Swinley Forest / The Lookout

Comments

• robst3
    robst3 Posts: 145
    robst3 wrote:
    They need to get some runs marked out with signage etc, really can't wait to go back for a second time but not looking forward to trying to navigate myself.

Try this http://maps.cloudmade.com/?lat=51.37028&lng=-0.724583&zoom=14&styleId=1&opened_tab=0 it should help you get to some of the more popular tracks.

That's ace thanks. Who plotted the trails on there?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It's Open Street Map.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.37 ... 4&layers=N

The maps are mainly volunteer contributed and trails are mapped out by various people uploading and marking their GPS trails.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    deadkenny wrote:
    It's Open Street Map.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.37 ... 4&layers=N

The maps are mainly volunteer contributed and trails are mapped out by various people uploading and marking their GPS trails.

i've used it on the iphone, early on. now I just wander and get lost, as I even if I don't know where some new trail goes to, I do normally have a clue as to roughly where I am.

But yes open street map is great around here.
  • deus1122
    deus1122 Posts: 1
    Any one from Bob going for a ride this Saturday 25 June in the morning at Swinley Forest?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't think any BOB people post here, they have their own website but looks like a ride might be on for Saturday afternoon if we can get it organised.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I'm on a training course in Bracknell next week, which I believe is close to Swinley.

Does anyone fancy showing me around on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday evening (or all three preferably)?
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    deus1122 wrote:
    Any one from Bob going for a ride this Saturday 25 June in the morning at Swinley Forest?

There are three different BOB rides every Saturday, but you have to jion the club :D

http://www.bobmbc.com/rides.htm
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    deadkenny wrote:
    What I mean is there are loads of natural trails and features that have nothing to do with BOB that are used and worn into a usable trail by riders and even walkers. There is far more of interest there than just the trails they have built.

BOB/Gorrick don't just build the 'ginger stuff', a lot of the other trails are laid out for a race and then afterwards don't get ridden much and so get a 'natural' feel to them. There are lots of these hidden away in Swinley and the surrounding area. There might be one or two trails that have nothing to do with BOB/Gorrick, but as far as I know most of them originate from their activities.

Unfortuantly, some trail riders try to utilise what they think are natural features, but are in fact historical features relating to the military history of the area (Crimean War etc), something which upsets the archeologists etc. This is why trees are sometimes felled, blocking such 'unofficial' trails. It's this sort of thing which makes trail building a lot more complicated than it may at first seem :D, along with ground-nesting-birds, rare reptiles, health&safety etc etc
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • cooldad
    And to join:

"Membership is by recommendation of a committee member, where you are then allowed to benefit from the club rides."

Fark that.

"Please accept my resignation. I don’t care to belong to any club that will have me as a member". Groucho Marx.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • mtb crazy
    mtb crazy Posts: 245
    swinley ride sat can be arranged. ive posted on facebook aswell.
  • nozzac
    nozzac Posts: 408
    cooldad wrote:
    And to join:

"Membership is by recommendation of a committee member, where you are then allowed to benefit from the club rides."

Fark that.

Actually the policy is: "Membership is to be confirmed by the Club and the prospective member is to have been on Club rides as a guest or one of our regular Intro Rides unless he/she is nominated by an existing member."

So all they are saying is you need to come on a free intro ride before joining. Obviously this is to ensure you have adequate fitness/skills/bike to be able to go on club rides. it would be unfair of them to accept membership money from people who have no hope of ever completing even a leisure ride.
  • Anonymous
    Basic upshot is you don't need to join a club to ride or get the best out of Swinley.
  • cooldad
    Maybe if it was phrased like that it would be more newbie friendly.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • nozzac
    cooldad wrote:
    Maybe if it was phrased like that it would be more newbie friendly.

Seems pretty friendly to me:

"The main aim of the club is to have fun and enjoy our sport. We have a range of regular rides suitable for reasonably fit novices through to serious racers. The best way to find out about the club is to join an Intro Ride (more details elsewhere on the website) before progressing to the regular rides as a member. You don't need to pay up and join straight away, you're quite welcome to ride with us upto three times and see if you like us. Of course, an existing member can recommend you to BOB membership at any time."

I don't see how they can be any more welcoming to be honest.
  • cooldad
    Fair enough. Maybe I'm just not much of a joiner.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Zziplex
    Zziplex Posts: 190
    I used to ride around the Swinley/Crowthorne/Broadmoor areas when I was in the army, the area isn't exactly worth getting all excited about.
    It's ok for a blast, but I'd rather lick an Alsation's balls than spend more than a couple of hours there tbh.
    Guinness for strength
  • cooldad
    Obviously you missed the fun bits.
    Or you are partial to Alsation's balls.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    I'd agree with cooldad. There's plenty there to keep people occupied from jeycore XC mincing to mx pyjama wearing downhill stormtroopers and everything inbetween. In fact, in terms of riding varied stuff, I'd argue there's more in a short area than there is in most places. The only thing you could criticise is limited elevation so descents and climbs aren't that long.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    cooldad wrote:
    Fair enough. Maybe I'm just not much of a joiner.

My carpentry is a little lacking too. I would however be up for a ride at the weekend, Sat would work for me (I think - need to check with wife/baby).
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Zziplex
    Zziplex Posts: 190
    cooldad wrote:
    Obviously you missed the fun bits.
    Or you are partial to Alsation's balls.

Obviously because you were with us every wed afternoon.

This sums it up for me tbh "the fun bits". The best part of the ride was the pubs on the way back to camp.

There was one next to a nice little Italian restaurant, whilst the beer was good it was run by some bell end called Joey Dunlop (not the real one), the Two Pops was also run by an arsehole, I'm sure you're familiar with them, arseholes.
    Guinness for strength
  • cooldad
    You do seem to have a bit of an obsession with alsation balls and arseholes.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • nozzac
    So you enjoyed your time in Berkshire then - utlilising the natural areas and forming good relationships with the pub owners?
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    Zziplex is TUFF.

I will stage sprinting race and outsprint all the shoot out of ... , so the man becomes chilled.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • mtb crazy
    lol. so, back to riding talk..... whos going to swinley saturday afternoon? i can go up there and would be up for meeting people.
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    I'm not going to make the afternoon sorry. Riding relatively early as I've got to go visiting again in the evening
  • Anonymous
    Likewise can't make it. IT support duties for the folks, which means a trip to Devon! May take the bike with me just in case I can get some time out somewhere though.
  • benpinnick
    mtb crazy wrote:
    lol. so, back to riding talk..... whos going to swinley saturday afternoon? i can go up there and would be up for meeting people.

I will see if I can organise a pass for the afternoon from her indoors. What sort of time? 2pm 3pm?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • mtb crazy
    2pm is good with me. ive still got loads to explore, plus im a newbie so lots to learn, maybe you could give me some tips on how to bunny hop etc? i think if i actually watch someone do it i will hopefully be able to learn!! also need to build up confidence on more technical stuff but not afraid to try quite abit of it.
  • benpinnick
    I'm good for the ride. Will be there at 2 or just before.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cooldad
    Thel33ter's plans are still vague, so if I make it I'll call when I get there and meet somewhere.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools