gisburn - new trails - anyone tried them?

spondonchris
spondonchris Posts: 74
edited November 2009 in Routes
has anyone tried the new red and black trails at Gisburn which I believe are officialy opening this weekend, but have been ridden by a few already. Anyone been as I am thinking of going sunday 20th am for a ride to try out ? reviews please?

Comments

• Went today. Quite good. Route is a figure of 8, and the top loop is much better than the bottom one. Got the impression that the top loop is all new, whereas the bottom loop was a lot of the old trails, but improved. Started from Tosside and was going to re do the top loop but had a mechanical with front mech. Will definitely go back. There is a big bermy section that is just superb. A couple of trips to learn it properly and it will be a really good ride.

Stumpyjon of this parish has been involved with the build, and Mancunianfighingcat goes round before breakfast. They might be able to tell you more.

Didn't know whether to go back tomorrow to finish the business off, or go to Llandegla for a blast.

Wherabouts in Rufford are you? I must be only just up the road.
    Frank Yates
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I'm slightly biased as I've helped build some of it but I think it's generally pretty good having ridden it 5 or 6 times now. The top loop is pretty much all new and contains the big boardwalk, berms and black bits. The lower loop does still contain a lot of fire road but also has the new really tight twisty through the trees hand built section which has been getting good reviews. The volunteers are about to start a new section of single track to take out some more fireroad (the bit you do twice in the middle).

Can get slippy in places after rain, especially on the coaster bit (officially named 'Hully Gully'). Just remember it's still early days, there are plans for significantly more singletrack and removal of fireroad sections provided more funding / volunteers can be found.

If you did go up today, how did you find it, all (constructive) feedback welcome.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Check out my vids, below in my signature. I'm only 25 mins away so I go up there loads.

I find it best on the hardtail.

The trails in good nick at the moment, it had got quite cut up, but has healed really quickly and is better for it now!

TIP. If you set off from the pub at Tosside, there's a free bike wash, although you may feel obliged to buy a drink from the pub or cafe if you use it!
  • hi guys, went to gisburn today and really enjoyed it, especially the swoopy berms at hully gully, they were the business. overall was a good mix I thought. met a guy who had been before and he showed us round which was great (thanks alan if you read this). having done all the usual trail centres, I thought this was a good effort, although I have to minus points for the lack of eggs on the bacon and egg barm at the end (only kidding!)
    will definitely be back there again very soon as it only took an hour from rufford, so is now the nearest man made trails to me.
    well done to all involved in putting it together
  • v23
    v23 Posts: 217
    I've been up this morning. Thought it was really good, as mentioned already the massive berms are fantastic, twisty single track also very good. All in all well worth the trip.
  • Went up to Gisburn today. Absolutely loved it. Lots of flowing singletrack, great berm section, not too long. Sun was out .. perfect day! Highly recommend the place
    :lol:
    Giant Trance X3
    “Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever.” Lance Armstrong
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    Going tomorrow... 3rd time, but only done the green sections so far and the odd bit of more technical stuff.

Not sure I'm ready for that really fast black run just yet :lol: . Think my riding needs improving a few notches first.

But will be giving the red runs a try.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • Mancunianfightingcat
    Mancunianfightingcat Posts: 2,054
    edited September 2009
    I'll be up there in about 4 hours.........again!

It's great in the dark!
  • You warned me off going up there in the dark! What goes on that needs total privacy???
    Frank Yates
  • Nothing sinister, I just don't like people seeing my stabilisers!
  • going again sunday morning as it was so good last week. hopefully it will remain dry !! and the man in the buttie van needs to get some eggs in to go with the bacon!!
  • mac_man
    Got back about 3pm today. Weather was brilliant. There was me, my brother and 2 of our kids and a mate of ours. Started off at Tosside and did teh red route ove rthe rocky buts.

needless to say I was pretty rubbish... need to master rocks!!!

