Specialized Secteur - I've bought one, has anyone else ?

Phil CK
Phil CK Posts: 23
edited December 2014 in Road beginners
Just been to the Specialized Concept Store and purchased the new Secteur Elite that has just been launched and can't wait start riding it !
1051-3762-main-sectuerelite-1.jpg
With Shimano 105's all round and the same frame geometry as the Roubaix (but in Aluminum) it should be a great bike. I pick it up on Thursday so I'll be back to report on it soon......

Anyone else got a Secteur ?

And you can read more about the Secteur in the Bike Radar review
"If everything seems under control then you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Comments

• justresting
    justresting Posts: 292
    I haven't heard of it so I'll be no help whatsoever, but i have to say it looks a stunning bike and the spec is similar to my Giant Defy1 which I'v found to be an excellent buy.
    ' From the sharks in the penthouse,
    to the rats in the basement,
    its not that far '
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Never heard of it but it looks good!

Less advertising than normal, looks more classy like the early specialized bikes...
  • Phil CK
    interesting that indeed the spec & price is very similar to the Defy 1.

And regarding advertising, it's a fresh new model line that they've yet to really announce and push as it was only announced on July 10th at their Global launch (at the same time a the cool new Shiv).

I guess we'll hear more about it soon, so hopefully I'm in ahead of the crowd :wink:
    "If everything seems under control then you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti
  • Crezor
    Crezor Posts: 9
    I picked up a Secteur Sport here in the USA. I kind of wanted to wait for the Elite but I can't get any pricing info or release date so I went with the Sport. Love the geometry on it. Enjoy your new ride!
  • digitaldave
    digitaldave Posts: 114
    Can anyone explain the difference between the Secteur and the Allez? The prices seem to be about the same. The Secteur is listed as 'recreational endurance' and the Allez is 'competitive road'. As for equipment, it looks like the Allez is better specced. Any clues?

Thanks,

Dave.
  • Phil CK
    OK, here's how I read the differences...

The Secteur has the same frame geometry as the Roubaix, and hence it should be a little more comfortable to ride over some distance than the Allez (eg. evidenced in the wheelbase which moves from 986mm (Tarmac) to 991mm (Allez) to 1010mm (Roubaix & Secteur).

The Secter has Zertz inserts in the front fork (+seat & rear tube on the Comp) which are not on the Allez.

And the on Shimano spec it's : Secteur Elite @ £1,000 gives you 105s vs needing to goto the Comp on the Allez at £1,200 to get the same 105s

So, it's £200 cheaper to get 105's on the Secteur, the same great frame as the Roubaix (except Aluminum rather than carbon....) and whilst I'd don't know this, I sense the frame design is newer (being the Roubaix's) than the Allez ? but, can't actually find the design dates to confirm.

Anyone shout if I've got this wrong and I hope this helps ?
  • digitaldave
    digitaldave Posts: 114
    Phil,

Thanks for the info, that helps to clear things up a bit :).

Dave.
  • Phil CK
    no probs.... let me know if you need any more detail as I've done a load of comparisons across the Specialized range before buying the Secteur
  • I can only imagine that this is to the Roubaix, what the Allez is to the Tarmac - the lead-in or beginner's version.
  • Mothyman
    Mothyman Posts: 655
    keep us posted on how she rides.... i love my Roubaix...but maybe it looks a bit tacky like a chocolate box...still it rides really nicely.
    have fun
  • Phil CK
    finally.....

picked up the Secteur on Thurs, but was raining before I got home and did not want to have my first ride in the rain, and anyway needed to spend what was left of the evening sorting out pedals, computer etc....

Didn't get out on Friday & had other commitments yesterday so finally got out this morning before the rain came again !! So, did a quick 10 mile run and what a fantastic bike - very comfortable and there's still some fettling of the set-up to be done, and loads of gears (its a triple) so there's no shortage of choices.

And anyone else got a Secteur yet ? I hear from Spesh they hope to sell "several thousand" this year and with 160,000 members of this forum there should be a few of us on here ?
  • AGNI
    AGNI Posts: 140
    I notice that the top frame is arched to give some flex to the frame and therefore make the ride a bit more comfortable. My bianchi c2c has a similar geometry.

I have only seen this geometry on recent bikes. How sturdy is it over time? The flexing on the top tube would give more repeated stress on the joint at the bottom tube. With alumium frames, could this lead to stress fatigue on the joints?

Not sure how carbon reacts to this sort of stress, but I know aluminium and steel with fail after repeated cyclical stress's.
    Still suffering with wind
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Basically an alu Roubaix? And the Allez is an alu Tarmac?
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    AGNI wrote:
    Not sure how carbon reacts to this sort of stress, but I know aluminium and steel with fail after repeated cyclical stress's.

I once found an article explaining that the tolerable stress cycles for an average bicycle alu frame would be in a very high range. I need to find the article again because it was showing how regular riding can only stress a frame so much, and at that stress level, the frame can take near infinite stress cycles.

I believe that must be all down to the frame construction, tube wall thickness, etc... so basically difficult to tell if it applies to all frames, but I would imagine a minimum life of 5 to 10 years to be the minimum expected from any frame.

And reading horror stories from both sides (alu and carbon), I really would not know which one is better.

An alu frame is cheaper though, and it is not, from a weight point of view, the component that has the most impact.
    Given the design and rigidity is right, I don't see much between carbon and alu other than the vibrations in an alu frame might fatigue the rider more.
    Something that a carbon bar/seat post could sort out to some degree.

