Swinley Forest / The Lookout

Comments

• paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    I was at Swinley on Sat with the Bucks MTB boys, had a fantastic ride there are some great trails. It was my second time and can't wait to go back. The Labrynth (I think it's called) is just brilliant, seems to go on for ever.

There was also an apparently newish trail with deep berms and a couple of table tops on it, that was so good we did it twice.

We popped back to the cafe at the lookout for lunch and a guy flipped his bike right over and landed on his back, right by the entrance to Go Ape, wasn't one of you lot was it?
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • mtb crazy
    mtb crazy Posts: 245
    ive just seen some videos of the labrinth and the corkscrew.... want to ride them next time i go there. in the vid there looked like there was a drop off on corkscrew, how big is it?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    @PaulBox no but we were the small group just outside the entrance waiting to set off. We try and keep our really embarrassing moments for less public spots. Poor guy but at least he got some laughs and a round of applause. The 'newish' bit is a new extension to Stickler.

@mtb crazy we normally do them, the Corkscrew is not that great - very short but Labyrinth is good, if quite tiring - seems to go on forever in a very tiny area. Stickler is my current favourite. Easy and fun.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    There's tabletops on the Stickler?
  • cooldad
    Yep, little ones, and bombholes (little ones) and a rock garden (very tiny little one). Haven't you done the new bit yet?
    I went over the bars in the rock garden, fortunately no one was watching.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Well the rock garden is actually a few little rocks.
    The new bermy bits are great fun though.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Atz
    Berms yes, I'd even give you "tiny rock garden" but tabletops? There's a little pumpy bit but nothing that runs in as a tabletop really...
  • cooldad
    That would be it. I call them little bombholes I suppose if you were going really fast you could jump them.
    Popstar would just float over using the force.
    As I just roll over everything it's all just lumps.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ThePriory1978
    ThePriory1978 Posts: 563
    edited June 2011
    PaulBox wrote:
    We popped back to the cafe at the lookout for lunch and a guy flipped his bike right over and landed on his back, right by the entrance to Go Ape, wasn't one of you lot was it?
    cooldad wrote:
    @PaulBox no but we were the small group just outside the entrance waiting to set off. We try and keep our really embarrassing moments for less public spots. Poor guy but at least he got some laughs and a round of applause. The 'newish' bit is a new extension to Stickler.

:lol: I'd forgotten about that. I've never seen someone backflip a bike at such a slow speed on such a small bump before. The speed at which he landed on his back was magical.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • robst3
    robst3 Posts: 145
    They need to get some runs marked out with signage etc, really can't wait to go back for a second time but not looking forward to trying to navigate myself.
  • cooldad
    You are welcome to join in with us.
    Would prefer no signs. It's busy enough as it is.
    But I am selfish.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • robst3 wrote:
    They need to get some runs marked out with signage etc, really can't wait to go back for a second time but not looking forward to trying to navigate myself.

That will never happen, Swinley Forest is private land, not owned by the Royal Household or Forestry Commission. Gorrick, as an agent of The Crown Estate still charge for its use/upkeep but its your responsibility to find stuff. Note that there is no proper map for cycle routes anywhere. They dont wanna advertise it to make it seem like a bikepark as its not.

• robst3
    Understand why but it blows that the sport isn't supported in this region. If I get rich i'll be buying some woodland and making it mountain bikers only - NO horses or walkers!
  • Atz
    I think Swinley is well supported for MTB. We did 14-15 miles on Saturday afternoon and I'd be willing to bet that 12-13 miles of that was singletrack at the very least. As Cooldad says, I'd rather there wasn't signposts as you end up with one of two things:

1, People come in even larger numbers, trails are swamped and torn up
    2, Someone comes along, injures themselves on a trail and stuff gets flattened (it's happened before)

"Forcing" people to explore, ride with people who know their way around etc keeps the numbers manageable although if you do down on a weekend in summer when it's good weather, sometimes it's hard to get a clear run down some trails (not to mention morons coming up the labyrinth etc)
  • robst3
    Agree with that! Although if there were more places like Swinley it wouldn't be so hectic. There is so much forest around my area (North of Reading) but it is ALL footpaths, no bicycles allowed.

Dont get me wrong, I thought Swinley was ace, would just be nice if I hadn't almost killed someone's dog (twice) whilst riding on the MTB trails :lol:
  • mtb crazy
    mtb crazy Posts: 245
    it was good on sat as there werent many people around apart from the group, though its definately easy to get lost in there. Robst3, i will probaly end up doing that soon, im really clumsy :P Cooldad, labrinth does look good, is it quite flat though?
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    PaulBox wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

:lol: I'd forgotten about that. I've never seen someone backflip a bike at such a slow speed on such a small bump before. The speed at which he landed on his back was magical.
    It was indeed, I felt bad for laughing, but I didn't start until I knew he could still walk, honest!

Wish I had known that was you guys, would have liked to say hello.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • It always pays to be social at Swinley.
    Its why you dont really need a map.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    robst3 wrote:

That will never happen, Swinley Forest is private land, not owned by the Royal Household or Forestry Commission. Gorrick, as an agent of The Crown Estate still charge for its use/upkeep but its your responsibility to find stuff. Note that there is no proper map for cycle routes anywhere. They dont wanna advertise it to make it seem like a bikepark as its not.
    That's the story, though I've only heard it from BoB who are very possessive over Swinley and the trails "they" built (not all trails there are theirs). They assign themselves as permit police also.

