Cheshire Cat ride reports!

Comments

• nottscobb
    nottscobb Posts: 147
    I was very grateful that the weather was as good as it was. I'd not done nearly as much riding as I'd like in the run up to this so the nice weather made motivation easier as I was tempted to switch down to the 67 miler when it looked like the weather was going to be bad. I had forgotten how long and tough some of the peak district climbs can be though so I was not only pleased to finish but I also made it up all the climbs too. Definitely given me the inspiration to get back into training so I can do better at other events over the summer.

Overall a very pleasent day out, organisation was very good. I got lost as I got back into Knutsford but I ended up on my own and was feeling mentally tired so must have missed one of the signs.
  • fosst
    fosst Posts: 45
    real mixed bag for me, most of the stand-out points seem to have been experienced by others judging by the posts.
    no success at all on the steep stuff though, i bought a triple for the occasion but i just couldn't turn it on the really nasty sections so i suppose i rode 102 miles and walked the other 3 if my computer is to be believed.
    weather turned out to be almost perfect, almost, couldn't feel my fingers for the first half hour. then warmed up and so did the speed, tagging on to a sucession of groups got to mow cop in no time at all. then it started to go wrong, i just couldn't believe that 30-25 wouldn't work for me. using the same or perhaps 30-23 on the other hills (and weren't there just some others) and i was going fine.
    caught me out did this particular cat.
  • JoeBH
    JoeBH Posts: 63
    More pics please.

I was going so slow he got two of me on Mow Cop.

Appear to be enjoying myself:

http://www.robcrayton.fotopic.net/p57194626.html

A few metres further up and not so much :lol:

http://www.robcrayton.fotopic.net/p57194256.html
  • athers08
    athers08 Posts: 22
    [url http://www.robcrayton.fotopic.net/p57194597.html[/url]

I almost look stationary, but I made it.
  • Well I thought the day went very well....

Weather was rather nippy to start as we all huddled like cattle waiting for the off...once going we managed to set a reasonalbe pace and got to the first feed in reasonalbe time. Having never ridden Mow Cop before I though it was a good climb, a bit steeper than I had seen on some videos before the "steep" 50 metres or so, but I managed to get up there and so have a medal for my effort.
    :)
    the section from there to Macc Forest was a joy to ride...lovely scenery, warming weather and plenty of undulating hills and some quiet roads.. :D:D

Having been on a recce ride in Feb including Macc Forest I was aware of what was ahead and as some of the posters here have mentioned, it was the climb that caught many out due to it not being hyped like Mow Cop or Swiss Hill, although the sheet ice on the new road surface at the steep section got my wheel spinning! however, managed to get up okay. :lol:

The section from there to Swiss Hill was good, once the descents were navigated with brakes on all the way down (riding with Dan who was with Alex when he crashed was also a good mental reminder!). then we managed to hit a steady pace with a few other riders, I'd guess about 20-22 mph.

Swiss Hill was my main challenge, as I've ridden it once before but on a MTB, and so i was slightly unsure about the gaps between the cobbles, and also the fact that on my previous run I'd stopped where it bends right thinking that was the end... :shock: however pleased with myself that i never had to put a foor down (although the same cant be said of my @rse as I toppled re-starting going up Macc Forest after a mechanical stop :oops: )

We decided to take the ride from alderley to Kutsford at a steadier pace, and not push ourselves and got round in 5 1/2 hours.

indeed, we make a conscious decision early on not to push the clock, and to take stops when we needed them (and Will needed one every 5 miles or so...you gotta work on that fella!!) and then Dan's chain snapping twice in 2 miles through Macc Forest reinforced that decision..so we enjoyed the sportive in its true sense..the scenery, the roads / climbs and challenges and the epxerience.

As a first one it was a very good day out...roll on the Spud in June :D
  • lastpubrunner
    lastpubrunner Posts: 108
    edited March 2009
    The Cheshire Cat – where do I begin ?

Even before the start, I didn’t have a good start to my day. That may sound daft and it was !!! I’m a recent convert to SPDs, previously having had toeclips. I was moving (very slowly) towards the holding zone before the start, when for reasons unknown, I totally lost control of the bike. I couldn’t seem to find my pedals or brakes. I veered to the left and fell (heavily) in a spectacular way – right in front of the assembled multitude. :oops:

I got up as nonchalantly as possible (I do this kind of thing every day); fortunately, apart from the ‘jarring’ effect of the fall, I seemed to get off scot free. Unlike the bike, however. The handlebars were skewed and the front wheel would not turn.

My adrenaline levels (already in turbo-mode) switched to hyper-drive. I took the bike to the mechanics; luckily, the front wheel was okay. But the impact of the fall had (badly) bent the front caliper mounting bolt.

This was a worry, because the bolt is built in to the caliper. Eventually, the mechanic hit upon the idea of putting the calipers back on the bike, and using (considerable) leverage, managed to bend the bolt back so that it was pretty much straight. PHEW !!!! It looked like I’d be able to start, albeit, half an hour later than I’d hoped. On reflection, if I’d had a more modern carbon fibre bike, I might not have got off so lightly.

I set off at about 9.20am – one of the last groups to leave. I was very quickly dropped by all the others. Before the race, I’d been given the advice about ‘slip-streaming’ other riders – “can save you 20% energy” etc. The reality was that I spent most of the race in splendid isolation.

I seemed to be cycling into a headwind, but I managed the first 50 miles in exactly 3 hours. Although I felt fine, I should (with hindsight and my new-found knowledge and experience) have gone slower. I was pleased to actually catch and overtake some riders – only to find that they were doing an audax. :)

My scariest moment came on a descent near Audlem :shock: ; I came downhill and round a slight bend at about 30mph, only to see an (aluminium – I think) bike pump lying horizontally across my path. I just missed hitting it. For a fraction of a second, I considered retrieving it, to replace my c.1973 Milk Race pump.

Just before the 2nd feed station, I was momentarily confused :? ; because some riders were turning right to go directly to Mow Cop. (Did the 102 miles include the trip to the feedstation ?) I went to the 2nd (excellent) feedstation, had a wander around the pub and a doughnut or two.

I set off to Mow Cop at a very easy pace; the first part of the climb didn’t seem too bad. Sadly, past the pub and close to the top of the steep bit, I could not push the gears . . . . . so I walked. Sadly :( , I don’t appear to be on any of the Mow Cop photos, I think that the photographer had gone home by them; are you on any of the whyamihere ? (Just noticed that there are 784 images on the photographers website - looks liked I've missed out on a photo) :cry: .

It was at this point that I met from this forum ‘whyamihere’. We chatted at various points of the course. I couldn’t help but notice that he seemed to be horribly fit and a lot younger and lighter (like most of the cyclists) than myself. At one point, he seemed to be finding it so easy that I asked him if he was breathing.

I struggled on some of the climbs before the 3rd feedstop – The Lamb pub. I had a few mini Swiss rolls and chatted to my brother who came to watch. Warned by my brother and messages left by Andy_wrx on this forum, I was very cautious going up the Macc Forest climb; again, I had to walk the last bit. In fact, there seemed to be more walking than cycling by most cyclists.

I walked again on the steep bit, just before the final approach to the Macc. to Buxton road. I’d now done about 80 miles and was beginning feel it.

Not relishing my task, I reluctantly approached Swiss hill. After a token effort, I walked. I was a bit disappointed with Swiss Hill – a bit over-hyped I think. Like Popette, I was keen to get under 8 hours for 102 miles – which I did !!!. Unfortunately, I seemed to be some distance from Knutsford. Keen to finish, I ‘put my foot down’ and totally missed a turning; I went about 1.5 miles before I realised. I turned and finished in 8hr 20mins for a total distance of 108.5 miles. (probably about 7hrs 50 mins if I discount the time taken for the feedstations and ‘comfort’ stops.) Even if I hadn’t gone wrong, I think that I would have done a good 105 miles.

I feel pretty good today. Very slightly saddlesore – my Brooks saddle turned out to be fine. Some on this forum had very tactfully suggested that I might be better off with the 66 miler – how right you were !!!

Towards the end of the ride, I vowed never again ! But not having trained, it wasn’t going to be easy. I’m already beginning to consider the possibility of losing weight and (shock horror!) actually starting to do some training !! – Crazy impulsive fool that I am !

I must say that I am very impressed with the camaraderie that I’ve experienced both on this forum and on the ride itself – to such an extent that I’m sure that I’ll be back next year, which will be the year when I hit the big 5 zero :shock: .

Am I the only one that felt underwhelmed by the ‘goody’ bag. I wasn’t impressed by the ‘multifunctional headwear’ but at least my missus likes it and she is a keen cyclist.

After the Cheshire Cat, I think that it would be prudent for me to put future events ‘on hold’ – I really must start to do some kind of training !!!!! I believe that I probably had the oldest bike on the event; it went well. I don't think that I'd have been much quicker on any bike; as the saying goes, "It is what is in the legs that counts".

If anyone know of any flattish events, preferably 100k (but 100 milers considered), I’d be pleased to know about them !

Well done all !!!
  • lastpubrunner,

not sure where oyu are based, but there is a Manchester100 in September, and in July there is the M'cr to Blackpool rides...both a lot flatter than yesterday....

http://www.bike-events.com/
  • If anyone know of any flattish events, preferably 100k (but 100 milers considered), I’d be pleased to know about them !
    The Manchester 100 would be a good one. Lovely flat 100 miles through Cheshire. Early Sept, I think.
  • We decided to take the ride from alderley to Kutsford at a steadier pace, and not push ourselves and got round in 5 1/2 hours.
    :D

Utmost respect for doing a time like that; I'm not sure that I could drive round as fast !!!
  • lastpubrunner,

not sure where oyu are based, but there is a Manchester100 in September, and in July there is the M'cr to Blackpool rides...both a lot flatter than yesterday....

http://www.bike-events.com/

I live in North Shropshire - very close to the border with Wales. My house is 50 yards from the Offa's Dyke path. Anything in Shropshire/Cheshire/Lancashire is fine.

Ta for the suggestions !

• Utmost respect for doing a time like that; I'm not sure that I could drive round as fast !!!

we did the 66 mile option, not the 102...so repsect to you for getting round. That was total time, I think Dan & Will had the ride time around 4hr 30 or so....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    We decided to take the ride from alderley to Kutsford at a steadier pace, and not push ourselves and got round in 5 1/2 hours.

Utmost respect for doing a time like that; I'm not sure that I could drive round as fast !!!

Heh heh, don't forget that was for the 66 miler, still, a good time though!
  • spanielsson
    spanielsson Posts: 776
    NapoleonD wrote:

Heh heh, don't forget that was for the 66 miler, still, a good time though!

Things will be different next year, 102 mile route and another riding partner :)
  • Does anyone know the total climb for the 102 miler ? (Much the same for the 66 miler I'd imagine).
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    I got 7623ft for the 105 from my garmin.
  • MuddyBird
    MuddyBird Posts: 14
    Not used to this total time/ride time thing being from a running background. Is it usual??? I'm sure they didn't stop the clock when Paula had to nip off for a number 2!!
    Surely we could all knock out fast times if we had 30 minutes to sit down here and there to recover? Where does it end - I've just completed a 100 mile ride in just over 5 hours - impressed? I did do it over 2 weeks - does that count?

Sorry about the minor rant folks but I feel rather cheated having rushed in and out of both feed stations so as not to lose too much time on the clock only to find out people were hanging around having 'coffee monings' and knocking this off their ride times as if it never happened.

Next time - make mine a cappuccino!!

Fantastic day though - well done Kilotogo - and congratulations to all finishers however you choose to interpret your time!
  • My first ever Sportive! Done!
    Enjoyed it hugely, only walked the 50m past the pub on mow, but then had to trudge up Macc forest for about 100-150m or so, got off just before the black ice patches, so got most of it dealt with. Plenty of positive comments from fellow sufferers - though I don't look like a cyclist I think most people appreciated the sheer effort and will it takes to haul 110k up a 20% ribbon of tar! :oops:
    Said a quick hi to Howie just before Mow cop, and tried (in vain) to tag onto the back of Popette's group about two miles short of the 102/67 split. I was VERY careful not to blow out too much before it got hilly.
    Managed 5:57 if memory serves me correct, computer gave riding time of 5:20, so need to sort out quicker stops (as well as the diet and the generally being fitter) before hitting the 100 miler next year. Glad I had the bar bag, meant I was able to start off with three layers and shed one at each feed stop, as well as not having super heated flapjacks disolving over my lower back!
    If I can feel the pain in my arse, I mustn't be hurting my legs enough.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Muddybird - you're missing the point - these arent races. If you want races - then do that. Try a bunched road race, or a time trial.

If you want to dash in and out of feedstations - the only person it matters to is yourself.

TBH - I dont think rest on something like this gives you much of an advantage - when your legs are gone - they're gone. You need a hell of a lot of rest to ride 100m+ entorely on fresh legs.
  • Muddy,

We stopped for about 5 mins at the 2 feed stations and had 2 snapped chains hence the difference.....but rather that than missing a stop and bonking 10 miles later - not enjoyable.

However, well done on your time....