I have a part carbon part alu frame and I can't really tell at my level, the difference it makes.
  • AGNI
    AGNI Posts: 140
    fnegroni wrote:

I once found an article explaining that the tolerable stress cycles for an average bicycle alu frame would be in a very high range. I need to find the article again because it was showing how regular riding can only stress a frame so much, and at that stress level, the frame can take near infinite stress cycles.

I believe that must be all down to the frame construction, tube wall thickness, etc... so basically difficult to tell if it applies to all frames, but I would imagine a minimum life of 5 to 10 years to be the minimum expected from any frame.

With the standard geometry, the frames have undergone years of testing in the marketplace and are pretty much tried and tested. My question is about the new geometry where the top frame is arched so it is allowed to bend downwards as it absorbs some of the shocks. This flexing of the top bar, then pushes stresses onto other parts of the frame which would be mainly the joints at the bottom.

Apologies to phil for hijacking the thread.
    Still suffering with wind
  • Phil CK
    I don't believe the "arching" is to absorb shocks.... moreover it allows for a lower stand-over height which also in turn (co-incidentally :wink: ) enables a smaller number of frame sizes to fit more (different sized) people.

Therefore it doesn't really flex so I'd say its no worse (or better) than any other design.

& Surf-Matt... yes, the Secteur is an alu Roubaix but the Allez is not an alu tamac - it may be more "racing" in profile to the Roubaix but its not exactly the same frame shape as the Tarmac (as the Sectuer is to the Roubaix)

And, bagged another 15M ride tonight as its just getting better... very comfortable and quick :D:D
  • Surf-Matt
    Phil - it sounds like a nice bike. Welcome to the Specialized club. We have four in the garage... :oops: :lol::lol:
  • Crezor
    I finally have been able to get out and ride my Secteur Sport after being sick for a week and a half after getting it haha. I got it fitted yesterday and i really like it. I'm new to road biking so I'm only doing about 5 miles each ride but it's all hills so that makes me feel better :)

I'm also so glad I got the triple. With all these hills there's no way I could keep my cadence in the high 70-99 rpm with the double.

Have fun riding
  • Phil CK
    Crezor - what do you think of the Zert inserts in the front forks ? To me they are making a real positive difference, and the poor road surface is absorbed well which helps with comfort and a longer ride on real road conditions.
  • Mothyman
    Mothyman Posts: 655
    my Roubaix Comp seems to absorb the bumpy road reallly well..i dont have the experience to know if its the Insert or what...but it feels great.
    I always find it amazing how riders know which small different part adds a difference to the ride.

is the secteur much different in weight to the roubaix equivalent?
  • Crezor
    Phil CK wrote:
    Crezor - what do you think of the Zert inserts in the front forks ? To me they are making a real positive difference, and the poor road surface is absorbed well which helps with comfort and a longer ride on real road conditions.

This is my first road bike so I'm no expert but I think I notice a nice dampening with the Zerts. I wish my seatpost had Zerts too just to try it.
  • micaab
    micaab Posts: 75
    hi guys, almost ready to buy a Secteur Elite but am a bit unsure as to sizing, sat on a couple of specialized bikes today but no Secteurs in stock where i went.

got a few questions about the bike and it's gemoetry but can you let me know the stem size on these please. i'm currently riding a 22in Cannondale with flat bars and a move to drops will have to be carefully planned!

help appreciated,

Andy.
  • Surf-Matt
    You need a HUGE frame!
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    micaab wrote:
    hi guys, almost ready to buy a Secteur Elite but am a bit unsure as to sizing, sat on a couple of specialized bikes today but no Secteurs in stock where i went.

got a few questions about the bike and it's gemoetry but can you let me know the stem size on these please. i'm currently riding a 22in Cannondale with flat bars and a move to drops will have to be carefully planned!

help appreciated,

Andy.

find a roubaix to try - the geometry is the same

actually - from a "fit" point of view - the allez (and langster) aren't that different either!
  • micaab
    thanks for the help

i've found a couple of specialized dealers close to me in SE London so i'll see if i can find a roubaix (or even a secteur if they have one in stock) to "try on".

i'm quite keen to get the thing bought now so i'll post my thoughts when i get it.

cheers guys

AB.
  • Phil CK
    its perhaps a little bit more of a trip from SE London but don't forget there is a concept store in Ruislip ( http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.u ... page_id=34 ) and they'll have the lot to try !
  • micaab
    seen it
    rode it
    liked it
    ordered it

All the guys in the shops have said that's it's quite a good package...

Secteur Elite on the way. Can't wait.

AB.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    good! - get some pictures up when it arrives and let us know what it is like!
  • micaab
    guys, got my secteur elite last friday and have been out a couple of times.

i'm no expert in bikes - i've only ridden a handful of road bikes in the last 3 years but a few things that stand out for me when comparing to my prvious ride. feels very controllable and sure footed when turning at speed even when it's bumpy.

it's certainly more forgiving than my stiff cannondale which will make it a bit more bearable on the longer rides. it weighs in at 10 kg (same as my cannondale).

i got this through my cycle to work scheme so i think it's good value for money when you calc how much it will cost me over the next 18 months.

not sure what else to say about it right now except that i love it so far.

a couple of pics for you in case you haven't seen them yet. BUT please do not laugh at my pedals :lol: , these are the ones out of the box and i've still not got new ones or taken the DMRs off the cannondale.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41185168@N04/3792906128

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41185168@N04/3792097993

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41185168@N04/3792909858

here's what it's replacing...... but this will be kept as a hack from now on....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41185168@N04/3792913116
  • Phil CK
    Enjoy !!!! I know I have mine.........