Specialized Secteur - I've bought one, has anyone else ?

Comments

• hilza
    hilza Posts: 43
    postman wrote:
    Anyone had any trouble with the tyres .I have read a lot of people having trouble with multipule punctures .

Or just down to bad luck .

And if so what tyres have you put on ?

I've kept the all condition sport on and I've only had one, from the smallest imaginable thorn 3months into owning her.
  • guttertrash
    guttertrash Posts: 147
    My Secteur is a month old, and had 4 punctures on the original tyres in that time. I've switched them to the Continental GatorSkins.
    Ribble New Sportive
    Specialized Pitch Pro
  • I have a Specialized Secteur Elite and when i went in to pick the bike up, I noticed the bike coulor/decals differ slightly to the bike pictured on the Specialized website.
    Not much but the down tube (Specialized) decals and surrounding colourway look different.
    Has anyone who owns the Elite noticed a diff in the downtube decals and coulours?
    Not that bothered just interested to know if mine is an odd one!
    1nca
  • postman
    postman Posts: 120
    I was informed that a guy at HQ decided the Spesh name needed an upgrade so ordered the change on the frame .

Mine has the very nice block lettering .

I much prefer it to the flash .
  • postman wrote:
    I was informed that a guy at HQ decided the Spesh name needed an upgrade so ordered the change on the frame .

Mine has the very nice block lettering .

I much prefer it to the flash .

Thanks postman, I feel a little happier knowing that mine is not an odd one.

How do you find the Avatar saddle?
    1nca
  • postman
    Not been out on it yet .And no chance this weekend .

Concerend about the tyres considering my Galaxy on Swalbe Marathon Plus seem bomb proof .

And the gearing changing .Just been to grease mine in the garage .Might give it another going over before i go out .
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Had mine a couple of months, no punctures, not been able to use it much though as I have been ill with asthma, but been putting on the miles since recovering and not had one yet and thats all around the centre of London and the back roads of south west Scotland where I bought it.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    edited April 2010
    How do you find the Avatar saddle?

mmm, I wasn't too happy when I got the Secteur and it turned up with a Rival instead of an Avatar (despite the Spesh website promising the latter). Anyway, I tried the "reasonable substitute" for a month or so but it just didn't feel right. Bought an Avatar. Blimey! Instant improvement. Very comfortable (for me) and I haven't looked back.

Oh, I have found the All Condition Pro II's very good although that could be luck with the fairy.

I am thinking of treating myself to a set of Fulcrum 5's (but only after reaching my personal goals set for the summer) so I would be interested if anyone else has upgraded wheels and found it worthwhile (as in noticeable)?
  • postman
    Ichecked mine after tea and i have a Rival 143 saddle .

Not much to do about that what with manufacturer can change specs .

But i might just look on the shop website and check .
  • postman
    Checked site and avater is specified .So did some reviews and it looks like a personal thing .

Some think the Avatar is crap some don't .

The Rival also has good reviews .
  • I have a Specialized Secteur Elite and when i went in to pick the bike up, I noticed the bike coulor/decals differ slightly to the bike pictured on the Specialized website.
    Not much but the down tube (Specialized) decals and surrounding colourway look different.
    Has anyone who owns the Elite noticed a diff in the downtube decals and coulours?
    Not that bothered just interested to know if mine is an odd one!

Yeh mine was a slight diferent colour but doesn't worry me. I've had mine since last October and been on some crap c roads and no punctures at all. What did worry me though was the damned spokes, several where/came loose and put the wheel out of true
    got quite fed up of having to true my wheels after every ride, but sorted it now. oooh yes had to tighten the headset also. I didn't know ought about bikes before my secteur but I'm learning pretty fast. The good out weigh these minor irritations. Unbelievably comfortable, easy to get up hills being a triple and a nice looking bike overall. In fact going to give my butt a rest tommorow and leave my Pro carbon behind as use my secteur.
    'If you worry you die, if you don't worry you still die, so why worry?"
  • dg74
    dg74 Posts: 656
    postman wrote:
    Checked site and avater is specified .So did some reviews and it looks like a personal thing .

Some think the Avatar is crap some don't .

The Rival also has good reviews .

I've replaced the Rival with a Selle Rolls - now THAT saddle is comfort personified.

