RPCC Ride - Sat 27th / Sun 28th June

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    phips wrote:
    Mos jersey out at the moment. Might swap that to golden fleece come morning time.
    It has to be done, 4 of them together - safety in numbers :lol:
  • The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    Yep has to be done Phipsy!

BTW just about to change my rear tube so will be headin out with out a spare but do have patches.

Fingers crossed nothing eventuates otherwise I could find myself beg, steal or borrowing someones spare for the day. :oops: .

Edit:

Correction I just exploded my last tube - I could be a late scratching :evil: :evil: :evil:

The long grazed legged one
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    I hope you have not jinxed the ride. My god it is hot already. My legs are like lead this morning
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    WTF Was that all about?? :evil: :evil: :evil:

GROUP Ride, no? I love a good fast chaingang as much as anyone but it does not look good when 2 of our newest recruits have to make their own way back to London from Epsom because you've all f?&ked off on some mental pace line, not to mention the fact that Bern was nowhere to be seen at the time.

Not happy guys :roll: :evil:

Bern - I waited for you for ages but couldn't see you at all. Sorry I didn't come back for you - can you just let us know you got back ok? :shock:

Ryan - nice one for sticking with us mate - you looked like you were suffering for the last half, but you stuck at it. Well done. Hope you enjoyed your rest in the park and got back to Norf London ok?!

A bit stop-start today, but cracking weather so not a real problem. A useful 125k for me, even if my legs just weren't having it!
  • Rich-Ti
    And now that I've calmed down a little... :roll:

In future if we going to end with a chaingang (and yes, I am annoyed I missed it, just for the record!) can we make sure that everyone who wants to be on is on, and everyone who's not up for it is aware that it is about to happen and we are sure they're ok to get back. Likewise with people who want to have a go but might not be able to hang on.

I waited all ride for that and missed out because you all flew through Epsom without checking everyone was on, and in waiting for Bern I completely lost touch.

On the subject of which, still no news from Bern - anyone heard from him? Knew I should have gone back to check he was alright... :shock:
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    Yeah, fair point - but a bit like a headmaster's bollocking.. (please tell me you're not a teacher) :)

The last bit from Epsom to Kingston wasn't ideal - the puncture split the group, and then a few of us peddalled like hell to catch up (thanks for the tow, Al). I thought there was two pretty equal-sized groups at this point, it was only on that stretch from the big roundabout to the A3 that I realised how big our group was and that only a couple had fallen off the back...

Hopefully Berns got back okay, and totally agree with the plan for next time (if it makes you feel any better, we didn't get a proper chaingang going!)

Other than that, thoroughly enjoyed the ride. I'm absolutely buzzing now - the new steed purred its way around the Surrey hills :D

I recorded 73.5m at an average speed of 17.1mph. (Top speed 45.8 :shock: )
  • thebongolian
    thebongolian Posts: 333
    First, thanks everyone for what was mainly a great ride on a gourgeous day

Thanks also for waiting when I had my puncture

A shame we got split up in the run in from Epsom - the blame can be shared between those of us in the front group - but god thoughts on how to manage things on future rides
  • The emu
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    WTF Was that all about?? :evil: :evil: :evil:

GROUP Ride, no? I love a good fast chaingang as much as anyone but it does not look good when 2 of our newest recruits have to make their own way back to London from Epsom because you've all f?&ked off on some mental pace line, not to mention the fact that Bern was nowhere to be seen at the time.

Not happy guys :roll: :evil:

!

I'm not making any apologies for wanting to get home quiickly after having to wait on top of a hill for half an hour because the GROUP couldn't follow a simple instruction like stop :roll:

With that said, I do agree it is something we need to sort out for future rides.

• NWLondoner
    Hi Guys.

Firstly a BIG thanks to Bern,Rich and Jorge and the rest for helping us out on those climbs. It was HUGLEY appreciated.

Secondly I wish to apologise if anyone feels that my cr*p hill climbing held the group up. I do realise that yesterday was not the best of days due to both the stop/start nature of the ride (probably due to me) plus the added hot conditions.

From a personal point of view that puncture could not have come at a worse time(do they ever) and by the time we set off again my legs had cooled down and just cramped up.

Thankfully i have some days extra days off work over the next couple of weeks so am planning to get some extra mileage. Probably a mixture of extra laps around RP after work on Wednesday and a couple of solo trips down to Ranmore and Box Hill.
  • Rich-Ti
    The emu wrote:
    I'm not making any apologies for wanting to get home quiickly after having to wait on top of a hill for half an hour because the GROUP couldn't follow a simple instruction like stop :roll:
    After your own navigational error followed by your own decision to ride off alone you mean? :wink:
  • The emu
    Ryan, don't apologise for anything mate - was a tough ride and if there should be any apologies it defintiely doesn't need to be you.

Now can we please just put this to bed and move onwards and upwards.

• NWLondoner
    phips wrote:

) Hope this hasn't scared you off - stick with us, and the form will come on pretty quickly.

