Swinley Forest / The Lookout

Comments

• othello
    othello Posts: 578
    Brig wrote:
    Thanks all! Think I will try it either this or next weekend. Are the trails easy to find from the Lookout?

Have a look at this thread http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12684311&start=40 and see the third post down on that page from me. Some pointers on how to get started.

As mentioned above, don't stay on the fireroads -- look for obvious trails off into the trees. Enjoy, it is a great place to explore!
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Brig wrote:
    Thanks all! Think I will try it either this or next weekend. Are the trails easy to find from the Lookout?

Keep an eye on London Calling or here, often someone at Swinley on weekends, or post when you expect to be there and someone might get off their arse. Much easier with someone who knows the bits.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • othello
    othello Posts: 578
    cooldad wrote:
    Brig wrote:

Keep an eye on London Calling or here, often someone at Swinley on weekends, or post when you expect to be there and someone might get off their ars*. Much easier with someone who knows the bits.

+1

First couple of times we missed Labyrinth because we kept turning off before it, until a local pointed us in the right direction!
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • Rouge Penguin
    Rouge Penguin Posts: 347
    edited June 2011
    I cant remember if i got this map from here, or another site, but its a great pointer on where to cycle.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5173/5513959807_21a9730c94_o.jpg

My advice for new stater (being new myself) is as follows.

Park/start at Go Ape, head down the track next to the cabin to the end, around the hedge turning right on to the main trail. After about 100mts, take the right turn. This is a a nice warm up trail, follow this and it will lead you onto a main 'road' and at about 11 o'clock is the start of a nice long loop. Best way to explain is to follow the trail and at each fire break, just cross it and keep going until you get to a manhole.

From there you have 2 options. Down the trail in the same direction you've come and turning right at the bottom is the gulley (quick, short, jumps). Or (still from the manhole with the trail youve ridden at 6 oclock) off to the labarynth, turning left, down the hill, turning right, past the Reserviour and keep going up the couple or three hills, the last one is steep for a first timer, untill to get to a small clearing on the left. You will know youre in the right place because of the big pile of yellow sand in the corner.

Here you have 3 or 4 options. the first 3 lead to the same spot in the middle of the copse. When you get here, look for the trees with red paint. That finishes the section (this is the winding part of the labarynth. The one with the axle is a short jump section and is over in a minute or so.

Yet to explore the Seagull side of the forest and hope to get there next weekend to explore it.

*Edited as the image was huuuuuuge and replaced with a linkr*
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Actually, best way to link for heading to the labyrinth is go past the manhole to the gully, ride there or not as you prefer, up the hill to the reservoir then either down the fireroad to the trail with the (totally optional) drops at the top or straight across from the reservoir and down the alpine or other bit. Then you can link with about 100m of fire road before the wall climb
  • cooldad
    And don'tforget to turn left at the tree.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Not that one, the other tree, with leaves and stuff.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Brig
    Brig Posts: 21
    Thanks guys! I might tag along next time hopefully. As long as I can keep up, still a bit rusty after an 8 year break from biking.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    cooldad wrote:
    Not that one, the other tree, with leaves and stuff.
    It's easy to spot.
  • nozzac
    nozzac Posts: 408
    I live next to Swinley. If you ever want a tour then PM me. I ride alone mostly. I'm unfit and slow. However I also have an atrocious memory and appalling sense of direction so I can only find certain trails starting from certain points!

I was out yesterday for hours trying to find the Corkscrew. I know roughly where it is but always get lost trying find the damned place. Found it eventually but by then it was tipping down with rain.
  • cooldad
    We are planning a ride early Sat afternoon, welcome to join in. Exact time notknown but probably about 1 at Go Ape.
    Will post more once organised a bit.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Sounds like a big meet ‘may’ be happening Sat afternoon. Currently about 7 folk showing interest in London Calling Group on Facebook. Everyone from Swinley first timers to loons by the looks of it...

Meet times gunna be an issue. Some folks want morning, others 1pm, others 3pm.

Gunna be busy i'm guessing

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • Anonymous
    Loon here. Just make sure you have Frimley hospital on speed dial.
  • Im in again if its in a few weeks.. Once again, I will be more worried about where people are meeting than lack of technical ability..!
  • I think I'm going to be up for that too :)

I need a good tour of the trails.

I've been twice and so far everyone I've met has been friendly and helpful so Ive found quite a lot of stuff but I still don't think I've scratched the surface by the look of youtube and some maps I've found online.
  • riddle
    riddle Posts: 41
    Is anyone riding tomorrow night?
    Blue Skies Always
    Roger H-Smith
    07807 031797
  • mtb crazy
    mtb crazy Posts: 245
    will be brilliant to get up there. The Priory -- the meet time shouldnt be too much of a problem, just make sure you have someones number so you know where they are :)
  • Sounds like a big meet ‘may’ be happening Sat afternoon. Currently about 7 folk showing interest in London Calling Group on Facebook. Everyone from Swinley first timers to loons by the looks of it...

Meet times gunna be an issue. Some folks want morning, others 1pm, others 3pm.

Gunna be busy i'm guessing

Is the Facebook group open to all? If so can you post a link so I can join?

Thanks.
  • cooldad
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:

Thanks.
  • Its the 60 comment thread but note how virtually no firm decisions are made in 60 comments :roll:

• cooldad
    That's because someone has to take control.
    So 1pm Sat Go Ape, Swinley.
    Then back to carpark at 3pm to pick up stragglers.
    Easy.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Sounds good to me
  • A plan. Hurrah. Be seeing you.

• Anonymous
    Keep forgetting the separate Swinley thread now. Anyway, still up for today. Helter might even turn up!
  • robst3
    robst3 Posts: 145
    I visited Swinley for the first time this morning, went on the intro ride with B.O.B.. Gonna head down again tomorrow for the day. Anyone else planning on going?
  • nozzac
    I was on that ride robst. I was the guy who turned up and asked if I could join in - black clothing and hat.
  • robst3
    robst3 Posts: 145
    on the rockrider right? Not sure if I managed to say hello to you but I was on the blue and white rigid GT, blue t shirt, black shorts! My legs are aching like a biotch now but can't wait for some more tomorrow
  • nozzac
    robst3 wrote:
    on the rockrider right? Not sure if I managed to say hello to you but I was on the blue and white rigid GT, blue t shirt, black shorts! My legs are aching like a biotch now but can't wait for some more tomorrow

Yeah that was me. I remember your bike and shirt. I don't think we spoke. I'm knackered now! Everytime I bend from the knees all my energy drains away. It was a good laugh. They seem like a friendly bunch.
  • Anonymous
    You're welcome to join any of our rides too. Very informal, relaxed, and can be plenty of stops and chats :). Not a club, just people arranging to meet up and have fun.

Probably not there tomorrow but chance some of us may be next week. Check here or in the London Calling thread for possible posts, or random ramblings at least.