Anybody like to lose a stone by March?

13»

Comments

• I assume you mean e-mail addy,so I've PM's it to you.

Have we got plans to try and put a ride together at some point?
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    I'm doing the Cheshire Cat too...

That's my target, before I try my hand at racing...

Racing doesn't grip me, the idea of sportives (setting own targets etc) does. I always said I want to ride an etape by the time I'm 40,so with a successful year this year then I might go for 2010 (when I will be 40) for an etape entry.
  • steve-m
    steve-m Posts: 106
    bluecow wrote:
    I need to shed a few excess pounds. Not loads, just the lingering spare tyre that is holding me back.
    And since theres nothing like a bit of competition to get things going, does anybody want to join me on a little weight loss challenge? Im aiming to achieve my goal by the start of March so i'll be fighting fit for the sportive season, so thats less than 2 pounds a week, very reasonable i think.
    Maybe a forfeit for the loser?
    Preferably someone in the North West but it doesnt really matter.
    If it helps, im female. :)

A stone is about right for my target weight, I currently weigh in at 80kg (less weighed before Xmas), and would like to be 74/75 kg. Am 181cms.

Plan is to start running again which sheds pounds.
    Fixed, commute: Langster 08, FCN6
    Road : Aravis (byercycles) Shimano 105 triple
    Hybrid: Trek 7.2 FX, unused / unloved
  • Well I have entered the Mad march hare and cheshire cat sportives in march.... so a stone lighter by then would be good....

Starting stats:

6'2" and 15st 5 (my jaw dropped too when the display just came up!! ) :oops:

although weighing in the evening is supposed to add a few pounds :?
  • brit66
    brit66 Posts: 350
    I'm 5' 11'' and weigh 13st.1b and my target is to loose about 3/4 st in the next 3 months.

My regime for the last 2 weeks has been a 20 min erg each lunchtime at work. My target is getting my current 1:59 split down to about 1:52.
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    edited January 2009
    Well, I'm aiming to lose about a stone in January/February, then another one in March/April and a third one in May/June :wink: !

I'm starting up my personal flab-watch blog this week. Nothing else has worked, so I'm now hoping that the threat of full-scale public humiliation does the trick...

I'll put a link to the site in my signature line soon.

Looking at some of the earlier posts and the limited weight losses some of you are aiming for, there must be some really tall or chunky blokes out there! I'm 6' 1" and I would have said that I am naturally a biggish medium build and I'm borderline obese at my current weight of about 15 st 10 lbs (I've put 13 inches on round my waist :eek:!). I'm very flabby between 14 st and 15 st, and a bit overweight between 13 st and 14 st. I don't get anywhere near slim until I'm 12 st something!

PS

I'm 6' 1", 15 st 10 lbs, aiming for 12 st 8 lbs, that's a 3 st 2 pounds weight loss (For the Americans out there that's 6' 1", 220 lbs, 44 lbs weight loss; for anybody sensible enough to use the metric system - 1.86 m, 100 kg, 20 kg weight loss)
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    edited January 2009
    6'2" and 15st 5

i'm 6' 2" and 11 st, was 13 this time last year! really notice it when climbing now :)

I'd say i'm pretty skinny tho!

me.jpg
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • T.C.
    T.C. Posts: 495
    bluecow HI could you include me e-mail is tommie@tommie.fsnet.co.uk cheersTommie
  • T.C.
    T.C. Posts: 495
    ive had a couple of poor years back pain , colds etc , really want to get back to 06 level, currently 14st and 6ft, can never get under 13 about 13.2 is ok , no beer now until 10th of feb
  • bluecow
    bluecow Posts: 306
    Please keep an eye out on Sunday for a thread in this forum where all those listed above (and others if you're feeling like you want to join in ;)) can put what they've done so far. You only need note from Thursday 1st but instead of starting a thread on a thursday it makes more sense to do it on a sunday.
    Havent decided what to call it yet... Im sure it'll be obvious once its there.
    I'll be going along to the shorter Manchester Wheelers ride on Sunday, hope to meet some of you there :)
    Hx
  • bluecow
    I cant believe i wrote that whilst eating chocolate cake...
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    and I'm reading it drinking sherry!
  • a_n_t wrote:
    6'2" and 15st 5

i'm 6' 2" and 11 st, was 13 this time last year! really notice it when climbing now :)