--Phips

Not at all, although i don't know when i'll be along next. Got to work a couple of Saturdays in July plus doing a charity ride on the 19th July so don't want to be a doing a surrey hills ride the day before :shock:
  • voxegam
    voxegam Posts: 244
    Yeh, I agree with all of you guys. It was a great ride (despite the somewhat interesting route at times) and it was good to see all of you....RPCC has certainly become more popular since last Christmas.
    As has sort of been said before, I think the buisness on the way back was an honest mistake. After waiting up for the puncture and then moving off, I guess we thought everyone was on and by the time we started to gas it on a bit, nobody really looked behind to check.
    Anyway, onwards to next weeks ride.
    Trek Madone 6.5 Pro
    Planet-X (now winter-bike)
  • london-red
    Phips, like the graph - but is there any way of putting that in English in terms of total metres climbed? Or even the route we did? I'd be interested to have a look.
  • NWLondoner
    I uploaded my data to 3 different sites and all give Different figures. They range from total ascent 830m to 1800m. Hoping bikely will give accurate figure later today.
  • Berns12
    Berns12 Posts: 198
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    Bern - I waited for you for ages but couldn't see you at all. Sorry I didn't come back for you - can you just let us know you got back ok? :shock:

!

Rich, presume you got my text on Saturday. I lost you guys after the puncture incident. By the time I managed to get onto road after waiting for a gap in the traffic, I encountered a red light and saw you guys escape in the distance. Tried to catch up but figured took a wrong turn and kept riding hoping to catch uo

Apologies should have texted but I was too engrossed in hoping to catch up. In the end the Garmin got me home.

In terms of the group ride on the weekend, and all the gripes about it, there are lessons to be learned by all, me included, as I must confess I should have texted Rich a lot earlier. Apologies Rich.

While I would welcome other suggestions, one I might suggest is that if there are deadlines to be met (eg: needing to be home by 2 for the Lions game), the route may need to be adjusted to pending on the group's breadth of ability on the day to be fair to everyone as we are a group ride, akin to the Dynamo 9am Sunday ride and not the fast ride where it is "no stopping".

Another suggestion is if the numbers are there, split the group at the top of Coombe so the faster guys who want the miles but need to get back home can do the Coombe, Peaslake, Leith adventure, while the newer or those wanting a slower pace can head straight to Box and either re-group there or head home. This I think will put less pressure on all to either catch up or to "rush" home for the said deadline.
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    Berns12 wrote:
    Another suggestion is if the numbers are there, split the group at the top of Coombe so the faster guys who want the miles but need to get back home can do the Coombe, Peaslake, Leith adventure, while the newer or those wanting a slower pace can head straight to Box and either re-group there or head home. This I think will put less pressure on all to either catch up or to "rush" home for the said deadline.

Hi chaps sounds like a good'un apart from the split at the end. Berns makes a good suggestion, but I have one which might appeal. I agree there is a fair spread of ability now, which is great as it means that we have got more and more popular, and we have the fact that whilst we go out and ride in much the same manner as a club, we are more approachable as people who follow the threads or lurk come along, really enjoy it and then keep coming back - look at Ryan, Berns and Phips - they all come from miles away just to ride.

What about if we agree that we all get to Box Hill together, then work out who wants to hoon and who doesnt, then have a slow group, and a quick group. The quick group leaves first and gets to Horton country park (you know, the road with all the roundabouts just after Epsom town centre) and then chaingangs it up and down that section until they explode or the slower group catches them up and then we can all ride back to RP together. If timed right this would allow about 20-30 minutes of really high intensity changaning, which is probably enough after 60 miles. Seems to make perfect sense to me and keeps all happy. The only thing is that someone has to know the way back in the slower group, but I am sure we can sort that out. I guess that may not help with the wanting to get back for the rugby though.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • london-red
    I'll sort both later on Dave. That was just a screen grab of a portion of my software (Ascent, on the Mac).

All ok after the gravel incident?

Nice one. I'm looking forward to seeing how random the route looks on Bikely :lol:

As for the gravel rash, the pride was definitely wounded more... Serves me right for attempting a 90 degree turn from a stationary position, with the front wheel on a bed of gravel. Couldn't have chosen a worse place to try it if I'd tried... :roll:
  • NWLondoner
    I have already put it on bikely. Have a search.
  • The emu
    London-Red wrote:
    As for the gravel rash, the pride was definitely wounded more... Serves me right for attempting a 90 degree turn from a stationary position, with the front wheel on a bed of gravel. Couldn't have chosen a worse place to try it if I'd tried... :roll:

You just wanted to out do me after my stunt moments before - how I got out of that squeeky bum moment unscathed is beyond me. :lol: :oops:

For those who didn't witness my latest trick on the weekend you missed something special.

<cue circus music>
    Travelling what must have been around 50 Ks down the hill and with hands on the drops, hit a pot hole I didn't see in the shade with sunny's on, front wheel jams in hard, I almost go over the front, the back end gets thrown up what felt like 2 or 3 feet, and whilst still travelling down the road at a fair rate of knots on my front wheel manage to somehow bring the back down in one piece and stay upright. :mrgreen:

Felt like an eternity on my front wheel but probably only went 2 or 3 metres.

• Mal-inger
    Mal-inger Posts: 15
    Can't compete with your acrobatics Wilf but the comedy continues - I suffered from exploding front tyre syndrome in Richmond Park at the end of the ride.

Luckily I wasn't on the bike when it opened fire : )
  • london-red
    The emu wrote:
    You just wanted to out do me after my stunt moments before - how I got out of that squeeky bum moment unscathed is beyond me. :lol: :oops:

Seeing you keep that one under control was one of the highlights of the ride - no wonder you got a pint in (at least it would have calmed the nerves a little...)

Onwards and upwards. Btw, I like the Box Hill suggestion - that keeps the appeal of a group ride for all abilities while allowing a bit of fun for those that one it at the end.
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Felgen - not a bad plan. Depends on the numbers I suppose. I'll let you do the lead out :)

Happy that I wasn't responsible or the random detour last Saturday :o