Michael Jackson Dead

Comments

• greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    NapoleonD wrote:
    There are rumours that the Cardiac arrest was brought about by MJ tripping over a child's pram. A spokesperson was quoted as saying that further details will be announced but at the moment we shouldn't blame it on the buggy.

The death certificate is likley to list "boogie" as cause of death with the coroner having already ruled out sunshine, moonlight and good times as possible causes...
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513

The death certificate is likley to list "boogie" as cause of death with the coroner having already ruled out sunshine, moonlight and good times as possible causes...

it seems he was unable to control his feet.......
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I only like his very early stuff but also fail to see why he was so popular to the point of hysteria!

+1 early stuff great, musically disappeared up his own bum some years ago.

Apparently he had a Stroke in the Children's Ward :oops:
  • stfc1
    stfc1 Posts: 505
    Nothing wrong with Led Zep. Just that I used them as an example of a rock mediocrity

Led Zeppelin? Rock mediocrity? How very dare you.

RIP Jacko.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    So you're obviously a music fan then, Porgy. But you're 'completely baffled by his extreme popularity'? That doesn't make sense to me as surely you can see that he made perfect pop records which embedded themselves in popular culture? Just like Abba and the Beatles, you may not like the music but you have to recognise how and why it was popular and important?

Nothing wrong with Led Zep. Just that I used them as an example of a rock mediocrity....with an edge. Not my bag, but of course I recognise their contribution.

Its important to recongise the difference between bad music and music that isn't to your taste. Michael Jackson obviously isn't to your taste but you can recognise its worth...no?

No, not really - I'm a big Quincy Jones fan and see his work with MJ as seriously compromised in order to be commerical.

I like a lot of soul/ dance/ disco / rnb btw and almost every other major artist has more merit than Jackson. At a push I'd say Jackson made one great album - Off The Wall - but even that is patchy - I mean there's that god awful thing he did with McCartney on there.

I don't get ABBA either - I never thoguht they were very good tbh - the odd good hook but their songs are generally tedious and irritating.

I don't think you can say Led Zep are mediocre btw - groundbreaking - and I still can't think of a rock/ blues band that even comes close. There are better bands of course, but none that can do what Led Zep did - and god knows enough bands have tried.

Oh....maybe White Stripes a bit - but then he's just copying isn't he?
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Well, what can I say. You'll hear plenty of experts over the next few days telling you why his work was so important and popular. They're talking about it on the radio constantly today. When the members of Abba pass away you'll hear plenty of experts talking endlessly about their harmonies and melodies and why they were so important in pop music history too. I can't say I like their music either...although Fernando is a good one! 8)

By the way Porgy. Can you recommend some Quincy Jones albums? I heard Trevor Nelson showcasing one of his albums on his Wednesday night soul show on Radio 2 but I can't remember what album it was. (Trevor is on the Jeremy Vine show now actually...and worth listening to what he has to say about MJ). Also, his Wednesday night show is good for soul fans btw.
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    .....When Alex Fergson was asked bout his 2009/10 squad plans he said that unlike Jacko he still planned to play Giggs this August.....
  • Porgy
    Well, what can I say. You'll hear plenty of experts over the next few days telling you why his work was so important and popular. They're talking about it on the radio constantly today. When the members of Abba pass away you'll hear plenty of experts talking endlessly about their harmonies and melodies and why they were so important in pop music history too.

I don't listen to "experts" - I'd rather listen to an enthusiastic fan to be honest.

Important and popular are, of course, two entirely different things - one of my favourite tracks ever - Sister Ray by the Velvet Underground - I've pretty much only read bad things about but I love it - and one of my favourite bands ever - the ramones - well - it's not about technicalities is it? It's about something undefinable.

I watched a programme about the making of Thriller a while back and so can appreciate the work that went into it - even can pick out bits i like - but I think the sum total is rather less than the parts that went into it.

I don't like Sgt Pepper either - and yet I love the Beatles generally. I don't know what that means - maybe that if you mess about with the music too much it becomes souless - which is after all kind of the point of music - to make you feel - at least something - which is why i love it.
  • Soul Boy
    Soul Boy Posts: 359
    What Trevor Nelson did say was that he had an opportunity to meet Jacko, but turned it down, because of the 'alligations'. He has kids you know :wink:

More upset by Farrah Fawcett leaving us, a much bigger influence in my formative years..
  • heavymental
    Ah well, I love his stuff, Porgy. Human Nature, Off The Wall, Don't Stop Til You Get Enough, Billie Jean, Thriller, Girlfriend, Beat It, Man In The Mirror etc etc. Such great tunes, rhythms, words. Brilliant.