I'd say i'm pretty skinny tho!

me.jpg

Oi, thats my bike!!! Give it back! :evil:
  • a_n_t
    Jonathan M wrote:
    Oi, thats my bike!!! Give it back! :evil:

they're like mondeos these ribble winter bikes!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • Can I join in too?

(in Rochdale)

RBIT
  • Well I shall no doubt see a few of you tomorrow am for the Wheelers ride.

I'm not sure what i'd category I'd fall into, but I am under no circumstance obese yet just over 15st and 6'2.....mind you my legs are nowhere near as thin as those !
  • bluecow
    Well I shall no doubt see a few of you tomorrow am for the Wheelers ride.

I'm not sure what i'd category I'd fall into, but I am under no circumstance obese yet just over 15st and 6'2.....mind you my legs are nowhere near as thin as those !

Which ride are you going on?
    I wont be there tomorrow as my mum can't take over skiing supervision but she says next week will be ok. So i get a one week reprieve! See you next week! (The temperature is also forecast to rise a few degrees by then too...)
    Look out for tomorrows thread!
    Helen
  • a_n_t
    i'll be out on the 9.30 one, still not feeling that great so probably best to leave winnats for another day!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t wrote:
    i'll be out on the 9.30 one, still not feeling that great

in fact i woke up feeling terrible so i stayed in bed :(
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    a_n_t wrote:
    a_n_t wrote:
    i'll be out on the 9.30 one, still not feeling that great

in fact i woke up feeling terrible so i stayed in bed :(

Wish I had, yesterdays club run was just incident after incident.... :roll: :?
  • Well I turned up for the 9am ride.

Got as far as Cheadle and then I was dropped of the back and unable to see which way the other 4 had gone at a roundabout....so then decided that since I was out & riding that I would do my own route which was similar to the one I advertised on the club website.

Ended up going through Bramhall, then Pott Shrigley, Whaley, Chapel and then towards Castelton.....was unsure which route would bring me round to go over Winnats, but after a continuuous 3-4 mile incline I mentally thought that this had to be the reverse side of the pass....took the left at the top and into Castelton....nice ride down :D:D managed to clock 51 mph too before braking to go over the cattle grid... :oops:

Had a 10 min breather and re-fuel...then since I was one my own, got bored and so went back up Winnats and retraced my route back to Didsbury....

I was glad my bike had a granny ring as I sat down and simply churned the pedals round going up....further practise definitely required there to get up it as per the video I had seen on youtube :oops:

62 miles overall in just under 5 hours......and feeling rather proud too 8)
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    Hi Sportbilly

I wasn't out yesterday but well done on your ride. Sorry you got dropped early on, but you're always going to be up against it pace wise on the long training ride on a mountain bike - although as you say the granny ring helps on the hills ;) - and the long training ride doesn't wait (other than to regroup at the top of bigger hills)

You may want to try the intro or shorter rides first, as whilst you can obviously cover some good distance, you may want to consider shorter distances at a slightly higher pace and then increase your distance at that higher pace. Realistically, other than the Wheelers intro rides, you arelikely to find it hard work keeping up with a training ride on a mountain bike. You will be working harder to maintain the same speed as the guy next to you on a road bike, particularly up the hills. And if the guys on road bikes were to slow down to accomodate you they wouldnt get the level of training they're looking for, which is obviously unfair on the majority.
  • I weight 11.5 stone as it stands and I'm not sure i could lose a further stone given my body type.

