Things you've seen out & about

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
I'm not sure about the rest of you but I sure do see some odd things when i'm out on the bike, not counting the road kill today I saw;

A badger alive and well in a field FFS I thought they're meant to be nocturnal, countless alpacas (see pic) and last week I saw two peacocks.

I always see assorted collections of footwear, where's that one glove collecting commuter when you need him? but today I also saw one bright orange swimming armband.

alpacas.jpg
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    I really, really want an alpaca...
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Are you on an acid trip?!

I have to come on one of your road trips, I get to see angry motorists in a queue, light aircraft and helicopters and on a really good day - someone walking their dog.

Although, on my long journey by the severn estuary I have seen the Marines on exercise in hovercraft......and a power station + the two bridges.

See very few animals though - aside the basic farm breeds.
  • itboffin
    whyamihere wrote:

I have no idea why but there are loads of them around here, I've seen more alpacas than cats & dogs - I was pretty damn surprised to see one in a neighbours garden, I thought it was a larma at first, seems they're good at keeping foxes away, like me they prob just stop and stare thinking WTF is that!?!?!

Do you think they taste good :lol:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    I'm not counting the military stuff I see after all I live on the edge of Salisbury plain.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I think they're bred for wool... funny looking things. And mean to boot.
  • gtvlusso
    They look like they are made from the same material as Fozzy Bear....
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    on bike not much, see loads of fox's in londonish. back in wales seen badgers etc, which do wander in the day, though most impressive is the merlins that rocket just off the lanes surface hoping for some song bird to cross it's path, you'll struggle to keep them in sight in a car.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    whyamihere wrote:

you could keep it under your bed :lol:

cool looking thing though.....
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    itboffin wrote:
    Countless alpacas (see pic) and last week I saw two peacocks.

alpacas.jpg

Countless? I'm pretty sure there are 5 in that pic.
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    I thought that picture was of cuddley animal toys, until I saw they were standing on straw and I went "bloody hell they are real!"
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • itboffin
    hisoka wrote:
    I thought that picture was of cuddley animal toys, until I saw they were standing on straw and I went "bloody hell they are real!"

Yep! that's what I did when I first cycled past one, I spent about 10 mins watching it rolling in the dirt & grass, i even had a quick look for cameras you never know it could be a hoax, nope they're everywhere.
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    Horses. They're everywhere here. The Police, Household Cavalry, and the eye candy on Rotten Row, where there's a ban on fat burds. :wink:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3129/258 ... 46.jpg?v=0
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Hey I saw two peacocks last week too!
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • itboffin
    linsen wrote:
    Hey I saw two peacocks last week too!

Spooky :wink:
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Depending on my commute route I often see a Llama, lots of Roe Deer, occasionally Fallow Deer, Muntjac Deer, fox, very occasionally a live badger, Shire horses, Highland Cattle and kamakazi squirrels who like to run at my front spokes when I am doing 25+mph.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    My commute seems booring by comparison, only a few farm animals and no military vehicles.

I was given a hell of a shock the other night by a horse who decided to stick his head over the fence as I went past though. It was pitch black at the time, all I was aware of was this large shape looming at me :shock:

Just wait untill we get the 50ft white horse outside Ebbsfleet station, that'll beat everything!!!!!!!!!
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I was out cycling one time and got to the top of a real bitch of a hill where I stopped for a quick drink.

As I'm standing there looking out over the Trent valley I hear a noise behind me and a fox has popped out the woods and is sitting on its haunches no more than 5' away. Just looking at me in a calm way, no aggression or anything.

So I said "Morning Mr Fox" and it tilted its head at me, still with this calm look. I put the bottle back and then said "Goodbye then Mr Fox" at which point it stood up and padded off as I cycled away.

I was up on Cannock Chase one time and got scared absolutely witless as four deer shot across the road in front of me. All in a line and I barely missed the last one.

