The Off Topic thread

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited September 2009 in The bottom bracket
Booyakasha!

I've noticed that a lot of threads go off topic within a couple of posts, however, the new subject for discussion usually has some tenuous link to the original. The aim of this thread is for succesive posts to have nothing whatsoever to do with each other but still be informative and/or amusing. You should also try to stay away from well-worn topics such as doping, windproof and waterproof jackets and "which bike is best" questions. So,

Has anyone placed a bet on the chances of Cavendish winning green in next year's TdF yet, and what odds did you get?
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    Who's your favourite Regency Rake? Mine's John 'Mad Jack' Mytton. Choice quotes from Wikipedia include -

"In 1826, as a result of a bet, he is said to have ridden his horse into the Bedford Hotel (later Midland Bank), opposite the Town Hall in Leamington Spa, up the grand staircase and onto the balcony, from which he jumped, still seated on his horse, over the diners in the restaurant below, and out through the window onto the Parade."

"He once rode a bear into his drawing-room, in full hunting costume. The bear carried him very quietly for a time; but on being pricked by the spur he bit his rider through the calf of his leg. Despite being bitten, Mad Jack kept the bear 'Nell 'as a pet. "

"Mytton was also a drinking man and could drink eight bottles of port wine a day with a helping of brandy. He managed to kill one of his horses, Sportsman, by making it drink a bottle of port."
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    One of the "famous" people who are buried in the Cemetery at the bottom of my Road as featured in another thread is Robert Brown who according to Wiki "realised the seemingly random movement of particles suspended in a fluid" through his mathmatical model, Brownian Motion.

Not to be confused with the Brown Motion that made me run to the toilet this morning :oops: . Im not well, but have made it to work :P
  • throbbing gently between
    If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    My porridge this morning had the texture of vomit. It's these oats that my Mum's started buying now, they're too small. I had to mix it with some stewed rhubarb just to be able to eat it. :(
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I made the most tasty chicken gravy from scratch this afternoon. I followed Mary Berr's advice and used a teaspoon of good quality strawberry jam in the gravy and it worked wonders. Try it yourself, you will not regret it.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Well, I've been meaning to ask this. My favourite curry is Jalfriezi, what's your fave?
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • mmitchell88
    mmitchell88 Posts: 340
    I've started watching Big Brother with some degree of regularity. They should arm the housemates and see what happens.
    Making a cup of coffee is like making love to a beautiful woman. It's got to be hot. You've got to take your time. You've got to stir... gently and firmly. You've got to grind your beans until they squeak.
    And then you put in the milk.
  • Anonymous
    I'm tempted to buy some white arm warmers and matching over-socks from Prendas cyclismo for about £15, but Mrs lite will go mental if I buy any more gear this year, what am I going to do ?
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Hi

Love from will.
  • pottssteve
    Ok, people, a recap. Posts #6 and #7 fail because they continue the food topic starte previously. Anyway, I always wondered why the two sides of a table tennis bat were different colours...
  • Anonymous
    I spent 2 days at the Corona factory on the mexican/belize border out of my mind on peyote and beer, back in 1993. Slept in a hammock and was laughed at by locals. Had a nice time.
  • pottssteve
    dcmlite,
    That's interesting, but did you know that there are around 1000 species of bamboo plant? A type of grass, bamboo is the fastest-growing plant on Earth; it can grow as fast as 121 cm in a 24-hour period. It can also reach maximum growth rate of over one meter per hour for short periods of time. Amazing!
  • PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    my car let out a big smoke screen this morning as i passed a truck, uummphh, that's diesels for you
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    Evil Knievel is becoming a hero of mine, due to the quote
    "Bones heal, chicks dig scars, pain is temporary, glory is forever"
    After two crashes in a week and a day, and a nice bit of road rash on my arm from one of them, I have just decided to "go for it".
    On a side note, also going to use this new found MTFUness to tell someone just how attracted I am to her.
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • dbb
    dbb Posts: 323
    i received a 5 quid off voucher from Wiggle yesterday - how should i spend it?

(deliberately baited post - let's see who goes for it)???
    regards,
    dbb
  • trekhead
    trekhead Posts: 626
    my brother does a lot of work in the Guinness plant in Dublin and also Magners, but he lives in Stockton
    ole ginger b*ll*cks / the ginger ninja
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Where is stockton?

How does one get to Dublin for a guinness every day?

Is the Guinness world records related to the Guinness beer?
  • Nadder
    Nadder Posts: 73
    just ate some houmous - it was good
  • Just finished a very nice chicken sandwich washed down with a bottle of Stella,
    so gonna clean my chain and inflate my tyres for tonights ride. :)

which method should i use?
    trackpump, handpump or CO2......................................................................
  • Stewie Griffin
    I was late for work again this morning :oops:
  • Cut my thumb whilst at Twin Lakes yesterday in an embarrasing 'umbrella incident'. On the plus side the first aider was lovely and even my wife found her attractive :D
  • pottssteve
    It's been raining for most of the day here - 100% humidity according to the HK observatory earlier on. However, it's stopped now so I've just been upstairs to see how the bush I repotted yeseterday was doing. It's getting really big.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Where's my comb gone?
  • Stewie Griffin
    Im starving, how long until lunch. Is anyone going up the high road?
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Why are Thameslink trains so bl00dy slow via Tulse Hill & Herne Hill?
  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    I prefer academic diaries to ordinary ones, and I'm not in education!!!!
    Wild huh?
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • Stewie Griffin
    Tesco are doing 2x330ml bottles of Copella English Apple juice for £1.60. Thats jolly nice of them.

Feel a bit disloyal to Sainsburys though, please dont anyone tell them I went to Tescos :cry: .
  • iainment
    Orthotics, if you wear them do you still need to use motion control running shoes or can you use neutral shoes?
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • iainment
    CATLIKE stealth may not be a quality you automatically associate with elephants. Nevertheless, these huge animals are capable of moving silently. The spongy cushions of their feet act as shock absorbers, muffling any sounds underfoot.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    On vacation a few weeks back. Noticed a turtle in the middle of the road. Thought I'd stop
    and help him the rest of the way across, before he got smashed by a car. Pulled over
    to the side of the road, unclipped the wrong pedal, immediately fell over, took a fair bit of hide of my elbow and knee, felt stupid as hell. Did save the turtle though.