Transfers

takethehighroad
takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
edited September 2009 in Pro race
Courtesy of Cycling Quotient http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/transfers.asp

Interesting to see they have EBH, Lovkvist and Possoni as nailed on for Team Sky. Also, Liam Killeen? The mountain biker? I didn't know he was moving to skinny tires.

Comments

• calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Surprised Eisel and Greipel staying with Colombia. Unless Eisel is lined up as the classics guy if George, EBH and Burghart leave. If they get Cunego too, Sky might shape up as a good Classics team. Which means zilch commercially to them I guess!

Strava is not Zen.
  • Has there been a situatiion like this where you have two new teams with big budgets with very big and clear goals of getting the best come in in the same season before. Sky has obviously been doing alot of work for awhile now so they have the jump on The Shack. How likely is it that these guys can buy riders out of contracts? seems like that would put a big strain on there budgets?
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    Killeen isnt a huge surprise, he has often spoken about switching to the road - http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/article/mps/uan/1995
  • jim one
    jim one Posts: 183
    Killeen was the guy that was talked about as the GC rider to have a go at the tour before Wiggins came along this year. BC have obviously done some testing on him and decided his power to weight is in the right ball park to at least have a crack at the road. Perhaps the British Cadel Evans :lol:
  • As long as he's not the British Martinez! Or Rasmussen come to that. Like deal says, think he's been thinking about the road for some time. Always does cross in the winter too, so a good all rounder.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Another source of transfers:

http://www.wielerflits.nl/forum/topic/382/

The ones in bold are confirmed, the rest are just rumours.

Quite excited about Jack Bobridge going to Garmin. He was very noticeable at the TDU this year. The next great Australian rider?

Quite disappointed by J-Rod going to Katusha. Just... ugh. Katusha? Ugh.
  • jimycooper
    jimycooper Posts: 740
    anyone else suprised to see george hincapie go to BMC??? or did i miss something?
  • I love the question mark next to Igor Astarloa, shows how flakey the UCi's case must be.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    jimycooper wrote:
    anyone else suprised to see george hincapie go to BMC??? or did i miss something?

I heard that a couple of weeks ago, although it was pretty speculative - "a friend of a friend told me that he heard..."

The big thing was that the deal involved the team switching from Assos to Hincapie clothing. But then someone else pointed out that Andy Rihs, the owner of BMC, also owns Assos. So that's a bit strange.

But then again, BMC were a wildcard at Paris-Roubaix last year, and having Hincapie would pretty much guarantee them another invite. I figure Hincapie could live without the Tour, as long as he got to do Roubaix.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    afx237vi wrote:

Excellent thanks.

Rodriguez going to Katusha is disappointing.

No more LPR - was this solely due to Di Luca or was it always going to happen? Lampre going to be contesting some sprints now with Petacchi...they can't do much else so may well gear everything towards him.

Doping controls in Columbia were too much for Hincapie or he wants more attention and to be team leader...both plausible to me.

C-HTC losing quite some talent with EBH, Possoni and Lovkvist going - maybe they realise that C-HTC is Cav's team.

Hunter to Garmin? Lead out man?! I don't think he can beat Farrar.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • In a Norwegian newspaper EBH today confirmed leaving C-HTC. His new employer is to be annouced early september. Probably one or two options for him, but the British "model" for developing athletes and training principles seem to be close to what he's been used to from Norway. As he's an down-to-earth guy, he'll probably not only run after the best pay.

However it's not likely he'll get a daytime job:D

• C-HTC losing quite some talent with EBH, Possoni and Lovkvist going - maybe they realise that C-HTC is Cav's team.

I think it always has been in terms of sprints but Tony Martin seems to be the guy they are building GC placings around. Wouldn't be suprised if they mix the support there too. Keeping Martin and Cav along with a decent lead out train has to be their focus really and talent like Lovkvist and EBH probably are not going to hang around for those. Decent riders for whoever gets them.
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    LeviL being linked to BMC... maybe he does want to be top dog afterall?
  • afx237vi wrote:
    jimycooper wrote:

I heard that a couple of weeks ago, although it was pretty speculative - "a friend of a friend told me that he heard..."

The big thing was that the deal involved the team switching from Assos to Hincapie clothing. But then someone else pointed out that Andy Rihs, the owner of BMC, also owns Assos. So that's a bit strange.

But then again, BMC were a wildcard at Paris-Roubaix last year, and having Hincapie would pretty much guarantee them another invite. I figure Hincapie could live without the Tour, as long as he got to do Roubaix.

Assos and BMC are seperate, Assos being run by the founder Toni Meyer and BMC by someone else.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    afx237vi wrote:

Excellent thanks.

Rodriguez going to Katusha is disappointing.

No more LPR - was this solely due to Di Luca or was it always going to happen? Lampre going to be contesting some sprints now with Petacchi...they can't do much else so may well gear everything towards him.

Doping controls in Columbia were too much for Hincapie or he wants more attention and to be team leader...both plausible to me.

C-HTC losing quite some talent with EBH, Possoni and Lovkvist going - maybe they realise that C-HTC is Cav's team.

Hunter to Garmin? Lead out man?! I don't think he can beat Farrar.

Why is J Rod moving dissapointing ? think its a decent good move for him with Valverde and Luis Leon he is always going to play 2nd fiddle at Caisse. He could be Katushas man for the hilly classics something he isnt at the moment.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    I think the point is that Katusha proved a bit crap at classics. Completely agree he needs space to thrive.

Strava is not Zen.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    calvjones wrote:
    I think the point is that Katusha proved a bit crap at classics. Completely agree he needs space to thrive.

Katusha won the Amstel Gold, which isn't too shoddy.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    calvjones wrote:
    And obviously the additional cash they're offering will help a bit ;)
  • moray_gub
    Timoid. wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

Katusha won the Amstel Gold, which isn't too shoddy.

and 2nd at Roubaix with Pozzato
  • moray_gub
    bikerZA wrote:
    calvjones wrote:
    And obviously the additional cash they're offering will help a bit ;)

I think that is the reason most cyclists move teams despite all the protestations to the contrary , its a job they go where the cash is just like you or i would i suppose
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Is it me or is there a lot more focus on the transfers this year? My memory suggests there's always been coverage of who's moving teams but this year the likes of cyclingnews.com are even covering the rumours.
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    Kléber wrote:
    Is it me or is there a lot more focus on the transfers this year? My memory suggests there's always been coverage of who's moving teams but this year the likes of cyclingnews.com are even covering the rumours.

this must be related to sky and radioshack?
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Ballan to Quick-Step!

That'd be immense! Fingers crossed the rumour's true.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Leipheimer to BMC with Hincapie - quite a shock he isn't going to the Shack
  • teagar
    micron wrote:
    Leipheimer to BMC with Hincapie - quite a shock he isn't going to the Shack

I bet he thinks it's about time he was top dog in the team for once.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Paulhino to...Radioshack - remkinds me of Beltran going to USDisco after Coast folded - poached from under Ullrich's nose. However, Contador is considerably tougher than the somewhat fragile Ullrich
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    With Levi in BMC, they will hopefully get into better races. Their kit and bikes are so so nice.

Ballan to Q-S is unusual as they will now have four real threats for the Classics which is a bit much.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Answering Kleber from a few posts back, I think there is definately more focus on transfers this year prboably due to:

Contador and Armstrong going their seperate ways
    Radio Shack being created
    Sky being created, and all the British interest in that
    Disappearance of LPR and a sudden surplus of riders
    C-HTC shedding good riders
    Wiggo suddenly being a GC contender

Well, that's what is interesting me this year!
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,042
    RE Katusha

Surprised that they prospectively have both Maxim & Valentin Iglinsky, signed up fo 2010. Valentin, the younger, is touted by Vino, as the next big talent from Kazakhstan.

What gives, I would have thought that they would be part of the new Team 'Vino 4 Ever' Astana?

Either:-
    Katusha has made an offer they can't refuse
    Astana is still looking very shaky for next year
    Or, Contador is staying and is selecting the roster as per Vino's offer.

Can only speculate :?
  • teagar
    With Levi in BMC, they will hopefully get into better races. Their kit and bikes are so so nice.

Ballan to Q-S is unusual as they will now have four real threats for the Classics which is a bit much.

It'd be AMAZING.

But I'm a big Quick-Step fan....