How are we going to fix the forum? (serious)

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited August 2009 in Pro race
It's all gone horribly wrong and the signal to noise ratio is all out of whack.

Do we need more moderation? Come up with some ground rules? Should we just try find new homes? Hopefully not the latter.

Any thoughts?
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Is it not just a reflection that there is a lot of noise in pro cycling at the moment?
    Half man, Half bike
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    We need a 'health check' like they do with the 50% hematocrit level.

I'll call it the Lancecrit level - the percentage of your posts that are about Armstrong or related matters. If your Lancecrit is above 50% in any given month then you have to sit out a couple of weeks for your own (mental) health. Diluting your Lancecrit with PTP picks is acceptable.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    RichN95 wrote:
    We need a 'health check' like they do with the 50% hematocrit level.

I'll call it the Lancecrit level - the percentage of your posts that are about Armstrong or related matters. If your Lancecrit is above 50% in any given month then you have to sit out a couple of weeks for your own (mental) health. Diluting your Lancecrit with PTP picks is acceptable.

What about if we post a lot on "how to pick a saddle" or "chain cleaning " forums?
    Can we get credit for that?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I think you will find that the majority of Pro-Lance members have a much higher proportion of their posts in Lance related threads then do those who dislike him and believe him to be dirty.

When Lance leaves the scene as he inevitably will do, the forum will die down and we will see much less of the abusive comments from the Pro-Lance members.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    makes me laugh how you guys turn every thread into a Lance thing :lol: :roll:
  • I think you will find that the majority of Pro-Lance members have a much higher proportion of their posts in Lance related threads then do those who dislike him and believe him to be dirty.

When Lance leaves the scene as he inevitably will do, the forum will die down and we will see much less of the abusive comments from the Pro-Lance members.

You could just ignore them?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    I think you will find that the majority of Pro-Lance members have a much higher proportion of their posts in Lance related threads then do those who dislike him and believe him to be dirty.

This will continue to be an issue - LA may not be riding any more this year, but as the Shack announce riders it will come up time and time again. I don't mind staying away from obvious bear traps but it gets my goat when non-LA threads get hijacked. Frankly, the antis are more guilty than the pros here although FF is right that the level of personal abuse & negative contributions is skewed the other way.

I suspect if FF and BB could find it in their hearts to unilaterally avoid the subject for a couple of months things would improve immeasurably. Even dennis might find it hard to argue with himself!

Not pointing fingers here, just looking for solutions.

Strava is not Zen.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    calvjones wrote:
    I suspect if FF and BB could find it in their hearts to unilaterally avoid the subject for a couple of months things would improve immeasurably. Even dennis might find it hard to argue with himself!
    I've already suggested that the fan boys restrict their comments to a single thread on the understanding that myself and other 'unbelievers' will leave them in peace. They don't seem to like the idea though. I have a feeling they enjoy being told where to get off!
  • calvjones wrote:
    I've already suggested that the fan boys restrict their comments to a single thread on the understanding that myself and other 'unbelievers' will leave them in peace. They don't seem to like the idea though. I have a feeling they enjoy being told where to get off!

I think everyone could benefit from not raising to obvious bait. Or learning the line "i respect your opinion".

I think limiting what people can say and where is stupid and would see me off (if anyone would care in the slightest!)
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    BB is right which is why like you say CJ I have stopped bothering much with those threads, and will continue to turn it down. I have no desire to post clean to be met with dirty posts of little content.

If you actually read my posts you will see that there is nothing really bad about them at all - it just so happens I post a lot of photos and they speak 1,000 words and can be interpreted in many ways.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Seriously - why ISN'T there a doping forum of some sort?

On another note - what IS this section of the main forum supposed to be all about?
  • jim one
    jim one Posts: 183
    I dont think we should have a doping forum. You just have to look at the cycling news forum to see why.

I like the fact this forum is so anti doping and there is often good knowledge on the subject. However as soon as LA is named we just end up in a repetition of what is said on many other threads. BB posts his links and his fountain of knowledge shooting down the LA fans and then we end up in a slanging match. LA does have his good points as much as I hate to admit.

While i admire BB greatly for his knowledge and facts on LA, perhaps he could refrain from shooting the fanboys down in every thread related to LA?? Obviously some cases require the BB treatment :lol:
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    calvjones wrote:
    It'll never improve while barkingbernie, spawn of kimmage, orile oh!, or whatever alias he assumes continues his one man crusade against an individual, about whom he has no knowledge other than the shakiest internet tittle tattle and half baked unproven theories :roll:
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    BB is right which is why like you say CJ I have stopped bothering much with those threads, and will continue to turn it down. I have no desire to post clean to be met with dirty posts of little content.

If you actually read my posts you will see that there is nothing really bad about them at all - it just so happens I post a lot of photos and they speak 1,000 words and can be interpreted in many ways.

I'm afraid you invite it with your condescending tone, but the posting of pictures is absolutely pointless if there is nothing else to the post - this is a forum for written discussion. Go find a picture gallery if you want to just post pictures.

And to say you keep it clean, when you announced your arrival on the "Lance in Glasgow" thread by belittling several users with lower post counts than yourself - very funny.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • DaveyL
    iainf72 wrote:
    It's all gone horribly wrong and the signal to noise ratio is all out of whack.

Do we need more moderation? Come up with some ground rules? Should we just try find new homes? Hopefully not the latter.

Any thoughts?

To answer iain's post, I think the forum has become absolutely abysmal this year. It is a hard core of posters who are responsible for dredging up the same old stuff every time, and reasonable and interesting threads end up being hijacked more often than not.

