RP Training Group Ride: Sat 13th / Sun 14th

Comments

• felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    The emu wrote:
    [He's an aussie so no doubt he has good taste. 8)
    and a useless monopoly money currency to buy anything with. It wont stop him though.
    the Emu wrote:
    Not too sure about that, I think for sheer bike tart price tag bling Pinarello hold that mantle back home, but sadly the big 4 US bike manufacturers have the market cornered in Australia even in the top end.
    Well at least he knows what a Pinarello is now - but he doesnt live in the parts of Aus where there are the Italians or the Greeks - who might have a bit of style or culture...
    The Emu wrote:
    One of the reasons why I got my Wilier - almost unseen in Australia.
    Yeah thats true - good choice - small amount of bike envy when we ride - ti does look good!
    felgen wrote:
    ...and managed a 16 minute lap but only had time for one lap before coming home. Apparently he was a little bit intimidated by the traffic
    the Emu wrote:
    16 minutes :shock: sure the traffic wasn't intimidated by him!
    well he was on a Raleigh Airlite 100 - thats shock value. As they say its not about the bike...
    The Emu wrote:
    I'll be in the park @ 12:30 if you want to meet up.
    Yep keen for that - can't go nuts if racing sat - will just blow the cobwebs out :D
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Myk-ee
    Myk-ee Posts: 276
    I'd have to agree, Pinarello is Oz is the sh!t. It's an Italian thing.

I was thinking of a Wilier or a Viner (although you do get a little bit of Viner back in Oz). Wilier is definately more exclusive. Having said all of that it'll be quite a few years till I get home so I'll probably have been through a couple of bikes by then....
    felgen wrote:
    The Emu wrote:
    I'll be in the park @ 12:30 if you want to meet up.

Yep keen for that - can't go nuts if racing sat - will just blow the cobwebs out

I'm good for 12:30 in the usual place.
    It's the vibe of the thing.
  • felgen
    Myk-ee wrote:
    I'm good for 12:30 in the usual place.
    fantastique! qui on a dit en France...
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Many congratulations James on the new arrival to your peloton. Not that many famous Benjamins in cyclng history (Benjamin Noval...). At least you can paint the nursery room in Polka Dots 8)
    I think some of you are getting a bit precious about your European frames :P
    The Cav' could probably do a sub 50 RPx3 on a Raleigh Striker.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Myk-ee
    I think some of you are getting a bit precious about your European frames

If you'd seen my 12yo steel bike you'd realise it's not that precious. Although it's precious to me :oops:
  • Myk-ee
    Twas a good ride this afternoon, crisp and damp for the laps.

No surprise that Emu and I slowed Felgens progress on the 3 lap challenge. We set off slowly, sped up a little in the middle, then tapered towards the end. Not sure of the exact time but somewhere around 65-70 mins. :shock:

Think we'll wait till summer for a full blown attack..
  • felgen
    phips wrote:
    Myk-ee wrote:
    Twas a good ride this afternoon, crisp and damp for the laps.

Sooo jealous! The office is dark and manky. And boring.
    I did enjoy it... just what I needed as I hadn't been out on a bike since tuesday. I clocked up 34 miles by the time I got home - average 18.8 mph which is quite reasonable. As for being held up - absolutely not. I was quite happy with the pace. I was just aware of what let me down last week at Hillingdon, hence my occasional hooning up the gradients - just wanted to max out a few times and really make the legs burn - max HR was 174 on the ride today which is probably the highest I have managed around the park. Probably should have thought about the need to save my legs if I am going to have a decent pop tomorrow - I just pray for weather that is, um acceptable. I dont want to go slip sliding everywhere as frankly, the bike may just have to remain broken if any mechanical failure occurs.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    edited December 2008
    I think some of you are getting a bit precious about your European frames :P
    The Cav' could probably do a sub 50 RPx3 on a Raleigh Striker.

Is that with or without him holding onto his team car? :wink:

Good ride today lads thoroughly enjoyable. I don't know exact time but was on the 65 minute mark. Given the conditions for me atleast that's quite reasonable. Pushing into that wind towards Kingston gate on the last lap was a struggle.

