Ride Reports

Comments

• always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Look out, there are Llamas.

Llamas are bigger than frogs.
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    Popped up to the LBS to check on when my bike might be delivered. They promise "next week". Then they do something very dangerous....
    They wheel out the demo bike, a Wilier Le Roi with Record and Racing Zero wheels and say "here, have this till your bike arrives".
    Fair to say that changed my plans for the rest of the day.

They gave me my new shoes and put my new pedals on the Le Roi (upgraded the pedals too, which was nice) and sent me off with it in the car. After the trip to the supermarket that had to be done I put the cleats on the shoes, had a quick look at how these Keo pedals work and a practise at clipping in and out before heading around one of the local loops. I did pick the one that passes work a couple of times in case anything was to go wrong here.

It didn't though. After a bit of clipping in (fun on the little rise right outside the flat) and some arm flapping at the twit who passed me far too close all of 25 feet from a red light, which I happily pulled in front of (twit, not light), I was away. First impression was that someone had gone around Hampshire resurfacing the roads overnight! Smooth barely covers it. The next thing that hits you is that this bike is really a steam train in an amazing disguise. It just plows on on the flat. Sure I have to turn the pedals an all, but it just seems like there isn't the smallest drop in momentum. Thing is, I'd never really noticed that the other bike wasn't a steam train.
    The next thing I noticed, hills are still hills, you still need to put the effort in on them. I guess that never goes away, though this things lack of weight mixed with it's frictionless running and the way it smooths out dodgy tarmac must be helping.
    I did contemplate wandering off to try some new roads before Mr. Sensible pointed out that this bike didn't really fit me (1 size too large) and there were about a thousand things that could go wrong here, at which point I didn't want to be somewhere too unknown, so I turned back to the loop. It's a hilly loop, mostly short sharp ups followed by short sharp downs. Funny how those kill you. They also mean a ton of shifting both up front and at the back. Now, the Record stuff was lovely, worked perfectly, and is nicer than the Xenon I'd been using, but to be honest, I think I somehow expected more. It is definitely better, it just didn't seem enough to justify the cost somehow.

Once I'd topped the last hill, about 4km from home, and was done with the headwind, I really put the hammer down. It just flew. I had no idea I could go that fast, it was such a cool feeling.

At the start I was wondering if we hadn't got it wrong with the sizing of the Mortirolo, I knew this frame was larger but it felt fine. 30 miles later and my back was happy to tell me this wasn't the right size for me. Just that bit too much reaching. The new shoes on the other hand, were perfect. Not a pinch or restriction all ride, I could even walk in them after a fashion. The paint scheme, last years Lampre colours, is the same as the Mortirolo will have and, to my eyes at least, looks even better than I thought it would, which makes me very happy.
    I still want my bike, I'm just happy to wait a few days now...
    :)
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    If you see one near where there are people swimming, shout, "Look out, there are Llamas."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    i'll try and remember :roll:

and now to turn a 20 mile ride to the in-laws for dinner into a 50 miles hill session, more later......
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    It was the first ride of the Southern Sportive series this morning.

Getting up at 6 :shock: I couldn't decide if I realy felt up for it not, but decided to go anyway :lol: Good job too as it was an excellent ride. From the start I teamed up with two guys, one a triathlon nut whose name I didn't get, and George, a South African who started riding as a sponsored amateur in SA 27 years ago :shock: Alonside these two I felt the baby of the group with my total of 1 year on a road bike :cry:

We had 78 miles of glorious weather, beautiful countryside, and great riding. Some great descents saw me hitting my new highest speed of 51mph,, which felt fantastic if a little scary :oops:

So 78 miles in 4:02 at an average of 19.3mph, with 4880ft of ascent, an average heart rate of 142 and an average cadence of 82 show it wasn't really taxing either. In fact it didn't feel like a particularly long ride at all, what the hell is hapening to me :shock:

The icing on the cake was George tellling me to start racing. Bearing in mind he used to race pro races in SA, I take this as a huge compliment, now where did I hide that preliminary racing license :roll:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Top top work Rich, makes me feel less pleased with my solo effort!

