Rock Lobster Team Tig SL *NEW PICS*

Comments

• adb1006
    adb1006 Posts: 938
    I've not had a single problem with them despite putting a good 2,000 miles on them i reckon - about 90% at least offroad. I was worried at only 24 spokes they might be weak, but i've had a couple of prangs and they've stayed true. I've not even needed to tighten any spokes. The UST is a godsend - i've had one puncture due to the sealant "going off" and not sealing the hole (my fault as you should replenish it every 3 months really - i was lazy), and one explosion(!) due to a faulty tyre. I was getting at least one puncture per ride before i went tubeless and it was chapping my arse to say the least. I've got the Captains which are similar to the Sauserwinds - they go on these rims a treat - no problems whatsoever getting them inflated with just a track pump. Once they're on, just go for a blast up the road - gets the sealant sploshing around and keeps them inflated!
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    adb1006 wrote:
    Think i'm gonna take a pic later and post it up with an old one of it the day it was built.

Look forward to that :D

Out of interest, what size frame is that ?
  • adb1006
    About a week after it's maiden voyage:

11032009007-1.jpg

How it now looks (not the best picture):

09032010173.jpg

Doesn't actually look massively different in those two pics - it's about 3-4lbs lighter though (as is my bank account). Has new pedals, rotors, skewers, seatpost clamp, stem, bars, grips, cables, a smattering of ti and alu bolts, oh and a whole new drivetrain consisting of both mechs, shifters, cassette and chainrings :D
    *AL* wrote:
    Out of interest, what size frame is that ?

It's a 17" mate 8)
  • adb1006
    WTF is all that about???
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    adb1006 wrote:
    WTF is all that about???

Think he wants to be your friend :shock:

Nice upgrades BTW :D
  • *AL*
    jacob2910 wrote:

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/in ... 458AAgNHyr :wink:
    pdid wrote:
    Nice upgrades BTW :D

Agree !

One of my fav bikes on BR.

Nice collection of Megs stuff too, I can see you like your shiny-shiny.
  • adb1006
    Ah yes, the Meg's gear - was once used to clean my car when it used to look like this:

_DSC5543.jpg

However, the VR is now just used to transport the bike about (and then the Meg's is used to clean said bike) :lol:
  • adb1006
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Nice VR6 8)

Thanks :D It's up for sale soon though :cry: I only really use it now to transport the bike about or pop to the gym in - bit of a waste really (although it is keeping the mileage nice and low - it's done less than 90k). That pic was taken when it was featured in Performance Car Magazine a year or so ago. They did a test between the new R32 and the new shape Impreza - then they wanted to do the same test, but 10 years ago - so they used my VR and some chap with a classic shape scooby.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Cool, I used to have the Mk3 Gti Anniversary in the same colour, not as fancy as the VR6, my favourite was my corrado G60 though, it was running 225bhp, nothing like the sound of a supercharger 8) Well that is unless you've heard a supercharged VR6...
  • adb1006
    I've always wanted a Corrado G60! Absolutely timeless shape!
    I toyed with the idea of supercharging the VR but couldn't really justify spending more than the car is worth on what is essentially a pulley and a belt :(

I'm a bit of a VW fan - this is my old oak green 16 valver:

DSCF0001.jpg
  • Paul 8v
    Nice 8) I've always like the oak greens, It's actually the only golf I haven't owned the mk2 (Not counting the new ones that are MASSIVE) The MK1 was a lot of fun, they don't make them like that any more. I've gone a little bit more old school for my dub now, won't clog up your thread with photo's of my car but this is the new toy, spent a lot of tiem and money on this girl...
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v730/ ... ar0010.jpg
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v730/ ... ar0014.jpg
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v730/ ... ar0017.jpg
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v730/ ... ar0019.jpg
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v730/ ... ar0024.jpg
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v730/ ... ar0025.jpg
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v730/ ... ar0027.jpg

Haven't been driving her much recently, the weather has been pants and the potholes are abysmal, It's so low it just clatters off them!

There's some better photos on the photobucket file from the photoshoot but I didn't take them
  • *AL*
    _DSC5543.jpg

Now that's tidy 8)

I use Megs on recommendation when I had a major de-swirl session and was very impressed.

I used a G220 with some 83 & 80 to bust the swirls and topped it off with some Victoria Concours.

Picture406.jpg

Picture300.jpg

Although like yours, it never seems to stay looking like that for very long.
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    ahh bubbles of death on the plastic cill covers though....

The VR6 was the last decent Golf, and would have been better if it had been developed properly rather than rushing it in to cover up the fact the standard GTi was hopeless. I just wish I still had mine. :cry:
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • Paul 8v
    The MK5 GTI is pretty good, it's just so bloody big, i think you could fit a mk1 in the boot!
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    it's good, but kak at going round tight corners. Can't keep up with my Arbarth, which has been proven on more than one occasion to comedy effect on country corners. Plus my wallet and the lovely computer's telling me my average MPG is still 48.

Alas it's going in two weeks to be replaced by a Skoda Superb Estate.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • adb1006
    Some new pics added to page 1 following it's first real clean and service of the year. It was pretty messy :oops:

Love this pic for some reason:
    10042010197.jpg
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    How did I miss this thread?!

I've had a mk2 Gti 8v 0 modded it slightly (big bumpers added - the old ones died, tidied it up, ice'd it) then a mk3 GTi 16v which was a brilliant allrounder but needed thrashing then a mk4 Golf R32 which I really liked - had to sell it when I moved to Bristol and it became no1 thief target. Only got pics of the R32:

Golf6.jpg

Now I've got the Beemer, I use Zainos Z5 Pro - it's great stuff!

Just done it in fact:

P1000818.jpg

Nice bike ADB - did you have one nicked? Similar weight to mine via a different speccing route!
  • adb1006
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Nice bike ADB - did you have one nicked? Similar weight to mine via a different speccing route!

No, haven't had one nicked. I built this up from scratch, although it started out a fair bit different than it is now (was infected by weenie-ism :P ).

Next up some light wheels & tyres and an SLR saddle. Then possibly some lighter forks depending on budget - although there's really nothing wrong with the Reba's - plus they're air, so not exactly heavy :?
  • Surf-Matt
    adb - I also have the same "illness" and have spent almost £730 on mine this week...

Having it weighed on Monday (when the new wheel gets fitted) but it should be a similar weight to yours. It certainly feels light!

Was a 2007 Stumpy Comp HT but changed many bits:

Brakes - Elixir CRs
    Bar - BBB carbon
    Pedals - XT SPD
    Rear wheel - Hope Pro2/Mavic xc717 (arriving Monday)
    Crankset (2nd replacement!) - new XT
    Cassette - SRAM 990 (from 970)
    Chain - SRAM 991
    Headset - Hope
    Skewers - Hope
    Seat clamp - Hope
    Shifters - SRAM X-9
    Seatpost - Thomson Elite
    Saddle - Spesh Phenom SL (ti and carbon)
    Bottle cag - Spesh carbon
    Tyres - Spesh Sauserwind 1.8 S Works

So some similarish spec choices! Rides very nicely now!
  • adb1006
    edited April 2010
    Some nice bits you have there. You could shave some weight by dropping the Hope skewers and seatclamp and going KCNC though :wink:

KCNCtiskewers.jpg

KCNCSC11318.jpg

I had the SRAM cassette and chain originally - only changed them due to wear - saved about 150g by going to the XTR cassette and KMC X10sl though :D

XTR11-32.jpg

KMCX10sl-1.jpg
  • Surf-Matt
    All those items are fairly new.

I will confirm the weight next week...

I need stuff to last as well as be light :lol:
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    Gentleman....

18lb 7oz is where it's at ;)

Was worth it in the end, as it made todays ride soooo much easier.

Even though I am unfit as feck after this bug!!!

I sounded like Doc Holiday coughing my heart up whilst cycling (chest infection) :lol:
  • Surf-Matt
    18lb 7oz - on an MTB? HOW?
  • The Big Cheese
    Surf-Matt wrote:

Light frame
    Light wheels/tyres/tubes
    and carbon/ti hardware..

In all fairness my frame weighs about the same as an apple :lol:

Theres a couple a 17lb bike on here a flash team 'dale (tis liovely) 8)
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    Surf-Matt wrote:

Light frame
    Light wheels/tyres/tubes
    and carbon/ti hardware..

IIRC it`s not really used as a mountain bike though is it :twisted:
  • adb1006
    pdid wrote:

:lol:

there's a workable limit too imo

you got any weight pics cheese?
  • The Big Cheese
    adb1006 wrote:
    pdid wrote:

:lol:

there's a workable limit too imo

you got any weight pics cheese?

Not at the moment, but I am going to order some of my own scales, it was weighted at the LBS when I had to take it down for a hanger querie.

That was without pedals though ;)
  • The Big Cheese
    pdid wrote:
    Surf-Matt wrote:

Light frame
    Light wheels/tyres/tubes
    and carbon/ti hardware..

Who pulled your chain?