Lanterne Rouge

Comments

• Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    Kenny made the New York Times! http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/17/sport ... ur.html?em

Here he is being interviewed by them http://tour2009.nos.nl/nieuws/artikel/i ... n-ny-times

I might have to buy a Skil-Shimano shirt in his honour! What a fighter. [/list]
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    I find it highly amusing that the team of (what was) one of the pre-race GC favourites has a rider of Kenny's ilk in his team.

I mean no disrespect to Kenny here; I couldn't imagine the amount of suffering he is going through to get to the stage finish each day.

But can you imagine the likes of Saxo Bank or Astana having a rider on their roster like this?

It might be a bit of a novelty for Silence; how many consecutive Laterne Rouge does this make for Silence-Lotto? Three or Four?? I know Wim's got three.

Seriously, Silence-Lotto are a joke.

Charly Wegelius, a proven domestique, only got a Tour start after Dekker got busted. Kenny even got a start before him.

Redant has been blowing his horn saying the main objective is Yellow. How has Kenny helped Cadel's chances?
  • Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    Are you drunk? This thread is about Kenny Van Hummel of Skil-Shimano.
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • SpaceJunk wrote:
    I find it highly amusing that the team of (what was) one of the pre-race GC favourites has a rider of Kenny's ilk in his team.

I mean no disrespect to Kenny here; I couldn't imagine the amount of suffering he is going through to get to the stage finish each day.

But can you imagine the likes of Saxo Bank or Astana having a rider on their roster like this?

It might be a bit of a novelty for Silence; how many consecutive Laterne Rouge does this make for Silence-Lotto? Three or Four?? I know Wim's got three.

Seriously, Silence-Lotto are a joke.

Charly Wegelius, a proven domestique, only got a Tour start after Dekker got busted. Kenny even got a start before him.

Redant has been blowing his horn saying the main objective is Yellow. How has Kenny helped Cadel's chances?

wut da hell are you talking about?!
  • SpaceJunk
    Eurostar wrote:
    Are you drunk? This thread is about Kenny Van Hummel of Skil-Shimano.

Umm no.

But please excuse all my posts from about 11 am this morning. My work colleague decided to have a bit of fun at my expense.

That will teach me for choosing Bike Radar to keep my logged in.
    :oops: :oops: :oops:
  • SpaceJunk
    GeeTeewmb wrote:
    You guys seen this vid of KVH?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTPKaeFbcA8

Brilliant video.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    afx237vi wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Stuey01 wrote:
    This Van Hummel guy is a ******* hero. That is two mountain stages on the trot where he has dragged his carcus around all on his own.

He's a sprinter right? has he actually got near any of the sprints? I don't remember seeing him on the flat stages.

He came 7th on Stage 10 - the only time he's got close.

He's having a good season, though. 5 wins..
    Yes, and he's currently nr.1 in the European Continental races ranking. Petacchi is 2nd.
    The lanterne Rouge makes a rider a bit of a semi-comical figure, but he's not a bad pro really.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    GeeTeewmb wrote:
    You guys seen this vid of KVH?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTPKaeFbcA8

Brilliant video.

Blimey!!! Where do I send my donation?!

Does he have a fan club? Shall we start one?

Chapaeu, Kenny
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    Nice to see something from the back of the pack
  • pjlawrie
    pjlawrie Posts: 34
    Big day for Kenny today, sod the GC contenders (except Wiggo!). Go Kenny! You can do it!!
  • pottssteve
    If you're interested, Kenny has a website (www.kennyvanhummel.com), but it's in Dutch. He's also on twitter, so why not send him your support.

Forza, Kenny!!!
  • FJS
    Eurostar wrote:

New York Times:
    "In the 1980s, Tour organizers ended the folly of riders deliberately finishing last. They began eliminating the last rider in the standings after every stage, until the final few stages of the race."