Does anyone know how to lose weight safely if you're already pretty slim?
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    Without stating the obvious, if you're pretty slim already why do you need to lose a stone?????
  • Slow1972 wrote:
    Without stating the obvious, if you're pretty slim already why do you need to lose a stone?????

Exactly !!

Why not try improving your power output, technique or endurance instead.... I would love to be 11.5 stones with the power I have but that will never happen. 11.5 stones is already pretty light for a full grown adult but there is no harm joining in to improve the cycling if nothing else!
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    bluecow wrote:
    Ok, as of now we have the following people...

bluecow - Bury
    Fat_Rob
    Pfuetze
    Napolean D
    pjm-84
    popette
    Sportbilly1976
    jp1985
    DavidMiller
    ianjaytee - Whitefield
    Ollieda
    carpediem - Todmordon
    JonathanM
    Pokerface (im unsure whether you said you were joining us so i added you anyway :))
    steve-m
    T.C s - tommie@tommie.fsnet.co.uk
    ColinJ - Hebden Bridge
    ratherbeintobago - Rochdale

What i propose to do to get us off to a start is have everybody mail me their address so i can add it to this list (if you're comfortable with that) and each week i will start a thread on the training forum (each Friday) where people can list their short (eg: losing 2 pounds a week) and longer term goals (i.e. completing Cheshire Cat in under x minutes) but most importantly what you've done in the past week, and anything you've been particularly proud of (eg: got my ass out of bed for a 70 mile club run even though the weather was miserable) or <ahem> less proud of (eg: Those 50 chocolate biscuits on Thursday may have been a little excessive). You get the idea...
    Anybody have any suggestions? Please feel free to add me to your msn too.
    Cheers,
    Helen x

Can I join? I was brought up in Manchester (Moss Side and Cheetham Hill) and regularly visit brother and sister in Timperley and Sale. (Currently reside in Cheltenham)

I weighed in at 11st 9.2 lbs this morning. Big aim this year is the Marmotte via Cheshire Cat, Etape Caledonia and Dragon Ride to name a few. Oh, and as many 200 km audax rides before the big one.

maander.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    bluecow wrote:
    Ok, as of now we have the following people...

bluecow - Bury
    Fat_Rob
    Pfuetze
    Napolean D
    pjm-84
    popette
    Sportbilly1976
    jp1985
    DavidMiller
    ianjaytee - Whitefield
    Ollieda
    carpediem - Todmordon
    JonathanM
    Pokerface (im unsure whether you said you were joining us so i added you anyway :))
    steve-m
    T.C s - tommie@tommie.fsnet.co.uk
    ColinJ - Hebden Bridge
    ratherbeintobago - Rochdale

What i propose to do to get us off to a start is have everybody mail me their address so i can add it to this list (if you're comfortable with that) and each week i will start a thread on the training forum (each Friday) where people can list their short (eg: losing 2 pounds a week) and longer term goals (i.e. completing Cheshire Cat in under x minutes) but most importantly what you've done in the past week, and anything you've been particularly proud of (eg: got my ass out of bed for a 70 mile club run even though the weather was miserable) or <ahem> less proud of (eg: Those 50 chocolate biscuits on Thursday may have been a little excessive). You get the idea...
    Anybody have any suggestions? Please feel free to add me to your msn too.
    Cheers,
    Helen x

Can I join? I was brought up in Manchester (Moss Side and Cheetham Hill) :wink: and regularly visit brother and sister in Timperley and Sale. (Currently reside in Cheltenham)

I weighed in at 11st 9.2 lbs this morning. Big aim this year is the Marmotte via Cheshire Cat, Etape Caledonia and Dragon Ride to name a few. Oh, and as many 200 km audax rides before the big one.

maander.
  • bluecow
    Hi,
    Please see the thread of the same name- week 1. :)
    Have added your name to the list.
    H
  • a_n_t
    fuzzynavel wrote:
    11.5 stones is already pretty light for a full grown adult !

not if you're 5'2" ! :)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.