Lanterne Rouge

1235»

Comments

• teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Kenny hurt himself on the same corner Menchov managed to crash into that Euskatel rider.

He said when he got up he saw naked bone on his knee, which wasn't too good...
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    afx237vi wrote:
    Realistically, I don't think any riders actually aim for the lanterne rouge, but once they get it, there is definitely a certain prestige in holding it all the way to Paris.

Vansevenant was definitely aiming for it last year. He was consistently sneaking out of the back at the end of flat stages and losing five minutes.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Hardly a spoiler needed for this I suppose, as I don't think any evening highlights show will show this: Hutarovich manages to 'gain' 2 minutes and 13 seconds on De Jongh just in the TT.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Yep, he's got 15 minutes in hand now. Shouldnt be too much danger of elimination on either of the next two stages unless he loses the end of the peloton on a climb early on and has to do it all himself.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Hutarovich has a bigger advantage after his closest challenger finished in a group at 6:40. Hutarovich finished down around 17 minutes along with his new rival, Klier. Gap of 22 minutes, i think he has it in the bag
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Reckon you're right- can't see him loosing it now.

Sigh. Kenny was such a character though- such a hero. Hope Prudhomme invites Skil-Shimano back next year.
  • teagar
    The real problem is that Kenny's knee injury means he won't be able to participate in any of the post Tour criteriums.

What a kick in the balls.
  • Tusher
    That IS sad, Teagar.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    teagar wrote:
    The real problem is that Kenny's knee injury means he won't be able to participate in any of the post Tour criteriums.

I read he's going to fire the starting pistol at the Boxmeer crit. I imagine he could still make a hefty sum for appearances even if he doesn't do any riding.
  • teagar
    afx237vi wrote:
    teagar wrote:

I read he's going to fire the starting pistol at the Boxmeer crit. I imagine he could still make a hefty sum for appearances even if he doesn't do any riding.

S'what Mart Smeets said..

Not sure the cash will be quite as big as if he was on the bike!
  • Tusher
    Well, Skil-Shimano took today's honours on the prestigious Ventoux with Jonathon Hivert crossing the line last, only 26'1" behind Rabobank's whatshisname. David Millar, Andreas Klier,Stuart O'Grady, and Gerald Ciolek all came in at the same time. Alas, it's all too late for Skil, they now have no hope of grabbing the valued Lanterne Rouge on the Champs.

Odd, I thought that that they would be at least an hour behind. Kenny would have made it so, I have no doubt. Since his crash, the Lanterne has lost a certain edge- not certain that Hutarovich is up to the fame and honour- today he came in 122nd (out of 156) 25'39" down, when he could so easily have made up even more time. He came in with a group of around 40 riders. The nobility of the long, lonely road is not for him.

Overall, Yauheni Hutarovich remains last- a clear 22 mins over Klier. At least he rides for a French team, M. Prudhomme should be pleased at that.

I do wish that TV (Eurosport or ITV4) would show the tail end of the race. I've heard that the sprinters are superb descenders.
  • Tusher
    And the Lanterne Rouge for 2009 is...............................

YAUHENI HUTAROVICH of Franciase des Jeux.

After 3,459 kms riding around France, on a bicycle, Mr Hutarovich arrived in Paris 4 horus, 16 minutes and 27 seconds behind one Alberto Contador of Spain.

I suspect that Yauheni was given a warmer welcome by his team-mates than AC was- did you see that look on Armstrong's face?

Oh, and he came fifth on the Champs-Elysees, which was about half a mile behind Cav and Renshaw.