How are we going to fix the forum? (serious)

Comments

• moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    andyp wrote:
    I'm with MG, anything more than the existing moderation level here would be too much. It's a public forum, people can post what they like. I can choose to ignore a lot of it but I'd defend anyone's right to say it.

Its not often you and i agree but your spot on with this, as you say its a public forum and in public forums there will be all sorts of opinions and characters posting thats what makes it what it is, moderate that and prevent posters from expressing opinions in threads and directing the thread the way mods want it to go and the forum dies. Dennis summed it up perfectly in the thread

dennis said
    People are allowed to voice their opinions(and troll at times). Some people are just plain contrary and it wouldn't matter what the subject was. I've seen arguments and, almost, name calling
    on posts about "what's the best lube?". Some people may have some hidden agenda
    behind their ideas. Some may, or may not, actually believe what they say and are just having fun with others
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Stuey01 wrote:
    Stuey01 wrote:
    Do you like to ride bikes?
    I love to ride bikes, but I'll leave the mindless hero-worship to others, thanks very much.
    So admiring someone for being good at what they do is mindless hero worship is it? That's a hell of a stretch.
    Maybe not, but getting off on simply being close to them most certainly is!

I disagree. I don't think there is anything wrong with having heroes and I object to your assertion that it is mindless. People are free to make their own minds who their heroes are or should be.

I should know by now that it is pointless discussing/arguing with you so I'm going to stop.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    edited August 2009
    I often have a lot of free time at work to surf/post - but it amazes me how much time some people dedicate to this forum, and specifically to antagonizing other posters. Boggles the mind really.

The majority of arguments on the forum are about the same thing and are between the same group of people. You can see it in this thread and most others that have descended into chaos.

Ultimately - until that small group of people either learn to get along and play nice or are all banned (which clearly doesn't work as they just come back with new logins), it will be the same thing over and over.

The lines are drawn and some folks will probably just never get along.
  • Pokerface wrote:
    I often have a lot of free time at work to surf/post - but it amazes me how much time some people dedicate to this forum, and specifically to antagonizing other posters. Boggles the mind really.

The majority of arguments on the forum are about the same thing and are between the same group of people. You can see it in this thread and most others that have descended into chaos.

Ultimately - until that small group of people wither learn to get along and play nice or are all banned (which clearly doesn't work as they just come back with new logins), it will be the same thing over and over.

The lines are drawn and some folks will probably just never get along.

I say lock them in a pub until they find something they can be civil about. Then release them back into the internet.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Pokerface
    Then again, I kinda like to watch a good slanging match! No more veiled insults - let's all go old school and take the PG-13 rating off this forum! 8)
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    Moderation or censorship ?
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    I don't really mind all the arguing. I just don't like it when a 'best tour climbs' thread descends into a 'did lance dope' thread.

I totally expect every doping or lance armstrong thread to go this way, but it would be nice if other threads stayed on topic.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    deal wrote:
    Either way (lover or hater of LA), all those posts should be kept in a separate thread, where the rest of us (WHO ARE BORED OF IT ALL) can avoid the whole topic.

I'm sure this is an error, but please avoid quoting the wrong member.

It was me, not FF.
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    Stuey01 wrote:
    I disagree. I don't think there is anything wrong with having heroes and I object to your assertion that it is mindless. People are free to make their own minds who their heroes are or should be.

I think you'll find that BB is taking a sociological, psychological and political view that hero worship is a "bad thing" because, while it may seem harmless in sport, it is analogous to traits that lead to the worship of political idols and political causes that have killed millions. It always reminds me of the Spanish Inquisition in Monty Python and their "mindless devotion to the Pope", but in reality they did their fair share of killing as well.

Whether this is a discussion topic for this forum is another question.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    GeorgeShaw wrote:
    Stuey01 wrote:

I think you'll find that BB is taking a sociological, psychological and political view that hero worship is a "bad thing" because, while it may seem harmless in sport, it is analogous to traits that lead to the worship of political idols and political causes that have killed millions. It always reminds me of the Spanish Inquisition in Monty Python and their "mindless devotion to the Pope", but in reality they did their fair share of killing as well.

Whether this is a discussion topic for this forum is another question.

how about a sense of proportion eh? We were talking about going for a bike ride with a famous cyclist. ffs.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I still say - It's not broke, it's a forum, people argue on forums, people call people names on forums, people disagee on forums, people don't have other people twisting their arms and forcing them to read anything. It ain't broke - it's a forum. Nothing here to fix. Maybe
    something to avoid if you get p*ssed off rather easily and your blood pressure gets a bit out of control.
  • This forum is a dying place. Anyone can see that.

I remember the big split with Cycle Chat when BikeRadar was born and I had hoped this would become a UK version of the daily peloton forums. Good quality posting, on message and relevant.

It has just become a centre for willy waving right now.
  • dennisn
    This forum is a dying place. Anyone can see that.

Don't see how you can say it's dying. New posts appear on this particular subject
    quite regularly.

As for the "willy waving", I'm sort of in agreement there. Probably lots of "manly men"
    having their say and, when told they / we are wrong, set out, immediately, to prove / argue that whomever "slandered" them / we by disagreeing is a complete idiot.
  • markwalker
    markwalker Posts: 953
    dennisn wrote:

Don't see how you can say it's dying. New posts appear on this particular subject
    quite regularly.

As for the "willy waving", I'm sort of in agreement there. Probably lots of "manly men"
    having their say and, when told they / we are wrong, set out, immediately, to prove / argue that whomever "slandered" them / we by disagreeing is a complete idiot.

When the best way would just be to punch the other guy out and have another beer :)
  • dennisn
    markwalker wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

quite regularly.

