Stage 9 - St Gaudens > Tarbes SPOILER

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    The silly immature thing about AC's attack...
    I guess that Lance's attack today was more along the lines of what you would expect right?!

Since you don't seem to know very much about bike racing, let me expain how the early parts of the race develope. Ok?

Attacks start early on and breakaways form. The contending teams keep reeling ones they don't like back in until there is a group everyone is content with, and then they let them go.

Large breaks are dangerous because of their aero advantage and, in the case I think you are talking about, Voigt was in it which could have created an advantage for Andy Schleck on Col du Tourmale.

So he chased, forcing the contenders to chase him, which broke up the breakaway.

Am I going to fast for you?

It was smart. Something you expect from a team leader.

Umm... really? You expect a team leader to chase down breakaways on his own when his team is stacked with world class domestiques like Popovych and Zubeldia?

How many breaks do you remember Armstrong chasing down between 99 and 05?
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    One quite famous one.

Strava is not Zen.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,874
    showboating
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    calvjones wrote:
    One quite famous one.

:D
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited July 2009
    jackhammer you certainly provide a large amount of laughter for me!

FYI

1. Heinrich Haussler (Cervelo) 31mins
    2. Jens Voigt (Saxo Bank) 23mins
    3. Danny Pate (Garmin) 1hr 5mins
    4. Christophe Riblon (Ag2r) 3mins
    5. Benoit Vaugrenard (FdJ) 44mins
    6. Franco Pellizotti (Liquigas) 15mins
    7. Daniele Righi (Liquigas) 50mins
    8. Stephane Auge (Cofidis) 57mins
    9. Leonardo Duque (Cofidis) 47mins
    10. Markus Fothen (Milram) 35mins
    11. Pierrik Fedrigo (BBox) 40mins
    12. Stijn Devolder (Quick Step) 31mins
    13. Simon Geschke (Skil) 50mins

So only ONE 'danger' man there which is Riblon. But then he is not really a danger man as he is not going to maintain that position and they all know that. As afx237vi rightly pointed out, the team leaders don't chase breaks.

Anyway, that is not really the point. What you missed actually is that there is something going on between Cofidis and Lance/Bruyneel which was what the fuss with Lance was about...I am not 100% sure what it is because I didn't catch exactly what the commentators said, but I have an inkling that it is about the radio ban. Bully-boy Bruyneel is not happy with it so has drawn up a petition which 14 teams have signed and (I think) Cofidis hasn't, hence Lance's bully-boy move. As I say I am not sure of this but it wouldn't surprise me if true.

Oh, btw, Lance had another US celebrity entertaining him after the stage - this time it was Robin Williams : )
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    calvjones wrote:
    One quite famous one.

Fair point :lol:
  • mididoctors
    calvjones wrote:
    One quite famous one.
    :lol:
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • frenchfighter
    Jackhammer I know you don't follow cycling too closely so in case you don't know what the others are referring to, may I bring your attention to Stage 18 of the 2004 Tour de France.

6653.8595.f.jpg

And here is the quote: "if you ride with Simeoni I will call my team up and kill this break away." Bully-boy Lance is not referred to as such for no reason. If you want to know the reason behind his actions then you can google it and see who is the moral victor.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    edited October 2012
    Worst case of helmet hair I have ever seen!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • jackhammer you certainly provide a large amount of laughter for me!

FYI

1. Heinrich Haussler (Cervelo) 31mins
    2. Jens Voigt (Saxo Bank) 23mins
    3. Danny Pate (Garmin) 1hr 5mins
    4. Christophe Riblon (Ag2r) 3mins
    5. Benoit Vaugrenard (FdJ) 44mins
    6. Franco Pellizotti (Liquigas) 15mins
    7. Daniele Righi (Liquigas) 50mins
    8. Stephane Auge (Cofidis) 57mins
    9. Leonardo Duque (Cofidis) 47mins
    10. Markus Fothen (Milram) 35mins
    11. Pierrik Fedrigo (BBox) 40mins
    12. Stijn Devolder (Quick Step) 31mins
    13. Simon Geschke (Skil) 50mins

So only ONE 'danger' man there which is Riblon. But then he is not really a danger man as he is not going to maintain that position and they all know that. As afx237vi rightly pointed out, the team leaders don't chase breaks.

Anyway, that is not really the point. What you missed actually is that there is something going on between Cofidis and Lance/Bruyneel which was what the fuss with Lance was about...I am not 100% sure what it is because I didn't catch exactly what the commentators said, but I have an inkling that it is about the radio ban. Bully-boy Bruyneel is not happy with it so has drawn up a petition which 14 teams have signed and (I think) Cofidis hasn't, hence Lance's bully-boy move. As I say I am not sure of this but it wouldn't surprise me if true.

Oh, btw, Lance had another US celebrity entertaining him after the stage - this time it was Robin Williams : )

you are boring me... if you don't recognize the size of that break and Voigt's presence in it as a threat then I shouldn't bother responding to you.

He certainly wasn't attacking Alberto as you ignorantly implied.

You call Johan a bully when 14 directors agree with him. The idea that Lance would address that in the race is moronic...

like i say. you are boring me.

you want something to do go back and respond to the post of mine you are avoiding.
  • frenchfighter
    edited July 2009
    Haha, please this is getting ridiculous.

In order:

- If Voigt's presence was a threat, as you seem to think, despite not being noted for his climbing and not being a GC contender, why was he one of the four that were allowed to get away? Think before you write.

- I certainly didn't say he was attacking Contador. Simply making a facetious comment as you criticized an attack a few kms from a summit finish and yet we have bravado from Lance more than 100k out.

- Johan is the ring-leader. I don't think he is a bully because of this, far from it; he has a long history.

- May I refer you back to Lance's actions in 2004. An example of him addressing issues which took place outside of the race. I am quite sure he would take it upon himself to act in such a way.

LOL
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Jackhammer I know you don't follow cycling too closely so in case you don't know what the others are referring to, may I bring your attention to Stage 18 of the 2004 Tour de France.

6653.8595.f.jpg

And here is the quote: "if you ride with Simeoni I will call my team up and kill this break away." Bully-boy Lance is not referred to as such for no reason. If you want to know the reason behind his actions then you can google it and see who is the moral victor.

A move that was applauded by nearly every rider in the peloton.

Which you would have known if you'd have been paying attention.

Seeing Lance chasing him down, then seeing Simeoni getting an earful from rider after rider as he slinked off to the back of the peloton was one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

When are you going to quit underestimating me?
  • mididoctors
    mortals mortals

please......
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    edited July 2009

Seeing Lance chasing him down, then seeing Simeoni getting an earful from rider after rider as he slinked off to the back of the peloton was one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Yep some riders are even reported to have spat at him. Really cool day for pro cycling that.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • afx237vi

That says as much about you as it does about LA :roll:
  • Haha, please this is getting ridiculous.

In order:

- If Voigt's presence was a threat, as you seem to think, despite not being noted for his climbing and not being a GC contender, why was he one of the four that were allowed to get away? Think before you write.

- I certainly didn't say he was attacking Contador. Simply making a facetious comment as you criticized an attack a few kms from a summit finish and yet we have bravado from Lance more than 100k out.

- Johan is the ring-leader. I don't think he is a bully because of this, far from it; he has a long history.

- May I refer you back to Lance's actions in 2004. An example of him addressing issues which took place outside of the race. I am quite sure he would take it upon himself to act in such a way.

LOL

The last 2 days have bored the hell out of me.

Lance was chasing down an early break, not attacking. Ever time he scratches his nuts someone thinks it's big news.
  • frenchfighter
    I know, you have my condolences. It really must be boring for you being wrong, making bad calls and trying to dig yourself out of the holes you have dug for yourself rather than admitting you are wrong...ALL the time.

You still don't get it - he wasn't chasing a break and if he was then that is stupid as the team leaders have domestiques for that.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I know, you have my condolences. It really must be boring for you being wrong, making bad calls and trying to dig yourself out of the holes you have dug for yourself rather than admitting you are wrong...ALL the time.

You still don't get it - he wasn't chasing a break and if he was then that is stupid as the team leaders have domestiques for that.

If you really think Lance Armstrong would be so stupid as to attack today early in a stage with a 70 mile downhill run in to the finish then you are truly ignorant of the sport.
  • frenchfighter
    Maybe you need to google what the word facetious means.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Maybe you need to google what the word facetious means.

You can't claim both than I am wrong about him attacking and that you were joking.
    If you were joking then you admit he was not attacking and I am right. You can't have it both ways.

Or is saying something stupid and following it up with I was joking one or your common tactics?
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Haha, please this is getting ridiculous.

In order:

LOL

The last 2 days have bored the hell out of me.

Lance was chasing down an early break, not attacking. Ever time he scratches his nuts someone thinks it's big news.

nuts?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431

... Ever time he scratches his nuts someone thinks it's big news.

Well I guess that would be big news....

Ok I'll get my coat :oops:
    www.dotcycling.com
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    I can't find Danilo Napolitano in today's results list. Has he abandoned?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    csp wrote:
    Yes
  • rokkala
    rokkala Posts: 649

Whats that to do with anything? Robin Williams has been coming to the tour with Armstrong for god knows how long.
  • frenchfighter
    Broken stem!

Photo: Graham Watson

8.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    Kléber wrote:
    csp wrote:
    Yes

Missed the time cut. Which is quite something, because he finished behind Kenny Van Hummel, who was 38'03" down and did not miss the time cut.
  • afx237vi
    Broken stem!

Photo: Graham Watson

8.jpg

Treks, eh?

57292402-300-90-300-70.jpg

:wink:
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    afx237vi wrote:
    Broken stem!