Rebellin positive at olympics

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    A weightlifter on drugs? OUTRAGEOUS.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    No Brits apparently according to the Telegraph report.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Pokerface wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Well, here's a stupid question. How does this "news agency" know the name if the IOC
    didn't release the name? Not one way or another about who(other than sad for the sport) but how do these names get out there if the governing body hasn't "released" the names?

Dennis Noward

It's called a leak. You can't seriously not know that.

I know, but it's kind of sad(if that's the right word). Reminds me of news here in the states
    when the sports announcer says that such and such a team will hold a press conference tomorrow to announce the hiring of so and so as the new head coach. So,
    I'm going to tune in again tomorrow to listen to something that I already know today??
    Is it just me? My wife says it is. I'm all alone in the world in thinking like this? I need to seek help.

Dennis Noward
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Well Den, you know what they say - recognising there's a problem is the first step towards fixing it...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    dennisn wrote:
    I know, but it's kind of sad(if that's the right word). Reminds me of news here in the states
    when the sports announcer says that such and such a team will hold a press conference tomorrow to announce the hiring of so and so as the new head coach. So,
    I'm going to tune in again tomorrow to listen to something that I already know today??
    Is it just me? My wife says it is. I'm all alone in the world in thinking like this? I need to seek help.
    It's an important part of a journalist's job to get the news before anyone else does. If we wait for 'official information', we may end up waiting until the heat death of the universe.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    cougie wrote:
    Explains his easy win in Fleche last week too - he wasnt even out of breath on that hill.

Cheating git. Good riddance.

Hes always been a bit sus has Tin Tin he wont be missed.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    NZ Herald:-
    The person, speaking on condition of anonymity because the names haven't been released by the IOC, said one of the track and field athletes was a male gold medallist.

....and I suppose, depending upon who the other rider is, he won't be missed either.
    Unless, of course, it's the guy some WUM has posted over on the CN forum. :roll:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    would it be wrong to hope the athletics gold medalist was a sprinter ? :twisted: ofcourse it wont be him or it would have leaked and be everywhere by now
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Sure it might be an important part Jeff, but I easily recognise what Dennis's saying (gawd, I'm with Dennis :lol:)

How often do we hear on the BBC/ITN/Sky news in the morning that later today the Prime Minister or Chancellor or David Cameron or whoever will announce that...

They're announcing, err, what the BBC/ITN/Sky news has already announced, surely ?

I guess in days gone by, pre-telly, all the newspapers would have had columnists in Parliament all day long, who would get maybe just 10 minutes notice there was going to be an announcement, would go along and hear it, would then ring their papers and file it and this is how announcements were reported as news stories.

These days, I guess they need to film it and they can't have film crews kicking around in Parliament all day long in the same way you could with just some newspaper reporters, so someone in the press office has the job of announcing to the media what the announcements are going to be, so the news programs have time to decide it's important enough to send a film crew for.
    But the result is that the morning's - or even the night before's - news is all about what's going to be the news, not what has been...
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    deal wrote:
    would it be wrong to hope the athletics gold medalist was a sprinter ? :twisted: ofcourse it wont be him or it would have leaked and be everywhere by now
    It'll probably be the men's 50km walk. An Italian won
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    Can't believe it from The Priest.. but of course it's just so obvious.

Shame.
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    I know. If people could keep secrets and the internet didn't exist and then it'd be much more orderly and we could be fed news at an appropriate time, like just before dinner. But people love to talk, journalists are good at listening and news spreads like wildfire, especially with the advent of Twitter.

We heard about the Hamilton positive ages ago, confirmed it reliably but it wasn't quite good enough to publish so we waited until it became 'official'. For whatever reason, it took the Hamilton camp six weeks to get their story straight. I don't know if that makes it better or worse in the eyes of the cycling public, but that's how it came out.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • dennisn
    andy_wrx wrote:
    Sure it might be an important part Jeff, but I easily recognise what Dennis's saying (gawd, I'm with Dennis :lol:)

How often do we hear on the BBC/ITN/Sky news in the morning that later today the Prime Minister or Chancellor or David Cameron or whoever will announce that...

They're announcing, err, what the BBC/ITN/Sky news has already announced, surely ?

I guess in days gone by, pre-telly, all the newspapers would have had columnists in Parliament all day long, who would get maybe just 10 minutes notice there was going to be an announcement, would go along and hear it, would then ring their papers and file it and this is how announcements were reported as news stories.

These days, I guess they need to film it and they can't have film crews kicking around in Parliament all day long in the same way you could with just some newspaper reporters, so someone in the press office has the job of announcing to the media what the announcements are going to be, so the news programs have time to decide it's important enough to send a film crew for.
    But the result is that the morning's - or even the night before's - news is all about what's going to be the news, not what has been...

So, I'm not alone. There are other nuts out here.

Dennis Noward
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Kléber wrote:
    deal wrote:
    It'll probably be the men's 50km walk. An Italian won

CONI said there was only 1 Italian, and we know that's Rebellin.

Take your pick from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletics_ ... ympics#Men

Kohl's agent had lots of African distance runners on his books...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If its CERA positives, then would it be more likely to be a distance runner than sprinters ?

Cant be 100% though on this !
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    andy_wrx wrote:

In the days pre-24 rolling news, you only published once a day or to one bulletin. The stories were leaked just the same, to reporters early so that they had plenty of time to get their quotes and file their copy for the papers to make their deadline. Nothing has changed in that respect.