When the best way would just be to punch the other guy out and have another beer :)

It has been known to settle a dispute or two. Perhaps "settle" isn't quite the right word.
    Possibly "resolve for the time being".
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    I don't punch girls or children.
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • rockmount wrote:

Try it, you might like it!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    rockmount wrote:

Try it, you might like it!

I really shouldn't read this stuff in the office - laughing out loud just draws attention!
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Ramanujan wrote:
    (By the way, if anybody is actually interested, isn't it great that Bradley Wiggins is riding the Tour Of Britain? Or shall we open yet another thread arguing whether he's on drugs or not?)
    I think he might be, actually.
    I mean, c'mon. How did he get 4th in the tdf? Just by dropping a few pounds?

Right, I've been through this thread completely and OK there is a lot of the same thing to be found elsewhere.
    However this one stands out as the biggest bit of Bull Sh*t in the thread.
    I cannot help it but I shall have to mention a certain Texan.

c'mon, How did he get 4th. ?????? well for one thing I doubt if PED's played a part and he and the Team GB have the blood and performance evidence for all to see.
    Much so that I've not heard anymore bitching from the OZ or the French.
    So Ramanujan stop sh*t stirring and produce some facts and also.

The 2009 Tour de France had very little racing in it compared to other years.
    The many mountains climbed at just "Tempo" with a stage finish miles away.
    You saw Wiggins in trouble in the third week and on a "Normal" Racing Tour it would have been the second week and more than likely out of the back door in the third week.
    That Wiggins was able to finish 4th and some old man to finish 3rd is just the justification of my point that it was a below par TDF.
    Did Evans or Menchov really turn up or Sastre get a chance to climb a "Hard Mountain" when the others were all tired. (if they got tired they had a rest day)
    Good Luck to them for their final positions in the 2009 "Tempo de France."

I'm sorry to hijack the thread but a reply was needed.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Moray Gub wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    I'm with MG, anything more than the existing moderation level here would be too much. It's a public forum, people can post what they like. I can choose to ignore a lot of it but I'd defend anyone's right to say it.

Its not often you and i agree but your spot on with this, as you say its a public forum and in public forums there will be all sorts of opinions and characters posting thats what makes it what it is, moderate that and prevent posters from expressing opinions in threads and directing the thread the way mods want it to go and the forum dies. Dennis summed it up perfectly in the thread

dennis said
    People are allowed to voice their opinions(and troll at times). Some people are just plain contrary and it wouldn't matter what the subject was. I've seen arguments and, almost, name calling
    behind their ideas. Some may, or may not, actually believe what they say and are just having fun with others

I respectfully disagree. Some of the most vibrant forums I know are moderated far more than this. And continued growing at enormous rates after moderation was introduced as the removal of key individuals whose sole aim was disruption encouraged better debate.

There's a huge difference between censorship and moderation. There's nothing wrong with kicking out trolls. It's not a public forum after all, as argued by some, but a private forum which has an open invitation policy.

A pub invites everyone in, but if you have a habit of coming in and pissing on the carpet in the bar you'll get barred by the landlord. Trolling is urination on and ruination of a forum.
  • markwalker
    Moray Gub wrote:
    andyp wrote:

dennis said

I respectfully disagree. Some of the most vibrant forums I know are moderated far more than this. And continued growing at enormous rates after moderation was introduced as the removal of key individuals whose sole aim was disruption encouraged better debate.

There's a huge difference between censorship and moderation. There's nothing wrong with kicking out trolls. It's not a public forum after all, as argued by some, but a private forum which has an open invitation policy.

A pub invites everyone in, but if you have a habit of coming in and pissing on the carpet in the bar you'll get barred by the landlord. Trolling is urination on and ruination of a forum.

its going to be an empty bar round here then
  • dennisn
    Moray Gub wrote:
    andyp wrote:

dennis said

I don't have a problem with that idea. I guess the next question is WHO decides WHAT IS and WHAT ISN'T GOOD / BAD? A lone moderator? Would seem reasonable. Or is there another way?
  • stagehopper
    it might refill with those ex-regulars who've moved to the pub down the road ...
  • markwalker
    Ask Vino, it is the pro cycling forum after all???
  • markwalker
    it might refill with those ex-regulars who've moved to the pub down the road ...

yes it might but, is evolution not a bad thing?
  • Pokerface
    Are there any other good pubs around here?
  • stagehopper
    dennisn wrote:
    I don't have a problem with that idea. I guess the next question is WHO decides WHAT IS and WHAT ISN'T GOOD / BAD? A lone moderator? Would seem reasonable. Or is there another way?

As the owner of the website/message board in question you make a judgement call on the number of moderators, who you want to be a moderator and the guidelines they should moderate by. Often it's not about banning people but having a quiet word in private and appealing for a bit of common sense - self-moderation. Something which seems seriously lacking in many threads.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328

Its your right to disagree thats what forums are all about seems to me the calls for moderation are all directed at those with a certain viewpoint .The problem also comes when those who decide whats acceptable dont work fairly, ive already seen it in this forum when certain posters were singled out for moderation and others were left alone for doing the same thing .Heavy handed unfair moderation kills forums stone dead, if you want the forum to be the online equivalent of your local sewing bee them moderate away,if you want an vibrant on line forum with differing opinions then leave well alone
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Self-moderate. If you don't like something, don't contribute to it. Or put the opposing view if you feel like a debate. But try to avoid personal attacks on forum members, this is where it gets ugly, we go from a heated pub discussion to a bar brawl.
  • dennisn
    Kléber wrote:
    Self-moderate. If you don't like something, don't contribute to it. Or put the opposing view if you feel like a debate. But try to avoid personal attacks on forum members, this is where it gets ugly, we go from a heated pub discussion to a bar brawl.

Although in a way I've always enjoyed a good bar fight, as long as I was only a spectator. Comes from being in the Navy.