Lanterne Rouge

Comments

• Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    So, two French riders (FdJ's Benoit Vaugrenard and Samuel Dumoulin of Cofidis) celebrated Bastille Day by jointly sharing today's red jersey. I'm sure the French will be delighted. These two boys came in a good 2'25" down (or up) on the Manxster.

Overall, Kenny Van Hummel is clear by just under 16 minutes. Still have my money on the third placed Hutarovich though.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Tusher wrote:
    So, two French riders (FdJ's Benoit Vaugrenard and Samuel Dumoulin of Cofidis) celebrated Bastille Day by jointly sharing today's red jersey. I'm sure the French will be delighted. These two boys came in a good 2'25" down (or up) on the Manxster.

Overall, Kenny Van Hummel is clear by just under 16 minutes. Still have my money on the third placed Hutarovich though.

Yes, Kenny has a lead but he will have to watch what he does. He gained 15 seconds today by finishing 7th and being on the wrong side of a split in the peloton. Good job he's got quite a big buffer.

Good luck to the fella though - nice to see him at the right end of things today :D
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Tusher wrote:

Yes, Kenny has a lead but he will have to watch what he does. He gained 15 seconds today by finishing 7th and being on the wrong side of a split in the peloton. Good job he's got quite a big buffer.

Good luck to the fella though - nice to see him at the right end of things today :D

Well, he is a sprinter first and foremost!

He's really doing well if you consider his previous palmares!

I do hope he gets to Paris. It seems that everyone he rode with in the Pyranees in order to beat the time limit is retiring, one by one. It doesn't hold out well for the Alps!
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • Tusher
    Honestly Yauheni, what WERE you thinking of today? THIRD? THIRD??? Coming in at the same time as Cav and Tyler- that's no way to win the Lanterne Rouge, Mr Hutarovich. You're just making things difficult for yourself. Still, despite coming in third today, you remain third in the Lanterne Competition.
    Bizarre computation.

And as for you, Mr Van Hummel, you were no better. Hang your head in shame- arriving in the same time as the usual suspects, you were FIFTEENTH! Out of 130. Although you're still hanging on to the overall lead.

Harrumph. Not easy supporting these guys.

Today's honours go to the longest name in the peloton, Rui Alberto Faria da Costa, of Caisse d'Epargne 4'11" down- not even near the time limit.

A perfect opportunity today casually tossed away by the main contenders.
  • Tusher
    Van Hummel now has a lead of 26'22" over Hutarovich in the overall- but we still have the mountains to come. Christophe Riblon of AG2R came in last today.
  • Cumulonimbus
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    Tusher wrote:
    Van Hummel now has a lead of 26'22" over Hutarovich in the overall- but we still have the mountains to come. Christophe Riblon of AG2R came in last today.

Lloyd Mondory is a camdidate. He's a sprinter and has done a lot of work for Nocentini so will be knackered for the mountains
  • Cumulonimbus
    Van Hummel has a big lead but Tom Boonen is lurking near the front of the chasing group. With no luck in the sprints maybe he will have a go at this instead? :lol:
  • Tusher
    Thanks for the interview link, Cumulonimbus. Nice to see he's taking it seriously, and looking forward to the fame and money of the post tour crits (although I understand that this is no where near as great as it once was).

So, after Stage 17, our Kenny is still in the lead, with Hutarovich 26 minutes behind. Both came in with a large bunch 23' 44" behind. Lampre's Simon Spilak was today's Lanterne, finally arriving a whopping 45' 45" behind. Must have been a long, lonely road for him as there was absolutely no-one else even close to him. Such is the calibre of a true lanterne.
    Not sure what happened to Spilak, but he finished outside the time cut- if I remember correctly, they have 10% to play with, unless they can bring the autobus home together.

But you're right, with Tom Boonen 38 minutes, he could still go for it and try to rescue something from a catastrophic tour. At least we would all still remember he was still IN the tour.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Cracking video here from inside the Skil car on stage 8, when Van Hummel, Napolitano and Furlan were out the back from the very start:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTPKaeFbcA8

I love how the team directors talk amongst themselves and agree for one car to stay behind and look after all 3 riders. Really good insight into what happens at the back of the race.
  • mmitchell88
    mmitchell88 Posts: 340
    afx237vi wrote:
    Cracking video here from inside the Skil car on stage 8, when Van Hummel, Napolitano and Furlan were out the back from the very start:

I love how the team directors talk amongst themselves and agree for one car to stay behind and look after all 3 riders. Really good insight into what happens at the back of the race.