All that has changed is that the news publishing cycling is much quicker now. News gets reported quicker, simple as that.
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    edited April 2009
    cougie wrote:
    If its CERA positives, then would it be more likely to be a distance runner than sprinters ?

Cant be 100% though on this !

more likely but not certain, Dwayne Chambers & his buddies were on EPO.

hope the 2nd cyclist is Schumacher, time trial was less than 3 weeks after the tour so its conceivable the cera was still in his system (meant to have a long half life isnt it ?)
  • Kléber
    cougie wrote:
    Laugh vs cry: Dwain Chambers was on EPO.
  • Rhods
    Rhods Posts: 400
    Kleber
    "I am calm": it's funny how some literal translation by cyclingnews has created this loaded phrase. I think estoy tranquilo really means "I'm happy with things", "I'm cool with it". The same for io sono tranquillo in Italian. After all, no one in English really says "I am calm", it sounds wooden if you translate it directly.

Not that I'm being fussy about the translation, it's more that the literal - but wrong - translation has taken its own meaning amongst us cynics. "Calm" really means "I'm in denial", "I've got my lawyers on speedial" or "hell, my career and reputation are dangling by a thread". Similarly "preparation" is double-entendre stuff, it does not mean training, it means getting loaded on CERA.

Thank you.
    My French stretched to the literal translation, but I thought I was missing a hidden meaning somewhere!
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Just what cycling needs, another positive or two... Of course if it is Rebellin the timing is perfect given his age-defying win last week. At a time of economic uncertainty it is a perfect reason for a further exodus of sponsors and race organisers.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Oh this is just sh*te!

But good in a way...

I feel cheated out of an afternoons TV watching too though...

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Actually, I'm bloody annoyed.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    deal wrote:

It's been stated that the gold medalist only won one gold. And why would you hope it's Bolt - the man's a star and great to watch.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dennisn
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    It's an important part of a journalist's job to get the news before anyone else does. If we wait for 'official information', we may end up waiting until the heat death of the universe.

You're right about that. And yet, can we even believe the "official information"?
    And when will this heat death happen? I still have a few things left to do in life.
    :wink:
    Dennis Noward
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    So - if it is true - does the effect his most recent win also? Would a ban be retroactive?

Also - interesting that the IOC managed to catch out Rebellin, but the UCI and the bio passport and their testing didn't catch him!
  • markwalker
    markwalker Posts: 953
    I think i need some of this CERA. There are lots of people i need to punish on Sportives this year. :)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Only crazy people are using CERA now.

It's all about DynEPO now.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Kléber
    Pokerface wrote:
    Also - interesting that the IOC managed to catch out Rebellin, but the UCI and the bio passport and their testing didn't catch him!
    Wake up! The UCI doesn't want to catch riders. It still has the samples from the 2008 Giro d'Italia but does not want to retro test them for CERA because it would actually catch people.

"From the UCI's point of view, we prefer to look forward rather than look backward," McQuaid said in an interview with The Associated Press on Monday. "To randomly say 'OK, let's take all the samples from 2007 from the Tour de France and put them all through testing processes' ... it's futile, it's expensive and it's not going to serve the purpose in the anti-doping fight of today. If we're going to start rejigging the podium of every major international race over the past two or three years, by finding new tests for new products, and going back to the organizer and saying 'you've got to rejig your podium' .. it makes a complete mockery of sport."
    Pat McQuaid, October 2008

Clearly the IOC doesn't any concerns about "rejigging the podium" and finding new tests, for they deliberately store samples for eight years and retest them in case new screening methods come to light. We could have the Giro samples retested but actually catching riders and upsetting the results is considered the wrong thing by the UCI, it seems to let people get away with doping.

Personally I'd get re-jiggy on as many podiums as possible and I'd also rejig the UCI, people like Pat McQuaid are part of the problem.
  • markwalker
    iainf72 wrote:
    Only crazy people are using CERA now.

It's all about DynEPO now.

Ok where can i get some of that?
  • markwalker
    Kléber wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    Wake up! The UCI doesn't want to catch riders. It still has the samples from the 2008 Giro d'Italia but does not want to retro test them for CERA because it would actually catch people.

"From the UCI's point of view, we prefer to look forward rather than look backward," McQuaid said in an interview with The Associated Press on Monday. "To randomly say 'OK, let's take all the samples from 2007 from the Tour de France and put them all through testing processes' ... it's futile, it's expensive and it's not going to serve the purpose in the anti-doping fight of today. If we're going to start rejigging the podium of every major international race over the past two or three years, by finding new tests for new products, and going back to the organizer and saying 'you've got to rejig your podium' .. it makes a complete mockery of sport."
    Pat McQuaid, October 2008

Clearly the IOC doesn't any concerns about "rejigging the podium" and finding new tests, for they deliberately store samples for eight years and retest them in case new screening methods come to light. We could have the Giro samples retested but actually catching riders and upsetting the results is considered the wrong thing by the UCI, it seems to let people get away with doping.

Personally I'd get re-jiggy on as many podiums as possible and I'd also rejig the UCI, people like Pat McQuaid are part of the problem.

Bang on
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    The only shock in this story is that he got caught.

I think everyone has had their suspicions for ages.