Cheshire Cat ride reports!

Comments

• WOO HOOO

I had set a time for sub 7 hours, and had clocked 7:09 yesterday. Now the OFFICIAL results show a 6:58:27. YESSSSS
    I am pleased now.
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • pugwashcp
    pugwashcp Posts: 120
    I'm there but I'm still listed as doing the 66 miler. Which is bloody annoying when they had the cheek to charge me an extra £13 to change to the 102 mile route when I signed on. :x

As far as I can see all they've done is pocketed the money and waved me on my way. I should have kept my mouth shut and ridden the long route anyway. It would seem that's exactly what plenty of others did on the day.

Rant over.
    He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    edited March 2009
    pugwashcp wrote:
    I'm there but I'm still listed as doing the 66 miler. Which is bloody annoying when they had the cheek to charge me an extra £13 to change to the 102 mile route when I signed on. :x

As far as I can see all they've done is pocketed the money and waved me on my way. I should have kept my mouth shut and ridden the long route anyway. It would seem that's exactly what plenty of others did on the day.

Rant over.

I know 3 people who did that because they didn't see the signs for the short route (got to say, I didn't see a short route signposted either but I guess it must have been there) and just got swept along onto the long route, realising their mistake when it was too late to get back onto the short course.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I thought the medium and long routes were the same entry fee ? It was only the short one that was cheaper ?
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    popette wrote:
    pugwashcp wrote:

Rant over.

I know 3 people who did that because they didn't see the signs for the short route (got to say, I didn't see a short route signposted either but I guess it must have been there) and just got swept along onto the long route, realising their mistake when it was too late to get back onto the short course.

Yep, I was one of those. I gather it was somewhere in Middlewich but damned if I saw it.

I did see you Popette, but I was hanging on the back of a fast paced group somewhere between Nantwich and the feed stop at the Blue Bell, so sorry I didn't say hi.

Also, I think I saw howiejmidlands as I was dropping down into Bollington but I went past trying to catch my club mates after getting dropped up Dead Mans Hill, so sorry to you too for not saying hi.

Not very polite me am I? :oops:
  • pugwashcp
    Medium and long both had the same initial entry price but to change between the two on the day cost me £13. I assumed this was to cover the cost of changing my details on the computer system at short notice and to pay for my sausage rolls at the last feed stop.

It would appear it was just for the sausage rolls.......in which case I paid £6.50 each for two of Tesco's own. :?
  • jthef
    jthef Posts: 226
    Where the 66 and 102 milers split were at a round about about 300 yards after a left hand turn. I think there was some sort of large shop on the far side of the round about. The 66 went left and the 102 when right. I did not see any signs for the split but luckly stopped to take a jacket off so looked at the garmin instead of following the majorty. Also there where a couple of the support bike parked up on the other side of the road.
    Close one as I don't think I could of done the 102 :(
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Can't even be the sausage rolls, as the 66 miler stopped there as well. It was just the first stop on the 102 miler that was for the 102 mile route, and they didn't have sausage rolls IIRC.

I must admit, it is a bit of a cheek charging £13 just to amend some details, I would have just rode the long route TBH, I mean £13 id half the entry fee again, and at £28 it isn't one of the cheaper sportives, combined with a lack of food at the finish, it certainly doesn't make it a value for money day out.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Looking through the results I ended up in the top 80-95 riders (approx) in the 66 miler (out of 700 - ish riders in total who did the 66?) - a reasonable days climbing - still puzzled why so many big blokes with all the bikes, all the gear, all the muscle, where walking up........all the (steep) hills - it seems that many peeps turned up on doubles ?? - everyone knew in advance that we'd be going up 20 % gradients, but not enough seemed to be on Compacts - bit of a wasted ride.
  • Mettan
    Marko1962 wrote:
    Mettan wrote:
    Marko1962 wrote:
    The route signs were mostly OK except for the first right hand turn off the first main road we came too, didn't see it...

Marko - was that the Smithy Green/Lower Peoover turnoff near the start of the ride?

Yes I'm pretty certain that was the one, the right hand turn on the A50 Toft road for the B5081. I was expecting the turn but didn't see any sign at all, not saying it wasnt there just that I didn't see it. I did see another rider in front of me go straight past the turn before being called back so perhaps there was a problem with the sign, it either wasn't there or badly placed.

