pdid Posts: 1,065
    Looking saweet!!!

Damn you for bringing aligator cables to my attention :lol:
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Nice, those cables are funky!
  • adb1006
    adb1006 Posts: 938
    The cables are brilliant. You don't cut the outers, they just snap apart at 10mm increments so you can play around with sizes until you get them spot on. Plus they've got a plastic liner between the outer and the cable which should keep the winter out! :D
  • adb1006
    A pic from the weekend:
    17012010115.jpg

Took it out for it's first ride with the new bits and bobs. Impressed with everything except the KCNC skewers which kept coming loose :evil:
    I'll persevere with them for another couple of rides but if it keeps happening then they're going in place of bolt-on's i reckon.
    It seems that when they're done up, they still rotate (even when in the "locked" position). I'm guessing they're therefore working themselves loose. I'll try doing them up as tight as i can get them, see if this remedies it. Anyone else experienced these problems with the KCNC's???
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    adb1006 wrote:
    ]
    Took it out for it's first ride with the new bits and bobs. Impressed with everything except the KCNC skewers which kept coming loose :evil:
    I'll persevere with them for another couple of rides but if it keeps happening then they're going in place of bolt-on's i reckon.
    It seems that when they're done up, they still rotate (even when in the "locked" position). I'm guessing they're therefore working themselves loose. I'll try doing them up as tight as i can get them, see if this remedies it. Anyone else experienced these problems with the KCNC's???

They look very similar to Hope skewers which are also crap by all accounts.
  • I've been using the KCNC skeweres for a while now, thankfully I've had no probs with them coming undone :shock:

The levers are quite small though.
    *Rock Lobster Team Tig SL (22lb 14oz)
    *C. Late 1950's Fixed Gear
    *1940 Raleigh Dawn Tourist with rod brakes
  • adb1006
    I've been using the KCNC skeweres for a while now, thankfully I've had no probs with them coming undone :shock:

The levers are quite small though.

I've read a few reviews/reports on the net since my first ride with them and it would seem that they are fine so long as you do them up VERY tight. Apparently the smaller throw of the lever makes it feel as if you're doing them up tighter than you are - so that's probably what happened - i did them up by feel as tight as i would have done my XT's, and it wasn't tight enough. I've given them a good old heave now and hopefully this will remedy things - don't think i could have got them much tighter.
    Do yours have some "sideways play" when they're done up? It's hard to explain but my lever will easily move from side to side although it's done up tightly and locked into position.
  • I do mine up really tight (which isn't helped by the smaller levers), but I get no movement/play at all when they're done up.

If you still get any movement/play I'd want to change them.. Did you get them from Clee Cycles? I've spoken to a chap there a few times, he's seems friendly enough should you need to get them replaced?

Your bike is shedding weight quickly now!

[/b]
  • adb1006
    I do mine up really tight (which isn't helped by the smaller levers), but I get no movement/play at all when they're done up.

If you still get any movement/play I'd want to change them.. Did you get them from Clee Cycles? I've spoken to a chap there a few times, he's seems friendly enough should you need to get them replaced?

Your bike is shedding weight quickly now!

[/b]

hhmmm - they definitely move a few mm side-to-side when they're done up. I'll have another look later. The lever seems to move but not the clamp part which is against the frame - that stays put i think. They may be faulty i guess. Not a part you really want to fail on you either!

The Lobster is down to 22.86lbs now :D

Definitely replacing the seat for an SLR - not sure whether to go for a Ti, Fibra or Kit Carbonio though :?
    I also seem to be spending an unhealthy amount of time looking at X0 twisters at the moment too :oops:
  • Captain Turok
    Captain Turok Posts: 686
    edited January 2010
    Riding with faulty(?) skewers sounds like it could get interesting!? :twisted:

Your current spec is looking great, but if you've got XO surely you've gotta get those twister shifters 8)
    The Kit Carbonio SLR looks the biz, but not sure I'd be happy with the carbon covered rails? I whinced when I saw my SLR bounce end over end down an embankment (thankfully I'd bailed a little bit earlier).

I still find myself looking at lighter wheelsets, I'd like to loose approx 450g, but keep finding other things to be spending the money on :(
  • adb1006
    Riding with faulty skewers sounds like it could get interesting!? :twisted:

Your current spec is looking great, but if you've got XO surely you've gotta get those twister shifters 8)
    The Kit Carbonio SLR looks the biz, but not sure I'd be happy with the carbon covered rails? I whinced when I saw my SLR bounce end over end down an embankment (thankfully I'd bailed a little bit earlier).

I still find myself looking at lighter wheelsets, I'd like to loose approx 450g, but keep finding other things to be spending the money on :(

Yeah, i've almost lost faith in the KCNC's now too. I'll do them up mega-tight and see how the weekend ride goes i think. Any slippage and they're going back for a refund!

I agree about the X0 :roll: I've not used gripshift since i was kid though and i'm not sure i'll get on with it.

Wheels are on my list for the summer i reckon. Fancy some Stans on Hope Pro III's :D
    What have you been eye'ing up?
  • The weight saving with a pair of twister grips would help me get used to them :wink:

Stans on Hope 3's also! I don't really like the clicking hub but I love the weight. Maybe they'll be the odd deal around when they change the rim from the 355 to the Alpine/Crest? (or whatever the new names are?)
  • adb1006
    My mate has a set of hoops (DT 5.1 on Pro II's) and the noise is very annoying but does alert ramblers that you are approaching, which is handy!
  • adb1006
    I seem to have fixed the KCNC skewer problem - basically i wasn't doing them up tight enough (seems i have been spoiled by the shimano ones for so long) 8)

Also, the shifters have been upgraded :D Now running X0 gripshifts.Took it out at the weekend and very impressed with them. They shift flawlessly and you can bang up or down as many gears you like in one movement. They also tipped the scales at 191g including cables! They came out of the box at 203g but have now had the cables trimmed and 2x alu bolts replacing the steel clamp bolts.
    Also, due to a bit of a scissor-related-retarded-incident, i've had to replace the Ritchey WCS grips :oops: A set of Bontrager X-Lite foams are on order (i've seen pics and they seem to mate up nice with the gripshift :D ) Will get some new pics up once the grips are fitted.
  • that rock lobsters looking alright mate you racing the thetford winter series and what you up to thursday night fancy a night ride 8) 8) on the lowestoft through to fritton on to gt yarmouth and along the cliffs back to lowie
    i ride it like i stole it.
    genesis altitude 853 2007 rides like a dream
    IRON HORSE BOOTLEG3 xtr/bling 2009
    R100 cromo rasta build roadie lovin fun machine with flat bar owww yeah 1996
  • adb1006
    Cheers!

Ha ha, no, i'm not racing. Never really appealed to me.

I would probably join you thursday if i had a front light! I have one on order which should be here in a couple of weeks (from Hong Kong - one of the DX jobbies). Do you know Mark and Dan by any chance? Think they do the Lowie to Fritton ride of an evening???
  • adb1006
    Some pics of the new X0 Gripshifts and cut down Bontrager X-Lite foam grips 8) :

28012010116.jpg

28012010118.jpg

28012010117.jpg

28012010122.jpg

28012010123.jpg

New front light also arrived from Hong Kong this week - 900 lumens :shock: :

30012010131-1.jpg
  • That is Dan :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    NICE ROTORS!
  • adb1006
    edited February 2010
    That is Dan :wink:

Oh! Lol. What's with the cannondale king bit? Not another new frame surely!
  • He used to have a Dale when he first started posting. And another new frame? we spoke to you what? 2 months back? he's gone through 2 new frames since then :roll: :roll:
  • Sloper
    Sloper Posts: 141
    17012010115.jpg

That's a nice bike.

So who is Cliff Edge?
  • adb1006
    Sloper wrote:
    So who is Cliff Edge?

Some strange bloke trapped inside a red triangle :roll: :lol:
  • adb1006
    edited March 2010
    Slight update:

TA Specialites 2x9 conversion using 40t in middle position and 28t in granny. Plus OBVIOUSLY black alu bolts 8)

06032010170.jpg

06032010171.jpg

:D
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Nice, I think I might have to ditch my granny ring one day, I never use the thing, does anyone ever use it? :?
  • adb1006
    I now have the 28t in the granny position and the 40t in the middle position with no outer ring Supposed to give a better chainline apparently. I never used the old 22t granny though, or the 44t outer. I use both these new ones though, depending on terrain.
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    17012010115.jpg

Now that Sir, is a bike 8)

I've always had a soft spot for Rock Lobsters, and that is a very fine example.
  • adb1006
    *AL* wrote:
    Now that Sir, is a bike 8)

I've always had a soft spot for Rock Lobsters, and that is a very fine example.

Why, thank you :D

Just realised that yesterday was a year to the day that i took it on it's maiden voyage. It looks a bit different now though :oops:

Think i'm gonna take a pic later and post it up with an old one of it the day it was built.
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    how are you getting on with the XT wheels, had any of the bearing/hub problems that others have mentioned? I'm going on call for a month so I can get some wheels/forks and these would mean I can go tubeless with my sauserwinds.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?