Paul Kimmage rattles Laid back Lance!!

Comments

• lance-armstrong.jpg
    :wink::wink:
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    dennisn wrote:
    I'm sure it doesn't seem odd to you to keep track of Lance and his comings and goings.

Yes, I have a few things filed away on my computer but they are generally things
    that I LIKE, not things that enrage me or that I hate. That doesn't sound like much of a life at all. Every day waking up and the first thing you think about is what Lance said or did
    while you slept?

Dennis Noward

Doesn't seem that different to you coming on this forum every day to tell us all how full of envy and hatred we are. I mean, you clearly don't like this forum - remind us again how many times you've threatened to leave for good?
  • dennisn wrote:
    aurelio wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    You hear stories about obsessive fans who stalk various celebrities, movie stars, athletes, and the like. These peoples lives seem to hinge on every little detail and utterance of the object of their obsession. Just curious if anyone else keeps track or records of this kind of thing?
    What, you mean like the 140,000 + people who have signed up to Armstrong's 'twitter' feed? :roll:

The question was "how many people keep this kind of "stuff" on file"? :wink::wink:

Dennis Noward

No I don't do that, but I have saved everyone of you posts!! :shock: :)

Very heavy reading I must say.
  • There's nothing wrong with keeping a log of websites or data as Aurelio does.

For some people it's just a fascinating subject but consider, there use to be the website

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showth ... ?p=1497812 "Investigate Lance" which might have had one partly outrageous aim to want congress to investigate Lance Armstrong.

But that website referenced on that website is now down and a lot of it was boiled down information summarised here.

One wonders why it is down and there is probably a similar reason SU13, that is Stolen Underground has been taken down too, though, that web author and former cyclist American Matt De Canio seems to be an erratic personality.

So, when one realises this info is often kept from us by litigation, there isn't anything wrong with citing quotations. I mean, Lance and his lawyers took on English languaged newspapers but wasn't quite up to taking on L'Equipe though French laws is certainly more lax in this aspect.

At bicycling.com, the forums for the magazine that has been around for decades, there is one gentleman from the rocky mountain state of Colorado and again you can call it hearsay but the story he crafts is he rode in a race including among many others against Armstrong in approximately 1990. The story he tells is how and maybe you racers understand this, only certain gearing on bicycles was allowed for this race and that after the race was over, the young Armstrong quickly whisked his bicycle away quickly so it or the gearing could not be inspected. I find the story interesting in that it has nothing to do with using substances.

In the book "It's not about the bike"; Lance claims he's an atheist, then upon winning the Tour De France, says in that one known quote: "I"m sorry some of you don't believe in miracles..." and okay, I can see these two aspects as not being totally mutually exclusive but it still gives me time to pause.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    rockmount wrote:
    lance-armstrong.jpg

Great Pic. If we had to have an escaped-punishment, World Champs winning, top TTiing, doping hangover back, why oh why couldn't it be big Jan :cry:

At least he was funny...

Strava is not Zen.
  • It's becoming increasingly obvious who the real dopers are around here !!!

http://web4health.info/en/answers/add-cannabis-paranoia.htm

It is supposed to be bike racing forum after all. The paranoia evident in the anti LA posts is quite remarkable, must be something causing it.

A hater relaxes >>
    spliff.jpg
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    calvjones wrote:

Great Pic. If we had to have an escaped-punishment, World Champs winning, top TTiing, doping hangover back, why oh why couldn't it be big Jan :cry:

At least he was funny...

Yeh but he wouldn't provoke half the controversy that LA gets. It amazes me, reading these comments, how folk on both sides seem to analyse everything he says and does. For me, I've gone from hero worship to interested spectator since joining this site, still not sure what to make of the man, I'll only believe what I know to be true.

Great debate though, mostly well researched comments.
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • afx237vi
    edited February 2009
    Robmanic1 wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

At least he was funny...

Yeh but he wouldn't provoke half the controversy that LA gets. It amazes me, reading these comments, how folk on both sides seem to analyse everything he says and does. For me, I've gone from hero worship to interested spectator since joining this site, still not sure what to make of the man, I'll only believe what I know to be true.

Great debate though, mostly well researched comments.

There wouldn't be the same controversy because there wouldn't be the same band of hardcore fanatics who believe he was clean despite the overwhelming evidence to prove otherwise.

Jan had a lot of fans during his career, including me, but I doubt many of his fans still believe he rode clean.
  • Robmanic1 wrote:
    .. I'll only believe what I know to be true..
    ...what a wonderful idea, it will just never l never catch on here !!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    afx237vi wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    I'm sure it doesn't seem odd to you to keep track of Lance and his comings and goings.

Yes, I have a few things filed away on my computer but they are generally things
    that I LIKE, not things that enrage me or that I hate. That doesn't sound like much of a life at all. Every day waking up and the first thing you think about is what Lance said or did
    while you slept?

