Rock Lobster Team Tig SL *NEW PICS*

Comments

• adb1006
    adb1006 Posts: 938
    I'm not really too sure on how a non-UST tyre will seat - i've only ever done mine and my mates, both using UST rims and tyres. Stans valves and sealant should do the trick. Give it a go - if it doesn't work, my Spesh tyres are only about £20 a piece.
  • adb1006
    New pics added showing the Thomson goodies - hhmmm 8)
  • adb1006
    TarkMalbot wrote:
    Great looking bike and a great spec for the price. Nice work! :wink:

Cheers - just swapped out the original V7 Hayes rotors to some Alligator Cirrus/Aries ones and converted the rear to 160mm. Also popped in some Superstar Gold Sintered pads front and rear - cracking pads for the money!
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    F*ck me¡ That Rock Lobster is gorgeous.. very nice choice of components too...
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Gorgeous gorgeous bike, i love Lobsters im mad jealous :oops: :D
  • adb1006
    F*ck me That Rock Lobster is gorgeous.. very nice choice of components too...
    jayson wrote:
    Gorgeous gorgeous bike, i love Lobsters im mad jealous :oops: :D

Thanks chaps :D
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    just did a search for this and found the thread, I was looking at them as aposible frame to buy for a custom build. does the frame come with a sheet with all the sizes etc you need or is it a get the vernier gauge out jobbie for the seatpost etc?
    One thing that's stumping me is whether to go for the 853 or the Aluminium framed one as they are the same price.
    Just was wondering how you got on with this one, looks like a lovely build up, I was abit put off by the matt finish but it does look good all built up
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    just did a search for this and found the thread, I was looking at them as aposible frame to buy for a custom build. does the frame come with a sheet with all the sizes etc you need or is it a get the vernier gauge out jobbie for the seatpost etc?
    One thing that's stumping me is whether to go for the 853 or the Aluminium framed one as they are the same price.
    Just was wondering how you got on with this one, looks like a lovely build up, I was abit put off by the matt finish but it does look good all built up

Just call or email Merlin and they'll tell you, they build up full bikes all the time :D
  • adb1006
    Seat post is a 27.2, collar and front mech are 31.8.

I got this because i prefer alu to steel frames. It's lighter and stiffer than steel. The matt black finish is quite nice in the flesh - i wasn't particularly taken with the pics of it on the net, but was more than pleased when it turned up. I don't tend to buy bikes for the looks anyway, so it wasn't an issue.
  • Paul 8v
    That's fair enough, I've been around enough hot rods to know that matt paint is a pain in the ass but it's a different story on a bike I suppose. I'm thinking about building a bike up to ride about on the trails, do a little bit of road riding but also strong enough for a bit of a thrashing, the rock lobster looks perfect for this.
    I'm not into doing massive jumps or big drop offs etc, how do you find it?
  • adb1006
    Paul 8v wrote:
    That's fair enough, I've been around enough hot rods to know that matt paint is a pain in the ass but it's a different story on a bike I suppose. I'm thinking about building a bike up to ride about on the trails, do a little bit of road riding but also strong enough for a bit of a thrashing, the rock lobster looks perfect for this.
    I'm not into doing massive jumps or big drop offs etc, how do you find it?

I love it. I do about 95% offroad riding - i try to avoid the roads at all costs! It's nice and light and handles well. Seems very well built - i really can't find fault. The paint looks fine as it's usually covered in mud anyway but it does clean up nice too :D
  • Paul 8v
    Cool, it's good to hear from someone who's got one as there isn't much info on them (Not that I can find anyway, all I can really find info on is the handbuilt ones in the US of A)
    Do you mind if I ask how tall you are just so I can guage what size I might need? I'm 5'10", my old bike is an 18" but I bought that years ago and have been out of the scene for a while, there seems to be a trend for smaller frames nowdays, the bike only comes in 15" or 19", that seems like quite a jump! I'm thinking I might be needing a 15" with a huge seatpost, 19" seems too big.
    Sorry for all the questions but as I say I've been away from the scene for a while apart from a brief painfull foray with dirt jumping and everything seems to have changed!!
  • adb1006
    edited October 2009
    Mine is a 17" - i assume they're just sold out?

I'm 5'8" - 5'9" ish.

A 15" would definitely be too small for you IMO. The 17" isn't massive so you may get away with a 19" for your height. My mate is almost 6' and has a 19" Merlin Malt (which is the same geometry as the Rock Lobster), so i would say you were right inbetween sizes. Can you get to Merlin to try any out?
  • Paul 8v
    It's a bit of a trip for me unfortunately, I'll send them an email and see if that's the case with the 17", it definitely sounds like a better bet, I forgot to say i have stumpy legs so the 17 sounds better than the 19". thanks for your help, I'll let you know when I've got it all built up :-)
  • beardytwo
    beardytwo Posts: 174
    Very Nice...Love the matt black.. :twisted:
  • adb1006
    Some new pics of carbony-goodness 8)

CIMG0400.jpg

CIMG0398.jpg

CIMG0399.jpg

CIMG0402.jpg

CIMG0403.jpg

CIMG0397.jpg

CIMG0404.jpg

New Ritchey Carbon WCS flat bars and an Exotic Superlight Wedge and Carbon Top Cap :lol:
  • Paul 8v
    Are they the Ritchey foam grips? If they are they're great, I've used them for years :-)
  • Loving the spec changes!
    *Rock Lobster Team Tig SL (22lb 14oz)
    *C. Late 1950's Fixed Gear
    *1940 Raleigh Dawn Tourist with rod brakes
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    Lovely bike, has a sort of mean stealth look going on with the black 8)

Can I ask a question about the carbon top cap though? I'm thinking of getting one & the Superstar Ti headset bolt, does the carbon cap have a recess to accept a deep headed bolt or is it (as it looks on their site) a lower chamfered bit?
  • adb1006
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Are they the Ritchey foam grips? If they are they're great, I've used them for years :-)
    Yeah, they're the WCS foam ones - ordered the Ergo ones by mistake though which chapped my ar$e a bit :cry:
    Loving the spec changes!
    Why thank you :D
    Salsa wrote:
    Lovely bike, has a sort of mean stealth look going on with the black 8)

Can I ask a question about the carbon top cap though? I'm thinking of getting one & the Superstar Ti headset bolt, does the carbon cap have a recess to accept a deep headed bolt or is it (as it looks on their site) a lower chamfered bit?
    I think it's just a standard top cap but comes with a wierd wedge thing instead of a starnut. It weighs in at 13.5g all in though which was pretty impressive as the hed doctor was about 30g - and looked crap 8)
  • Salsa, I run one of these:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=6278

Very light, the bolt is chamfered and sits flush in the cap and saves weight, it's a 'no brand' jobbie, but has a nice weave in the flesh. The Ti bolt would save minimal weight and not worth the extra dosh. That's IMHO :oops:

£5.99

Gorgeous bike, great choice of kit, loving the cockpit/carbon touches ;)
  • Salsa
    Thanks for the info both of you, appreciate it. I think I'll go for the Brand X one as it looks a bit shinier :D
  • adb1006
    It's less than half the price too. I went for the Exotic one as i'm not a fan of starnuts!
  • Salsa
    The exotic one is on Ebay for the same sort of price, I don't need the weird star nut because I have a carbon steerer tube & have to use a wedge thing instead of a star nut. That star nut they use looks quite good though.
  • adb1006
    The Exotic one is very nice - nice weave to the carbon and has a clear lacquer it seems to keep it shiney.
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    Very nice, mines going back to Merlin today for a new headset.

It`s going to be getting some proper use for the 1st time this year as the Meta`s cracked. Taking both in this afternoon.
  • adb1006
    pdid wrote:
    Very nice, mines going back to Merlin today for a new headset.

It`s going to be getting some proper use for the 1st time this year as the Meta`s cracked. Taking both in this afternoon.
    What headset are you going for? If it's one with a logo, make sure the b*stards line it up properly - unlike they did with mine :evil:

It's about time you ditched the FS in favour of a proper bike :lol::wink:
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    Gonna get the Raceface Deus I think, they have a good offer on it at the moment.

TBH I`m really looking forward to getting back on the Lobster. Will be interesting to see how difficult it is going from FS to HT. It`s been a while :D
  • adb1006
    Some new bits :lol:

XTR 11-32 cassette, KMC X10 sl chain, X0 medium cage rear mech:
    19122009103.jpg

XT front mech (mate changed his frame and this didn't fit :D ) :
    19122009107.jpg

KCNC skewers and seatpost clamp:
    19122009098.jpg

19122009105.jpg