SCR Article in the London Paper

Comments

• snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    That was broken in the 1st page of the SCR thread! To be frank, we've been doing a crap job of hiding it ever since, what with the facebook group and now the press are on to us the word might be out :shock:
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • On topic - will reserve judgement till I see the article, not expecting much but you never know.
    DCubed wrote:
    SCR has helped me become a competent cyclist and far fitter than if I merely commuted to work. Before I went roadie ..........

I can understand your feelings here. The speed and fitness bit I agree whole heartedly, whether it's made me a better cyclist I don't know. I never rlj-ed before so the basic road rules stuff hasn't changed, but I certainly didn't brake as fierce as I now do from my now increased speed.

I feel I am at the tipping point where getting fitter and faster is counter productive (my heart may get better but my next accident will soon change that)

Regards D-Squared
    [1]Ribble winter special
    [2] Trek 5200 old style carbon
    [3] Frankensteins hybrid FCN 8
  • Sorry if this darkens your mood Litts but I read this thread while rediscovering the great Depeche Mode on you tube. Happened to be playing enjoy the silence as I read...

Words are very unnecessary
    They can only do harm
    Vows are spoken
    To be broken

That omen combined with my sincerely held belief that most hacks are lazy blood-sucking zombies means I'll be holding my breath on Thursday waiting to see all the car drivers waving the paper at me as they cut me up in an attempt to jump the amber light 50 yards ahead....hey-ho
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • OK my money is on the Journo twisting this from, "commuters having a bit of fun", to "Mad Max on Bicycles," I just hope I am wrong :?
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    On topic - will reserve judgement till I see the article, not expecting much but you never know.
    DCubed wrote:
    SCR has helped me become a competent cyclist and far fitter than if I merely commuted to work. Before I went roadie ..........

I can understand your feelings here. The speed and fitness bit I agree whole heartedly, whether it's made me a better cyclist I don't know. I never rlj-ed before so the basic road rules stuff hasn't changed, but I certainly didn't brake as fierce as I now do from my now increased speed.

I feel I am at the tipping point where getting fitter and faster is counter productive (my heart may get better but my next accident will soon change that)

Regards D-Squared

I take your point. I suppose level of experience is arguably the qualifyer of how much you gain/learn from SCR discussions or on the other hand how much experience/knowledge your are able to share.

For me I've always been capable of riding a bike, riding on the road in traffic is something I'm not overly experienced at doing. Lol, I still remember having trouble turning right to join a new road.

Riding with the likes of Bassjunkie and Greg66 (albeit once on seperate occasions) taught me loads about making signals, pedal technique and the like. My outright SCRace with that Courier on a Condor fixie proved to me the importance of checking over my shoulder, which I didn't do enough until then. Discussions about spinning, what gears, gear inches, what to eat etc - important gems of experience shared in and amongst the banter - has helped me become a better, fitter and more capable rider. Even the advice and reccomendations such as Teflon Dry Lube (thanks Greg), what lights, clothing, bike locks, tyres, how to change things have arguably saved me money and prolonged the lifespan of my bike.

What I think is that a lot of the benefits from SCR discussions and simply getting involved can be easily missed and/or overlooked by the banter and fun which makes it so damn addictive.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • most hacks are lazy blood-sucking zombies

Harsh !!

But fair I think :?
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    We shall see we shall see.

Does anyone have the facility to run out and grab a copy of the article tomorrow, scan it and post it up here as a thread.

I don't obviously or I wouldn't ask.

That way we can make sure everyone has the opportunity to stone me in public :shock:
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Well as it happens I'm actually working up in town tomorrow and pass London Bridge so I should be able to nab a copy, I've also asked my dad to pick a few copies up as well.

I'll also ask a few of my less-fortunate (i.e non-cycling, stuck on the choob) work mates to grab a copy!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Littigator wrote:

Does anyone have the facility to run out and grab a copy of the article tomorrow, scan it and post it up here as a thread.

That way we can make sure everyone has the opportunity to stone me in public :shock:

+1
    Us yokels wud lik too reeed yt two.

YARP!
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Attica wrote:
    Littigator wrote:

+1

YARP!

Youm can reed?!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    +2

I'll just look at the pics as this youkel can't reed
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Littigator
    Attica wrote:
    Littigator wrote:

+1

YARP!

Youm can reed?!

Don't be ridiculous man, of course he can't...he'll ask his sister/auntie to read it for him.

She'll need a translation into yokelish though which I'm afraid even I cannot provide despite speaking 14 languages

• Attica wrote:
    Littigator wrote:

+1

YARP!

Ah... No doubt they'll all be gathered round the clever bloke in the village who can. Sort of.

Youm can reed?!
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Ohhh

quoty quoty broky!
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    I take your point. I suppose level of experience is arguably the qualifyer of how much you gain/learn from SCR discussions or on the other hand how much experience/knowledge your are able to share.

For me I've always been capable of riding a bike, riding on the road in traffic is something I'm not overly experienced at doing. Lol, I still remember having trouble turning right to join a new road.

