Lanterne Rouge

Tusher
Tusher Posts: 2,762
edited July 2009 in Pro race
Now that the wonderfully talented Wim Vansevenant has retired to his farm in Flanders, who will take the honours this year? Will we ever see a rider of Wim's calibre again?

My money's on Bernhard Eisel, although I'd like to see Cav give it a good go. If he really buckles down and puts his mind to it, I'm certain the cherished little red lamp would be within his grasp.

Comments

• calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Tusher wrote:
    Now that the wonderfully talented Wim Vansevenant has retired to his farm in Flanders, who will take the honours this year? Will we ever see a rider of Wim's calibre again?

My money's on Bernhard Eisel, although I'd like to see Cav give it a good go. If he really buckles down and puts his mind to it, I'm certain the cherished little red lamp would be within his grasp.

Now that there are no bonus seconds for sprints, maybe. But he can't come in 15mins down on a flat stage so I guess not. Same for Eisel.

I bet it will be somebody French this year.

Strava is not Zen.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    Sebastian Rosseler's in this year isn't he? And Ignatiev will always be around there..
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    calvjones wrote:

Now that there are no bonus seconds for sprints, maybe. But he can't come in 15mins down on a flat stage so I guess not. Same for Eisel.

Exactly. Vansevenant used to attack off the back of the bunch in the last 10km and 'gain' five minutes on some of the flat stages.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    I really can't understand why, year, after year, the French can't find a serious challenger at this level.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Tusher
    STAGE ONE

Yauheni Hutarovich, the Belarussian riding for FdJ takes the honours in Monaco
  • Tusher
    Hutarovich has crashed!
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Tusher wrote:
    Hutarovich has crashed!

Lost 7'14" along with Andreas Klier. Brave guy to make a bid for the lanterne rouge so early in the race! He's gonna have to defend that for 3 whole weeks... gonna be tough.
  • Tusher
    Yup, even although a certain M. Cavendish from the Isle of Man (fourth position after Stage 1) has spectacularly blown his chances in Stage 2.

Eisel as well- I seem to remember that Eisel was second last year. In fact, in a show of gentlemanly behaviour, he actually informed Wim before the last stage that he would not be contending the coveted prize on the Champs. Wonder if any of the GC riders will be doing that before the Ventoux this year.

Still waiting to hear the final results from today.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Tusher wrote:
    Yup, even although a certain M. Cavendish from the Isle of Man (fourth position after Stage 1) has spectacularly blown his chances in Stage 2.

Eisel as well- I seem to remember that Eisel was second last year. In fact, in a show of gentlemanly behaviour, he actually informed Wim before the last stage that he would not be contending the coveted prize on the Champs. Wonder if any of the GC riders will be doing that before the Ventoux this year.

Still waiting to hear the final results from today.

http://www.letour.fr/2009/TDF/LIVE/us/2 ... index.html

Looks like Klier was back there putting his marker down early too
  • Tusher
    Hutarovich still holding on though. A sprinter, apparently, which must have made today's stage especially difficult.

(rubs hands in glee) I foresee a classic Lanterne Rouge tour ahead. Wonder if the Lanterne has ever been won by a national champion before. A lot of Japanese interest this year, but Arashiro came in fifth today, just behind Cav.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    And I had Hutarovich for the win today! Perhaps I should have picked for the Lanterne Rough instead. Any chance of any points, pleeeeeeeease AFX?
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Alan Perez finished way behind with Murazyev (Astana) and takes the 'lead' in this competition
  • Alan Perez finished way behind with Murazyev (Astana) and takes the 'lead' in this competition

And to think he kept Chris Horner out of the Tour. Surely there was a better Kazakh to put in the squad?
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Alan Perez finished way behind with Murazyev (Astana) and takes the 'lead' in this competition

And to think he kept Chris Horner out of the Tour. Surely there was a better Kazakh to put in the squad?
    Its possible Murazyev got caught up in a crash or had mechanical issues with the support car unable to quickly assist in the last few km. Even if those scenarios didn't occur and he had a stinker of a day, can you think of any reason why the team management should get him to use more energy than necessary on the eve of the TTT?
  • afx237vi
    Muravyev: "Boss, I've crashed, I need a bike!"

Bruyneel: "Hang on, do I know you?"

