SCR Article in the London Paper

1235»

Comments

• Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    Hi,
    If anyone's looking for a decent newspaper, can I put in a plug for The Economist. It's weekly but well written, well informed and has good international coverage. It's also relatively easy to carry on a bike...

Cheers,
    W.

Agreed - it's a great read, but I had to give up with it as it took so long to read that the news was olds before I finished, and I'd never have time to read it all before the next one came out...
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Regarding the article, I'm up in the true capital so won't see it - but leaving the station last night I saw a newpaper sandwich board which had written on it:

HOOLIGAN
    GAME
    FURY

or something similar, and thought "I hope that isn't......no, can't be surely". But you never know with journo's.
    I've forgotten my PIN for the pain barrier.
  • tomfoolery wrote:
    Regarding the article, I'm up in the true capital so won't see it
    In Aberystwyth, are you? :P
  • Only read the online versions, but I think the Guardian's gone downhill in recent years. Still read it though, along with the Independent and the Times Online.

Plus Slashdot and El Reg for the serious stuff. :)
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    I need to read a more sophisticated newspaper...

I'll give the Times, Guardian, Observer or Daily Mail a go.

I quite like the Daily Mail.

It's got enough pages that I can scrunch a couple into my overshoes and shove the rest of it down the front of my jersey on a cold morning.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    31 pages down! I'm begining to think it would have been easier to start a new thread!

Anyhow I got a FB message from the gent who was doing this article to say it should be out hopefully first week of March as part of a larger article the paper are running on cycling in the capital! Once I have more details I shall post them so we can all diverge on the nearest unlucky soul we see who has to stand there in the rain and wind (or sun if it takes even longer) offering up these to the drones on the choob and train..........
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Ermmm... Aren't we in the second week of March at the moment?? ;)
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Bassjunkieuk
    I had noticed this snooks! But I only got the message from Kevin this morning.......guess I'll have to grab a copy later as I'm just opposite a choob station!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Seems Kev got his dates mixed up, should be first week of April.....
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Gradually getting more details of this........seems the article is going to include a section on "Cycling Tribes" and I've been chosen to represent the "road riders" - who in Kevin's words "like to ride hard and fast" (Gregs stop laughing!)
    Just spoken with a lovely lady from the London Paper who rang to arrange my photo shoot (yay!) who said they have a wide selection of tribes from the High-Vis brigade to the ones with Shopping baskets!
    As has been said before the way I see it is it's best to get involved and get my point across rather then let people assume we all act like that RLJ morons that plague our streets!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Gradually getting more details of this........seems the article is going to include a section on "Cycling Tribes"

:roll:
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Gradually getting more details of this........seems the article is going to include a section on "Cycling Tribes" and I've been chosen to represent the "road riders" - who in Kevin's words "like to ride hard and fast" (Gregs stop laughing!)
    Just spoken with a lovely lady from the London Paper who rang to arrange my photo shoot (yay!) who said they have a wide selection of tribes from the High-Vis brigade to the ones with Shopping baskets!
    As has been said before the way I see it is it's best to get involved and get my point across rather then let people assume we all act like that RLJ morons that plague our streets!

Make sure you pack eggs!!!!

To throw at the Hybrids, Mountain Bikers and Fakenger tribes!!!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    does anyone have a link to the FB group as I'm lost in the new format and can't find anything? :oops:
  • snooks
    In my sig....
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Bassjunkieuk
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Make sure you pack eggs!!!!

To throw at the Hybrids, Mountain Bikers and Fakenger tribes!!!

The photographer is doing individual visits so I can egg the other tribes...
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • snooks
    What happens if you belong to more than one tribe? :?

Hmmmmmz
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Bassjunkieuk
    snooks wrote:
    What happens if you belong to more than one tribe? :?

Hmmmmmz

Wel I'm fairly sure I fit exclusively in the Road Rider tribe (name tbc.....) as I certainly don't don a High-Vis or have a wicker basket :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • snooks
    I wear High vis on my road bike, I also ride off road....do I need to show a different tattoo or head dress when I go out on my bikes? :?
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    This perhaps should be another thread, but I wear a Pearl Izumi yellow gillet for commuting in the winter. It seems to me to be an obvious thing to do, as it makes you easier to see. However there does seem to be a faction that eschew such things, and I will confess to not wearing it on weekend rides, as I don't expect to encounter as much traffic. I hadn't given it a great deal of thought, but what is the problem with high visibility clothing?
  • snooks
    I don't wear high vis all the time, just when I expect to be cycling near dusk and in darkness.

I don't wear a high vis bib, so maybe this is the high vis tribe - Goes against nature don't you think?
    Zebra...striped for camouflage
    Chameleon......changes colour to fit in
    Octopus......can change the colour and texture to blend in
    High vis cyclist...... :?

But my gore phantom jacket is Lemon and black "apparently"...What makes me laugh is the washing instruction..."WAS WITH SIMILAR COLOURS ONLY!" Like I have a wardobe of bright yellow and black! :D
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Bassjunkieuk
    I do own a rather bright yellow Gill (those at the Morpeth one time might remember seeing it.....) which is about as high-vis as I get. I do have a few proper high-vis vests but rarely wear them as I'd normally have the yellow jacket on when it's dark and cold!
    I do also have a couple of wrist straps that I wore occasionally to make it clearer when I was indicating.
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    snooks wrote:
    In my sig....

oh yes. D'OH :oops:

Thanks