How much of a bike-tart are you?

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I have different bikes to match my outfits apart from blue??? I see a project on the horizon :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Asprilla wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Its my goal to be a bike ninja!

Some mornings I join the running ninjas on the South Bank..

At 6.30 on a winter morning, dressed in all black they appear from allys and stairwells and silently make their way eastward along the the river, communicating only though inperceptible nods of recognition.

When I'm on my bike my colours are more like pricilla: queen of the desert than ghostdog: way of the samuri.....

I'm going for a particular colour scheme (perhaps all black) with slight variations.

I'm thinking Batman.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Throlkim
    Throlkim Posts: 94
    I'm not really coordinated.

Navy blue helmet (looks like Sonic the Hedgehog according to girlfriend)
    White/red/black jersey
    Black baselayer
    Black cycling 3/4 trousers
    Grey/blue/black SPD shoes

White/Lime Green Trek 1.5.

8)
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    itboffin wrote:
    I have different bikes to match my outfits apart from blue??? I see a project on the horizon :roll:

Actually I have this issue too, I have no kit to match my blue/white commuter bike - but then given my commute is so short I can't really justify buying kit to match. The vast majority of the tarty stuff I own, I'd own and need anyway - I figure if you need it why not match it!

I'm sure Swienenenenman is happy commuting in jeans/t shirt but there's no way that lack of kit is going to cut it on a proper ride. Jaysus I rode just 10 miles in jeans and a tshirt the other day and that was bad enough.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    For commuting I'm not co-ordinated

3/4 length Endura Humvee pants, a range of tops including red, yellow, black, re& white. being co-ordinated for commuting smacks of trying to hard

The weekends are a different matter

Black/white Madone bib shorts (with a hint of red), matching short sleeved top, white helmet, Most Panther carbon shoes - black/white with a hint or red (Eat your heart out JB, they'd go very well with a Prince :wink: )

All to ride a black/grey/white Trek Madone 5.2, the red highlights match the red nipples on the wheels, with matching Bonty or Trek water bottles
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    my goodness what a bunch of tarts

I go visible to work, stealth on a leisure ride and my MTB is brown so it won't show up the mud.

Nothing matches, to the best of my knowledge.
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    itboffin wrote:

Actually I have this issue too, I have no kit to match my blue/white commuter bike - but then given my commute is so short I can't really justify buying kit to match. The vast majority of the tarty stuff I own, I'd own and need anyway - I figure if you need it why not match it!

I'm sure Swienenenenman is happy commuting in jeans/t shirt but there's no way that lack of kit is going to cut it on a proper ride. Jaysus I rode just 10 miles in jeans and a tshirt the other day and that was bad enough.
    Just thinking about where the seams are on jeans is enough to make me wince. That said, when I was a teenager I cycled to college and back in jeans (5 miles each way).

I may have a few black/red/white castelli ensembles... and some white shoes* ;)

* mostly covered by booties, natch
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • il_principe
    Rich158 wrote:

Black/white Madone bib shorts (with a hint of red), matching short sleeved top, white helmet, Most Panther carbon shoes - black/white with a hint or red (Eat your heart out JB, they'd go very well with a Prince :wink: )

How you getting on with the Panthers? I would be tempted but I just know that Spesh shoes fit my large, wide perfectly!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Its my goal to be a bike ninja!

Some mornings I join the running ninjas on the South Bank..

At 6.30 on a winter morning, dressed in all black they appear from allys and stairwells and silently make their way eastward along the the river, communicating only though inperceptible nods of recognition.

When I'm on my bike my colours are more like pricilla: queen of the desert than ghostdog: way of the samuri.....

I'm going for a particular colour scheme (perhaps all black) with slight variations.

I'm thinking Batman.

it's just too easy sometimes

FoolsBatman-796658.jpg
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Rich158
    The MTB is another matter entirely, that's all about lifestyle. A laid back attitude with kit to match, and on no account should you look like you race.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Black White and Red Pinarello bike? Check
    Black White and Red Castelli lycra? Check
    Black White and Red Pinarello branded socks? Check
    Black White and Red Pinarello branded gloves? Check
    Black White and Red Pinarello branded cap? Check
    Black White and Red shoes? Check
    Black White and Red Pinarello branded bottle cages? Check
    White and Red sunglasses? Check
    Black White and Red armwarmers? Check
    Black White and Red wheels? Check
    Black White and Red helmet? Check.

Yep, I'm not a tart. I'm an über Tart, the Tartmeister if you like.

:oops:

The danger is you COULD look like your mum's got you ready.
    (I didn't say you do, just that you could :wink: )
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • Rich158
    Whose to say she hasn't, anyone that's that analy retentive about their colour co-ordination couldn't possibly be married and obviously still lives at home with their parents :wink::lol::lol::lol:

Revised FCN - 2
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    itboffin wrote:

I dont wear jeans, just shorts etc but not made for cycling. I rode forty miles in a pair of footy shorts and a chelsea top. Not sure if that is a proper ride or not though.
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Sewinman wrote:

I dont wear jeans, just shorts etc but not made for cycling. I rode forty miles in a pair of footy shorts and a chelsea top. Not sure if that is a proper ride or not though.

Ok, ok you win the bike tart competition :wink:
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • il_principe
    Rich158 wrote:
    Whose to say she hasn't, anyone that's that analy retentive about their colour co-ordination couldn't possibly be married and obviously still lives at home with their parents :wink::lol::lol::lol:

Well you're right on one count!

@ Sewinman - 40 miles without padded shorts? Chapeau!
  • DonDaddyD
    Sewinman wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Dude your nads must have been grounded into a fine dust. Unless you use a womans saddle and not one of those razor blade thin saddles. The thought of riding without a pad between my legs makes my eyes water.

Also football shirts suck the sweat from you like a vacuum cleaner. That shirt must have stunk!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Rich158
    I won't ask which one :wink:

And I bow to the master JB, I thought I was bad but you've outdone me :shock: even if I've still got the Most Panther panther shoes to perfectly set off your ensemble and complete your tartiness

I'm still searching for some white Trek socks - anyone?

@ sewinman - 40 miles in a Chelsea kit, you have taste sir

Revised FCN - 2
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Dude your nads must have been grounded into a fine dust. Unless you use a womans saddle and not one of those razor blade thin saddles. The thought of riding without a pad between my legs makes my eyes water.

Also football shirts suck the sweat from you like a vacuum cleaner. That shirt must have stunk!

Just got a standard cheapo Trek racing saddle. Having not had cycling shorts I suppose I don't know what I am missing. I am flush at the mo, so may see what all the fuss is about.
  • itboffin
    Apart from buying bikes to match my outfits I've just splash a load on matching carbon headset spacers and colour coordinated cable patches as well as chain stay protectors, saddles & bar tape.

Of course I also make sure that my cycling socks match the bike and tights in fact even my saddle bags match.

Today i broken my rear jockey wheel and whilst looking for replacement I came across those lovely CNC machined coloured beauties that WOULD def make my bike quicker, mmm red on the Trek and Black on the Dolan or perhaps white :shock:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Erm bottle cages too :oops:
  • il_principe
    I've got my eye on some Pinarello branded bottles at the moment!

In fact I may just order them now I've recovered from the shock of this mornings water bill (which has bumped my new bibshort purchase into May, grrrr).
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    edited March 2009
    Rich158 wrote:

How you getting on with the Panthers? I would be tempted but I just know that Spesh shoes fit my large, wide perfectly!

Panthers?!

sex_panther_anchorman.jpg

Now come on, I like my kit to look nice and I like a bit of colour coordination but I also don't like to go out looking like I've thought about it too much. You boys need to ask yourself some serious questions! Seperate helmets for seperate colour schemes!? Purlease!

Reading some of these posts makes me want to go back to basics like Sewinman so as to disassociate myself from you tarts.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Excellent thread, I love Feltup's comments about being left hooked! Thank god I wasn't in the office to read that one :lol:

I'm moving towards becoming a bike tart.......my current helmet not only matches the colour scheme of my bike (a rather popular black/white/red ensemble) it's also from the same company (Giant).

When it came time (or should I say the wife let me........) to get some new SPD's I obviously couldn't order anything but the white/red/black/silver ones. Having got them now they are rather bright, being mainly white, but it just means they stand out a bit and should make me nice and easy to ID if I'm spotted around town (they are DHB R1's btw, fab for such a cheap pair!)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Rich158
    itboffin wrote:
    Apart from buying bikes to match my outfits I've just splash a load on matching carbon headset spacers and colour coordinated cable patches as well as chain stay protectors, saddles & bar tape.

Of course I also make sure that my cycling socks match the bike and tights in fact even my saddle bags match.

Today i broken my rear jockey wheel and whilst looking for replacement I came across those lovely CNC machined coloured beauties that WOULD def make my bike quicker, mmm red on the Trek and Black on the Dolan or perhaps white :shock:

It's got to be white, then you get to clean them after every ride :wink: I've got white ceramic ones on my commuter and they're loads faster :roll:

+1 on the bottle cages. Try explaining to the other half why you've just spent £70 on carbon bottle cages to match the new carbon bike, and why they don't come with it, or with pedals for that matter, for that price :roll:

The carbon mini pump was adjudged a step too far (Wiggle were out of stock :twisted: )

Revised FCN - 2
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I am a complete and utter tart.....everything is co-ordinated for slouchiness.....

Cambridge Blue Fixie goes with Camo "Chrome" messenger bag - 3/4 Camo shorts, camo converse all star high tops, tee shirt with a pithy printo on it and my trustee Bell matt black lid...often seen in green and white rugby socks too.....

Boardman gets 3/4 dhb bib tights, PBK "World Champs" cycle jersey, PBK arm warmers and sidi shoes.

All matched to quality sunglasses......

*note, all my clothes were bought at bargain prices, so, in fact nothing matches anything and I look like a scruff bag when I am out.......part of my overall look.
  • DonDaddyD
    Sewinman wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Just got a standard cheapo Trek racing saddle. Having not had cycling shorts I suppose I don't know what I am missing. I am flush at the mo, so may see what all the fuss is about.

Are you Northern? I can only imagine a Northerner being able to withstand that amount of pain...
    Food Chain number = 4

• Rich158
    Rich158 wrote:

They're bastards, obviously not made for my wide flat feet :shock: they pinch a bit to start :cry: and after that dies down the uber rigid sole make the bottom of your feet ache like nothing else.

Not that I'd admit that to the other half, no love they're fantastic shoes, awsomely comfortable, the best birthday present I've ever had :roll:

The power transfer is fantastic though, and I'm hoping they stretch a bit, but in reality I'm glad they're just weekend shoes and I don't have to wear them every day.

Revised FCN - 2
  • Rich158
    OMG I sound just like my other half :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yes they hurt but they're shoes and they look nice :roll: :roll: :roll:

what have I become????????????????

Revised FCN - 2
  • itboffin
    Rich158 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

It's got to be white, then you get to clean them after every ride :wink: I've got white ceramic ones on my commuter and they're loads faster :roll:

+1 on the bottle cages. Try explaining to the other half why you've just spent £70 on carbon bottle cages to match the new carbon bike, and why they don't come with it, or with pedals for that matter, for that price :roll:

The carbon mini pump was adjudged a step too far (Wiggle were out of stock :twisted: )

Thanks I'll take that as permission to spend money I don't have on more shiney things, Mrs itboffin sort of stared in disbelief that I'd spent so much on so little!!! "but look they weight nothing" just didn't help :?
  • il_principe
    Rich158 wrote:
    OMG I sound just like my other half :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yes they hurt but they're shoes and they look nice :roll: :roll: :roll:

what have I become????????????????

:lol::lol:

Even I choose shoes on the basis of comfort and fit! I'll stick with the Spesh, but thanks for guinea pigging!