Dennis Noward

Doesn't seem that different to you coming on this forum every day to tell us all how full of envy and hatred we are. I mean, you clearly don't like this forum - remind us again how many times you've threatened to leave for good?

I did all of that just to give all of you Lance slammers at least an idea of what it feels like
    to be put down on a daily basis. Nothing personal, although it was intended to sound that way at times. Most everyone, who felt I was talking about them, jumped right back into
    my sh*t for it. It was expected by me. Imagine that. People don't like that kind of thing.
    Anyway, that's all it is. Tit for tat, you get what you give, or however that goes. Seems
    fair to me.
    For those of you that thrive on hatred you now have two you can hate. Lance and myself. More is better, right?

Dennis Noward
  • dennisn wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

while you slept?

Dennis Noward

I did all of that just to give all of you Lance slammers at least an idea of what it feels like
    to be put down on a daily basis. Nothing personal, although it was intended to sound that way at times. Most everyone, who felt I was talking about them, jumped right back into
    my sh*t for it. It was expected by me. Imagine that. People don't like that kind of thing.
    Anyway, that's all it is. Tit for tat, you get what you give, or however that goes. Seems
    fair to me.
    For those of you that thrive on hatred you now have two you can hate. Lance and myself. More is better, right?

Dennis Noward

Youre not interesting enough to hate Dennis.
  • afx237vi
    dennisn wrote:
    fair to me.

Dennis Noward

You know what a troll is, right, Dennis? Because you just gave the textbook definition of one.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    edited February 2009
    rockmount wrote:
    lance-armstrong.jpg

I get it Rockmount.
    It's Lance showing just how big his blacklist file is. (too small for his ego) :wink:

Dennis: You have the 10,000 times you have typed the word "Lance" , on this forum, stored on your computer. Or doesn't that count? :P

Now, why not give Aurelio first 4 links a quick read?
    markwalker wrote:

What's not to like? He stirs the pot and I find his posts amusing.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Well it WAS an interesting and well researched debate :wink:
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • aurelio_-_banned
    aurelio_-_banned Posts: 1,317
    edited February 2009
    dennisn wrote:
    For those of you that thrive on hatred you now have two you can hate. Lance and myself.
    What really makes me chuckle about the way Armstrong's 'Faith is blind' disciples claim that his detractors are motivated by 'hatred', is that the object of their own adoration is himself fuelled by high-octane hatred and a desire to wreak vengeance on all those who he sees as ever having slighted him. Armstrong even openly admits to this himself!
  • aurelio wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    For those of you that thrive on hatred you now have two you can hate. Lance and myself.
    What really makes me chuckle about the way Armstrong's 'Faith is blind' disciples claim that his detractors are motivated by 'hatred', is that the object of their own adoration is himself fuelled by high-octane hatred and a desire to wreak vengeance on all those who see as ever having slighted him. Armstrong even openly admits to this himself!

Are you sure it's not "The Joker" you're thinking of ???

joker-heath-ledger.jpg
  • rockmount wrote:
    Robmanic1 wrote:
    .. I'll only believe what I know to be true..
    ...what a wonderful idea, it will just never l never catch on here !!

I get the impression this is somehow meant to add credence to your point of view.
    I'm afraid it doesn't.
    The truth would catch on, if everybody knew what it was.
  • The truth would catch on, if everybody knew what it was.
    ..and you do ? :lol:
  • dennisn
    markwalker wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

while you slept?

Dennis Noward

fair to me.

Dennis Noward

Damn, well I try. :wink::wink:

Dennis Noward
  • rockmount wrote:
    Are you sure it's not "The Joker" you're thinking of ???
    Certain...

“You know, when I first came back, in ’98, ’99, there was a huge revenge factor,” he explains.

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/featu ... rong200809

The recently retired seven-times Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong has said that he is "contemplating a comeback". Armstrong admitted a return to racing would be his way of responding to allegations in the French newspaper L'Equipe that he used a banned substance, EPO, to win his first Tour de France.

"I'm thinking it's the best way to piss the French off."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/gene ... tion=Popup

Etc. Etc.

Then consider his treatment of Bassons, Simeoni and so on.
  • dennisn
    rockmount wrote:

Of course they do rockmount. Just ask them.

Dennis Noward
  • dennisn wrote:
    rockmount wrote:

Of course they do rockmount. Just ask them.

Dennis Noward
    I think they may have misinterpreted Einstein, when he said "Imagination is more important than knowledge" ...

einstein-imagination-poster.jpg
    :lol:
  • rockmount wrote:
    I wish!

einstein-imagination-poster.jpg
    Doc Ferrari's dad.
    "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal..............so, that's where I come in.....mama mia!"
  • dennisn
    aurelio wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    What really makes me chuckle about the way Armstrong's 'Faith is blind' disciples claim that his detractors are motivated by 'hatred', is that the object of their own adoration is himself fuelled by high-octane hatred and a desire to wreak vengeance on all those who he sees as ever having slighted him. Armstrong even openly admits to this himself!

