lol:
  • yes it is black and yes it does test your skill swhen wet, but the big difference is in the speed you can do it, when wet you are concentrating so hard on not coming off due to lack of grip that it ends up being a bit of an anticlimax, whereas when its dry it produces the biggest grin ever and you want to do it again and again, for me, thats the difference. also agree with the braking comments, it is geting badly damaged on the last bit where you dont need to brake.
  • Hey guys,

I totally agree with what you say about black runs needing skill etc to handle them - thats the whole point of them! I felt a bit daft in my original post asking if a tree can be moved, but each time I've been round I've always spoken to people who haven't ridden for ages, or are trying it for the first time, and I'm no expert myself!!

I went back on Friday, agree too many people are braking on the downs, I kind of threw myself down as fast as I could and hoped for the best.... still in one piece so thats a good sign! But my bike was sliding in the mud, it was luck that got me round I think!

So anyway, what I wanted to say was, a bit of resurfacing would be good, (do you need any help?!) but the top section of the trail iin general s wicked and will keep me coming back for lots and lots more!!! Are there plans to add any more sections?
  • Just a thought, maybe you could put up ""WARNING - NO BRAKING" signs :lol:
  • Is Gisburn th one by Chorley?

What sort of trails are they? How technical is it?

I've just read in the paper about Gisburn and with it being so close to home, this could definately befome my local loop :D

Also, I herd of a small DH track? Is that true?

Cheers all, Ben
  • Gisburn is about 8 miles from Settle, not Chorley. I think you mean Healey Nab?

The DH track in GF is short and a bit cack in my opinion. It is well constructed but heads straight down the hill rather than switch backing across it. It could have been about 8 times longer if better use of the land was made. It's also very cut up at the bottom and just sort of fizzles out. It's all right for building up your confidence on gap jumps though!
  • Sorry i meant Clit-Hero not chorley lol!
    Tis only an hour away from me.. probably less So i'll definately give this a go when I get the car back :)
  • Yes then, about 12 miles from my old town.
  • I'm going to try the trails out tomorrow :D, i'll not be doing any black sections though as i've been off the bike for a while so need to do easier stuff.
    I'm dead excited though :D :oops:
    Caz xxxxx
  • So anyone got any decent vids of the black?
    Or a map of the trails? lol
  • The Northern Monkey
    The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
    edited October 2009
    Sweet cheers Caz :)

Edit: looks very sweet! Can't believe i've never herd of it before!
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Why is it that people find they need to moan about everything.... Gisburn is a couple of miles from my house and I ride there in all weathers...if its wet then guess what guys...its gonna get muddy and a bit slippy.....

Get over it... adjust you're riding style to the conditions.

I think the trail builders have done an excellent job and i actually like the fact its starting to cut up a bit.....it makes it trickier and more fun....

The gully is great but i've seen people acting as if its a dh track or something when it really dosent take much skill to ride it fast, the berms are wide smooth and flowing, barely any braking is needed at all down there (just a bit to stop you launching too high out of the compressions)