Ride Reports

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Greg66 wrote:
    Waking up at 9.00 isn't the best preparation though.

:shock: You lazy... :wink:

I had been up 3 hrs and 15 mins by then.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

:shock: Were you working shifts again? :D
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    0545 on a sunday?

Are you insane? I think I rolled out of bed at about 1030...

However, getting up at a normal hour is no excuse for not doing any cycling, especially when one is training for a ride to Paris...
  • cjcp
    Greg66 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

A-ha ha ha. :P

Kids. They're a menace. And we'd been out for a dinner as well, so my head was, well, a little foggy.

Yesterday morning, my youngest woke me. Again, before 6. This time by flicking my ears. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

A-ha ha ha. :P

Kids. They're a menace. And we'd been out for a dinner as well, so my head was, well, a little foggy.

Yesterday morning, my youngest woke me. Again, before 6. This time by flicking my ears. :)

:shock: That, in our house, would have resulted in the next youngest being promoted to youngest. Permanently.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    1 mile today between my house and a friends in the village :D I was however wearing shirt, jumper (Kashmir natch) tweed jacket & shoes no pipe i'm afraid. :D
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Lovely day, riding to a pub for lunch. Chose a loop to enjoy the weather and generate an apetite. Was overtaken by a tricycle! end of apetite.

On return from pub meet an even more implacable nemesis - temporary road works at the foot of a hill! Nothing clever to do, sit in the queue and wait for the lights to change. Can't clip in first time aargh. Now slogging on uphill, for what seems like miles, with the road menders applauding. I did point out that the traffic sign indicated 10mph and that I was doing 10mph! Still in the road works the lights have changed and oncoming cars. I stick in the middle of the lane (what else can I do?) and as there is a stream of stuff behind me they have to pull over or duck back. At last I exit the roadworks and finish the hill, knackered but plodding on as the traffic I had held up passes. No hoots, toots or rude gestures/words, amazing. But how fair is it to place a speed limit on roadworks then set the timings so you cannot clear the obstruction before the lights change?

Anyway I visited my week old granddaughter on my way home, so the whole day was grand.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • cjcp
    But how fair is it to place a speed limit on roadworks then set the timings so you cannot clear the obstruction before the lights change?

Doesn't surprise me one little bit. :?

When does your granddaughter get first road bike?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Work in progress :wink:
    The older I get the faster I was
  • lost_in_thought
    edited April 2009
    Had a great ride home, thought I'd make good use of the sunshine and add a lap of RP to the homeward journey, converting my usual 7 miles into 20!

It was also the first time I've attempted RP on the fixed since achilles-gate, and I'm happy that I almost made it round - just couldn't quite get to the top of the one going anti-c-wise where you have the roundabout then it's sort of hill-flattish bit-hill with lh bend at top. I caved just before the top of the second bit - didn't have enough speed on after the roundabout. I think it's dark hill?

Anyway, including the short walk, made it round in a relatively respectable 25 minutes. Not epic, not a huge deal, I know, but it makes me a happy bunny as its evidence that I'm regaining the strength I've lost.

Oh and I had a pannier and a lock, and a soft back tyre. Yeah. ;)

:D

Edited for directional accuracy, thanks CJ!
  • cjcp
    Yep, Dark Hill. But you would have been going anti c/wise. :P
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • lost_in_thought
    cjcp wrote:
    Yep, Dark Hill. But you would have been going anti c/wise. :P

damn it... I feel an edit coming on...
  • itboffin
    When you say soft back tyre do you mean a puncture :twisted:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • lost_in_thought
    itboffin wrote:
    When you say soft back tyre do you mean a puncture :twisted:

We'll see in the morning, it's still holding air now, probably just not noticed!
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    i went out with some folks from the Kingston wheelers lot, nice ride though the surrey lanes and up winterdown and white hill, both of which are nice steep hills (touch 20% or there abouts) had a light lunch in peaslake, and then out with the wee wify to watch wolverine.
  • cjcp
    @Benno

Here is the loop out from Penarth around Creigiau and Peterstone and back via Dyffryn and Wenvoe. Just under 30 miles.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/286243

Presently working on another one involving Cowbridge and want to make a trip out to Southerndown too - there'd be some good views out there.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    Wet cold & windy out there, perfect :D

Bike - check
    Pilot - check

Bliss :D
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    cjcp wrote:
    @Benno

Here is the loop out from Penarth around Creigiau and Peterstone and back via Dyffryn and Wenvoe. Just under 30 miles.

Presently working on another one involving Cowbridge and want to make a trip out to Southerndown too - there'd be some good views out there.

Looking at cycling out from Southerndown on Sunday or Monday up Ogmore Vale to Rhondda and back www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=7025 do you know what these roads are like? I have never cycled around there before but am visiting a friend who lives in Southerndown and need a shortish ride with some hills in preparation for next weeks Fred Whitton.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    i went out with some folks from the Kingston wheelers lot, nice ride though the surrey lanes and up winterdown and white hill, both of which are nice steep hills (touch 20% or there abouts) had a light lunch in peaslake, and then out with the wee wify to watch wolverine.

Any good?
  • cjcp
    Feltup wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    @Benno

Looking at cycling out from Southerndown on Sunday or Monday up Ogmore Vale to Rhondda and back www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=7025 do you know what these roads are like? I have never cycled around there before but am visiting a friend who lives in Southerndown and need a shortish ride with some hills in preparation for next weeks Fred Whitton.

Don't know those roads with the exception of the A48 and the coast road from Southerndown beach along the river inland - it's a narrow, twisting, undulating road but on the side of a hill and no trees, so you can see everything. Watch out for the sheep - they like to graze by the side of the road!

You're not far from Dragon Ride territory, so it'll get lumpy once you go north of the M4, towards the Beacons. You could check out the Dragon course, but I come from east of Southerndown and have done the road out from Rhoose to Llantwit, and the lanes around Llantrisant (north east of where you are/just north of the A48 and Cowbridge, which, is a good spot for a Cake Stop.) No real hills round there, mind. For the FWC, you're probably better seeking out the Bwlch and Rhigos on the Dragon Ride course.

I think Mark Alexander on the forum is with the Ogmore Wheelers. Might want to drop a post on Cake Stop or Training Rides for more of an idea.

Alternatively, Roger is from the Beacons so he might be able to give you some points.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Feltup
    Thanks. I know what you mean about the sheep on the estuary road, they own the road!

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • lost_in_thought
    I am plotting an essex-cambridge-essex this weekend... fun!
  • Feltup

Don't get a nosebleed from the height gain :wink:

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • lost_in_thought
    Feltup wrote:

:lol::lol:

Yeah, it'll be nice and flat...

outbound 37 miles, total ascent 1249 feet...
    return 43 miles, total ascent 1722 feet....

teeheeehee flat
  • Feltup
    Feltup wrote:

teeheeehee flat

Hold on that is 3000ft in 80 miles, that's not too bad. Where did they hide all those bumps?

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • lost_in_thought
    Feltup wrote:
    Feltup wrote:

teeheeehee flat

Hold on that is 3000ft in 80 miles, that's not too bad. Where did they hide all those bumps?

They're in there somewhere!

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=7026

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=7027

Mostly around the Linton area... just outside Cambridge...
  • Feltup
    You cut across that route near Haverhill on the Dunwich Dynamo, really nice roads around there from what I saw in the dark :)

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    Feltup wrote:
    Hold on that is 3000ft in 80 miles, that's not too bad.

Did 1750ft in 30 miles on Sunday, but I did go specifically looking for hills :)
    Today is a good day to ride
  • Feltup
    girv73 wrote:
    Feltup wrote:
    Hold on that is 3000ft in 80 miles, that's not too bad.

Did 1750ft in 30 miles on Sunday, but I did go specifically looking for hills :)

Good man the sickness has infected you too. I do the same on nearly all my rides. I feel I have cheated if I haven't tackled one evil hill on a ride.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • itboffin
    edited April 2009
    Are you sitting comfortably? good then i'll begin....

The day started much the same as most days, super early start usually close to 5am :shock: you know us oldies like to get up dawns crack as early as possible :wink: straight into my first party sized jug of fresh coffee to wash down those MASSHOOF cod liver oil capsules, I think your meant to swallow them :shock:

A quick check of the weather, mmm looking totally pants out there, oh well never mind I have to make the most of my remaining free time, now which bike?!? not the roadie surely not that white bar tape, saddle & frame just doesn't go with my winter full bib tights :D alas the Mercian whilst well prepared for these conditions is just too heavy for my chosen route, single speed? nah maybe tomorrow, ah the CX :D weapon chosen & prep. now all remains is to neck something for the bloody hangover :roll:

One quick round of toast, beans & scrambled eggs and i'm standing outside in the rain faffing with my GPS, pah no damn signal AGAIN! should have done this inside, although its raining it def not cold once again I may be wearing too many clothes, never mind I'm sure I won't regret it later.

Tally ho! sees me trundling off <12mph :lol: i'm going to be an ace TT pilot :lol: i've planned to cycle to the Highclere sportive start point and then knock out another communicat this time taking one or two quieter roads, best laid plans and all that. Taking it nice an easy to the start I can't help thinking something a miss.....

Before I know it i'm at the 3 mile mark time for my first sip, a quick nip from the flask/bidon part of the plan you see a quick drink every 3 miles until the sports drinks all gone then onto water as a when needed, arse!!! I've forgotten to bring anything to eat with me and in all of yesterdays excitement I only ate once the whole day, this is not going to end well :?

By the time I hit the start mark I've already long since given up on taking it easy, its already a balls out head down pedal stomping wet showdown me against....? erm no one :lol: I get to the first major junction where the route requires a left turn towards Watership down but oh no I'm having no of that, what if I go straight on? wouldn't that eventually get me to the same place??? - NO is the answer that will after 10 miles take you onto the slip road of the very busy A303 :shock: nice detour though, after a selection of wiggly back roads i'm heading in the right direction again, down some awesome single track, CX bikes totally rule :D I will definitely be back this way at some point its really beautiful even in this weather just imagine what it's like on a fine day. At this point both my GPS go on strike oh well i'm sure it'll sort it's self out.

Up until this point i'd been heading into the wind so turning down the high sided hedge single track instantly gave me a speed boost which was very welcome, so far today I felt like I'm being working really hard this should have been my first warning sign. Carrying on into then straight out of Whitchurch I climbed the steep hill in the big ring just because i'm very very hard 8) and I was getting a little cold especially my hands but clever old me I had another dry and warm pair of gloves in my jacket pocket those will come in handy later. Quickly leaving the town behind me I make my second unscheduled route change partly because I wanted to try a new route but also because that section of the Highclere sportive route is frankly dull, big mistake! :? after flying down the otherside of the hill i'd just climbed it was very obvious that once again I was going to join a busy A road, thankfully my GPS was back and showed a tiny lane (CX rocks) which sort of sets me back in the rightish direction, off we go BUT hold on what's this weird stomach pain?!? :? this is not right, this was warning two.

Lucky after a while I spotted a signpost for a village back on route still blasting along single track but with more and more effort and speed starting to scrub off, just when I didn't need it a 4x4 driver decides to sit behind me instead of passing and keeps this stupid arse behaviour for about five miles before I finally stop giving the driver an "evil look" :evil: then I noticed this stomach pain is MASSHOOF hunger pains, damn why didn't I pack some food, this mornings breakfast barely touched the sides and that combined with not eating well the day before is now showing and I know what can happen next if i'm not really careful, warning three.

Time for a quick revision of the planning route, now I'll have to detour to the nearest know town with a shop BTW people of Hants & W. Berks you seriously need more village shops and pubs WTF is that about??? - so now I have a problem i'm almost 40 miles into a 60 mile ride and I'm on the road to Walbury Hill (highest point in SE) I need to go around to get to Kintbury and at the same time pace myself carefully, I true form I ignore this idea and set off in the low 20s :lol: :roll: I want to go out in a blaze of glory :oops:

This lasts only as long as the tailwind, damn damn damn still I clearly made it, phew! a quick snack stop but by then I already know it's too late the damage has been done in fact it was done last night, it's amazing just how dry food can be when your approaching the dreaded BONK :lol::( time to recover home just another 15 miles or so across reasonably flat terrain now, keeping it steady in the small ring all the way now wearing my dry & warm spare gloves, ace! :D

The last five miles or so are somewhat a blur I know I held a fair pace even after several WVM attempts at taking my life include a dust cart who'd clearly been slightly off road if the vegetation sticking out of the wheel arches are anything to go by, nice of them not to slow down or move over even a little.

By now i'm looking straight down in front of my wheel neck aching like a bitch and legs only turned by will power, I know this feeling very well i've BONKED big time :(

Still my hangover has gone completely, only to be replaced with a dehydration headache which is frankly stupid as I had water left but during the concentration required to navigate safely home I forgot, doh! :roll:

Back home, all showered off (huge effort that was) a bowl of steaming hot soup and tons of bread followed by another giant jug of real coffee and two huge slices of flapjack i'm starting to come back round.

Just another one of my little adventure and another couple of lessons learnt, eat properly everyday regardless, don't skip meals, take something suitable for the ride duration with you, drink regularly, exploring alternative routes is fun, CX bikes totally 'like' rule man.

Washing machine is full & primed, I think although I could just have filled the dishwasher with wet muddy cycling clothes :lol:

Best get other there and clean off my bike before it goes all ginger :lol:

Happy days :lol: