Specialized Secteur - I've bought one, has anyone else ?

Comments

• micaab
    micaab Posts: 75
    taken it out for a couple of test runs so only done 20m so far but if the weather is good i want to do a 30-40 mile run on it this weekend. so fingers crossed.
  • Phil CK
    Phil CK Posts: 23
    yeah, I've got my fingers crossed for some good weather as well !!!

Crezor - if you want to join the "Secteur team" then you could update your avatar and use my image as well ?

19123312404a5a4b90b710f.jpg

You'll find it here :

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/images/ ... 0b710f.jpg
    "If everything seems under control then you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    About the icon - the Secteurs are probably going to be common as muck in the next couple of years due to being a Specialized bike - you might want to change the icon to something more suitable :)

The geometry and idea behind it sounds OK - although I think they are incredibly overpriced as for £1k you van get a Planet-X full carbon bike with SRAM Rival.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • micaab
    nah i'm happy with the icon for the moment, being a relative noob to the cycling scene i don't mind having a bike which isn't "exclusive".

as for value for money, yeah maybe 1k would have been alot but i'm getting it through a cycle to work scheme which will work out costing me something in the region of £650 so i'm happy with that. :D
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    i'd still take the sectaur over the planetX to be honest - carbon isn't "all that" - at least, not at the £1000 bike mark!
  • Phil CK
    Accept that the Planet X appears to be good value for £1K and is a nice looking bike, so congrats on a great bike..... I also read you could buy a nice looking Ribble or Boardman for similar money so there is plenty of choice at this price bracket.

Ultimately you pay your money and make your choice...... I believe the benefits of a Specialized bike and their brand values + quality + experience + innovation = the best way I could spend the money.

To me, there is a reason why you can't get a Carbon Specialized for the same money and quality of Carbon must surely be in there somewhere ?

And common all depends on your definition.... with about 46Million adults here in GB and Specialized expecting to sell a few thousand Secteurs this year (total, not just the Elite model) I make that about 1 in every 23,000 adults which doesn't seem too bad to me :?
    "If everything seems under control then you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Phil CK wrote:
    Accept that the Planet X appears to be good value for £1K and is a nice looking bike, so congrats on a great bike..... I also read you could buy a nice looking Ribble or Boardman for similar money so there is plenty of choice at this price bracket.

Ultimately you pay your money and make your choice...... I believe the benefits of a Specialized bike and their brand values + quality + experience + innovation = the best way I could spend the money.

To me, there is a reason why you can't get a Carbon Specialized for the same money and quality of Carbon must surely be in there somewhere ?

And common all depends on your definition.... with about 46Million adults here in GB and Specialized expecting to sell a few thousand Secteurs this year (total, not just the Elite model) I make that about 1 in every 23,000 adults which doesn't seem too bad to me :?

Haven't bought the Planet-X. To be honest it doesn't appeal to me either - I don't really like the frame geometry even with the excellent write-ups it gets. The wheels aren't that hot either but hey these days you get next to nothing for a £1000 from the main global brands (Trek, Giant, Spesh).

There are still though some brands that offer good value for money in the entry level for carbon such as Scott and Orbea.

Nothing wrong with Spesh bikes although they don't appeal to me, I can empathise with your comments about their brand and quality.

The commonness value comes from seeing more than a handful of specialized bikes during my training runs - but hey I own a Giant so what can I say! :D

At the end of the day if it makes you happy go for it.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Takis61
    Takis61 Posts: 239
    Had a 2003 Allez for many years (upgraded to carbon fork) and just bought a Ribble Sportive, so in a position to judge a little I guess.
    The Secteur looks more like a Sportive geometry & the sloping tube is going to cause zero stress on the frame, it's just a different compact bike.
    Main difference between Alu & Carbon is my Ribble feels like silk on the shitty concrete (not tarmac) roads locally. I also went for a compact groupset, my Allez was 2003 Sora 53/39, so really hard work on the Downs.
    The Secteur is a step up from the Allez due to the zertz technology & various dampening, hence the Sportive reference.
    The Allez range still seen as the entry to a more race oriented bike.
    I think they are going to sell like hot cakes, looked at one in the LBS today.
    Planet X, Ribble, Boardman et al appeal to some, nice to have a different option.
    Enjoy it, it looks awesome !
    My knees hurt !
  • micaab
    did my 30 miler on the new bike yesterday, i must say it's much more comfy than the filling-loosening Cannondale it's replaced.

weather was great (no wind) - a little too hot but loved every minute of the ride. and it was nice to have the granny cog as well for a couple of steep(ish) climbs.

it''s making wanna look further and further for my rides now. cna;t wait to go out again but got a holiday booked for next week which is getting in the way of the biking :(
  • Do you think that Speicalized are using some awful names of late? Allez and Roubaix are great, but Tarmac, Secteur and Shiv are terrible. I can understand how they have come up with them, although not sure where "Shiv" comes from? Spesh do make good bikes, I have a Tarmac SL, but I'm glad the Tarmac decals are only on the "reverse" side of the chainstay.
  • Aspman77
    Aspman77 Posts: 92
    I've got a Secteur Sport or ordered through my work's Cycle to work scheme. Got some spd pedals and shoes too.