Got any Quicy recommendations for me then?
  • heavymental
    Soul Boy wrote:
    What Trevor Nelson did say was that he had an opportunity to meet Jacko, but turned it down, because of the 'alligations'. He has kids you know :wink:

Did he say that? I didn't hear that. Strange as he was hosting the after party at his gigs planned for next month.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    bastards.
  • Porgy
    Ah well, I love his stuff, Porgy. Human Nature, Off The Wall, Don't Stop Til You Get Enough, Billie Jean, Thriller, Girlfriend, Beat It, Man In The Mirror etc etc. Such great tunes, rhythms, words. Brilliant.

Got any Quicy recommendations for me then?

I'll have to get back to you - I'm crap at remembering titles - and only have a series of QJ compilations not the proper albums. But generally I like his 60s stuff - I have a tape compilation of stuff he wrote for tv and films in late 60s/ early 70s somewhere - but its in a box in storage as is all my music on tape, vinyl and CD.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    freehub wrote:
    bastards.

care to elaborate...?
  • freehub
    edited June 2009
    softlad wrote:
    freehub wrote:
    bastards.

care to elaborate...?

Nah, I don't need to
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    they are saying that its suspected suicide now. They are saying it was drugs. They found class a in the bathroom, class b in the bedroom and class 4'c in the lounge

SHAMONE MUTHAFUPPER!
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Porgy
    Well - he had enough reasons to do himself in.

Plenty of murmers that he wasn't fit to do one gig let alone a year in the O2. And it'll be interesting to see how big his debts actually are - it'll probably make Robert Maxwell look small-time.
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    Porgy wrote:

Quincy Jones on the other hand is a f.ucking genius. And Jackson owed him everything.

Didn't he drive the Cannonball Express?
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Prob.looking for a medical way out of the gigs but it all went wrong. The lawyers/Ticketmaster and the Jackson family will all be on the cash-in soon. There'll be the merchandise, the MJ-land theme park etc.

McDonalds are bringing out a MJ burger...50 year old meat between 2 10 year old buns :D
    M.Rushton
  • mrushton
    Dombo6 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

Quincy Jones on the other hand is a f.ucking genius. And Jackson owed him everything.

Didn't he drive the Cannonball Express?

he probably told the kids they could go as fast as they like and get to blow his whistle
    M.Rushton
  • freehub
    Don't any of you have any respect? No one knows for a fact that he was a kiddy fiddler, it's likely he was not tbh, he had a **** childhood. His music was great, yes admittedly he did look very weird.

Lots of sheep round here.
  • freehub wrote:
    bastards.

mind_your_language.jpg

Potty mouth.
    If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
  • mrushton
    freehub wrote:
    Don't any of you have any respect? No one knows for a fact that he was a kiddy fiddler, it's likely he was not tbh, he had a **** childhood. His music was great, yes admittedly he did look very weird.

No, I don't think we do and you know what? we don't give a toss! he lived his life in the public eye and like a lot of celebrities was happy to reap the rewards. people like him or Liza Minelli could always get a job at Wal-mart and live quietly but somehow that will never happen. he may have been psychologically damaged but he had the money to get help (if he wanted it). Anyway, what's happening in the real world
    M.Rushton
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    I cant stand the jokes related around his affairs with boys.

People come on here and elsewhere saying how dsgusting it is and its good he is dead etc, and at the same time making the issue light hearted by making up jokes.

I really dont think its a laughing matter at all.
    Mañana
  • mrushton
    pb21 wrote:

People come on here and elsewhere saying how dsgusting it is and its good he is dead etc, and at the same time making the issue light hearted by making up jokes.

Which bit? The allegations, his death or the humour or all of it?
    M.Rushton
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Has anyone brought up the white glove project.

I think it's a lovely example of people doing something nice for mj...

one of the results can be found here
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    mrushton wrote:
    pb21 wrote:

Which bit? The allegations, his death or the humour or all of it?

Making jokes about peadophillia. It just strikes me as absurd.
    Mañana
  • mrushton
    Is that the love of a garden vegetable?
    M.Rushton
  • Soul Boy
    Soul Boy Posts: 359
    Soul Boy wrote:

Did he say that? I didn't hear that. Strange as he was hosting the after party at his gigs planned for next month.

In an interview on Radio 5.
  • freehub
    edited June 2009
    freehub wrote:
    bastards.

mind_your_language.jpg

Potty mouth.

You called me what? And you don't even know what it means.

No, I don't think we do and you know what? we don't give a toss! he lived his life in the public eye and like a lot of celebrities was happy to reap the rewards. people like him or Liza Minelli could always get a job at Wal-mart and live quietly but somehow that will never happen. he may have been psychologically damaged but he had the money to get help (if he wanted it). Anyway, what's happening in the real world

If you have no respect then you are tbh total scum, imagine if someone you knew died and people where making fun of it, you'd not have any of that and that is a fact.

Now if I made fun of someone on here who died, looked around at his posts then found something I could make fun of, I know I'd have heaps of people jumping at me, if I took the piss out of the death of someone for example THEGREATGATSBY.