I saw a couple going it at hammer and tongs in a field one summer. I could see this flashing light (or so I thought) off to one side and it wasn't until I got closer I realised that it was this bare arse bouncing up and down :lol:

I gave an almightly YEEHAH!!! as I went past and these two got the fright of their lives :D

Then there was the time I was hiding from the most almightly thunderstorm I have ever seen (after coming down off Cannock Chase) and saw a barm get hit by a lightening bolt and the whole damn roof get blown off. That was seriously cool. What wasn't so good was the tree no more than 100 yards away and only just up the hill get hit. It went off like a cannon and left me and my mate trembling in fear.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I nearly ran over a pair of frogs the other night, only just avoided them with a massive bunnyhop...
  • I had a group of 5 red kites circling above me on a hilly ride in the Wharfe valley on Sunday. I probably smelt like carrion by that point.
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    I had a group of 5 red kites circling above me on a hilly ride in the Wharfe valley on Sunday. I probably smelt like carrion by that point.

They circle over the Watlington Mini Ramp when I skate there, they must know how bad I am.

I forgot I had a Barn Owl fly along beside me the other night. It was only 20ft away and totally silent.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I saw a renault 5 upside down in a ditch a few months ago. That's about the weirdest thing, apart from a reasonable amount of livestock and people having picnics.
  • mcmullej
    mcmullej Posts: 136
    Near Whipsnade a few weeks back, the hillside is covered in snow and there's a wave of grey lumps hopping along in a sort of dance, kicking up the snow as they go. Wallabies I think. Very cool.

Coming around a corner on a narrow lane near Redbourn I see a couple of hunters (Barbours, flat caps, big guns) emerge from the ditch on the right and cross the road into the field on the left. I carry on around the next corner just in time to see a stream of middle size birds silently waddle across the road in the other direction and make good their escape into the field the hunters had just left.

Deep in Sleapshyde woods at dusk, I catch sight of an enormous zebra moving through the trees off to my left. On closer examination it was couple of horses wearing black and white striped blanket-things. It had been a long cold afternoon.
  • pllb
    pllb Posts: 158
    Many many Red Kites around my neck of the woods, also ride past an Ostrich farm (not exactly native to the Chilterns). Also saw a mass migration of tiny (baby) frogs crossing a very quiet road in North Wales, they were almost carpeting the road, impossible to avoid crushing a few, went over them at pace and only noticed when it was too late to stop :cry:
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I nearly ran over a pair of frogs the other night, only just avoided them with a massive bunnyhop...

jings! how big were the frogs?

:wink:
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • I occasionally have suicidal muntjack deer running out in front of me!
    Those things are solid, I hit one in my car years ago & needed a new wing,light, A/C
    radaitor & normal radiator, I know who would come off worse if I did hit one on my bike :(
    My commute includes about 1/2 mile of cycle path past Mildenhall USAF base. If I time it wrong I sometimes have an enormous galaxy transporter coming in to land about 100ft.
    above me :shock: You can feel the vibration in the road!
  • My commute is flippin boring by comparison. Cathcart to Glasgow city centre. Plenty of wildlife at Queens Park but mostly foxes, dogs and neds. Entertainment always guaranteed on Victoria Road with fantastic displays of 'instant' parking. Then there's the M74 extension build and the brightly coloured workie warbler. Ra Gorbals (whats left of it) needs little description (and you won't get one as this is where my average speed spikes significantly - at least till I reach the Citizens Theatre). Then of course there is the river embankment - mmm should have its own tv show - have only been cycling to work six months and in that time have seen one attempted suicide (badly crafted to be fair), multiple early morning wino fights, countless neds armed with 'whatever to hand and throwable' and, of course, the evening shaggers thinking an overcoat covers all. It really doesn't. Well, not her legs at any rate. At least his pimply arse was well hidden or I would have brought back my lunch. Entertaining nonetheless - roll on the better weather and its significant increase in nutters :-)

Food Chain Eight
    Nine If A Beardy

But I Don't Race :-)

I have a silver bike with plastic bits and a bell !
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    I couldn't get home a week or so ago due to this:
    http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/guardia ... ticle.html

Was very spooky, had to go the long way round then the next evening there were about 10 teenagers moping around there laying flowers, very spooky. I'd much rather a suicidal beast i think :(

Other than that i rarely see anything of note.
  • gtvlusso
    I see this:

IMG_1054.jpg

Every morning!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I saw a car on its side yesterday

the other weekend I saw a vineyard....
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    cee wrote:

jings! how big were the frogs?

:wink:

There were two perfectly in line with my direction of travel, and about a foot apart, so needed the height to get the distance. 8)