Still waiting on my voucher so nothing to play with yet.
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    Do you think that Speicalized are using some awful names of late? Allez and Roubaix are great, but Tarmac, Secteur and Shiv are terrible. I can understand how they have come up with them, although not sure where "Shiv" comes from? Spesh do make good bikes, I have a Tarmac SL, but I'm glad the Tarmac decals are only on the "reverse" side of the chainstay.

yes secteur sounds like a gardening implement for pruning roses....perhaps Vitesse would have been better, sits well with Allez and Roubaix
  • Torrrr
    Torrrr Posts: 2
    Went to buy bike on Cyclescheme yesterday but, for some reason, the Scott I'd wanted had a 12% add on taking it above the £1k mark. Was talked into trying the Secteur Elite instead and did put down a small deposit but came away feeling completely underwhelmed. Am waiting for store to build up the 61cm model next week so will have to see...
    It seems the main selling point is its comfort on longer rides but does this compromise its speed? The guy in the shop suggested 2mins lost every 10miles compared to a more 'race' geometry. Is this fair comment?
    Most people here seem very positive about it tho so it's prob just me.
  • Phil, I'm in the market for a road bike - my first - I sort of jumped in at the deep end and signed up to do the Deloitte Ride Across Britain next year. At the moment, I'm looking at the Secteur Elite or the Cube Peleton. Do you know how much the Secteur weighs?
  • gkerr4
    studay28 wrote:
    Phil, I'm in the market for a road bike - my first - I sort of jumped in at the deep end and signed up to do the Deloitte Ride Across Britain next year. At the moment, I'm looking at the Secteur Elite or the Cube peloton. Do you know how much the Secteur weighs?

be aware that the secteur and the peloton are VERY different bikes - the secteur is focussed on long day rides while the peloton is very much a 'race' focussed bike.

even the bike radar review descibed it as a bike for riders "who favour excitement and a sharp ride over day-long comfort" (or something like that)
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... oton-32244
  • kozzo
    kozzo Posts: 182
    gkerr4 wrote:
    studay28 wrote:
    Phil, I'm in the market for a road bike - my first - I sort of jumped in at the deep end and signed up to do the Deloitte Ride Across Britain next year. At the moment, I'm looking at the Secteur Elite or the Cube peloton. Do you know how much the Secteur weighs?

be aware that the secteur and the peloton are VERY different bikes - the secteur is focussed on long day rides while the peloton is very much a 'race' focussed bike.

even the bike radar review descibed it as a bike for riders "who favour excitement and a sharp ride over day-long comfort" (or something like that)

Comfort and excitement are so personal and individual terms that I would keep certian distance to descriptions like this.
  • Yeah, I read that review. I thought it was for an 07 or 08 Peloton. The price quoted in the review was a lot less than this years price, and although I try not believe all the spiel that the manufacturers give, Cube claim that the Peloton "is a real touring bike".

Any suggestions for a closer comparison to the Secteur?
  • gkerr4
    kozzo wrote:
    gkerr4 wrote:
    studay28 wrote:

Comfort and excitement are so personal and individual terms that I would keep certian distance to descriptions like this.

i'm not suggesting that the secteur won't be 'exciting' - but the two bikes have very different design briefs and i was afraid that the poster was trying to make a decision between the two based on weight - you either want a bike like the secteur or you want a bike like the peloton.
  • micaab
    studay28 wrote:

my secteur elite comes in at 10Kg

Torrrr wrote:
    Went to buy bike on Cyclescheme yesterday but, for some reason, the Scott I'd wanted had a 12% add on taking it above the £1k mark. Was talked into trying the Secteur Elite instead and did put down a small deposit but came away feeling completely underwhelmed. Am waiting for store to build up the 61cm model next week so will have to see...
    It seems the main selling point is its comfort on longer rides but does this compromise its speed? The guy in the shop suggested 2mins lost every 10miles compared to a more 'race' geometry. Is this fair comment?
    Most people here seem very positive about it tho so it's prob just me.

was abit the same myself after the Secteur arrived but now i've done 100 miles on it i'm really pleased with my choice. it is more forgiving than my previous bikes which for me makes it easier to ride for longer.

as to the speed difference, i haven't beat my standard TT time for a lap round my surrounding area. My older Cannondale is slightly lighter and alot stiffer and "racey" but they are different in setup so you'd expect some speed diff. Overall, expect what the bike was designed for and this one seems to be for longer rides.