I gave up during the start of the Tour but started posting again mid-way, but am pretty much fed up again.

I suppose it's like a local pub - once a few pr!cks become regulars, you may as well find another place, unless the landlord boots them out.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Fastlad
    Fastlad Posts: 908
    I've got a great idea. Why don't all the lance haters, cynics, etc just post elsewhere? I hate people putting a downer on fellow cyclists. Fanboy's? what a stupid term for supporting a guy who has and is still (today in dublin, for example) a great inspiration to cyclists everywhere!!!

Thankyou.
  • Fastlad wrote:
    I've got a great idea. Why don't all the lance haters, cynics, etc just post elsewhere? I hate people putting a downer on fellow cyclists. Fanboy's? what a stupid term for supporting a guy who has and is still (today in dublin, for example) a great inspiration to cyclists everywhere!!!

Thankyou.

But that's just swapping one set of problems for another isn't it? Your solution is everyone who disagrees with you either shuts up or sods off.

The best forum i've ever been a member of had a motto of "Stayin' Posi'" everyone was welcome, everyone engaged with and everyone got along because the whole ethos was one of positivity and enthusiasm around a shared passion. Even when people disagreed, whcih they did massively, they couched in terms of love and respect. There's more unites than divides us.

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    edited August 2009
    DaveyL wrote:

I'm afraid you invite it with your condescending tone, but the posting of pictures is absolutely pointless if there is nothing else to the post - this is a forum for written discussion. Go find a picture gallery if you want to just post pictures.

And to say you keep it clean, when you announced your arrival on the "Lance in Glasgow" thread by belittling several users with lower post counts than yourself - very funny.

Just like MG and his ilk, your replies are so lightweight it is laughable. You all talk so much oddness that any discerning person could see right through your charade. It is why I rarely reply to them.

You must be very 1 dimensional if you do not like photos.
    Human vocabulary is still not capable, and probably never will be, of knowing, recognizing, and communicating everything that can be humanly experienced and felt.
    Jose Saramago
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    edited August 2009

Are you kidding?

The tone of the anti-LA brigade is far more aggressive and their posts more prevalent. Either way (lover or hater of LA), all those posts should be kept in a separate thread, where the rest of us (WHO ARE BORED OF IT ALL) can avoid the whole topic.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601

I don't quite agree with the die down idea. It may work as long as there isn't another
    all dominating, alpha male, on the race scene, who just by his personality(apparently)
    splits people down the middle of love / hate(so to speak). Problem is sooner or later there
    will be a new "Lance" who will win lots or maybe just the TDF a bunch of times. Then the speculation about drugs will start and some people will like this "new" guy and some won't. Almost seems like it's starting with AC. Couple more tour wins and maybe, just
    maybe, we'll have a new one to kick around. This forum almost has a political feel in that
    half the people love the President / PM and the other half feel that him getting elected is the end of the world. Of course, everyone hates car salesmen and lawyers, but that's another subject.
  • Monkeypump
    The best forum i've ever been a member of had a motto of "Stayin' Posi'" everyone was welcome, everyone engaged with and everyone got along because the whole ethos was one of positivity and enthusiasm around a shared passion. Even when people disagreed, whcih they did massively, they couched in terms of love and respect. There's more unites than divides us.

If only that could be achieved here!
  • Monkeypump wrote:

Why can't it? All it takes is people to realise that whilst they disagree on things, they all love cycling and that's why they're here.

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    DaveyL wrote:
    I suppose it's like a local pub - once a few pr!cks become regulars, you may as well find another place, unless the landlord boots them out.

It is astonishing the vileness that comes out of your keyboard and others. I guess you admire rockmount's senseless abuse.

It does make me laugh too when you and others try and make the word somewhat more palatable by adding a space, exclamtion mark or the like.
    The limits of my language are the limits of my mind. All I know is what I have words for.
    - Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Contador is the Greatest
  • markwalker
    markwalker Posts: 953
    Frenchie, who is the woman in your profile pic?
  • markwalker
    Also Id like to start the new era of mutual respect and civility by saying that even though some peoples politics are the politics of the whining loser and acknowledge that whilst personality and freethinking appear to be concepts alien to many I love and forgive you all.

That includes the Welsh Scottish Irish Australians. In fact i throw open my arms to any of the dominion states and love you all. Dennis I love you too.

Peace brothers
  • jim one
    jim one Posts: 183
    I want to stick up for FF and his picture posting. Its unique and as long as we dont all converse in pictures I think it adds another dimension to what we are discussing :)
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    It is astonishing the vileness that comes out of your keyboard and others. I guess you admire rockmount's senseless abuse.
    Wot no pichures ?
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL wrote:

Just like MG and his ilk, your replies are so lightweight it is laughable. You all talk so much oddness that any discerning person could see right through your charade. It is why I rarely reply to them.

Human vocabulary is still not capable, and probably never will be, of knowing, recognizing, and communicating everything that can be humanly experienced and felt.
    Jose Saramago

So that's the way you sidestep your blatant hypocrisy?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump wrote:

Why can't it? All it takes is people to realise that whilst they disagree on things, they all love cycling and that's why they're here.

I agree, and will embrace the forum in a positive manner.

However, it's a shame that even in this thread there are thinly-veiled digs between members. There do seem to be some pretty well-established chips on shoulders too - as a newcomer, it's rather offputting.
  • markwalker
    DaveyL wrote:
    DaveyL wrote:

Jose Saramago

So that's the way you sidestep your blatant hypocrisy?

I think everyone has been guilty of that on here at one time or another, perhapos it time to all accept we have different view points acpt that LA is decisive and talk about other stuff?