Stage 9 - St Gaudens > Tarbes SPOILER

Comments

• SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Will Astana try and get time on Andy now??
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    bloody schleck! Took my ptp to pull him back... not that Jens had a chance anyhow...
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    WOW. Jens Voigt is the man!! He got Andy back in no time!

BTW, why didn't Astana jump to the front and try and ride away from Andy?
  • SpaceJunk
    Who you going for?

Glenn Close or Bill Lawry?

I hope Fredrigo, but Pellizotti deserves it just as much.
  • rokkala
    rokkala Posts: 649
    Cos they are sugar and spice and all things nice?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Pellizotti's playing Fedrigo like a fiddle.
  • rokkala
    rokkala Posts: 649
    wooo!
  • SpaceJunk
    Great win. Well done!
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    great finish for Federigo, by a NOSE
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    edited July 2009
    Massive thighs, that Federigo.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    Moomaloid wrote:
    great finish for Federigo, by a NOSE

Federigo has better facial aerodynamics
    www.dotcycling.com
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Kléber wrote:
    Pellizotti's playing Fedrigo like a fiddle.

The fiddle got away! ;)
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Freire got the bunch sprint for 3rd.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Perrick by a nose! Oh, I see it's been called already. :oops:
    Great rabbit and hare chase.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    nocentini will be in yellow until verbier
    www.dotcycling.com
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,874
    edited July 2009
    Rojas 5th... after all that work

even worse Peter Velits 4th!! grrrrrrrrrrr! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

great stage

having stages in the mountains that are not opportunities for the GC contenders opens up both the polka dot and green jerseys

you can't just go on one long break in the hills and then just sit in the GC group and make the occasional mountain top sprint. and the mountain stages favoring breaks encourages green jersey contenders to make the effort
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    How on Earth did two people end up picking Peter Velits for PTP?! Great shout, however they did it.

My longshot of Le Mevel was 12th. So frustrating! :evil:
  • mididoctors
    afx237vi wrote:
    How on Earth did two people end up picking Peter Velits for PTP?! Great shout, however they did it.

checking out the bunch sprint finish from the day before (similar deal hills with a long run in)

hence Rojas was also picked...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • afx237vi
    I guess so. Looking at his past results, he's an U23 World Champion and finished 10th in MSR this year... so maybe someone to keep an eye on.
  • mididoctors
    afx237vi wrote:
    I guess so. Looking at his past results, he's an U23 World Champion and finished 10th in MSR this year... so maybe someone to keep an eye on.

My take was tha a bunch of us thought friere would get stuck to the tourmalet and since the run in was longer than the day before the break would get caught..

you could see guys in the bunch sprint stage 8 were almost rehearsing the next day

Mainard from cofidis was pretty desperate to get into the break today..

the ride the two lads did today was impressive
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    The rtbf commentators couldn't stop mentionning the sad state of this stage. How that if a sprinter might win a stage with the Tourmalet it would be disrespectful to its history and the many stories that unfolded on its slopes.

Very glad the break succeeded - they worked seamlessly together. Good work by two of the Liquigas team to disrupt the sprinters teams in the chase.

Lampre is a non-entity and LPR should have had their ticket instead - Di Luca and Pettachi would have let some fireworks out of the bag.
    The silly immature thing about AC's attack...
    I guess that Lance's attack today was more along the lines of what you would expect right?!

Reuters:
    610x.jpg
    AP Photo:
    610x.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,485
    afx237vi wrote:

Because he went for the sprint yesterday but went too early and was 9th or 10th so I thought he'd hang in and sprint again today. He still went early mind.

I thought a small break would go but didn't know if they'd stay away so went for some points rather than glory. :D
  • mididoctors
    andyp wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Because he went for the sprint yesterday but went too early and was 9th or 10th so I thought he'd hang in and sprint again today. He still went early mind.

I thought a small break would go but didn't know if they'd stay away so went for some points rather than glory. :D

he may have went early but my guy hardly went at all!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

and Caisse were the most likley team to chase in numbers after the tourmalet....

I had it all figured... could show my working out in the margin and everything
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    afx237vi wrote:

Well, you should have known Fedrigo was the nose to pick! :P
    I did....elsewhere.......ooooh....erm.... :oops: :wink:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • afx237vi
    Of course, Fedrigo was a good pick too, but in a stage like that there are almost too many hopeless Frenchmen to choose from... hence my pick of Le Mevel. Chavanel, Auge, Casar, Dessel, Roy, Lequatre... they all kinda blur into one.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    I saw him winning a stage of some relatively minor stage race a couple of months ago, chasing down a few fellow breakaway riders in the final 500m. Somewhere near Armentiers/Kemmelberg -- can't remember the name of the race, but I remember that aerodymanic conk of a nose.
  • afx237vi
    I saw him winning a stage of some relatively minor stage race a couple of months ago, chasing down a few fellow breakaway riders in the final 500m. Somewhere near Armentiers/Kemmelberg -- can't remember the name of the race, but I remember that aerodymanic conk of a nose.

4 Days of Dunkirk?

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road.php ... dunkirk095
  • The silly immature thing about AC's attack...
    I guess that Lance's attack today was more along the lines of what you would expect right?!

Since you don't seem to know very much about bike racing, let me expain how the early parts of the race develope. Ok?

Attacks start early on and breakaways form. The contending teams keep reeling ones they don't like back in until there is a group everyone is content with, and then they let them go.

Large breaks are dangerous because of their aero advantage and, in the case I think you are talking about, Voigt was in it which could have created an advantage for Andy Schleck on Col du Tourmale.

So he chased, forcing the contenders to chase him, which broke up the breakaway.

Am I going to fast for you?

It was smart. Something you expect from a team leader.
  • mididoctors
    afx237vi wrote:

Well, you should have known Fedrigo was the nose to pick! :P
    I did....elsewhere.......ooooh....erm.... :oops: :wink:

yeah right two hours a go
  • shakey88
    shakey88 Posts: 289
    The silly immature thing about AC's attack...

Since you don't seem to know very much about bike racing, let me expain how the early parts of the race develope. Ok?

Attacks start early on and breakaways form. The contending teams keep reeling ones they don't like back in until there is a group everyone is content with, and then they let them go.

Large breaks are dangerous because of their aero advantage and, in the case I think you are talking about, Voigt was in it which could have created an advantage for Andy Schleck on Col du Tourmale.

So he chased, forcing the contenders to chase him, which broke up the breakaway.

Am I going to fast for you?

It was smart. Something you expect from a team leader.

:roll: Tw@t