AB.
  • Torrrr
    Torrrr Posts: 2
    Cheers micaab

Think I was a bit too hasty in opting for the Secteur without too much thought but will only make a final decision once I've tried the 61cm model and taken a proper test.
  • Phil CK
    Studay28, if you are signed up for the Ride Across Britain then with 874 miles to cover you need something comfortable to ride as certainly for me it'd be about finishing rather than racing for the daily finish line !! Hence, the slightly more comfortable Secteur is the right (type) of bike to go for IMO

Micaab is correct with an overall weight of 10Kg (including pedals, small saddle bag + water bottle cage)

And for reference, a Roubaix Comp is 8.8Kgs vs 8.2Kgs for a Tarmac Comp so the weight overall shouldn't be the ultimate decision maker.... esp as a full water bottle is 0.7Kgs so you can quickly make up the difference !!

Good luck & let us know what you buy....
  • Hi,

Awesome bike.

I bought this bike at the end of October last year, on the back of a bike-fit at a Specialized Concept Store (definitely recommend that service). I really fancied the Roubaix (it's carbon brother) but wanted to make sure I got on with the shape before spending the extra cash.

Anyhow, a few months and a couple of hundred miles later and I have made that jump.

So I have for sale a nearly new White/Charcoal Secteur Sport 58cm (I am 5ft 11).

Full spec can be found here:
    http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.u ... UR%20SPORT

I have upgraded the wheels to Mavic Aksyium Race, Brakes to Ultegra and Rear mech to Ultegra (the upgrades are off one of my other bikes and have done slightly more miles (at about 900) - all great condition and really make the bike.

I will take £495 (buyer collects). I am in High Wycombe, viewings welcome.

Any questions email me: info[at]markwarfield[dot]co[dot]uk
  • hilza
    hilza Posts: 43
    I got the A1 Secteur at the beginning of 2010, would loved to have gotten a higher spec model but just couldn't afford it But it's my baby, she's beautiful to ride and looks great. Spent most of today trying to get the original pedals off to replace with new Kéo pedals, but I swear they must have been screwed on by superman in the first place...
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    HI Hilza, I had the same problem with my original machine (a Dawes hybrid) after I put some M520s on and then clocked up a lot of miles. When it came to swapping the pedals on to my Secteur Elite, the pedals felt like they were welded on to the hybrid.

My father in law said "you should have put some anti seize/grease on the pedal threads before you used them", err, thanks! Took two burly chaps with a spanner the size of Peter Crouch to get the pedals off my hybrid. I now always use anti seize and find that I can swap pedals on the hybrid easily depending on the need (obviously, for my Secteur I don't do flats!).

Anyway, sunny calm day and my wife is due back from her early spin shortly so it's time for me to get going... :)
  • Hi all. I am new to road biking and having been to my local bike store I have plumped for a 2010 Specialized Secteur Elite. I didn't go in there to spend quite as much as this for my first road bike but the salesman was very helpful and after some lengthy deliberations and discussions I went for this one. I'm waiting for it to come in later this week. Will post my impressions of it once I pick it up. (They won't be clever technical impressions, just what I think and how it measures up to the sales pitch!)
  • dg74
    dg74 Posts: 656
    The Secteur is a great bike. Even the entry level bike is a great bike (if a little flexy when putting the hammer down).

I'd recommend the bike to anyone who is starting or looking for their next bike after just starting out.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I am happy with my elite, I just need a slightly shorter stem but apart from that very happy and my bike fitness is improving on every ride which I can't say happened on my mtb
  • hilza
    hilza Posts: 43
    dg74 wrote:
    The Secteur is a great bike. Even the entry level bike is a great bike (if a little flexy when putting the hammer down).

I'd recommend the bike to anyone who is starting or looking for their next bike after just starting out.

It's been my starter bike and hasn't faltered once.
  • dg74
    dg74 Posts: 656
    hilza wrote:
    dg74 wrote:

It's been my starter bike and hasn't faltered once.

My second bike and it's great. Especially with a free upgrade to 105 brakes and a Selle Rolls saddle (far more comfy).
  • postman
    postman Posts: 120
    Got mine home today from Harrogate .

Beautiful bike ,not yet ridden it .

Anyone had any trouble with the tyres .I have read a lot of people having trouble with multipule punctures .

Or just down to bad luck .

And if so what tyres have you put on ?