Anybody like to lose a stone by March?

bluecow
bluecow Posts: 306
I need to shed a few excess pounds. Not loads, just the lingering spare tyre that is holding me back.
And since theres nothing like a bit of competition to get things going, does anybody want to join me on a little weight loss challenge? Im aiming to achieve my goal by the start of March so i'll be fighting fit for the sportive season, so thats less than 2 pounds a week, very reasonable i think.
Maybe a forfeit for the loser?
Preferably someone in the North West but it doesnt really matter.
If it helps, im female. :)

Comments

• a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    If I lose a stone I'm liable to blow away! :lol:

good luck tho :wink:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • FAT_ROB
    FAT_ROB Posts: 116
    Ey yp

I Hail from the North west, and to be fair probably need to loose more than a stone. I currently live in Reading and well to be honest am somewhat off the pinnacal of physical fitness at the moment..

I'm planning to do LEJOG in June so loosing a stone by March would be a bonus.

So bring it On!!!!!

I love a challenge and the idea of a forfeit sounds like a plan.... What do you suggest

Take care

Fat_Rob!
    Never knowingly past a pie shop!

Spec Pitch

Spec Tarmac

Thorn Raven Tourer (with Roholf Hub gears)
  • bluecow
    Well i guess if you're FROM the NW then its acceptable...
    How much do you want to lose in total (if its not too rude to ask)?
    You do realise, however that if you have considerably more than a stone to lose then this will place you at an advantage and therefore any forfeit will have to be on you, whatever the outcome. Its only fair. I'll think about what it shall be...
    I did LEJOG in June this year. Perfect time if year for it IMHO.
  • bluecow
    a_n_t wrote:

Smug git ;)
  • I once lost loads (couple of years back) by cutting out all sweet stuff and living on small portions and fruit.

Great for the hills but I looked ill - gaunt with loads of loose skin around the chops. In short it aged me about 10 years and I looked ill and weak.

I've since put a stone on - less good for hills but I look a bit more human, albeit still a bit hagged for my age! So I'm not convinced that weight loss alone is always a good thing.

My next challenge is to lose some of the fat but replace it with muscle through an army training style regime (run, cycle, swim, push ups, sit ups, dips etc.) and next to no sweet stuff.

I've given up on being cycling specific and aim to be a bit more fit in general (if that makes sense).
  • bluecow
    Hmm yes im a sweet demon. My big failing is sweet things and bread. I reckon if i can get those under control then im on a good course. Exercise isnt much of an issue but i've bought a stability ball thing for ab crunches. After trying it out a couple of days ago i realised how much ive neglected this part of my body.
  • Hi,
    Punkypossum has drawn my attention to your post, I'm new to this forum. I have a bit of extra winter belly that needs to come off and live in Preston. I'm quite into your idea of a challenge, and could do to lose a stone or so. I am also female and started cycling properly last year, having managed to build my mileage up into something reasonable. :)
  • bluecow
    Cool, always nice to have a bit of (friendly) competition and mutual encouragement!
    Well, at the moment i ride to work 4 days a week and do 1 longer ride at the weekend, clocking up about 150 miles. This is on a good week atm though, what with the ice playing havoc with my schedule (grrrr!). So it'll be a combination of keeping that up, doing lots of ab crunches to help tone my upper body, but mainly watching my diet like an overzealous hawk. I will be a ratty miserable deprived cow for two months, but then i will be thin(ner). Woo!
    Do you have a general plan of how you'd like to achieve your stone loss?
  • The general plan is a two-pronged attack. First and most importantly is to get back on the bike. In the summer, I was averaging 70-100 miles a week, but that died off with the bad weather. Secondly, I need to keep my greedy paws out of the biscuit tin at work. It did no harm when I was doing the cycling, but without cycling, it's pretty lethal.

However, I have done 66 miles over the past couple of days, so it's not too bad a start...
  • Hehe, I'll just eat the biscuits for you!!!!

Just hope you don't go as grumpy as on your last weight loss attempt!!!! :roll:
    One day, I'm going to buy a cottage in a small village and become its idiot!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm from NW (Cheshire) and a stone is exactly what I aim to lose (although my wife doesn't want me to lose any more). I hope to take part in the Clayton Velo Spring Classic as my first race so that is my target date...

I'm 6'1" and currently weigh 199lb, I was 250 18 months ago.
    I am a heavy build so not sure if a stone is possible but I'm game!

Alex
  • a_n_t
    bluecow wrote:
    a_n_t wrote:

Smug git ;)

well I have gone from 13 st to 11 this year so I can be smug :lol:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    Half a stone for me. Currently 16st 3lb. I did get down to 15 4lb 18months ago but was gaunt and very grey. I lost a lot of strength as well. 15st 8lbs about the lowest for me and I will kick start my "diet" in the New Year along with my cycling. (Bad few months / overtrained / cold and flu - motivation as a result = zilch)
    Paul
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    I stepped on the scales this morning to find I have put on about 7lb in the last week! ! So, I have to lose that plus at least another stone. :oops:
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Lose?? Absolutely not. If anyone can tell me how yo GAIN at least a stone I'd be grateful. It's been my ambition for >40 years to reach 10 stone - doesn't look as if I'll ever get there now!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • bluecow
    pfuetze wrote:
    The general plan is a two-pronged attack. First and most importantly is to get back on the bike. In the summer, I was averaging 70-100 miles a week, but that died off with the bad weather. Secondly, I need to keep my greedy paws out of the biscuit tin at work. It did no harm when I was doing the cycling, but without cycling, it's pretty lethal.