Also we chose to ride as a trio as opposed to leaving each other so went at the pace of the slowest (which was me going up!)
  • lastpubrunner
    lastpubrunner Posts: 108
    edited March 2009
    MuddyBird wrote:
    Sorry about the minor rant folks but I feel rather cheated having rushed in and out of both feed stations so as not to lose too much time on the clock only to find out people were hanging around having 'coffee monings' and knocking this off their ride times as if it never happened.

There were 3 feed stations on the 102 miler (105); some did miss the 2nd feed station, thereby doing about 2 miles less than those who did stop.
  • MuddyBird
    MuddyBird Posts: 14
    Cougie - I couldn't agree with you more. That's entirely the point I was trying to make (all be it in a lighthearted fashion).

My challenge was an entirely personal one as I believe so should everyone's.

I've turned to this sort of event to ge away from the competitive element so am more than mildly amused when peope are banging on about 'total times' and 'actual ride times' as if to make excuses for themselves. There's nothing to be embarrassed about!
  • cougie
    Well done LPR on an amazing ride. I've only now looked at the profile, and its a bloody hilly ride ! Mind you - the medium ride is even worse in terms of meters per mile climbed !
  • Sorry about the minor rant folks but I feel rather cheated having rushed in and out of both feed stations so as not to lose too much time on the clock only to find out people were hanging around having 'coffee monings' and knocking this off their ride times as if it never happened.
    with you on this one although 'cheated' is a bit strong.
    The time from crossing the start mat to crossing the finish mat is the time you did for the sportive. Whether it's a race or a leisurely bimble, you know how long it was between those two moments and no amount of 'ah, but I stopped to do some Sudoku at the top of Mow Cop' changes the fact that you got back to the HQ x hours after you left it...
    Still - because it's not a race, it's up to the individual really. If you want to know how you did overall compared to everyone else, just look at the official times (when they are eventually up). Personally I wanted to do yesterday without stopping (I did have one pee) but if lots of rests means people get out on their bikes then fine...
  • In response to an earlier point or two about the organisation of the event - some hot food at the end would have been great, also, describing a plastic bag with flyers for future sportives as a 'goodie bag' is a bit of an exageration i feel! Is an energy bar/certificate or similar too much to look forward to??

However, fabulous event with good, well stocked feed stations (apart from the lack of toilets at the first, 66mile route option, pub) Cannot recall any signage missing, maybe two/three could have been a little earlier, but thatis reasonable.
    If I can feel the pain in my arse, I mustn't be hurting my legs enough.
  • cougie
    Thoughtful of some riders to leave a little trail of gel wrappers along the road so you could check that you were on track between signs too :twisted: :evil:
  • Marko1962
    Marko1962 Posts: 320
    edited March 2009
    Lastpubrunner, you mentioned not being photographed, well keep an eye out at http://www.philoconnor.com/sportivephoto.htm , Apparently there was over 8000 photos taken at the Cheshire Cat. I wasn't shot either over at Rob Crayton photography either so was a little disappointed at not having a memento for my first ever sportive, still at least we got a goodie bag full of advertising leaflets and a buff like thing to remember it by :roll:
  • Thoughtful of some riders to leave a little trail of gel wrappers along the road so you could check that you were on track between signs too
    grrrr...swines. Hated seeing that. Having said that, I didn't stop each time to pick them up and perhaps as one big 'family' perhaps we should take care of our 'own' mess rather than leaving it for local residents etc? Far easier to just put them back in your pocket, however...

What's this 'tacking' all about that some people were adopting on Mow Cop and Macc Forest? It might lessen the gradient but surely it just makes the pain last a whole lot longer. Oh, and it's really fecking annoying if you don't check behind you before you swing 90 degrees across the road when someone's coming straight up the hill ;)

Oh - one other thing. White jersey, black bib shorts. Bib over top of jersey. you know who you are. More a crime against humanity than a crime against fashion, that one. :)
  • Elganesh
    Elganesh Posts: 143
    For those of you who have never seen me and wonder why I carp on about my crappy helmet, here it is in all its Asda UFO glory.

http://www.robcrayton.fotopic.net/p57194268.html

Oddly my face doesn't show how much pain I'm in. I must learn to externalise my emotions more!
    FCN = 4.5 Roadie, hairy legs, half a beard (say goateeeeee!)
  • that's ace. Looks like it should make toasted sandwiches when it's not keeping your swede safe.
  • cougie
    Tee hee hee ! Very good.

No pics of me - clearly I was too fast for a normal shutter to catch me.....

(or too slow) :oops: