NapoleonD Legbreaker ride - 13/09/09

Comments

• freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    a_n_t wrote:
    mow cop was 25% according to my garmin stats.

Did you press the lap button to record your time going up Mow Cop? I'm going to start doing this now to see if I improve.
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    According to the other garmin data posted on the other page, it was 21%.

Crazy.

Might have to get my mate to drive up it. He's got some insanely accurate (and expensive) altitude equipment on his car.
  • freehub
    It'll have being 25%, but there can be delays and sometimes bits missing and all sorts, it's not always accurate, but when your GPS reads 25% and the hill is makrest at 25% you know it's accurate ;)
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    freehub wrote:
    a_n_t wrote:
    mow cop was 25% according to my garmin stats.

Did you press the lap button to record your time going up Mow Cop? I'm going to start doing this now to see if I improve.

No, I'm really not that arsed :lol:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • a_n_t
    Bhima wrote:
    According to the other garmin data posted on the other page, it was 21%.

Mrchrispy? There's no gradient info on there that I can see?
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • Bhima
    I downloaded it and uploaded it into bikehike to see the gradient. The elevation is definately there (and is definately different from bikehike's data).
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I don't care if it was 15%, 20% or 25%. It was f-ing STEEP for a fat bloke like me. With one leg.

You skinny runts had no problem getting up, but I thought it was the hardest hill I've ever faced. And was happy to have made it up it! Winnet's Pass was a breeze compared to that one!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ditto.
  • Pokerface wrote:
    I don't care if it was 15%, 20% or 25%. It was f-ing STEEP for a fat bloke like me. With one leg.

You skinny runts had no problem getting up, but I thought it was the hardest hill I've ever faced. And was happy to have made it up it! Winnet's Pass was a breeze compared to that one!

I'm skinny and I found it extremely hard, I have no power to push the little weight I have.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface wrote:

I'm skinny and I found it extremely hard, I have no power to push the little weight I have.

Don't worry mate. You're young and have only been cycling for a few weeks. This time next year I predict you'll be putting us all to shame!
  • i find the data uploaded to garmin.connect tends to get averaged, if I look at the same history in sportstrack then is bang on the money.

I have the gradient readout on my main screen but at that part of the hill my body seems to have shut down my eyes to safe energy....it was bloody hard though, any longer and I'd have been calling for my mum.
  • Anonymous
    Pokerface wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Don't worry mate. You're young and have only been cycling for a few weeks. This time next year I predict you'll be putting us all to shame!

Soon you'll be laughing at us all!
  • Pokerface
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

I did the club chaingain tonight. The took the "Thursday" route instead. MUCH faster and better. But Holy Crap do the cars honk and go flying by! Main roads scare the crap out of me when you're riding double width. You ever done that route?
  • a_n_t
    Well i'll stick with my garmin software:

25.jpg

and just for popette who said it looked like I wasn't trying:

mchr.jpg

190 bpm at that point, thats 96% MHR! :)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • Anonymous
    Pokerface wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

I did the club chaingain tonight. The took the "Thursday" route instead. MUCH faster and better. But Holy Crap do the cars honk and go flying by! Main roads scare the crap out of me when you're riding double width. You ever done that route?

It's a fast route that one, I did a Weds one before I broke the leg, brilliant!
  • Sounds like you had a really great time. So gutted I missed it. Spending the day in work looking out and thinking I should be out on my new bianchi was a real bummer.

If Nap D or anyone organises another similar ride I'll do my best to get out for it. Plus they'll be one less Trek now I've my new bike :D:D
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • Bhima
    OK Ant, I believe you, but that peak is so short, it looks like it must have been 25% for about 50cm or so! :lol:

I must admit though, my legs felt pretty fresh on Sunday and the climb didn't hurt as much as I thought it would, maybe it was 25% and I'm just getting - dare I say it - a lot fitter. :shock: 8)
  • freehub
    It's about 20 meters long I'd reckon? I find some 20% climbs harder, the easy side of park rash in the dales in 20% for abit and I grind up there about 6-7mph, the hard side hits about 30% and you go down it about 5mph :lol:

Dare I say it, I probably find the Cat and Fiddle harder than Mow Cop as it's so much longer.
  • Pokerface wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

I don't mind my slowness at the moment, I assume I'll only get better if I keep riding :)
  • Anonymous
    You assume correct...
  • a_n_t
    I assume I'll only get better if I keep riding :)

definately, you did well mate, almost 5000 ft of climbing in 50 miles or so isn't easy.

It wasn't long ago that I though I was going to die when I reached the top of the wizard, I had to turn round and go home!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • a_n_t wrote:

It wasn't long ago that I though I was going to die when I reached the top of the wizard!

I still do. As Robert Millar once said, the hills don't get any easier, you just ride up them faster. :twisted:
  • freehub
    This wizard climb, it's right from Alderly edge up to the Wizard pub right? goes past swiss hill?
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Bhima wrote:
    Knedlicky - ouch! :shock:

That's why I set off an hour earlier yesterday. Lucky I did too because I had to turn back to get my helmet after 3 miles
    I'd done about 20 miles before I remembered about helmet and shoes.
    I was really mad at myself :x
    and also I was just near Winwick ...
    so, the way I was, I couldn't have really complained had someone came up and marched me off in a straight-jacket!
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Bhima wrote:
    that peak is so short, it looks like it must have been 25% for about 50cm or so! :lol:
    My feeling too about Mow Cop and its gradient. I also wouldn't say the whole climb is long, as someone commented, although I suppose it depends on what you're used to.

Of the part of the Nap ride I did, I thought the second climb out of Wincle the toughest. The first climb takes you from the bridge to the church, then you rise again from the junction at the church. Both fairly short though.
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    I don't mind my slowness at the moment... :)
    Hey, you aren't "slow"! Don't compare yourself to a bunch of old guys who've been riding for ever! Bet you're faster than many others of similar age and experience, but it's all relative - there's always someone faster, unless you're the current World Champ...

Thanks to everyone for a nice day out, and a special thank you to NapoleanD for organising it. Apologies for my ridiculously belated aknowledgement, but I've just not had chance to look at t'forum till today. Hope to see you all again sometime.
  • I am thinking of doing this route in a few weeks time anyone fancy it
    Karen would be good for you as your planning to do the FWC next year

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... urse=84289
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    hi Chris,
    Looks a good route but I think it'll be a few months before I can do it. October is fully booked every weekend and after the exmoor beast, I'm having a bit of a break in November.

I've still got a sniffles after our ride over mow cop - anyone else?

Karen x
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    No. We're 'ard north of Manchester :)
    M.Rushton
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    data 1959, i might be up for doing this ride . on holiday when the last ride happened. will need to build my milage up again though so prob not for a few weeks . maybe towards the end of november. tim .