Lance,not about the team ?

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,873
    dennisn wrote:

What about my hypothesis? He was bored and wanted to race again? I'm of the opinion that his reasons don't have to be complicated or have plots, sub plots, or whatever. I think
    maybe people want to think this but maybe it was just "I miss racing".

I think there is something to that.... he brought a boat load of issues along with him thou
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Just been skimming through the "content" of this thread and I cannot help wondering why LA could not stay away. You see, he has been back 5 minutes and already we have all of the associated circus, lies, rumour, rule breaking and bullshit that folllows the chosen one around like a bad smell.
    Armstrong is not good for the sport he is fucking it all up. We were just starting to get back on a even keel and now look at it. Lance ,please for the love of god, just fuck right off and take all your petty crap with you. Wanker.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • markwalker
    markwalker Posts: 953
    wicked wrote:
    Just been skimming through the "content" of this thread and I cannot help wondering why LA could not stay away. You see, he has been back 5 minutes and already we have all of the associated circus, lies, rumour, rule breaking and bullshit that folllows the chosen one around like a bad smell.
    Armstrong is not good for the sport he is ******* it all up. We were just starting to get back on a even keel and now look at it. Lance ,please for the love of god, just fark right off and take all your petty crap with you. Wanker.

Are you signing that Wanker? If not couldnt agree more :)
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    edited July 2009
    markwalker wrote:
    wicked wrote:
    Armstrong is not good for the sport he is ******* it all up. We were just starting to get back on a even keel and now look at it. Lance ,please for the love of god, just fark right off and take all your petty crap with you. Wanker.

Are you signing that Wanker? If not couldnt agree more :)

Oh very droll. Really. Please no more. My sides cannot take it.

As a leading authority on the subject of wankers why don't you tell me? :D
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    dennisn wrote:

What about my hypothesis? He was bored and wanted to race again? I'm of the opinion that his reasons don't have to be complicated or have plots, sub plots, or whatever. I think

I think there is something to that.... he brought a boat load of issues along with him thou

Well, according to just about everyone(on this site) he has always had "issues", so what's changed? :wink::wink:
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    When people talk about Lance's 'family' I have to say it does confuse me.

Are we talking about Kristin Richard? Sheryl Crow? Tory Burch? Kate Hudson? Anna Hansen?

A good role model for relationships and family life...

AP Photo
    610x.jpg

Isn't there something here that is similar to those Mafia Parties we sometimes Glimpse.

I just hope that AC, having seen the Exit of :twisted: Armstrong :twisted: is now, not going to be a victim like the many other former Disco / Postal team mates.
    Then with this obvious dislike he has had to endure and the possibility he feels that Omerta is not aplicable to him.
    I ask the question but with :twisted: Armstrong :twisted: having different Hotel rooms with his Minders at the door, that AC wouldn't know anything to talk about.

As someone here has said that we can now continue and enjoy the rest of the cycle racing season as the texan and his docile followers slide into the sunset, somewhere in the west. Bye, Bye and follow him back next year. (did he say something about Ireland ?? that's not for me then)
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Kléber wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    What about my hypothesis? He was bored and wanted to race again? I'm of the opinion that his reasons don't have to be complicated or have plots, sub plots, or whatever. I think maybe people want to think this but maybe it was just "I miss racing".

Has he enjoyed it dennis? He looked miserable in Paris, a smile on the podium was very rare. Like I say, he doesn't seem to enjoy things, as if he's filled with too many negative feelings.

If he felt that AC had betrayed the team with that little breakaway, then it's entirely possible for him to carry that grudge all the way to Paris. I've known people to hold grudges for years. Sometimes for so long they don't remember what they were about.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited July 2009
    iainf72 wrote:
    I think he's even signed up for a one dayer in France later in August.

Is that the GP Plouay?

Bizzarely I read that he will comclude his season there - does that mean he isn't doing the Vuleta? I find that hard to believe...
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    dennisn wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

Well, according to just about everyone(on this site) he has always had "issues", so what's changed? :wink::wink:

He went away, people began to talk about cycling instead of Lance Armstrong. A gentle peace descended over the land of internet-forum-world. People watched bike racing and talked with civility.

He came back... and look what happened.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    I wonder if his kids got to choose the colour of their outfits?
  • markwalker
    markwalker Posts: 953
    I wonder if his kids got to choose the colour of their outfits?

yeah i can imagine " hey dad, I thought we were all wearing yellow today!" ha no wonder he looked fed up :)
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Someone on another thread drew attention to this link. V.funny and many of the posters on here will appreciate it. It's banned from a certain cyclists twitter apparently :D

www.nyvelocity.com/toto
    M.Rushton
  • frenchfighter
    Another fact about Contador:

He has also become the third rider in history to win the Giro and the Vuelta in the same year, after Merckx and Battaglin.

Greatness.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    By the way, Contador didn't take part in the Giro as Lance was designated as the undisputed leader.

That is another Grand Tour Contador could have added quite easily. Who would have stopped him - Sastre, Menchov, Di Luca. Not likely.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960

You're starting to sound like that girl off American Pie. "And this one time... At Band Camp..."

We get it. You love him.
  • jamlala
    jamlala Posts: 284
    frenchy, you're scarily infatuated with AC. And as a newbie to cycling I am trying to take people at face value. There's mudslinging within and outside of teams in all sports why is this any different? LA happens to be the biggest name cycling has ever known, live with it. AC may prove to be the greatest yet, but currently the results don't say that.

They can all blame the teams and other factors, but again as with many other sports, whose name is on the trophy? The means don't matter, its the end result.