Never heard about that; that's rubbish surely. Or is it? Did they misunderstood the time limit rules?
    All that's fit to print? :roll:
    Nice feature article though
  • pjlawrie
    Cheers Potssteve. Consider my words of support now added to Kenny's guestbook.
  • pottssteve
    pjlawrie wrote:
    Cheers Potssteve. Consider my words of support now added to Kenny's guestbook.

Mine too!
    He'll wonder what's going on!

Steve
  • pjlawrie
    Any news on Kenny today? Looking at the Eurosport website it looks like no riders have gone out the back of the pack yet...... fingers crossed he's still in there spinning away!
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Harmon just reporting he's crashed and abandoned.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • jp1985
    jp1985 Posts: 434
    Kennys Gone

Crashed and Abandoned
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    pjlawrie wrote:
    Any news on Kenny today? Looking at the Eurosport website it looks like no riders have gone out the back of the pack yet...... fingers crossed he's still in there spinning away!

Sadly he's just abandoned after a crash
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • pjlawrie
    What????? I have just seen his name come up on the Eurosport page saying he is still in the peleton...... :shock:
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    "I'll quit when I fall off my bike."

http://www.telegraaf.nl/telesport/tourd ... er___.html

Damn. Still a legend.
  • pottssteve
    pjlawrie wrote:
    What????? I have just seen his name come up on the Eurosport page saying he is still in the peloton...... :shock:

Yep, 'tis true. :lol: GO ON MY SON!
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Nah he's out. Menchov's legendary bike handling also on display...
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Nooooooooooooooo. Say it ain't so, Kenny.

PS Yes, the organisers did once disqualify the last rider at the end of each stage. All it did was lead to a particularly talented Lanterne who simply made sure he finished SECOND last every day.
  • pottssteve
    It is my sad duty to inform you, according to Eurospoilsport:

Lantern Rouge News! Kenny van Hummel has abandoned. The Skil Shimano sprinter was over three and a half hours behind Contador. Yauheni Hutarovich is now last on GC.

:cry:
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    ITV4 just said that not only has he crashed, but he's been taken to hospital.
  • StefanP
    StefanP Posts: 429
    Just 2 minutes after I followed him on twitter ;(
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    I know winning the Lanterne Rouge is (jokingly??) talked about as something some riders almost deliberately aim for, is this true?

If we assume that Kenny was quite proud of having such a splendid grip on the position, I can understand that maybe he didn't really do anything to try and not get it.

But does his team also enjoy holding the Lanterne Rouge? If not, given how appalling Kenny is over a bump, why on earth was he picked for the Tour? It means he can't serve his team for about half the days of the race, doesn't it?
  • FJS
    Coriander wrote:
    I know winning the Lanterne Rouge is (jokingly??) talked about as something some riders almost deliberately aim for, is this true?

If we assume that Kenny was quite proud of having such a splendid grip on the position, I can understand that maybe he didn't really do anything to try and not get it.

But does his team also enjoy holding the Lanterne Rouge? If not, given how appalling Kenny is over a bump, why on earth was he picked for the Tour? It means he can't serve his team for about half the days of the race, doesn't it?
    Because he is one of their best riders. They must have hoped he could do something in the first weeks
  • afx237vi
    Coriander wrote:

Realistically, I don't think any riders actually aim for the lanterne rouge, but once they get it, there is definitely a certain prestige in holding it all the way to Paris.

With regards to his team, they're a very small outfit compared to Astana or Columbia. Their budget is tiny in comparison, but just think of the publicity that Kenny is bringing for their sponsor. How many articles have been written about him? He's a good rider for the flat stages, but not many people would have noticed him if he hadn't been last.

It's a shame he's out though.
  • afx237vi
    Twitter from Fumiyuki Beppu: "Kenny van Hummel He is still super man He eatting chicken now Looks really powerfull!! But, I'm sorry to him We miss Kenny.."

I'm wondering if "he eating chicken now" is a euphemism for something else.

Here's our new man:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yauheni_Hutarovich