Cheshire Cat ride reports!

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    LPB,

will hijack the question.......I've only got the Polka dot and Mcr 100 planned as such (i.e paid for)......although looking at potentially doing the M'cr-Blackpool and also maybe the Rapha Condor ride from Blackpool into the lakes....

Ta for the reply; I'd be keen to know what others have got coming up in the next few months. It would be nice to do an event, (not to fall off before the start & begin late) and actually be able to chat to some of you ! I'm interested in events which are north of Birmingham and anywhere in Wales.
    I'm looking at doing the Wild Edric, there's an info leaflet in your goodie bag from the Cat. Looks fun.
  • My next events are:
    Lakeland Loop
    FOrest of Dean Classic
    Midland Mionster (Volunteer)
    Gran FOndo CYmru
    Bike Radar
    Dragon Ride
    White Rose Classic
    The Devil Ride
    Tour of the Balck Mountains
    Wild Edric
    Belach Mor
    Autumn Epic
    Exmoor Beast
    and maybe one for two more, see what i can fit in.
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    my events for next few months, in order -

Try and walk 100 yards
    Try and wear a shoe on right foot
    Reduce crutch use by 50%
    Sit on bike on turbo and spin with no resistance
    Walk without crutches
    Ride bike
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Good luck with that Napoleon - I know I took it a bit easier on the descents after your warnings ! I suspect otherwise a few of us may be 'resting'.
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    NapoleonD goals somehow seem far more important than anything I've got down :?

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Muddybird wrote '.....Surely we could all knock out fast times if we had 30 minutes to sit down here and there to recover? Where does it end - I've just completed a 100 mile ride in just over 5 hours - impressed? I did do it over 2 weeks - does that count?....'

Totally with her on this one. Due to the nature of sportives people aren't really bothered how long it takes you. In races if you stop for a pee you get dropped! The only person you need to convince is yourself when you look in the mirror, not tell everyone else so they might seem impressed.

I did 66 miles and thought it was a fantastic day with a fantastic route, much better than last year and will definitely be back next year. Enjoyed passing Cervelos on the hills on my Carrera bike and the site of that guy in full Rapha Condor team kit and bike walking up every slight incline was a joy to behold. Work on the engine not the chassis!
  • spanielsson
    spanielsson Posts: 776
    soulcrew35 wrote:
    the site of that guy in full Rapha Condor team kit and bike walking up every slight incline was a joy to behold. Work on the engine not the chassis!

What about all of the people pushing up the climbs wearing Assos?! Do they not deserve some kind of ridicule?!

Or is it only people that wear Rapha that can't ride bikes?!
  • imo,

if you are wearing a full racing team kit then you should at least be able to haul your ass up the hills...or indeed a full club kit.... :roll:

apart from that, what people wear is a personal matter of finances and comfort.....
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    What about all of the people pushing up the climbs wearing Assos?! Do they not deserve some kind of ridicule?!

My theory is that heavier people need better shorts/longs, so are more drawn towards Assos.
    I made it up Mow Cop, but had to walk a bit on the climb through the forest. 100kg at the moment.
    exercise.png
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    I may know what he means.
    There was a guy in full Rapha Condor team kit - jersey, shorts, gloves, shoecovers, the lot - going very slowly on the Spud Riley last year.

Now I have no objection to anyone wearing full team kit - be it Rapha Condor or Disco, CSC, etc, although I might object to LeakyGas or Saunier Duval or Lampre from a taste point-of-view - but it did make me smile as I went past him.

To be fair though, he had all-the-gear-and-at-least-some-idea, because he was doing the full route, so good for him !
    Better than some beer-bellied bloke wearing a footie shirt in a shopping mall...
  • spanielsson
    TheStone wrote:

My theory is that heavier people need better shorts/longs, so are more drawn towards Assos.
    I made it up Mow Cop, but had to walk a bit on the climb through the forest. 100kg at the moment.

You are missing my point. Assos costs as much if not more than Rapha kit, poking the guy because he buys the gear he wants as he is trying his best is not on.

To single him out (and chances are the particular man in question will read this) and nobody else that got off of their bikes shows how petty the comments are. The fact he wears Rapha has nothing to do with it.
  • Anonymous
    edited April 2009
    The mickey taking of people in Assos and Rapha gear on nice bikes is ridiculous!

People wear football shirts who haven't even run 10metres in 20 years let alone played for Manchester United.
    People wear Ferrari and Formula 1 caps but have never driven a Ferrari and have only watched formula 1 on telly.
    Yet, here we are poking fun at people who spend a bit of money who are actually out there doing it, cycling.

Who cares what fabulous kit someone else slower than you has got? At least they are out there riding and enjoying themsleves. If thats what they want to spend their money on, great! More money invested in cycling!

It just smacks of a hint of jealousy to me. If we could I'm sure we'd all be on top of the range bikes in our favourite cycling gear.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    That bloke with the 9 year old was in a Rapha gilet. Fair enough that he was walking with his kid though.

As far as I'm concerned - anyone can walk - no matter what kit they're in, I'm v happy to have riders crapper at hills than I am.

There was a lad who came past me in the Macc forest - nice black and red spesh I think. Backpack on, normal tee and baggy shorts - he was riding very well, and then I had to beat him to the top as he'd caught me on a lull, but good riding that lad.
  • dobbo75
    dobbo75 Posts: 23
    Now then Soulcrew,
    The fat lad with the Rapha kit was my good self. This was mt first ever sportive and I had only just bought the bike from E-bay. It came with a 39-23 gearing on it, but because it has Dura Ace I couldn't afford a new cassette!
    I was just turning up and having a go, it's people like you with your 'all knowing' comments that make me not want to bother next time.
    Even pushing up the hills with daft gears on I managed it in 5.03.
    Just because I was wearing a Rapha kit, doesn't give you the right to give me a slagging on this forum.
    Maybe you should think about supporting people pushing bikes up hills and not getting on your high horse as to what they were wearing.
    What did you have on some tatty old jersey so you could say thats why you didn't do well.
    Well done on the good time anyway, you must be the man!!!! :evil:
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    dobbo75 wrote:
    It came with a 39-23 gearing on it, but because it has Dura Ace I couldn't afford a new cassette!

As a complete aside to the main point, take a look at Ultegra or a SRAM rival/force cassettes. They can be used without any probs. I've fitted the rival 11-28 for little over 30 quid.

(don't mind spending money on the high end stuff, but cassettes at 200+ doesn't seem right!)
    exercise.png
  • dobbo75
    Cheers Mr Stone,
    As it was my first ever sportive, I didn't know how much I was going to need the lower gears (I know it was in the info), I wanted to give it a go incase I didn't need to spend the money.
    I now realise it was something that I really needed and have now fitted a 12-27 cassette and yes it it much easier.
    It just really bothers me that just because I get into cycling and get some nice christmas presents, it doesn't give dimwitts the right to give it the gob!
    Having only been cycling for a matter of months, I find you get some really nice, supportive cyclists and then there is all those that don't want to say hello because they are up their own........and think they own the road.
    I really enjoyed the Cheshire Cat and was proud of having a go, I have been on my bike every day this week as a result, but, reading some of these comments have resulted in my Rapha (sorry for having it) bike in the shed.
    I am doing some other sportives after completing this one, I think I will go in the buff, unless someone has a 'I'm crap at cycling' top I could use.
  • Anonymous
    Dobbo, don't get put off!

When I start back when my leg is healed I will be riding an expensive bike in full Assos regalia very slowly indeed. If people want to poke fun at me for being slow with expensive gear then that's up to them!

Just enjoy your riding.
  • spanielsson
    As napoleon said, it's jealousy.

I think the Rapha Condor bike looks awesome, something Id be very proud to own.

Don't give up, don't let the morons put you off.
  • Anonymous
    Rapha Condor bike? Nice! Doesn't deserve to be in the shed, get out and ride it at every opportunity, especially in this weather!

I'm desperate to get on my bike, feeling like this will make me savour every opportunity to ride when I'm sorted.
  • Marko1962
    Marko1962 Posts: 320
    TheStone wrote:
    As a complete aside to the main point, take a look at Ultegra or a SRAM rival/force cassettes. They can be used without any probs. I've fitted the rival 11-28 for little over 30 quid.

Where did you get it form at that price?
  • speedy641
    speedy641 Posts: 89
    Just like to offer a word of support here to dobbo75.......I have noticed this rather snide attitude to riders on nice bikes and good kit, I strongly suspect that those that dish this oneupmanship out actually are not overly self confident in their own cycling abilities. Why else would they poke fun at people who can't get up the hills quite as quickly as themselves?

I have infinately more respect for people like dobbo75, out there having a go, enjoying wearing their nice kit and riding their top bikes, sportives are great fun(I speak as one who rode the cheshire cat (in my Rapha sofshell and on my Condor bike), but they are not the bloody Tour de France. These 'cyclists' who poke phone at those pushing/riding slowly etc may like to have a go at a full on road race, where I strongly suspect they may not be quite so cocky.

Thankfully I think these attitudes are in the minority (though it irks me to see them expressed on this forum), certainly my experience on the day was one of mutual support in a shared challenge - well done to all who had a go at it.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Dobbo, give the Manchester 100 a go later in the year - yeh it's flat, but it was a great laugh last year..... all sorts of riders....all sorts of bikes. Me and another rider were making some serious progress towards the end of the race, me on my Dura Ace'd handbuilt 18 year old bling steel machine, the other guy on a new BMC with Record - we both spotted a fab Raleigh Record Ace, mint condition, all gold components - we both slowed and said what a fantastic bike.....

I've loved reading all these reports sounds great - I got RTA'ed in december and have a fubared shoulder, so 100 miles of climbing would probably put me in hospital at the moment. I commute 20 - 30 miles a day, but riding the road bikes for more than 90 minutes causes issues.

I'd have loved to do the Cat, and if lucky I might just get sorted by September for the Man 100, but it's looking likely that there is an operation some time to sort my shoulder..

Hope you are healing well Napoleon - you've become a bit of a legend - was talking to a guy at work and he'd heard a Macc Wheeler had come off at Lamaload - he's in one of the other Sth. Manc clubs....
  • Anonymous
    Cheers Fossyant! I may try for the Manc 100 myself :shock:
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Dobbo75 - don't let the d##kheads get to you - they are the reason so many cyclists ride solo!! Its about having a great day out in superb scenery.. I rode one ofthe big alpine sportives a few years ago and there was no snobbery - just support and afew laughs from people from all over europe wearing all sorts of kit and riding all sorts of bikes. The people who have to make the snide comments on fora about others giving something a go are really quite sad - these are sportives not races - they are challenges which are individual to the rider. Wear whatever - as long as you're riding your bike (or occasionally walking) its fine.
  • Dobbo75 i bet you looked mint in your kit, better than looking like a 20 stone bee!!

Wear your kit, ride your bike, its your mate. Your money, your kit, you do what you want and enjoy it.
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • I did see that Condor leaning against the fence at the start / End, I can't remember which. Seriously sweet piece of kit.

When I started riding I was 18 stone and had A Canondale Caad 5 Saeco replica. I used to ride with a bright red Saeco jacket on too. I couldn't care less what people thought. I was happy and enjoying myself. I am sure some people thought I looked like a wanna be.

It is the same with Rapha and Assos. If you can afford it and like it, then it us up to you. If you can't afford it, or don't like it, then there is no need to have a pop at people that can/do.

I will never be a great rider, but I am happy with what I can do. The thought of putting someone off the sport because of personal opinions about their kit is just insane. It is pure playground and has no place here.
  • dobbo75
    Hi, it's dobbo again!
    Thanks for the supportive messages, I have chilled out about it now.

Just an idea for all you 'traditionalists', why not make the change, leave the Pantani earing out this weekend.
    For this weekend, why not, instead of complaining on all the forums/weekly cycling magazines about newbie cyclists getting it all wrong, say hello!

We could call it 'Dobbo's say hello to a Newbie Weekender!!

Why not tell them how to ride in a group, not half wheel, adjust their saddle for a more comfortable ride, advise them on the correct gear ratio's, what to wear, stop their brake from making funny noises.....etc.
    How are we supposed to know if you lot don't tell us/write it in a magazine. There is some chap in the weekly cycling magazine banging on about it this week.

Anyway, i'm off to get in training for the Midland Monster, if you see me why not say hello this time and not be such a snob. I'll be the one on the Rapha bike.

Let me know how you get on this weekend, you never know you might make some new friends/training partners.
    If it's a success I may even bring out some bright yellow wristbands 'SAY NO TO SNOBBERY'. :wink:
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    Etiquette, unwritten rules, snobbery....whatever it's called, it's is part of cycling. I'm not saying it's right, but best to either ignore it, or see it for the comedy value it provides.

e.g. this article is quite funny.
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Shame this thread went a bit sideways.

It's also annoying that I've only just noticed that C+ had an article about "How to ride 100 miles" in it. I could have done with reading that before doing the full-fat Cheshire Cat :roll: Oh well, at least now I know where I went wrong, although I must agree with the observation that riding 100 miles with your mates is far easier than riding 100 miles on your own. I did the latter and it was very difficult to sustain motivation at some points (usually when having to dismount and walk up a hill).

Just invested in a new Dura-Ace 34/50 chainset and bottom bracket and will hopefully get these fitted soon. Need to be doing a lot more training as well and sort out a nasty problem with my neck that has appeared: on my right hand side a particular bit of my trapezious muscle seems to go into real spasm after a while making it massively painful to turn my head right when riding. Am off to see a physio about this as I don't like things going wrong with my neck... :?

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Ed_Bear
    Ed_Bear Posts: 5
    Hi, it's dobbo again!
    Thanks for the supportive messages, I have chilled out about it now.

Just an idea for all you 'traditionalists', why not make the change, leave the Pantani earing out this weekend.
    For this weekend, why not, instead of complaining on all the forums/weekly cycling magazines about newbie cyclists getting it all wrong, say hello!

We could call it 'Dobbo's say hello to a Newbie Weekender!!

Why not tell them how to ride in a group, not half wheel, adjust their saddle for a more comfortable ride, advise them on the correct gear ratio's, what to wear, stop their brake from making funny noises.....etc.
    How are we supposed to know if you lot don't tell us/write it in a magazine. There is some chap in the weekly cycling magazine banging on about it this week.

Anyway, i'm off to get in training for the Midland Monster, if you see me why not say hello this time and not be such a snob. I'll be the one on the Rapha bike.

Let me know how you get on this weekend, you never know you might make some new friends/training partners.
    If it's a success I may even bring out some bright yellow wristbands 'SAY NO TO SNOBBERY'.

Well said Dobbo! That sort of elitist cr*p soulcrew fella came out with really gets my goat.

Enjoy you riding.