Moving Time: 4:14:30
    Distance (mi ) 80.89
    Moving Speed (mph) 19.1 avg.
    Elevation Gain (ft) +3,468 / -3,467
    Avg. Heart Rate 133 bpm

What a great day to be out on the bike, apart from the headwind! Not sure about the loop I tried today, though, too much time spent in Suburbia!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Nice one, Rich. Great day for a ride.

Give racing a shot! :D
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165

Distance (mi ) 80.89
    Avg. Heart Rate 133 bpm

What a great day to be out on the bike, apart from the headwind! Not sure about the loop I tried today, though, too much time spent in Suburbia!

where did you go?

i co sherperded a slow/beginner club run, lovely day for it, though as you'd imagine a fairly relaxed speed.
  • itboffin
    ugh! what a total bummer, I got myself kitted out shorts & jersey bike ready with minimal spares and one bottle of water, started off nice and easy in fact it was beginning to feel like one of those "no chain" rides then it started :evil:

click, click, click coming from the headset area perhaps the stem or even the handlebars :evil:

arrrrrrrrrr!!!! I tried my best to ignore it but eventually I had to stop and start tightening then loosening bolts in turn, nothing I did made any difference, it totally spoilt my ride and eventually I gave in and pootled to my destination, what a pisser esp. as it was one of those no effort rides until the dreaded clicking started.

Of course when I arrived at my destination it stopped and now I can't make it happen by just cycling up and down the road :evil:

Back to the ride itself once again I managed the first big hill with good speed and plenty of gears free only to be greeted at the top by a bunch of idiots standing in the road facing the wrong way talk to each other :evil: then they seemed surprised that I wasn't happy at having to stop and wait for them to realise. Once past I spotted a lone cyclist heading towards me and suddenly felt the urge to lay down a strip awesome speed :roll:

A quick shoulder check confirmed that he was indeed heading my way but rapidly disappearing unlike my clicking bike :evil:

Passing by Thruxton the sound of the British touring car race was deafening glad I don't live near there.

click click click oh FFS arggh!!! I was just about the throw the bloody thing in the hedge and walk the rest of the way when I spotted a recumbent coming my way, those things are just weird and the pilot looked bored :lol:

moving on clicky click more stops to adjust screws and swear more at the bike I finally give in and take the short cut across Porton Down MOD camp, then a complete moron driver overtakes me on this private road (limit 30 mph) and slows down braking hard right in front, then sped off, what a star! the red mist descended and I gave chase up to 36 mph on the flat :twisted: and held about 50 yards behind for the rest of the road i'm guessing this is why my HRM registered a high of 234bpm :shock:

Most likely caused by the chest strap/sensor being so close to the unit as I tucked in low, I hope.

Not the ride I'd planned but there you go that's cycling for you.

34.5 miles
    16.6 mph avg
    38.5 mph max - on the flat :wink:
    201 miles this week
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Rich158

Distance (mi ) 80.89
    Avg. Heart Rate 133 bpm

That's bloody good for a solo effort, I was chainganging with two others which made it a hell of lot easier.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • il_principe
    Rich158 wrote:

Distance (mi ) 80.89
    Avg. Heart Rate 133 bpm

That's bloody good for a solo effort, I was chainganging with two others which made it a hell of lot easier.

Cheers, but much less climbing than your effort, chapeau!
  • il_principe

where did you go?

i co sherperded a slow/beginner club run, lovely day for it, though as you'd imagine a fairly relaxed speed.

Central London out to Windsor via Hampton and Ashford, then down to Sunningdale, Chobham, Ripley, Cobham, Ewell, Raynes Park, Wimbledon and home. New loop and some lovely parts, but to much time spent in Suburbia I think, not sure it'll become a favourite.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    This morning I kicked off my season with the Reading Spring Race. I had great ambitions, but I managed to badly wrong-foot myself into an error that saw me spat out the back halfway through the race. Despite that, still a good race overall.

The max speed made my eyes pop when I saw it. There were no major downhills, just a tail wind, so 73.6km/h was fairly impressive I thought. Especially when you are in the middle of a tight peloton.

I keep a blog of my various racing exploits, so check it out if you're interested. :)

@ Rich - get yourself racing.
  • Rich158
    Roastiecp wrote:

Where's the best place to get started? I'd love to give it a shot. My local club is TT or nothing at all so they're not much help. I guess a gentle introduction is hoping for too much so it will just be a case of jumping into the deep end and getting spat out the back a couple of times

Revised FCN - 2
  • Roastie
    Rich158 wrote:
    Roastiecp wrote:

Where's the best place to get started? I'd love to give it a shot. My local club is TT or nothing at all so they're not much help. I guess a gentle introduction is hoping for too much so it will just be a case of jumping into the deep end and getting spat out the back a couple of times
    Get yourself a BC license, and join a club (tho' not essential will help plenty) and then look for a 3/4 Cat race to do (look at the calendar on the www.britishcycling.org.uk). 4th Cat races are fairly friendly and the pace is OK - your main worry is novices to bunch riding who can sometimes be a bit of a hazard. Keep your nose clean, get used to riding close together, and you'll be fine.

If you can get yourself out to Hillingdon, the 4th Cat races there are good fun. Not sure about Hog Hill (which may be closer for you)?
  • roger_merriman

where did you go?

Central London out to Windsor via Hampton and Ashford, then down to Sunningdale, Chobham, Ripley, Cobham, Ewell, Raynes Park, Wimbledon and home. New loop and some lovely parts, but to much time spent in Suburbia I think, not sure it'll become a favourite.

ah yeah, fairly busy, I live in Hampton if i go that way i tend to take the back roads to stains which you pass in no time anyhow.

though i normally head south hill hunting though i've yet to have a look up close at windsor even though i've lived in these parts for a few years now.
  • cjcp
    Rich158 wrote:
    Roastiecp wrote:

Rich - what's your local club? Are Catford CC near you?

Roastie is spot on - watch out for the dodgy bike handling.

There are few closed circuits, Hillingdon being one. There's also Hog Hill or Crystal Palace, Chertsey, Dunsfold and Goodwood.

Keep your head down and get a feel for the pace and the circuit. The difference between your present rides will be the changes in pace you'll need to respond to. Keep in the front 10 wheels, so you reduce the risk of being caught up in a crash and so you can respond to attacks, if necessary.

Generally, it'll be a bunch sprint, so don't do a lot of work at the front, and save yourself for the sprint: your priority is to get to the 3rd Cats. You need to accumulate 10 pts to reach 3rd Cat (much more interesting courses). 1st place gets you 10 pts, 2nd gets you 9 pts etc etc.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Nice one Rich, Roastie and Jash, looks like you all had a good day! Itboffin, 38.5 on the flat - jeepers, at least you had something to smile about :D

Couldn't get my lazy @rse out of bed this morning but nipped out for an hour this evening.

20.25 miles in 1:05hr - hit my best top speed 46.9mph which feels a long way from the magical 50mph I'm trying for.

Got a long way to go to catch up with you lot, but it's fun trying.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Rich158
    cjcp wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:
    Roastiecp wrote:

Rich - what's your local club? Are Catford CC near you?

Roastie is spot on - watch out for the dodgy bike handling.

There are few closed circuits, Hillingdon being one. There's also Hog Hill or Crystal Palace, Chertsey, Dunsfold and Goodwood.

Keep your head down and get a feel for the pace and the circuit. The difference between your present rides will be the changes in pace you'll need to respond to. Keep in the front 10 wheels, so you reduce the risk of being caught up in a crash and so you can respond to attacks, if necessary.

Generally, it'll be a bunch sprint, so don't do a lot of work at the front, and save yourself for the sprint: your priority is to get to the 3rd Cats. You need to accumulate 10 pts to reach 3rd Cat (much more interesting courses). 1st place gets you 10 pts, 2nd gets you 9 pts etc etc.