Now please go back to your shrine so this thread can be wrapped up. Its getting dull!
    Cannondale Supersix 105 2013- summer bike - love it!
    Cannondale CAAD12 - racing fun!
    Trek Crockett 5 - CX bike, muddy fun!
    Scott Scale 940 MTB XC racer.
    __@    
    _`\<,_   
    ---- (*)/ (*)
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Actually when it comes to results then Eddy Merckx is 'the biggest name cycling has ever known, live with it.'
    M.Rushton
  • jamlala
    jamlala Posts: 284
    mrushton wrote:
    Actually when it comes to results then Eddy Merckx is 'the biggest name cycling has ever known, live with it.'

I don't agree, 'biggest name' to me doesn't include results. Thats why results were linked to 'greatness' ini my book.

David Beckham may be the biggest name in football, doesn't make him the greatest.
    Cannondale Supersix 105 2013- summer bike - love it!
    Cannondale CAAD12 - racing fun!
    Trek Crockett 5 - CX bike, muddy fun!
    Scott Scale 940 MTB XC racer.
    __@    
    _`\<,_   
    ---- (*)/ (*)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

He has also become the third rider in history to win the Giro and the Vuelta in the same year, after Merckx and Battaglin.

Greatness.

How many have tried? Probably only a handful. You only do those two in the same season if you've been excluded from the Tour (by his sponsors in Merckx's case)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Plus Merckx did it in April and May rather than May and September.
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    - LA will be a year older

Surely everyone ages a year in... a year

???
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Kléber wrote:
    There are several competing ideas as to why Armstrong decided on a come back.
    If he came back because he was bored, it doesn't say much for a mature intellect.

But maybe he came back because he wanted to be the oldest rider to ever stand on the final GC podium.
    And forgot that Pou-pou did this not just when he was 38 but also when he was 40.

Oh no, LA might be around for another 4 years. God help us!
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    If you want to talk about 'great' cyclists in this Tour, look no further than someone like Big George Hincapie.

Busted collarbone, but refuses to get it x-rayed because he knows they'll have to pull him out of the final 4 days of the Tour. So he rides with it broken - and he's on the front, pulling like a diesel locomotive, right into the last corner in Paris, just so his 'boy' can have it a little bit easier to the finish line.

To me, that is greatness.
  • Peakraider
    Peakraider Posts: 143
    So I am guessing you admire Lance's conquests.

He has five publicized knotches on his belt. Taking them like Cav's wins:

6293_99640154524_588684524_1954515_4103016_n.jpg

I couldn't care less what your opinions are on marriage, dating, divorce and the like. His actions do not impress me and are not ideal for his kids.

French: I like your posts on cycling.

But you're getting a bit weird about Lance and it's making me doubt the other stuff your write. Ease off. Do you secretly love him? Neutral dismissal of the bully boy is far more effective.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    - LA will be a year older

Surely everyone ages a year in... a year

???

You know what I mean; LA got up the mountains quite well this year. He just couldn't handle the accelerations of Andy and AC (nor anyone else who attacked in Stage 15) - and that has been widely attributed to his age.

Well, next year he is a year older; and it's just as likely he will struggle against these accelerations again.

Andy and AC will of course be 12 months older too, but they aren't going to lose this explosiveness. If anything, they both (Andy definitely) will be more complete riders.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    Suffice to say that if you can't see how much more admirable and respectable Contador is over Lance and how his performances and results show him already to be the greater rider then I feel sorry for you.

Strange comment this?....yes I really like Contador...he's so graceful on the bike and he's a great champion....BUT 'Already a greater rider than Armstrong?'....Mmmm....your on the wind up sonny boy....He's good awlright....but he ain't that good....Mr Ullrich on song would have beaten Contador never mind LA....

Even if you really despise LA you simply cannot ignore his acheivements?...only the other 'greats' are in the same field....Merckx,Hinault,Indurian you know?....and after having 4 years off the scene putting weight on and having a more normal life etc...then to turn it all around in 10 months with broken collar bones and all...staggering!....a podium place on the TDF after all that nearing the age of 38?....it really is incredible?....

I think theres only maybe one other cylist who's ever lived who could have did a similar comeback after such a long retirement?.....Merckx.....

I point you to both Coppi and Bartali, the latter of which certainly had his best years robbed by the war and came back to win a second Tour and a couple more Giros, as L'Equipe said at the time "Bartali, by a generation!"
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • He went away, people began to talk about cycling instead of Lance Armstrong. A gentle peace descended over the land of internet-forum-world. People watched bike racing and talked with civility.

He came back... and look what happened.

ha...nice :)
  • frenchfighter
    Pokerface wrote:
    If you want to talk about 'great' cyclists in this Tour, look no further than someone like Big George Hincapie.

Busted collarbone, but refuses to get it x-rayed because he knows they'll have to pull him out of the final 4 days of the Tour. So he rides with it broken - and he's on the front, pulling like a diesel locomotive, right into the last corner in Paris, just so his 'boy' can have it a little bit easier to the finish line.

To me, that is greatness.

Yeah tough stuff old George, just like Tyler Hamilton.

Here is a picture for your desktop background:

fok37r.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    JamLala wrote:
    as a newbie to cycling

Maybe in a couple of years you will understand why Contador is great.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    RichN95 wrote:

Greatness.

How many have tried? Probably only a handful. You only do those two in the same season if you've been excluded from the Tour (by his sponsors in Merckx's case)

Rider X won every single UCI race in 2010.

For me that makes him great.

But then, no one else has tried to do that.

So for you that means he isn't.

Nice logic.
    Contador is the Greatest