Yep, that was it - Our group didn't see it either - ended up doing extra miles to-ing and-frowing backwards and forwards around Holmes Chapel.
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Why a wasted ride - walking a couple of hundred yards is hardly a huge issue is it - not everyone is aiming for a top 100 finish, many are riding for fun and to see where they are in terms of fitness. (In my case not exactly where I want to be). To me the disparaging nature of Mattan's comments is a little insulting. Are " big blokes" not allowed bikes in your world?
  • Mettan
    pdstsp wrote:
    Why a wasted ride - walking a couple of hundred yards is hardly a huge issue is it - not everyone is aiming for a top 100 finish, many are riding for fun and to see where they are in terms of fitness. (In my case not exactly where I want to be). To me the disparaging nature of Mattan's comments is a little insulting. Are " big blokes" not allowed bikes in your world?

Not meant to be insulting - just genuinely puzzled why so many more powerful looking riders seemed to be overgeared??
  • Mettan, i am one of your big blokes. I have all the kit. I even have a coach!
    And i walked, and i can tell you why. Its all about mass. Its about Heart Rate. Its about Lactate.
    Believe me, when you HR is in Zone 3 (95% of max), your legs are screaming to stop, you cant breathe, the only option is to stop. Or would you like us to have a coronary at the side of the road?
    Once you have stopped you can try and get going again, or you walk.
    I will never be in the top 100 finishers, i dont care. I set a goal of 7 hours, and i beat it just.
    Does that make my effort and greater or worse than one of skinny blokes on a crap old bike?
  • thetrotter
    thetrotter Posts: 258
    cacbyname wrote:
    Managed to get round in just over 6 hours, maybe could have just crept under on another day but my legs weren't on my side after Alderley Edge.

That is one mightily impressive time after your broken ankle. You needed our two up time trial routine over the last few miles 8) Rather hoping I would see you at one of the feeds so you could tow me up the hills.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I would say 10 out of 10 for all those that tried, I must admit I didn't feel the need to walk, though a couple of the hills were very tough. Some people might not be as fit or as strong as a rider that can do it non-stop or without walking. If they have to walk up very steep parts of a hill, then so be it, at least they tried.

I could say a reasonable fit rider only doing the 66 mile was a waste, considering the 102 mile ride was the same price, but again that is not a fair comment, as some fit riders might never had done that sort of mileage.

I would say well done to everyone that tried and got around, whether they did the 66m or the 102m, and whether they walked the steep hills or not. Some people will have purchased a bike with a double fitted, and might not have the money (or want to spend out) for a compact chainset. Likewise I have a compact fitted, and will only change to a double when the chainset needs replacing. It is a bit disparaging to those that had to walk, especially as some of them did the 102m as well. 50m before Mow Cop, is a bit different to 10m before it.
  • Mettan
    Mettan, i am one of your big blokes. I have all the kit. I even have a coach!
    And i walked, and i can tell you why. Its all about mass. Its about Heart Rate. Its about Lactate.
    Believe me, when you HR is in Zone 3 (95% of max), your legs are screaming to stop, you cant breathe, the only option is to stop. Or would you like us to have a coronary at the side of the road?
    Once you have stopped you can try and get going again, or you walk.
    I will never be in the top 100 finishers, i dont care. I set a goal of 7 hours, and i beat it just.
    Does that make my effort and greater or worse than one of skinny blokes on a crap old bike?

See comment above Howie - genuinely puzzled why so many guys seemed to be overgeared for an event with 20% gradients in it - not meant to be insulting.......
  • Mettan

OK i just read it in that way.

Neck duly wound back in.
  • pdstsp
    Just as a little aside - did I imagine a photographer on one of the decents (can't remember which one :oops: ) - I have vague recollection of descending and noticing a guy with a camera at the side of the road taking my picture - If he was real and not a figment of my knackered imagination who was he and where are the piccies - I want to see one of me not yomping!!
  • I think you will find it was this chap.

http://www.philoconnor.com/sportivephoto.htm

He was lurking on one of the faster descents, hope he had a quick shutter speed.
  • Mettan
    Mettan

OK i just read it in that way.

Neck duly wound back in.

No problems, mate - I must be letting all those forum comments from peeps on Doubles, skitting at peeps on Compacts, get to me :)
  • DomPro
    DomPro Posts: 321
    This ride reports make great reading. Now I can't wait to do my first sportive on the Castle 100 this May.

I'm a bit surprised by all the broken chains though, what are you guys doing to them!?
    Shazam !!
  • pdstsp
    Howie - thanks for the link

Paul
  • Mettan
    SBezza wrote:
    I would say well done to everyone that tried and got around, whether they did the 66m or the 102m, and whether they walked the steep hills or not. Some people will have purchased a bike with a double fitted, and might not have the money (or want to spend out) for a compact chainset. Likewise I have a compact fitted, and will only change to a double when the chainset needs replacing. It is a bit disparaging to those that had to walk, especially as some of them did the 102m as well. 50m before Mow Cop, is a bit different to 10m before it.

Some good points there - To be fair, in essence, I'm refering to a fairly innocuous observation (IMHO) - and the observation was: on the 66 miler (and only the 66 miler) I saw quite alot of 13-14.5 stone fit/powerful looking riders who were walking in places were I (atleast) didn't expect - just, genuinely suprised - certainly not trying to criticise effort levels or anything else - just suprised (again and again) throughout the ride seeing so many "powerfully built" guys walking. They seemed to be too overgeared for a ride that was well known for 15-25 % gradients? - not that there's an inherent problem there (plenty of reasons - just a bit suprised at the time, that's all). In general, regards effort levels and "taking part" etc, I 100% congratulate everyone who took part - it was good to see everyone enjoying themselves, taking part and keeping fit - and with that in mind, I'll be doing the Manchester 100 (again) for Christie's this year - enjoyed the ride last year. Raises money for a good cause, (and we get to do a fairly flat 100 miler) which is nice - would recommend it, if anyone hasn't done it before.

(My last post in this thread).
  • Marko1962
    Marko1962 Posts: 320
    edited March 2009
    Mettan, I understood what you meant in your initial comment regarding big blokes, you only meant powerful looking individuals who looked like they could tackle Everest and nothing more than that.

Howie, I was the bloke who said Hi to you as you were unloading your bike of your car :)
  • Hi Marko

I do remember, nice of you to say hi. There were quite a few people that said hello to me and Popette, thanks to all, even if sometimes i couldnt respond as i was only just managing to breathe.
    Cheers
  • pugwashcp
    If I remember correctly there was a photographer at the top of the descent down to the reservoir (Lamaload descent?) taking shots of the riders as they passed.

I'm hoping they have one of me and that the same guys have the shots from Swiss Hill. The only photo of me on Mow Cop is a group shot and I'm at the very front but out of focus.....maybe I was going to fast up the cop for his shutter speed!! :wink:
  • fosst
    fosst Posts: 45
    just to carry on with Mettan's comments..
    I would probably pass as one of his "big" blokes, unfortunately all the upper body mass and buggered knee from playing rugby doesn't help so much on Mow Cop. I do understand his point though, my excuse is that I thought I had prepared properly and went and got a triple just for the occaision but I was caught out by what 20 odd % actually means when you're out there. (not too much around here to compare to those gradients) Never mind, I now know what to do and have a plan already.
    The thing is I can climb, usually get into a decent cadence and away it goes, but the hills and mountains I have been on just didn't have such steep gradients and I simply couldn't turn the rpm I am used to without the feeling that my heart was going to burst. Turning the cranks at 40 rpm or whatever is a bit alien to me and that's part of the plan from here on.

All the above bo11ocks to be taken with a 7:49 102 finish-sized pinch of salt.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    [quote="Mettan"

See comment above Howie - genuinely puzzled why so many guys seemed to be overgeared for an event with 20% gradients in it - not meant to be insulting.......[/quote]

I only walked for a tiny bit on Mow Cop - for some reason my legs didnt want to do it all in one go. Last year I was fine on 39*23 and this year I had a 27 on - so a bit baffling to me.

I wouldnt go buying a compact set up for just one sportive ride in a year though. Hell - look at the pros - sometimes even they get caught out with their gears, and they dont pay or have to fit it even.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    edited March 2009
    Did the 66 mile, my first UK sportive, and really enjoyed the ride. Generally good organisation during the ride (and agree that post-ride food and drink could be improved), beautiful scenery, well picked quiet roads, and great friendly atmosphere all around. And of course the marvellous sunny weather (was a bit scared when driving to Knutsford it was -7 on Snake pass!), and the patches of snow at some of the higher up places definitely added something extra.

Swiss Hill definitely gets my vote for toughest climb of the route, especially with the surprise extra stretch around the corner when you think you're done.
    After all the hype Mow Cop wasn't too bad; the 25% bit is very short and you can see it coming. In fact, I found the steep section at the bottom just after the right-left corners tougher, a shock to the system after many miles of flat road.
    Macclesfield Forest and Wincle were good hard climbs, through great scenery, but not tougher than many others in the Peaks. What I found at least as tough mentally was the fact that the 'flat' section after Bollington back to Knutsford was in fact pretty rolling hilly terrain, while I expected it to be as flat as the first 20 miles.

I got round in 4:08, happy with that, felt like I could pace myself OK over 66 miles, and am looking forward to a 100 miler further in the year.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I can and have done mow cop on a 39-27 although it's much easier on my lighter bike with a 34-26 :)

However, at the moment I would be happy to be able to walk up it!