Thing with Swinley is the trails are worst kept secrets.

As for support for MTB, Swinley is okay though it's BoB and Gorrick who drive it and they are focused on particular things, especially XC and race events.

Surrey Hills has potentially better support as the people involved are locals who just enjoy riding for fun, along with the Hurtwood trust who manage it and the ranger.

FYI Hurtwood and the ranger are currently keen to get more people to join The Friends of Hurtwood and/or get involved with things like (official) trail building & maintenance. They are struggling with funds thanks to withdrawl of grants and not enough people donating.
  • Atz
    Should read the STW thread on the Friends... it's an interesting set of opinions and thoughts.
  • Anonymous
    Haven't read it yet, but heard the ranger is a bit upset over it.
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    deadkenny wrote:
    That's the story, though I've only heard it from BoB who are very possessive over Swinley and the trails "they" built (not all trails there are theirs). They assign themselves as permit police also.

Thing with Swinley is the trails are worst kept secrets.

As for support for MTB, Swinley is okay though it's BoB and Gorrick who drive it and they are focused on particular things, especially XC and race events.

The only trails that are approved by the land owner - The Crown Estate, are those that have been built by BOB / Gorrick. BOB members even built jump gully. The landowner gets a bit annoyed by other people building trails, how would you feel if somebody sneaked into your back garden and started digging it up??

Some BOB members volunteer to act as cycle wardens for the Crown Estate, they don't assign themselves.

You can never please everybody, BOB / Gorrick spend a lot of time and money so that everybody can enjoy Swinley, if you don't like Swinley, there are lots of other places to ride :D
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • nozzac
    nozzac Posts: 408
    Exactly. WIthout BOB and Gorrick there would be little to interest MTBers there. I think that without their very responsible approach to the whole thing that the land owners would be less inclined to allow the MTB activity to get as big as it is.

However I don't agree with the "back garden" comparison. This is Crown land not a back garden. How did the Crown get their land in the first place? They just decided it was theirs back in the day. That might have been OK in 1066 but these days the public feel they have a right to share in the Crown's property. These days it's not run for the sole benefit of the monarch but is a public body running it for the benefit of the treasury now I believe. We own the treasury so you can argue that we own the land. It would be unacceptable if the public were not allowed access to it. Having said that public access does not equal mountain biking access.

Personally I think it should be more offically an MTB area as a well as being used for other outdoor activities. As long as the Crown can harvest their trees then the land is being used well. It would be good for the MTB trails to be marked as MTB only. People walking dogs up Baby Maker is a serious accident waiting to happen and a few signs could stop that.
  • mcmullej
    mcmullej Posts: 136
    Quick question re Swinley:

What's the story with night/evening riding and parking?

I understand the carpark at The Lookout closes at 8pm. Is it possible to park outside the gates? Or whatabout across the road in the Coral swimming pool? Or is there somewhere better to park up for a Friday evening ride - say 9pm to midnight ish?
  • nozzac
    nozzac Posts: 408
    mcmullej wrote:
    Quick question re Swinley:

What's the story with night/evening riding and parking?

I understand the carpark at The Lookout closes at 8pm. Is it possible to park outside the gates? Or whatabout across the road in the Coral swimming pool? Or is there somewhere better to park up for a Friday evening ride - say 9pm to midnight ish?

There is a car park at the end of the Devil's Highway, next to the roundabout going into Crowthorne that doesn't close. Also all along the roads from Crowthorne to the Lookout there are entrances with enough room to park a car. Personally i'd feel more comfortable parking in a more public spot though. Maybe in Crowthorne and then riding the few hundred yards to the Devil's Highway entrance or by Broadmoor.
  • Anonymous
    natrix wrote:
    The only trails that are approved by the land owner - The Crown Estate, are those that have been built by BOB / Gorrick. BOB members even built jump gully. The landowner gets a bit annoyed by other people building trails, how would you feel if somebody sneaked into your back garden and started digging it up??
    Not suggesting unofficial trail building at all and I often state the same about digging in your garden when people bang on about it.

What I mean is there are loads of natural trails and features that have nothing to do with BOB that are used and worn into a usable trail by riders and even walkers. There is far more of interest there than just the trails they have built.

As for ownership, as has been said elsewhere, Crown Estate is primarily now accountable to the government, are not the private property of the monarchy, and revenues go to the treasury. It's effectively our land.
    mcmullej wrote:
    I understand the carpark at The Lookout closes at 8pm.
    FYI, once you're inside the car park you should be able to get out even after it closes. Only of use if you get in before closing though.
  • cooldad
    Ride on Saturday 1or 2 ish to be decided. More in London Calling
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Swinley's going to be very muddy.
  • Stiff_Orange
    Stiff_Orange Posts: 218
    robst3 wrote:

Try this http://maps.cloudmade.com/?lat=51.37028&lng=-0.724583&zoom=14&styleId=1&opened_tab=0 it should help you get to some of the more popular tracks.
  • robst3
    deadkenny wrote:
    Swinley's going to be very muddy.

I just put some panaracer trailraker 2.1's on my rigid ready for the slush! Heading to Swinley tomorrow AM, planning on spending the majority of the day there blasting around, see how long I last though...