So the Rival saddle is up for sale and it's practicality brand new (no scuffs, etc).
  • potters1863
    potters1863 Posts: 111
    Had mine since last August. Really good bike, had one puncture three weeks ago.

The Rival seat is rubbish, does state that Avatar fitted on the official site.

Had problems with numb nuts on mine, changed to a Avatar Gel and now very comfortable, a very good saddle.

Had problem with the shifter but cycle shop sorted it out under warranty without a fuss, very good customer service.

Will keep this one for a while as I am very happy with it, may change up to a carbon framed bike in 12 months?
  • postman
    Update had to put my Brooks saddle on from my other bike .Me and the Rival 143 were not getting on .

What a difference so comfortable .

Been on a 71 mile ride to Grassingtopn and a 55 mile ride to York.

On up and down nothing too bad and one as flat as a pancake .

This bike is superb .Fast and comfortable .This week my mate has decided to invest in another bike ,cos he is having probs keeping up with me .

A wonderful bike .I am 60 years old and the upright riding position is perfect for me .
  • brigez
    brigez Posts: 31
    I got the basic Secteur yesterday. It's my first road bike as I've been on mountain bikes for the last ten years, 30 miles in and love it!!!!

I was thinking about the Giant Defy 3.5 before the Secteur, but I took them both out for a test ride and the Secteur just seemed so more rideable, the Giant was too much hard work.

I'm now spending too much time looking at spending money on road gear :lol:

Just as well fathers day is around the corner :wink:
    gimee time, i'll think of something.........
  • rspete
    rspete Posts: 6
    Just out of interest has anyone got the "Body Geometry Avatar Gel w/ hollow Cr-Mo rails" as specified in the Specialized spec sheet fitted as standard?
    I got my Secteur Elite recently and it's got the Rival 143 on it. Not comfortable.
    So I am looking to upgrade.
    I am looking at the seat I thought i was meant to get, the "Body Geometry Avatar Gel w/ hollow Cr-Mo rails", but was wondering whether the 155 might be a better bet than the 143? Or the Specialized 2010 Sonoma Gel Saddle maybe.
    I am open to any suggestions however would quite like to keep it reasonably priced having just spent a heap, for me, on this bike.

Its a long time since I did any real cycling so my bum just isn't used to the discomfort and I find it really is putting me off!

Thanks for any advice!
  • Recieved my Secteur Elite this week. The bike looks great and rides very smoothly, and being 6ft 5 i needed a comfortable ride and iam not dissapointed. The riding position is quite upright as a result which does not create much wind resistance but iam able to ride more on the drops on this bike compared to my previous Giant SCR2 so cancelling out any speed loss. Mine also came with the rival 143 saddle which i find reasonably comfortable so not too fussed about the change in spec. :D:D:D:D
  • bam49
    bam49 Posts: 159
    Just out of interest has anyone got the "Body Geometry Avatar Gel w/ hollow Cr-Mo rails" as specified in the Specialized spec sheet fitted as standard?

^^^ I had one of these which came as standard on my Roubaix Elite and I thought it was rubbish really , much too hard & I could not notice the gel at all.. I got a Fizik Arione and thought it was a lot better.. Stuck the Avatar on my commuter ( Trek 1000 ), and I put up with it for ages before getting a Concept EX from Wiggle , this is a Chinese Arione copy - only £9 from Wiggle but sadly discontinued...
    so in short - I do not think your missing much by not having the Avatar ( 143 )...
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    bam49 wrote:

^^^ I had one of these which came as standard on my Roubaix Elite and I thought it was rubbish really , much too hard & I could not notice the gel at all.. I got a Fizik Arione and thought it was a lot better.. Stuck the Avatar on my commuter ( Trek 1000 ), and I put up with it for ages before getting a Concept EX from Wiggle , this is a Chinese Arione copy - only £9 from Wiggle but sadly discontinued...
    so in short - I do not think your missing much by not having the Avatar ( 143 )...

Just goes to prove how fickle saddles are..
    I swapped out a Riva for my old Avatar because I get on a lot better with the Avatar.

The Rival probably is up there with worst saddle top 10.. well imo.
  • tyax
    tyax Posts: 106
    Got my Secteur Comp last month from Evans sale, for various reasons have only managed 70 miles or so. Tried it against the Allez comp, but the Secteur just felt comfier and more absorbant of bumps.

First drop bar bike, I'm loving it so far but found my shoulder blades were getting sore after 20 miles, so in absense of being able to widen the handlebars, I changed the stem angle to +8 degrees, problem solved.

No punctures so far (although sods law...)
    Frame has the block lettering (nicer than the ones on tinternet)
    Has the Avatar Gel with chromo rails (had one on my Sirrus Elite and hated it. This one's fine. Odd.)
    2010 Specialized Competition Secateurs, hell yeh ;)
  • Got my 2011 Elite last week and done 80 miles so far, first road bike after 12 years on a mtb. Love it, very comfy and a great upright position. Good on hills and very fast on the flat and downhill.

I am not a featherweight rider and the wheels are true, despite the local potholes, and I haven't had a puncture, but have pumped the tires up to 120psi, so not sure if that will help or hinder my plans to run puncture free.

Haven't riden as much as i'd have likes recently and just getting back into to to loose weight and get fit. Heart rate monitor is stressed out at the moment.
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011 - SRAM Apex
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2008 - Shimano XT
    Mtbs for 12 years - now a newbie to the road - be gentle with me
  • Just brought a Secteur (base model) 2010. It's my first road bike and can't wait to collect next week. I do have a few questions for existing Secteur owners though...wonder if you guys/gals can help ?

Does the base model have Carbon forks with the Zertz inserts or just Carbon forks ? I noticed the forks look different to the higher end Secteur's, but forgot to ask.

The Specialized sticker on the frame looks different to the bike shown on the website, the one I bought looks like this one : http://i36.tinypic.com/2vtwtc9.jpg. Is it an import model ??

Thanks all.
  • Bobbinogs
    Hi there, I don't think the base model does have the zertz inserts (you can tell by looking to see if there is a wiggle in the forks). To be honest, I don't know how much difference it makes since I haven't compared with/without.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    My elite (2010) has the inserts in the fork, but not in the seat stays, I think the top model has those only.
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    kandyman wrote:
    Does the base model have Carbon forks with the Zertz inserts or just Carbon forks ? I noticed the forks look different to the higher end Secteur's, but forgot to ask.

The Secteur Triple has carbon forks, but no Zertz inserts.
    kandyman wrote:
    The Specialized sticker on the frame looks different to the bike shown on the website, the one I bought looks like this one : http://i36.tinypic.com/2vtwtc9.jpg. Is it an import model ??

99% of the UK Secteurs have the newer style graphics as in the pic you posted.
    According to my LBS (Spesh concept store) those not to be ignored in the Spesh UK HQ didn't like the graphics when the 2010 was 1st launched and had them re-designed for the UK market.
  • Thanks for all the info. Picked up my bike today and can't wait to have my first ride on a road bike....will have to wait till the weekend :(.....lets hope it's sunny :lol:
  • I picked up my Secteur Elite 2011 yesterday, but I'll have to wait for the weekend for my first ride - looking forward to testing the SRAM Apex on the hills in the Peak District.
  • As a quick update to the above, I did a 40 mile debut ride in the peak district yesterday on the 2011 Secteur elite. I found the SRAM shifts took only about 15 minutes to get used to, and I couldn't fault their performance. The main difference I noticed to my Shimano Tiagra was the SRAM was much better at upshifting under power, which is particularly evident if you want to get out of the saddle for a stint on a climb. I can't say I noticed the gaps between gears which may be expected from the rear cassette set-up, but that will probably come as I get used to the bike. I'm very happy after my first ride, looking forward to many more.
  • I'm getting mine tomorrow from Evans via works C2W scheme. Wooo. Can't wait.

Although I have mixed emotions of excitement and outright fear as:

a) I've never ridden a road bike before and
    b) commuting to work in rush, in the dark, with no experience scares me.

And after reading some of the horror stories of drivers abusing and sometimes hitting cyclists with fists, bits of wood and their cars I'm debating whether to just wait till the spring to start doing it!!
  • Bobbinogs
    And after reading some of the horror stories of drivers abusing and sometimes hitting cyclists with fists, bits of wood and their cars I'm debating whether to just wait till the spring to start doing it!!

You don't have to wait that long to hit them back :wink: