Things you've seen out & about

Comments

• cheehee
    cheehee Posts: 427
    cee wrote:
    I nearly ran over a pair of frogs the other night, only just avoided them with a massive bunnyhop...

jings! how big were the frogs?

:wink:

There were two perfectly in line with my direction of travel, and about a foot apart, so needed the height to get the distance. 8)

They aren't the tallest nationality I don't think...................
  • RyanB
    RyanB Posts: 116
    I like this thread
  • The occasional urban fox is the closest I get to wildlife.
  • cheehee
    cheehee Posts: 427
    The occasional urban fox is the closest I get to wildlife.

not 'the crack fox' :shock:
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    I see many many big fat pigs every time I cycle to work

And once I saw a barn owl on the way home

I even saw another cyclist once, too
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • Mostly sane - quite a few urban foxes and gray squirrels, a road-kill Bambi and if I take the canal route a whole range of wild birds, inc the occassional white swan peleton.

I have seen a cow on a busy A road but I was on the bus rather than the bike so I guess that doesn't count.

I'll resist the obvious gag about seeing a lot of genitalia in motor vehicles

I occassionally see stars - as I'm approaching the top of a hill, accompanied by a heavy breathing noise and a feeling of dizziness - I'm guessing it must be an attempted alien abduction rather than the obvious exhaustion that affects mere mortals.

I'm pretty sure I've just caught site of the Hand of God tipping the road to ensure that it is always uphill no matter what direction I'm travelling

(nice thread btw)
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    I have seen birds of prey, two unicyclists (on the same say in two entirely different areas), a challenger tank (I think) being unloaded off a trailer around the back of a thai restaurant with soldiers too (tackling illegals? :lol: ).,. loads of stuff
  • Route 47 & 4, South Wales. Mainly canal towpath.

Every day: Ducks, coots and swans.

Often: Herons, standing at the canal bank looking for fish. One doesn't even bother moving; I keep my speed down and pass him at a distance no more than 2 to 3 feet.

Occasionally: Kingfishers. Fantastic sight of brilliant blue flashing down the canal. Foxes. Cats. Buzzards.

Just the once: I swear, I saw a mink. It ran across the path then jumped in the canal.
  • boy on bike
    boy on bike Posts: 139
    itboffin wrote:
    linsen wrote:
    Hey I saw two peacocks last week too!

Spooky :wink:

Maybe it's the season for peacocks... I'm pretty sure I saw a couple last week as well. Warmer weather or summat.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Didn't see it myself but my Sefton Park training loop was blocked by an unexploded World War 2 bomb a few days ago :shock:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpoo ... -23042576/

The_unexploded_WWII_bomb_found_in_Sefton_Park_lake_picture_taken_by_reader_Maia_Vangen_200_162123628.jpg

(looks like a rusty exhaust pipe to me!)
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    My commute is flippin boring by comparison. Cathcart to Glasgow city centre. Plenty of wildlife at Queens Park but mostly foxes, dogs and neds. Entertainment always guaranteed on Victoria Road. ...
    Inexplicably, you seem to have missed out the drug addled Morlocks:

morlocks-2.jpg

I once saw police chase. Twelve constables chasing a ner'do well across some fields. Apart from the helicopter, and being in colour, it was a scene straight out of The Thirty Nine Steps. Very bizzare!
    I nearly ran over a pair of frogs the other night, only just avoided them with a massive bunnyhop...
    You're a top man, RW. There's a packet of custard creams in the post.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    linsen wrote:
    I see many many big fat pigs every time I cycle to work

And once I saw a barn owl on the way home

I even saw another cyclist once, too

I hope you scalped BoB :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I saw a car on its side yesterday

the other weekend I saw a vineyard....

What in London ???
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    I just remembered a couple of summers ago whilst cycling in the Savernake I came across two perfect sets of clothes hanging on a branch underwear and all, god I was tempted to hide them :twisted:
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    They had the National Gallery lit up the other night on my way home, got this picture:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_un216YlID08/S ... lerySM.JPG
  • iain_j wrote:
    Didn't see it myself but my Sefton Park training loop was blocked by an unexploded World War 2 bomb a few days ago :shock:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpoo ... -23042576/

The_unexploded_WWII_bomb_found_in_Sefton_Park_lake_picture_taken_by_reader_Maia_Vangen_200_162123628.jpg

(looks like a rusty exhaust pipe to me!)

Ah, when I was first getting back on my bike for longer weekend rides I used to go along the River Lea and one weekend it was blocked off as they discovered an unexploded WWII bomb when dredging a part of the river for the Olympic development near Bow.
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Hehe, all these unexploded bombs seem to be found during some kind of heavy mechanical work... I don't know what the chances of such a bomb going off would be after all these years but I bet the dredger operator is feeling lucky!

That Sefton Park one, a few years ago they spent millions bringing the dilapidated Palm House back to life and they've just started a multi-million pound revamp of the park itself... so this one could have worked out quite expensive!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    itboffin wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

What in London ???

yeah the car was in london on the A21 caused quite a backlog of traffic
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • itboffin
    Clever Pun wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

What in London ???

yeah the car was in london on the A21 caused quite a backlog of traffic

I was talking about the vineyard :lol:

Today more alpacas and two turkeys aren't they a Christmas thing?
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Arrived at Fenchurch St station the other day as I do every morning to meet a dude with a penny farthing taking his bike off the train as I was going on. Bizarre.
  • itboffin
    Six totally mental cyclist wearing summer clothes riding in a gale & blizzard, crazy fools :lol:
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Yesterday I saw small people being blown over by the wind!
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Crapaud : you seem to have missed out the drug addled Morlocks

Ah - forgot th mention the delightful vistas of Govanhill :shock:

Food Chain Eight
    Nine If A Beardy

But I Don't Race :-)

I have a silver bike with plastic bits and a bell !
  • My commute is flippin boring by comparison. Cathcart to Glasgow city centre. Plenty of wildlife at Queens Park but mostly foxes, dogs and neds. Entertainment always guaranteed on Victoria Road with fantastic displays of 'instant' parking. Then there's the M74 extension build and the brightly coloured workie warbler. Ra Gorbals (whats left of it) needs little description (and you won't get one as this is where my average speed spikes significantly - at least till I reach the Citizens Theatre). Then of course there is the river embankment - mmm should have its own tv show - have only been cycling to work six months and in that time have seen one attempted suicide (badly crafted to be fair), multiple early morning wino fights, countless neds armed with 'whatever to hand and throwable' and, of course, the evening shaggers thinking an overcoat covers all. It really doesn't. Well, not her legs at any rate. At least his pimply ars* was well hidden or I would have brought back my lunch. Entertaining nonetheless - roll on the better weather and its significant increase in nutters :-)

You should get a helmet cam, that lot would make a change from the usual close passes posted on youtube. :wink:
  • itboffin
    There's some very strange people 'round thez parts

3349235920_55e37d05e1.jpg
  • salsajake
    salsajake Posts: 702
    have seen 3 badgers ruffling about in the verge together at dusk and go past a farm which often has bats around it - in fact I hit a bat, or it hit me, on the arm. Thats how fast I was going, even a bat couldn't get out of my way!
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Does anyone else get used as a beater by Barn Owls? They fly parallel to you over the hedge lines occasionally dropping the far side of the hedge to see if you flush anything from the hedge. It's amazing to watch
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Does anyone else get used as a beater by Barn Owls? They fly parallel to you over the hedge lines occasionally dropping the far side of the hedge to see if you flush anything from the hedge. It's amazing to watch

Yes, I've seen this, never occurred to me that that's what they were doing though, cor!
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Today I saw donkeys, llamas, cows and ponies. Even saw three cyclists all kitted out in matching bling.
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I've hit bats before, fucking scarey the first time...