Rebellin positive at olympics

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Best case scenario for the 2nd positive cyclist would be Schumacher.
    However, he rode a sh*t olympic trial and would be pushing the CERA time frame.

Some speculation about that the Hungarian hammer thrower guy is the GM winner/loser.

I'm waiting upon either Iain, or the "Hindustani Times" publishing the full list. :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    So Little Schleck takes L-B-L and the Fleche... not a bad week.

Gilbert gets a second monument podium place, Sanchez stands on the Fleche podium and Pozzato and Ugalde get Ruta del Sol stage wins.

Well done, lads.
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    iainf72 wrote:
    Only crazy people are using CERA now.

It's all about DynEPO now.

Is it 2007 all over again? Oh FFS.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    It sounds like Davide isn't tranquilo at all.

He's asked for the B to be analysed.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    It's a route worth pursuing if you recall what happened the last time an Olympic cycling medallist failed a test?
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    andyp wrote:
    It's a route worth pursuing if you recall what happened the last time an Olympic cycling medallist failed a test?

He didn't fail the test?

Strava is not Zen.
  • andyp
    Exactly. Mr Hamilton's A sample was positive but the B sample had been frozen and couldn't be used so he got off.
  • i thought tranquillo was an imperative. I.e. calm down in the vernacular and possibly stop riding like someone CERA'ed to the eye balls there may be implications for others if you're caught, type thing., in the peloton.
    Self confessed King of The Mole Hill
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Asking again - if he DOES turn out to be positive (which we all assume he will) - does this affect races that took place AFTER.

Will this nullify his Fleche-Wallone result? And will a ban be retroactive?

Or would Fleche stand if the tests taken on that day came back clean?

Any insights people?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Pokerface wrote:
    Or would Fleche stand if the tests taken on that day came back clean?
    Yes, the result would stand. You only get busted if you're caught. That's fair. Although if the CERA test was done promptly - it existed before the Olympics, ask Ricco - then Rebellin would have been banned long ago.
  • it all depends on who has a whizzinator

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7747833.stm
    Self confessed King of The Mole Hill
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited April 2009
    Bahrain's Rashid Ramzi and SS.
    http://newsticker.sueddeutsche.de/list/id/635411
    Also the German pro bicycle racer Stefan Schumacher belongs to the six athletes, who were tested in after inspection of that Beijing Olympiaproben positively on performance drugs. The alliance confirmed this German cyclist (BDR) of the German press
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • slojo
    slojo Posts: 56
    The athlete is Ramzi. Gold medalist in the 1500m.
  • claudb
    claudb Posts: 212
    I still can't believe that he thought he'd get away with it having just had 2 teammates test positive for it a week or so earlier. So much for using his head !!!!
  • andyp
    How's the Mekon gonna challenge this one then? Shall we set up a poll? :roll:
  • Makes perfect sense Claude, given it's advantage over yer standard EPO was that it didn't need to be injected as often. Plus, you'd probably want to charge up before leaving for China, given the customs implications of being caught smuggling drugs...
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • claudb
    claudb Posts: 212
    Makes perfect sense Claude, given it's advantage over yer standard EPO was that it didn't need to be injected as often. Plus, you'd probably want to charge up before leaving for China, given the customs implications of being caught smuggling drugs...

So he WAS actually using his head !!
    Just had a thought. Maybe Cera is present in Gerolsteiner and he gave his Italian pals Ricco and Piepoli a few bottles. That would explain Rebellin, Kohl, Schumaker, Piepoli, and Ricco.
    I think the testers should head for the Gerolsteiner bottling plant ASAP.
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    Gerolsteiner? More like Crealsteiner???

Wonder what Schumacher's excuse is going to be this time?

Could the labs tell if the CERA used was from the same batch? If it is then the old argument of I did it all on my own without anyone else in the team knowing about it just won't stand up.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    slojo wrote:

Hmm, wonder if the Bahrain athletics federation will ask for a refund. They could claim under the Trade Descriptions Act... item not sold as described.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    squired wrote:
    Just what cycling needs, another positive or two... Of course if it is Rebellin the timing is perfect given his age-defying win last week. At a time of economic uncertainty it is a perfect reason for a further exodus of sponsors and race organisers.

You're right. Cycling doesn't need more doping positives. The only good thing I can see coming out of all this is that cycling will eventually be forced to clean up it's act and "MOST" of the cheats will be caught and those thinking about trying it will, at the very least, have a bit more food for thought before they act. I see lots of bad cycling press
    right now but in the future I see all kinds of other sports heading down the same road
    and it would not be a huge stretch of the imagination(for me anyway) for cycling to be professional sports "poster boy" sometime down the road.

Dennis Noward
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    edited April 2009
    afx237vi wrote:
    slojo wrote:

Hmm, wonder if the Bahrain athletics federation will ask for a refund. They could claim under the Trade Descriptions Act... item not sold as described.

I wonder if they'll strip him of his Bahraini citizenship and he'll be sent back to Morocco.

Too many Kenyans, Eritreans, Moroccans, etc who've transferred over to the Gulf states under the athletes-for-nationality scam
  • 16simon
    16simon Posts: 154
    markwalker wrote:
    I think i need some of this CERA. There are lots of people i need to punish on Sportives this year. :)

Funny that you say that... I wonder if riders like Rumsas and the pro/semi pro teams that make a living out of riding sportives charge up knowing that there are no tests?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    dennisn wrote:
    The only good thing I can see coming out of all this is that cycling will eventually be forced to clean up it's act and "MOST" of the cheats will be caught and those thinking about trying it will, at the very least, have a bit more food for thought before they act. I see lots of bad cycling press
    Sadly we say this every time someone big is caught. Big names got caught in Festina, other were rumbled in Puerto. On top of this, many other champions have been busted, from Vinokourov to Museeuw, Petacchi to Ricco. What's happened since Festina a decade ago? Almost nothing.

It'll take real leadership to convince riders and teams of the need to reform and I don't see anyone in the UCI capable of this, they are caught in a trinity of massive incompetence, divisive internal politics and a desire to promote the sport that excludes being critical.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    16simon wrote:
    markwalker wrote:
    I think i need some of this CERA. There are lots of people i need to punish on Sportives this year. :)

Funny that you say that... I wonder if riders like Rumsas and the pro/semi pro teams that make a living out of riding sportives charge up knowing that there are no tests?

There are tests and they've turned up positives too (and sometimes quite far down the "classification").
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • 16simon
    LangerDan wrote:
    16simon wrote:
    markwalker wrote:

There are tests and they've turned up positives too (and sometimes quite far down the "classification").

That's interesting, I didn't know that they were testing sportive riders. Not that I'm doubting you, I'm just curious, do you have a reference for any such testing/positive tests?
  • andyp
    The Italian authorities did targetted raids the night before the Dolomite Marathon a couple of years ago and turned up large amounts of illegally acquired drugs, i.e. procured through the black market.
  • 16simon
    Who was behind the raids - the Italian police?

I bet the UCI (or national federations) don't do any testing of sportive riders.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    16simon wrote:
    Who was behind the raids - the Italian police?

I bet the UCI (or national federations) don't do any testing of sportive riders.

No, because they're not UCI sanctioned events. The UCI only covers pro racing.
  • andyp
    I think it was the Guardia di Finanzia, who are responsible for financial and economic crime in Italy.

The UCI have little or no jurisdiction over gran fondos as they are not UCI registered events. The Italian Federation will turn a blind eye.