But we had a great time and my riding has definitely improved since I got back into the saddle a few months ago. Plus a new decent bike makes a hell of a difference.

Ended up up doing the red, some of the green plus the purple trails.

Briliant.

But the downhill guys pushing bikes uphill, lol, what's all that about? Too heavy for yah? :wink:
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

• I think they're the best trails close to where i live (only 20mins away) and the swoopy berm section is the best, i also think that the volunteer built sections are amazing.

I go almost every weekend and i get up there on wednesday night most weeks. and i will hopefully keep going every week.
    92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig.
  • went again sunday morning and enjoyed it second time around just as much as the first. It was getting abit busy though and we went early. Funniest bit was my mate chucking himself down the track on the big swoopy berms, how I laughed ! I know you shouldn't, but you just can't help it!
    will be interesting to see how it fairs after some rain, because it is still very slippy on parts of the hully gully bit.
  • bin up twice in as many weeks belting ride both times may go up again this weekend. although watch out for walkers on the singletrack they shouldnt be there but seem to be of the opinion they can go absolutely anywhere
  • i'm hoping to go up there soon anything i should expect any fee or tolls?
    why you lookin at this it isn't that amazing
  • no fee's or tolls yet (but I hear they are going to install a parking ticket machine in the near future)
  • thanks
    why you lookin at this it isn't that amazing
  • Rumour has it that there is now a parking machine at Hurstwood installed by UU. (According to STW!)
    Frank Yates
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Rumour has it that there is now a parking machine at Hurstwood installed by UU. (According to STW!)

Sure is. Car park shut and locked at 5:30pm too. But it shows how stupid they are because there's more room to park OUTSIDE the car park than on it.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • stumpyjon
    The Hurstwood one's been there awhile. I think it will be some time before parking charges kick in at Gisburn, Martin was pretty adament that the facilities needed upgrading (toilets etc.) before he was prepared to charge and the he wants to make sure profits go back into trail maintenance.

• dave_hill
    stumpyjon wrote:
    The Hurstwood one's been there awhile.

The threat's been there a while, but it was only installed a few weeks ago.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Could do with some toilets at Hurstwood, but if they are only charging £1 all day we can't expect too much.
    Frank Yates
  • Are the trails signed yet? I have to plan trails centres with military prcision and be back in time for tea so dont fancy getting lost.

Whweres best to start? In the past I've always started the red route from Cocklett hill carpark (I think).
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • stumpyjon
    I start from Cocklett Hill, head out in a clockwise direction. Haven't been up for a few weeks but the last time I was there it was fairly well signed (the old signs had been moved). New signs may well all be in place now, official openning was the 19th of September.

• dave_hill
    Could do with some toilets at Hurstwood

What do you think the woods are for? :lol:
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • mac_man
    Are the trails signed yet? I have to plan trails centres with military prcision and be back in time for tea so dont fancy getting lost.

Whweres best to start? In the past I've always started the red route from Cocklett hill carpark (I think).

We started from Tosside last weekend. There's a fire trail that gets you closer to the red route than starting from the car park.

Signs seem pretty good... but small. Easy to miss sometimes if you're whizzing down a fire trail.

• Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    Not a bad effort I thought and the black area including the slab and the roller-coaster bermy bit were good. It was a bit damp when I did it so you had to be a bit careful on the roller-coaster and also in the woods later on. We went from Tossside and the only bit I thought was a bit poor was the first section up to the black slab area - I thought the hardcore was a bit narrow which made it hard to get any speed up and you were easily thrown off the track (mind you it was generally uphill) - I'm sure just widening the hardcore a bit would make it easier to get a good flow on.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • What do you think the woods are for?

More anti social behaviour?

Crapping in woods, riding on footpaths. Is it any wonder that we have a bad reputation?
    Frank Yates
  • Dogs combine the two by crapping on footpaths yet people still love them.
    Advocate of disc brakes.