Things you've seen out & about

Comments

• salsajake
    salsajake Posts: 702
    Does anyone else get used as a beater by Barn Owls? They fly parallel to you over the hedge lines occasionally dropping the far side of the hedge to see if you flush anything from the hedge. It's amazing to watch

Yes! No idea thats what happened, was amazed that he was going at the same speed and not being scared off! The owl, the badger and the bats were all on the same stretch of the road, about 3/4 mile from owl to badgers, then 1/2 mile from badgers to bats!

Now it is getting light again, I probably won't see anything interesting...
  • BoardinBob
    BoardinBob Posts: 697
    My commute is flippin boring by comparison. Cathcart to Glasgow city centre. Plenty of wildlife at Queens Park but mostly foxes, dogs and neds. Entertainment always guaranteed on Victoria Road with fantastic displays of 'instant' parking. Then there's the M74 extension build and the brightly coloured workie warbler. Ra Gorbals (whats left of it) needs little description (and you won't get one as this is where my average speed spikes significantly - at least till I reach the Citizens Theatre). Then of course there is the river embankment - mmm should have its own tv show - have only been cycling to work six months and in that time have seen one attempted suicide (badly crafted to be fair), multiple early morning wino fights, countless neds armed with 'whatever to hand and throwable' and, of course, the evening shaggers thinking an overcoat covers all. It really doesn't. Well, not her legs at any rate. At least his pimply ars* was well hidden or I would have brought back my lunch. Entertaining nonetheless - roll on the better weather and its significant increase in nutters :-)

Small world. I'm on the same route as you.

I'm coming from Shawlands, up Tantallon Rd then through the park and up Vicky Rd.

I'm always a bit wary cycling along the river but thankfully I haven't been attacked yet!
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    salsajake wrote:
    Does anyone else get used as a beater by Barn Owls? They fly parallel to you over the hedge lines occasionally dropping the far side of the hedge to see if you flush anything from the hedge. It's amazing to watch

Yes! No idea thats what happened, was amazed that he was going at the same speed and not being scared off! The owl, the badger and the bats were all on the same stretch of the road, about 3/4 mile from owl to badgers, then 1/2 mile from badgers to bats!

Now it is getting light again, I probably won't see anything interesting...

It wasn't the "Tales of the riverbank" reunion weekend was it?
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • marchant
    marchant Posts: 362
    Not sure how I missed this thread, but I had something cool last week while working on nights; stood outside for a cigarette (shame on me), I saw an urban fox which then walked up to within five feet of me. Hadn't lost it's fear of people though, 'cos when I moved my rustling jacket scared it off. It looked well fed, so maybe someone's been feeding it, which would explain why it came so close.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Today I saw an elephant and a crocodile - oh YES I did!!!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • marchant
    marchant Posts: 362
    Me too! Spent an excellent day at Colchester Zoo...DSCF2663.jpg
  • bluecow
    bluecow Posts: 306
    On my commute i once saw a lad delivering newspapers on a unicycle, and a bloke with a kite or a kestrel or some other bird of prey (ornithology is not my strong point).
    Too often now i see parents driving a kid from door to door delivering newspapers <sigh>.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Today I saw a forlorn old shopper bike in the middle of a field with a sheep thoughtfully chewing on it.
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Saw a Buzzard yesterday, makes a change from all the Red Kites.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Just saw this come to the top of the pile and thought I'd add in my bit. I can indeed confirm ITB lives in the same locality as some Alpaca's - he managed to point them out on the ride last weekend!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Some alpaca's what?
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    biondino wrote:
    Some alpaca's what?

Shoots, and leaves.
  • itboffin
    Today I saw dozens of ponies, several donkeys and some lamas

ca420481f76443aba52a395202ab778f.jpg
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I saw some rudeboyz on the Peckham/Nunhead borders who were on crap full sus MTBs who were deliberately riding & wheelying towards/into me and the other cycle commuters. They were mimicking pistols with their hands going "BLAM - BLAM".

I SHOUTED AT THEM AND THEY GOT OUT OF THE WAY.

But I've got to confess, I'm a little nervous about seeing them again...
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    I saw a few of these, Higland Buffalo!

Highland%20cattle%20Scotland%202.JPG

I love the one in the background!
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • itboffin
    Dusts this thread off

Lots of people (most likely blokes) floating in the sky on what looked like oversized kites :shock:

Whilst watch I was then attacked by a swarm off flies most unpleasant but clearly made folks in the car passing me happy :D
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    The strangest thing i,ve seen while out on the bike was probably last year. Out on the good bike round the coast road at a a good speed i could hear a sort of music in the distance there was a wind at the time and i was not sure exactly where the music was coming from car stereo or outdoor event i just could not place it. However about 500Metres further it did become quite clear that it was the sound of bagpipes, yes bagpipes here in the Netherlands. Suddenly as i went past a few storage depots i saw a man standing in the middle of a field surrounded by cattle playing his bloody bagpipes.He was quite good too. I stopped and listened for about a quarter of an hour till the man stopped, he then calmly walked to the gate put his bagpipes in the boot of his car and drove off. Before anybody asks, no i hadnt been drinking nor had i taken any illegal substances. It crossed my mind to ask the man why he was playing the bagpipes in the field but having thought about the reply that he might give decided against it.Have since seen the same man several times in the same field there are a few pipe bands here so he is probably just a member of a band and just practising. As a colleague of mine said if you were his wife would you want him practicing at home. Oh, my colleague has also seen him. :lol:
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    Excellent spot 8)

I did see a cormorant a wee while back, on the water of leith. I thought they were sea birds.
  • itboffin
    I have a friend who plays the pipes and the idea of sending him of to a remote field to practice has crossed our minds many times.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    itboffin wrote:
    I have a friend who plays the pipes and the idea of sending him of to a remote field to practice has crossed our minds many times.
    They edited out the scene in Braveheart where bagpipes are used as a weapon against the English, because it waas historically accurate.
  • ince
    ince Posts: 289
    I was looking for this thread the other day ....

... coming into work last tuesday morning aroung 7 am I see an old gent, 70's ish in a black suit, white shirt etc walking down the path towards me. As I get close i see he has a dead rabbit in one hand and tucked under the other arm is a live chicken :shock:

Not sure if that counts as a good night out or a bad morning..
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Yesterday in RP I saw a rather overweight couple sporting custom Serotta's - talk about going the whole hog. And this morning I passed a front susser equipped with Tri - bars :shock:

:lol:
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Yesterday in RP I saw a rather overweight couple sporting custom Serotta's - talk about going the whole hog. And this morning I passed a front susser equipped with Tri - bars :shock:

i've seen more than once a MTB with tri bars in RP, you do see some odd bikes around RP...
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Last week I saw...

1. A large buffalo-type cow thing like this: http://media.photobucket.com/image/thai ... loMilk.jpg

2. Lots of dead frogs

3. A large dead snail

4. A large dead snake.

1 - 4 were all in the middle of the road.... :shock:

We've got a lot of large dead stuff here in Hong Kong :D
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • itboffin
    Odd thing this evening on the way home, seems it was extra warm here today like 18+ no really no word of a lie anyway on the way home driving along the Bourne valley all the fields had this foot high mist which looked like low cloud, normally I'd see that on a warm spring morning.

Absolutely beautiful it was, that added to the amazing colours of late autumn with the already stunning countryside backdrop of my commute - damn I'm a lucky lucky man.

oh and lots of road kill too :D
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    itboffin wrote:
    Odd thing this evening on the way home, seems it was extra warm here today like 18+ no really no word of a lie anyway on the way home driving along the Bourne valley all the fields had this foot high mist which looked like low cloud, normally I'd see that on a warm spring morning.

Absolutely beautiful it was, that added to the amazing colours of late autumn with the already stunning countryside backdrop of my commute - damn I'm a lucky lucky man.

oh and lots of road kill too :D

It's time to stop drinking on the train :wink:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    itboffin wrote:
    I

alpacas.jpg

I'm sorry why have I just named three of those Alpacas, DDD, itboffin and Greg66 :shock: :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    NGale wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    I

alpacas.jpg

I'm sorry why have I just named three of those Alpacas, DDD, itboffin and Greg66 :shock: :lol:

But that can't be Greg - Greg is only ever seen encased in red or blue Assos.
  • itboffin
    That's what's under the fur mine naturally is wearing Castelli :wink:
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I'd like to think I've seen most grim things by the side of the road, but I was a bit shocked this morning to see a DILDO in the gutter!

At the traffic lights and not in the city centre either, in a fairly nice part of a small town, not all that far from where our esteemed mod lives. Weird.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017