That's possibly the most intriguing bit of coverage I've seen all week! Nice link.
    Making a cup of coffee is like making love to a beautiful woman. It's got to be hot. You've got to take your time. You've got to stir... gently and firmly. You've got to grind your beans until they squeak.
    And then you put in the milk.
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    nice video, more interesting than the other end of the race!
  • Tusher
    What a superb link- thanks!

And one of the most inspiring videos I've seen in ages.

I started serioulsy following pro cycling through the Lanterne Rouge one tour and from there became fascinated by the sprinters. The mountain goats can keep up on flat stages, but the sprinters have to run on adrenalin on the flat and suffer on the mountains.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    afx237vi wrote:

Thanks for that. I love in car footage. It's interesting that a Dutch team with no native English speakers use English as their language (even to dutch riders).

Of course, I've never met a Dutchman without perfect English
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • teagar
    RichN95 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Thanks for that. I love in car footage. It's interesting that a Dutch team with no native English speakers use English as their language (even to dutch riders).

Of course, I've never met a Dutchman without perfect English

They do use Dutch...

NOS were in their DS car in the first week and it was Dutch to the Dutch riders.

It's only over the radio do they use english since all the riders get that and they don't want to be too exclusive.

They certainly chat Dutch to each other. There's even a little voice-over on that vid :wink:.

Been following Skill quite closely this year. I'm becoming a big van Hummel fan.
  • Tusher
    Wonder whether it was the Astana or Milram car that followed Dimitry Muravyev and Johannes Frohlinger home 7'39" this afternoon, 59 seconds behind the next bunch.

Kenny Van Hummel retains a comfortable lead over Hutarovich of 26' 22", but anything could happen in the next few days.
  • teagar
    I'd be surprised, though very pleased if van Hummel gets to Paris.
  • Tusher
    +1

Hypothetically, I wonder what he (or his DS) would do if he was close to the Lanterne Rouge the night before the Champs, but not certain of it. Would he go for the sprint in the wild hope that he could achieve a victory there, but would likely not, or would he hold back to win the Lanterne?
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    After the events of today I can't help wondering if Cav will get all sulky about the green jersey and focus on the lanterne instead
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • afx237vi
    Aww, Kenny Van Hummel has withdrawn :cry:

Hutarovich is the new lanterne rouge.
  • Tusher
    Van Hummel has withdrawn????

That IS a shame, poor man. Do you know the reasons for it? Presume he's knackered.

I'd be dead.

Yes, indeed, Cavendish should grab this opportunity- it may not come around every year, and he's more than capable of loosing the time required. He's presently lying 136 out of 163, and only 20 minutes behind, now that Kenny Van HUmmel has packed his suitcase.
  • afx237vi
    I think Hutarovich has gone too? He's not listed on the results page yet.

The next last man was Jonathan Hivert, but he finished 4 minutes ahead of Andreas Klier today, who I think is the new lanterne rouge.
  • Tusher
    Aye, just been searching for Hutarovich as well and couldn't see him at all. And one of the outside hopefuls, Tom Boonen, has also retired.

All very disappointing.
  • Tusher
    HURRAH! Hutarovich has made it up the hill- 33'32" down, but he's safely in last place.
  • afx237vi
    Eurosport was wrong, KENNY IS STILL IN THE TOUR!!

45 minutes down on today's stage, what a rider!! This guy is going to be a cult hero after the Tour de France ends.
  • jp1985
    jp1985 Posts: 434
    afx237vi wrote:
    Aww, Kenny Van Hummel has withdrawn :cry:

Hutarovich is the new lanterne rouge.

Van Hummel is shown as coming in 45' 43" down
  • Tusher
    This is nail biting stuff- initial elation that Kenny's still there followed by frantic mental arithmetic.

I think he may have missed the time-cut.
  • afx237vi
    Tusher wrote:
    This is nail biting stuff- initial elation that Kenny's still there followed by frantic mental arithmetic.

I think he may have missed the time-cut.

No, he's still in the race, a whopping 39 minutes clear of Hutarovich :shock:
  • Tusher
    Whew
  • Cumulonimbus
    From the post here i think the cut-off was 50 minutes today

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... &start=160

5 hours to do almost exactly 200km = 40km/h and therefore =16% of the winner's time. 16% of 1 hour is 1/6th or 10 minutes. 5 times that = 50 minutes. Hope ive got that right. If so, then he had 4 minutes to spare. Dont know what you were all worrying about :wink:

Must have been a long lonely ride though and if the climb to Verbier had been longer then i think he would be packing his bags. If he had managed to get dropped with the two in front then it would have been more comfortable. Where did he get dropped? The Col du Mosses?