However, I have done 66 miles over the past couple of days, so it's not too bad a start...

Ah, the old biscuits at work pitfall. I feel your pain... Well, we must ditch those. When i return to work next week im going to take a fruit bowl, and actually make a feature of it, so its something which will attract me, rather than become a mould infested health hazard. Plus buy good nibbles for when im bored (which lets face it, is when we all start munching). Carrot stick anybody? No... i thought not. Well we can try :)
    Anybody in the NW up for a weekend saunter? (Can one saunter on two wheels?)
  • bluecow
    All those who have said you're up for it (ooh err) please can you PM me and i'll get something together. It may just be a case of regular contact/encouragement on msn/emails but maybe we could extend it to an occasional ride out, pictures of each other for entertainment value <cough> errr i mean encouragement value. I was also thinking a kinda chart thing, each with our own coloured bike symbol, showing the current leader (hey, it's early days! And remember, if you cheat, you're only cheating yourself. ;)
    It'll be just like Weight Watchers, but without the beans.
  • Hi,

This sounds ideal for me....and I'd love to have that extra participation /encouragement / competition to assist...

I'm based in south mcr (didsbury) and should be on bike by mid-jan. I'm aiming for about 20-30 miles a week commuting and then another 30-50 on sunday rides initially..

currently 6'2" and about 95kgs (although not weighed myself since before xmas :oops: )...although anything more than a stone and I'd look a bit ill, but it needs to come off as I dont fancy hauling my heavy ass up some of the hills in the sportives I'm planning for '09 :shock:
  • bluecow
    Great, thats one more then. I was thinking of going out with the mcr Wheelers in the new year, but a) im not sure theyd 'ave me and b) im not sure i want to commit to club runs.
    My point is, they start from Didsbury (Parrs Wood) at the weekends, i believe.
    What bike are you picking up?
  • Anonymous
    You don't have to commit to club runs, you can turn up as and when once you have joined...

Bluecow you have pm.

I work in Didsbury.
  • bluecow,

I have replied to your email...

I am awaiting a Trek 1.2T. Live Didsbury, work Salford Quays.....M'cr Wheelers will be graced with my prescence in the new year too...lets hope they have a comfy broom wagon for me to sit in :D:D
  • Anonymous
    meagain wrote:
    Lose?? Absolutely not. If anyone can tell me how yo GAIN at least a stone I'd be grateful. It's been my ambition for >40 years to reach 10 stone - doesn't look as if I'll ever get there now!

I can sort you out with a suitable eating plan. I managed to get myself up to 18 stone 18 months ago following the "NapoleonD-plan" diet
  • bluecow
    NapoleonD wrote:
    You don't have to commit to club runs, you can turn up as and when once you have joined...

Bluecow you have pm.

I work in Didsbury.

But i havent got my PM yet...<sniff>
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    You can come out with Mcr Wheelers on a club ride before you join, "try before you buy" so to speak.

The website has a club runs link - there's pretty regular shorter and/or intro rides you can always try as a starting point. The rides page will give you start point and time, type of ride and distance. You won't be left behind on a slower or intro ride.

http://www.wheelers.org/

Just put some mudguards on if its wet (this is Manchester afterall) - or you may find you're not too popular with the people behind you in the bunch :wink:
  • jp1985
    jp1985 Posts: 434
    Hey

Count me in too.

I'm from darwen and could probably do with losing a bit more than a stone .I'm currently around 16 st 6lbs, I'd probably be happy if i got nanywhere near 15st for now.

As far as a plan goes its probably the same as everyones, eat less ride more. Really need to get my weekly mileage consistently over the 100 mile mark so would be up for a few meet up rides.

Joe

p.s. just sent pm with my info
  • bluecow
    Slow1972 wrote:
    You can come out with Mcr Wheelers on a club ride before you join, "try before you buy" so to speak.

The website has a club runs link - there's pretty regular shorter and/or intro rides you can always try as a starting point. The rides page will give you start point and time, type of ride and distance. You won't be left behind on a slower or intro ride.

http://www.wheelers.org/

Just put some mudguards on if its wet (this is Manchester afterall) - or you may find you're not too popular with the people behind you in the bunch :wink:

Ahem.... i use raceblades. Am i likely to get off to a bad start? I could stay at the back..!
  • bluecow
    Just checked the wheelers sitebut cant find any club runs yet for 09.
  • a_n_t
    bluecow wrote:

I think there's only one on there for next week at the minute [click the jan-apr 09 tab at the top of that excel document]

More will be added soon no doubt, there's usually an intro ride every month'ish of about 30/40 miles where no one gets left behind and we always wait for people on the slower club runs anyway although these are usually longer and hillier [60 miles or so].

If you're feeling brave we're tackling winnats next sunday!! :shock: :D
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • a_n_t
    just noticed slow1972 beat me to it! :D
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • bluecow
    a_n_t wrote:
    bluecow wrote:

I think there's only one on there for next week at the minute [click the jan-apr 09 tab at the top of that excel document]

More will be added soon no doubt, there's usually an intro ride every month'ish of about 30/40 miles where no one gets left behind and we always wait for people on the slower club runs anyway although these are usually longer and hillier [60 miles or so].

If you're feeling brave we're tackling winnats next sunday!! :shock: :D

Im hoping to get about 60+ miles out of my weekend rides as my commute is 30miles, so it really needs to be longer. On my longer rides at the moment i average around 15mph. Which category would this put me in?
    Only today i was just mentioning doing Winnats but i am waiting til the weather warms up a wee bit and until i really shake off this bad chest. I'll def think about it though, if i make a recovery by then and we get a warm (relatively) day.