Yes Mike must admit you do exceptionally well getting up those hills on that steel monster of yours. As for me, well I need every bit of help I can get so no apologies for being a weight weenie.

Got two thirds home and front tyre went down. Managed to limp home without it going down completely, knowing it was my last ride for a while just couldn't be ar$ed stopping to change a tube for a 2 mile ride.

Good luck tomorrow lads if you brave the conditions.

The long grazed legged one
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    The emu wrote:
    I was feeling ok until I heard the barman say me and my mate had managed 20 pints between us this evening... so much for a quiet one eh?...!!

Arse, now I have to see what the morning holds - personally I don't hold much luck or expectation :roll: :shock: :lol:
  • felgen
    I have also decided to bale on racing today, whilst I was initially keen, a few minutes out in the the rain earlier made me decide against it. I got much more sleep lat night, but little'un gave me pretty much a sleepless night thursday and I really struggled to wake up this morning.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • felgen
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    The emu wrote:
    I was feeling ok until I heard the barman say me and my mate had managed 20 pints between us this evening... so much for a quiet one eh?...!!
    Lightweight! :D
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    phips wrote:
    Rich-Ti wrote:

Depends - he might have had 17 of those ;-)

Tomorrow's looking foggy and cold (1º) - anyone still up for a ride?
    Oh it wasn't a heavy one, was just a shock that we'd had 10 each as it didn't seem like it!

I'm still up for a ride, as long as I don't end up skating on ice again! :roll: :lol:
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,931
    part timers
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • My steed is fixed so I'm primed and ready for a ride tomorrow - 9am at Richmond Gate.
  • Rich-Ti
    If this weather doesn't change I'll be on the rollers tomorrow
  • felgen
    Awwww- in for a penny infor a pound. After thinking I would be out for this, seeing as I didnt go race today (saturday), I am now champing at the bit for this weekend ride, so I will be there. Any ideas on where we are going? :D

See you at 9am, unless the snowpoughs stop me! weather says cold, but dry - just hope theres no frost!
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • felgen
    No Myk-ee Phips - he said our friday squizz round the park was the last ride in the UK for him this year as he is off back to Aus for Chrimbo.

As for Wilf, well I don't know. I am not sure if he said merry Christmas to me cos he thought I wasnt coming Sunday or cos he wasnt coming either way. As for a route, I know a route, but I just wonder if we are Surrey Hillsing or Windsoring. Anyhooo I think we will have:
    Felgen
    Art Vandelay
    Rich
    Phips

:D
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    felgen wrote:
    As for a route, I know a route, but I just wonder if we are Surrey Hillsing or Windsoring. Anyhooo I think we will have:
    Felgen
    Art Vandelay
    Rich
    Phips

:D
    I do know a Windsor route and it might be a little less treacherous if there's any risk of ice, although it's far from exciting!

I'm happy to do a Surrey HIlls / North Downs route as long as I don't drop it again! :shock:
  • The emu
    felgen wrote:
    As for Wilf, well I don't know. I am not sure if he said merry Christmas to me cos he thought I wasnt coming Sunday or cos he wasnt coming either way.

If I had read this thread earlier and known what the weather was doing, definitely would have gone easy on the red wine and come for a roll :roll: but no don't plan on doing any more rides between now and New Year. Brake pads are shot so will give my bike a proper clean today including getting all the grit out of my running gear with white spirits, change pads, lube and then park.

Shouldn't imagine there would be any ice today, and not a whisp of breeze looking our my window either :evil:

Was drinking with a chap last night - turns out he loves his bike riding but recently lost his riding partner so is keen to come out with the gang in the new year.

Enjoy lads!

• Myk-ee
    Morning all, what time is it? :?
  • The emu
    Well that was fun....not.

Took me 1 hour to clean the bike, another hour to clean the bathroom before my other half gets home. :wink:

• Rich-Ti
    I got in at about 2pm after peeling off from James & Al outside Epsom - about 55 miles for me and averaged 16.4mph I think.

Was first to arrive at the park too!!