Riding with the likes of Bassjunkie and Greg66 (albeit once on seperate occasions) taught me loads about making signals, pedal technique and the like. My outright SCRace with that Courier on a Condor fixie proved to me the importance of checking over my shoulder, which I didn't do enough until then. Discussions about spinning, what gears, gear inches, what to eat etc - important gems of experience shared in and amongst the banter - has helped me become a better, fitter and more capable rider. Even the advice and reccomendations such as Teflon Dry Lube (thanks Greg), what lights, clothing, bike locks, tyres, how to change things have arguably saved me money and prolonged the lifespan of my bike.

What I think is that a lot of the benefits from SCR discussions and simply getting involved can be easily missed and/or overlooked by the banter and fun which makes it so damn addictive.

+1.

You're absolutely right, this forum has spun me round from not really seeing the problem with RLJ-ing and pavement-riding as long as I didn't inconvenience anyone to tutting at people when they do it in my eyeline.

It's also made me faster, improved my riding style and technique, and generally made me fitter and I think a better cyclist.

Now, the question is how much of that is down to the racing, and how much is down to the people....? :D

If that's the message in the article we'll be fine.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Lets all hope the coverage is not too negative, as I'm sure the nice people of bikeradar.com would not want to be associated with an illegal racing scene.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    Lets all hope the coverage is not too negative, as I'm sure the nice people of bikeradar.com would not want to be associated with an illegal racing scene.
    At least we're not lowering our frames, installing underlighting, and injecting nitrous oxide in our legs. We do, however, have the lovely ladies. :)
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:
    At least we're not lowering our frames, installing underlighting, and injecting nitrous oxide in our legs. We do, however, have the lovely ladies. :)

All in good time, all in good time.

*flips up hood and takes another sip from blue alcopop :roll:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    itboffin wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

All in good time, all in good time.

*flips up hood and takes another sip from blue alcopop :roll:

Are you doing a "retox" now then, ITB? :wink:
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    Well this yokel is waiting to hear from anyone about the article now. Even though SCR is not really here I can but dream.
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • hisoka wrote:
    Even though SCR is not really here I can but dream.

Dude! SCR is everywhere! It's a state of mind.
  • itboffin
    hisoka wrote:

Worse - it's even in your dreams!!! :shock:

Well some of mine anyway, now that's just wrong.
  • itboffin wrote:

There's ladies in the car scene to, unfortunately I think the likes of Max Power mislead us into believing that they are all sexy bikini clad lovelies!

In reality they are normally tracksuit wearing chavs with their "mans" in his modified Nova/Saxo/Fiesta/another cr4ppy hatchback that they have modified with bits from Halfords with their eye's closed!

Anyhow back OT (for a brief while!) I've just had a rather quick scan over the front page on the london paper website and no sign of an article on there, although I haven't actually checked much further into it! If I find anything I'll post the link ASAP!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Littigator
    Yeah I've had a look over the website but nothing on their yet. Anyone know

I s'pose it's not like we're doing alleycat races which are proper illegal racing so to speak, we're just (ahem) bimbling about really aren't we

• Littigator wrote:
    Yeah I've had a look over the website but nothing on their yet. Anyone know

I s'pose it's not like we're doing alleycat races which are proper illegal racing so to speak, we're just (ahem) bimbling about really aren't we

The way I see it is that all cyclist ride comfortably at different speeds. What I call a comfortable cruising speed on my road bike, might be another riders sprint speed. I like to cycle to work as it means I don't get held up by other road users and I'm sure as hell not going to sit behind a slower cyclist just so I'm not seen to be "racing". As you've said we're not alleycatting as they would go against most if not all of our rules!

I see plenty of idiots in cars driving dangerously and generally being utter b3llends just so they can get 1 or 2 car lengths ahead IN A TRAFFIC JAM!

EDIT: Had a check on "The Game" FB group earlier and we're sitting @ 217 members. Just wanted to record that to see if we get an upshot of membership following this evenings publicity :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    Game? what is this game you speak of :wink:
  • Littigator
    no game here....move along now nothig to see here.

BJUK, yeah that'll be hilarious if we suddenly get an influx of members. I wonder if the article will mention either Bikeradar or the FB group?

• Littigator wrote:
    no game here....move along now nothig to see here.

BJUK, yeah that'll be hilarious if we suddenly get an influx of members. I wonder if the article will mention either Bikeradar or the FB group?

It was through the Facebook group that Kevin found out about the game, I think he said one of his friends joined and he looked into it after that and it really clicked with him :-)
    having said that tho as The London Paper is normally handed out for those on the trains and tube it's only likely to be read by people on folders :wink:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Littigator
    So an influx of nice scalpable noobs...mwah ha haa haaa haaaaaaa

• hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    itboffin wrote:
    hisoka wrote:

Worse - it's even in your dreams!!! :shock:

Well some of mine anyway, now that's just wrong.

:D True true.
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)