There is a saying here in the states and maybe across the pond also. Goes like this,
    "I'm just jerking your chain". Does that explain things? I can't make it much clearer than that.

Dennis Noward.
  • They shouldn't think anyone is hating anyone.

In a way, with this foundation and claims, maybe Lance is inviting scrutiny.

Look at Usain Bolt, he keeps a real low profile but if he were breaking records or winning titles every year and had a high profile with the public it might be a different story.

Also, just in regards to Kimmage's remarks, there could even be a correlation with testicular cancer and the use of certain pharmaceuticals and tests Lance took months previous to the discovery of his testicular cancer should have/could have detected abnormalities in the samples indicative of a problem. Nobody wants to be ruthless or unsympathetic to LA or cancer, just truthful.

I don't know what is the proper metaphor, pulling the cat's tail or stirring up the hornets nest.
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    aurelio wrote:
    Once again Lionel Birnie hits the nail on the head...

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/The ... 77286.html

You haven't really grasped copyright yet have you? I think most people are pretty capable of clicking on a link without the need to infringe a rival company's copyright material.
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    Kléber wrote:
    Dennis, not being on friendly terms with some is normal, blocking people from attending press conferences and refusing to talk to accredited journalists is another, as is threatening some journalists that if they ask the wrong questions, they will be added to the list and potentially depriving them of their livelihood.

Er, no, that's pretty normal barring journalists from press conferences, restricting access, blanking them, trying to have them isolated by their peers. Trust me, it happens in every line of journalism I've ever encountered. Stretches from no comment to actively undermining people by flat out calling them liars.

There's a list of several top flight football managers in the UK alone who have barred certain mainstream media organisations from their press conferences on occasion for whatever reasons and refuse to talk to them other than where contractually obliged to.

If you want to bounce that ball about in Westminster, it's a bit like knocking over skittles in an earthquake zone.

As for business, it's laughably common. I know people who've been struck off press lists for simply giving products a less than glowing review.

Movie and entertainment companies regularly avoid preview screenings/copies to stop critics panning absolute dross before it reaches the public.

So all in, it's pretty darned common in very line of the journalistic business.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Just out of interest is Dr. Michele Ferrari still around?? :twisted:

Back on point. I have read Kimmages book and yes it is quite hate ridden, but perhaps that was because he was in love with cycling and saw what it was like and when he realised he was not good enough even with the drugs had to have a career doing something else, and writing about what he saw is what he chose to do. Yes his comment could have been better phrased though.

Dear Lance needs to start publicly slamming people who do drugs, he reticence to do this means he always sends out a mixed message. Why does he hold back? I personally believe he is a little cloudy in terms of past history but if he truly has nothing to hide he should state his hatred for all those using drugs.

Me I don't regard Tom Simpson as anythign other than a tragic figure, but one that showed there was a major problem not being dealt with by the UCI.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • symo wrote:
    Just out of interest is Dr. Michele Ferrari still around?? :twisted:

Back on point. I have read Kimmages book and yes it is quite hate ridden, but perhaps that was because he was in love with cycling and saw what it was like and when he realised he was not good enough even with the drugs had to have a career doing something else, and writing about what he saw is what he chose to do. Yes his comment could have been better phrased though.

Dear Lance needs to start publicly slamming people who do drugs, he reticence to do this means he always sends out a mixed message. Why does he hold back? I personally believe he is a little cloudy in terms of past history but if he truly has nothing to hide he should state his hatred for all those using drugs.

Me I don't regard Tom Simpson as anythign other than a tragic figure, but one that showed there was a major problem not being dealt with by the UCI.

I agree with most of this, I know the basics about TS but I'd need to read more.

It just occurred to me, Lance didn't like what Kimmage wrote;

I would think then, it would be within the French Cycling Federations rights to likewise say, "Who are you?" and ".... you aren't worth the space on the chair you are sitting on."

Right, this is but one example after Zidane's antics (i.e. headbutt for the uninitiated) in the World Cup final with Armstrong's joke on the ESPN Espy's awards: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2006/ju ... rdefrance2 which can be read there and is listed at wikipedia as well.

But I understand, he's said or done other stuff; which there is no reason to delve into but one could say this is a bit of the pot calling the kettle black or the shoe being on the other foot.

I can see humour in what he said but an insult is an insult all the same, a personal remark is just that as well.

We can make jokes about this but really, international football especially has handfuls of examples of questionable play, acts and everything: that many countries could be insulted in this manner. Not too wise imho; let alone say it about every player.
  • symo wrote:
    Just out of interest is Dr. Michele Ferrari still around?
    Yes...

http://www.53x12.com

Although claiming that 'I don't work with him'. Armstrong recently admitted that he still has a close 'friendship' with Ferrrari. I quote:

I've been very open that he is a close friend of mine, I'm friends with his wife and family. I'm not going to kick friends out of my life.'

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/Lan ... 73248.html