Muravyey: "WTF? I'm the Kazakh guy... my mate the President pays your wages!"

Bruyneel: "Wages, right. About that..."

Muravyev: "The bike, boss, the bike!"

Bruyneel: "Eh, kinda busy now, can't you walk? It's only 10 k to the finish."

Muravyev: "GRR, wait til Vino hears about this!"

Etc, etc.
  • Tusher
    afx,your post is the perfect tonic after a long day- thanks
  • afx237vi
    <- Just filling a gap until Iain pulls his finger out with Cycling Report :lol:
  • Perez extends his lead over the Kazakh to 2 minutes 39 seconds.

Does anyone know whether or not Perez can climb? Most of the Euskis can.
  • Top_Bhoy wrote:

Its possible Murazyev got caught up in a crash or had mechanical issues with the support car unable to quickly assist in the last few km. Even if those scenarios didn't occur and he had a stinker of a day, can you think of any reason why the team management should get him to use more energy than necessary on the eve of the TTT?

Nah he's just crap. Came last in the 2008 Vuelta, so he has the right credentials for this award.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    afx237vi wrote:
    <- Just filling a gap until Iain pulls his finger out with Cycling Report :lol:

Steady. I'm working on it.

Anyone seen the recent Cycle Sport? I'm sure Toto nicked a CR joke...
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    The competition for the Lanterne Rouge isn’t just interesting because an outsider stands a very good chance of winning and LA isn’t involved (though who knows what’ll he’ll be aiming for in 20 years time), but also because this year the Lanterne Rouge has a new jersey, far more exciting than that boring old Maillot Jaune.

3700367103_baee43f497.jpg
  • Tusher
    cool jersey.

Eurosport have just commented that Baden Cooke almost won the lanterne rouge in ?2003, coming in second. Presumably he was distracted by taking the green jersey. So near and yet so far.
  • Tusher
    Stage 5-
    Robert Gesink and Grischa Niermann came in 9' 35" down today, and Niermann takes today's honours. Shame if Gesink has to retire.

Husarovitch in the break today- blew his chances completely.
  • procarbon
    procarbon Posts: 62
    afx237vi wrote:
    Muravyev: "Boss, I've crashed, I need a bike!"

Bruyneel: "Hang on, do I know you?"

Muravyey: "WTF? I'm the Kazakh guy... my mate the President pays your wages!"

Bruyneel: "Wages, right. About that..."

Muravyev: "The bike, boss, the bike!"

Bruyneel: "Eh, kinda busy now, can't you walk? It's only 10 k to the finish."

Muravyev: "GRR, wait til Vino hears about this!"

Etc, etc.

lmao
  • Tusher
    Kenny Van Hummel came in at 25'' and 6" after Stage 6.

Not sure if this will knock the overall contender, the Euski Alan Perez Lezaun off the top spot, Although coming in only third last today, his time was 24' 05", so he's clearly trying very hard.

Hutarovi ch fourth today, clearly trying to make amends for yesterday's slip up.
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    The competition for the Lanterne Rouge isn't really on til someone hides in the bushes.
  • Tusher
    Lampre took today's honour with Angelo Furlan. Eduardo Gonzalez Ramirez almost two minutes behind him and Japan's Yukiya Arashiro putting in a fine performance in third place.

Overall lanterne rouge is Kenny Van Hummel, with his Skil team mate Jonathan Hivert only 24 seconds behind. My favourite, Hutarovich, is safely lurking in third, less than two minutes behind.

All to play for then, these guys should easily be able to make up these sorts of times.
  • afx237vi
    Outstanding performance from Kenny Van Hummel today. Over 38 minutes down on the stage winner (aka the first loser) and 14 minutes slower than the next guy, Danny Pate. Really honouring the classification with a showing like that.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    afx237vi wrote:
    Outstanding performance from Kenny Van Hummel today. Over 38 minutes down on the stage winner (aka the first loser) and 14 minutes slower than the next guy, Danny Pate. Really honouring the classification with a showing like that.

The Dutch coverage is following him quite closely.

He's used to domestic flat racing, and he's really really suffering everyday.

I can't see him finishing, the way he sounds in the interviews.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • afx237vi
    It sounds perverse, and I know it's easy to joke about, but I bet being the lanterne rouge really does provide you with just a little bit more motivation to get through the hard bits - more than being, like, 125th or something.