Cheers for the info. Catford isn't too far so I'll check them out. There seems to be a fair few races in Surrey, Kent is very TT orientated unfortunately, but it'll be no worse than doing the sportives. I take it you don't need to be a member of a club to race, just hold a BC license.

Cat 1 awaits :wink:

Revised FCN - 2
  • cjcp
    Yep, you don't need to be a member of a club. But you don't even need a BC licence; you could just purchase a day licence when you sign on for the race. However, you need a BC licence to collect points to move up the cats.

Hillingdon do some Tuesday evening races if you can get yourself across there, but I've made it yet.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Rich158
    cjcp wrote:
    Yep, you don't need to be a member of a club. But you don't even need a BC licence; you could just purchase a day licence when you sign on for the race. However, you need a BC licence to collect points to move up the cats.

Hillingdon do some Tuesday evening races if you can get yourself across there, but I've made it yet.

I'm probably going to give Catford CC a go, they seem to have a fairly active race section and a good social life, which is important at the moment. Unfortunately Gravesend CC, which is my local, is me another chap about my age and half a dozen crumblies.

I think Hillingdon is going to be out on Tuesday evenings, the logistics of getting accross there in time to warm up and race just put it out of the picture.

Now there's just just a little matter of getting the Fred Whitton out of the way first :roll:

Revised FCN - 2
  • Roastie
    Rich158 wrote:
    I think Hillingdon is going to be out on Tuesday evenings, the logistics of getting accross there in time to warm up and race just put it out of the picture.
    I have the same problem! I work just across the river from Gravesend so getting to Hillingdon on time is a mission.

ps. My knowledge of South East England geography is patchy at best, but it might be worth checking out London Phoenix - they seem to be a "virtual" club that are very active in racing and seem like a nice bunch of guys.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Had a wonderful 65 miler on saturday, down south in the new forest, great weather, great scenery, great company. I'm planning to have a really silly tan this summer...

Also very nice to get the maxima out on a long ride which was a bit more continuous than my two separate rides which add up to 65 miles last weekend.
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    I had a lovely ride in the New Forest too.

Bet my company was better than yours :wink:

As for a silly tan - I already look like I have stood in some bleach......
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    linsen wrote:
    I had a lovely ride in the New Forest too.

Bet my company was better than yours :wink:

As for a silly tan - I already look like I have stood in some bleach......

Did you? What a coincidence! ;)

I haven't got much of a difference in colour on my arms yet, but my hatred of sleeveless jerseys will change that before long... go go gadget farmer's tan!
  • il_principe
    Ah the cyclists tan! I put SPF on my face but not my arms, somewhat red this morning. :oops:

Also, I can barely believe that we had a sunny Sunday and now a rainy Monday, normally it's the other way round, thank you weather gods!
  • Rich158
    Roastiecp wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:
    I have the same problem! I work just across the river from Gravesend so getting to Hillingdon on time is a mission.

ps. My knowledge of South East England geography is patchy at best, but it might be worth checking out London Phoenix - they seem to be a "virtual" club that are very active in racing and seem like a nice bunch of guys.

Thanks for pointing me in their direction, they sound like just what I'm looking for :lol::lol:

It's always good to see they have a gorly section now I'm single again :wink:

Revised FCN - 2
  • roger_merriman
    Ah the cyclists tan! I put SPF on my face but not my arms, somewhat red this morning. :oops:

Also, I can barely believe that we had a sunny Sunday and now a rainy Monday, normally it's the other way round, thank you weather gods!

i tan very dark in nano secs but my wifes um chest is looking most amusing as while i was off in the surrey lanes she was in bikini top....
  • itboffin
    Looks out of window :shock: , mmmm! might take a rest day today, scuttles back to bed :D
  • Rich158
    itboffin wrote:
    Looks out of window :shock: , mmmm! might take a rest day today, scuttles back to bed :D

Bugger off back to bed then :evil: some of us are being more productive and are actually working :wink:

Revised FCN - 2