Pro Tour Pundit 2009

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    scwxx77 wrote:
    Thanks, AFX. Is there such a thing as the scorers curse? I seem to have dropped like a stone in the standings since doing a bit of scoring.

Seeing as I haven't been anywhere near the top 10 for two years, yes, I'm definitely blaming a scorers curse :shock:
  • Continuing my run of top ten finishes there 8)

Thanks afx, much enjoyed the fruits of all your hard work again, looking forward to 2010 already.
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    afx237vi wrote:

Seeing as I haven't been anywhere near the top 10 for two years, yes, I'm definitely blaming a scorers curse :shock:

You were 11th this year, that's fairly near the top 10!
    Thanks for all the work you put in, it's been another good one.
    & congrats to FJS.

My target was top 20 & I scraped in by 8 points after a decent showing in the World Champs, so quite pleased...
  • NicFrance
    NicFrance Posts: 256
    Thank you very much afx for the phantastic work you did.
    Congratulations to all top ten scorers.
    And thank you to everyone who played. I really appreciated this PTP-thing and i am already looking forward to next season.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    Great fun, thanks for all your efforts Mr Afx.

Looking forward to next year already!
    Half man, Half bike
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Just came back from a weekend without internet, so I missed this nailbiting finale, but obviously delighted, and slightly baffled by the impossible coincidence of Evans getting me the most minimal margin possible. So thanks Cadel for sprinting for it, and Damiano for sitting up.
    In a way a fitting end of what was a very tight and entertaining race all year, getting tighter every race at the end. Really enjoyed the long battle with andyp, with Kleber and thomasmc making it very exciting towards the end.
    Thanks afx for organizing it. Ready for next year!
  • thomasmc
    thomasmc Posts: 814
    Thanks again afx for all your hard work! Congrats to FJS on your win and also to andyp & Kleber for your podium positions.

Its gonna be a long winter till Het Volk :(
  • Hi,

Still amazed that I finished in the top 20! Many thanks afx for the time and effort you've put in this year :D
  • alanmcn1
    alanmcn1 Posts: 531
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I held onto top 10 place............9th is alright by me
    Robert Millar for knighthood
  • victorponf
    victorponf Posts: 1,187
    Thanks for your work AFX (in a spare moment i will put the final Top Ten o GT, Tour and !day races)

Congratulations FJS!
    If you like Flandes, Roubaix or Eroica, you would like GP Canal de Castilla, www.gpcanaldecastilla.com
  • Thanks very much Mr afx, yuour work does not go amiss.

Well done FJS, nice to see a Sheffield boy doing well.
  • Thanks Afx, made this season so much more intresting. First Race next year should TdU, and im not saying that just because im from adelaide but becasue then theres like 3 and half months till PTP starts again :D
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Thanks again AFX - this forum wouldn't be the same without PTP. Have a virtual pint for all your hard work!

pint_beer.jpg

Congrats also to FJS, andyp and Kleber for topping the podium.

Managed to scrape into 5th for the 2nd year running - Mr Consistent! :lol:
  • afx237vi
    Thanks Afx, made this season so much more intresting. First Race next year should TdU, and im not saying that just because im from adelaide but becasue then theres like 3 and half months till PTP starts again :D

I can see it now...

GC - Greipel
    Stage 1 - Greipel
    Stage 2 - Greipel
    Stage 3 - Greipel
    Stage 4 - Greipel
    Stage 5 - Greipel

:shock:
  • Aren't Cav Wiggo and Evans doing it next year ;)
  • And that would have made it intresting because he crashed out reasonable early. If you look at the pre Pro Tour years it was reasonable open unpredictable event. Its only because the teams bring a full list and the course hasnt been designed with that in mind that its become bunch sprints every stage, breaks did last pre PT. I might be wrong but i think this years course suits a both, like i said i just want it on there so i dont have to wait till March to play PTP again :wink: Other than that is ToC beggining in May next year or is it the year after that?
  • afx237vi
    Yeah the ToC is in May from 2010. I don't know if we're going to include it because of the Giro clash. Het Volk next year is the 27th February.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    afx237vi wrote:

GC - Greipel
    Stage 1 - Greipel
    Stage 2 - Greipel
    Stage 3 - Greipel
    Stage 4 - Greipel
    Stage 5 - Greipel

:shock:

I think Cav said he's planning on doing next year (as Renshaw's lead out man)

Anyway a belated thanks to Afx for the whole season.

I was sure I'd already posted that, along with comments about how I used to be top ten material and now I'm in the autobus, punditry at two speeds etc.

But clearly I didn't.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Thanks for all your hard work running this competition afx :)
  • victorponf
    FINAL TOP TENS 2009

Tours (París - Niza, Basque Country, Romandía...)

1 andyp 571

2 mididoctors 532
    3 graham56 531
    4 thomasmc 520
    5 Kléber 504
    6 scwxx77 496
    7 victorponf 492
    8 Bronzie 491
    9 FJS 449
    10 Rhods 439

GT (Giro, Tour and Vuelta)

1 Kléber 589

2 FJS 587
    3 andyp 560
    4 Cumulonimbus 556
    5 thomasmc 547
    6 mididoctors 538
    7 Cheshire_Cat 525
    8 GroupOfOne 525
    9 NervexProf 521
    10 graham56 514

1 DAY RACES (Roubaix, Lieja, World...)

1 FJS 367

2 Bronzie 335
    3 scwxx77 315
    4 alanmcn1 315
    5 Richrd2205 315
    6 thomasmc 297
    7 Kléber 295
    8 Timoid 295
    9 Noodley 280
    10 TakeTheHighRoad 280
    If you like Flandes, Roubaix or Eroica, you would like GP Canal de Castilla, www.gpcanaldecastilla.com
  • Wow I was Top 10 in something at least! How the hell did I manage that?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Ooh, a GT win.

I started 2009 with a stupid
    mistake, picking VDV for California. I wanted him to win but when playing PTP, the idea is
    to choose the winner... not the contender you'd like to see triumph. I didn't play in past years as I knew it would mean fretting about picks and wondering mid-race who'd picked who etc and I was right. A bit like gambling, PTP can make the racing more fun.

One final thing, for the staff here. I you don't already, what about giving AFX a free subscription to Pro Cycling?
  • afx237vi
    Nice one Victor. I must have been just outside the top 10 in all disciplines... but hey, at least I'm consistent :lol:
    Kléber wrote:
    One final thing, for the staff here. I you don't already, what about giving AFX a free subscription to Pro Cycling?

Cheers, but I would prefer it if FJS got something (anything?) that was being offered. He did win, after all.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    afx237vi wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

Cheers, but I would prefer it if FJS got something (anything?) that was being offered. He did win, after all.
    Noooo, that wouldn't be right, especially not with the flimsy margin I had at the end.
    Like Kleber says, for me the PTP makes watching some otherwise boring races interesting, and is just a lot of fun. You do the hard work, and attract people to the forum. Get afx that subscription!
    (now if we would be talking about a new Colnago frame as prize, I might reconsider ;) )
  • I agree, what would have this years Tour been without PTP to keep everyone intrested :wink: Afx deserves at the very least a subscription for the effort he has put in this year ( and previous years ) it certainly keeps me coming back to the forum.
  • afx237vi
    *shrugs*

a) I have as much fun organising PTP as everyone else seems to have playing it.

b) We're talking about a hypothetical prize anyway, although I would like to have one for the winner next year.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Just had a look at the final standings for the first time. Happy with 15th after such a rubbish first half of the season.

Thanks Afx for all your efforts. Bring on PTP 2010!
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • victorponf
    is going to be a 2010 edition?

Thanks
  • afx237vi
    victorponf wrote:
    is going to be a 2010 edition?

Thanks

Of course! I'll take a look at the calendar in the next few days and post a provisional schedule.
  • victorponf
    Great news!