RP Training group ride 22nd/23rd Nov?

Comments

• Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    felgen wrote:
    Hmm... I am going to look at my 305 again tonight, as I have to say I have never even looked at the attached devices list when I plug it in. I will say I think the waypoint list is capped at only 100 on the 305, so you have to be quite selective or it gets truncated.
    The 305 doesn't 'mount' as such - it just connects, so no 'dic drive'-type access :(

Waypoints are also capped at 100 on the 705 - I think the trick is creating courses rather than routes (trackpoints are something like 13,000 on the 305 and 17,000 on the 705).

Thanks for that link James, I'll have a read - but I think Phips' comment earlier about 'just dropping the .gpx into a folder' has sealed the deal for me! I haven't got the time / patience / inclination to be switching from one program / mapping tool to the next just to upload a route. If I can drag and drop on the 705 then that's the future for me! :wink: 8)
  • Rich-Ti
    felgen wrote:
    rich does this sort out your GPS woes? I cant look at it at work (site filtering) http://etapevirgins2008.blogspot.com/2008/04/how-to-upload-course-files-to-your.html
    Actually that is pretty useful so I'll give that a go, thanks mate 8)
  • I don't know... people who have carbon/ti bikes and a garmin but no overshoes

still i guess wet/winter clothing is on the way at last

half the fun is getting lost or "wonder where that road goes to?" moments

have a good one guys
  • Rich-Ti
    I don't know... people who have carbon/ti bikes and a garmin but no overshoes

still i guess wet/winter clothing is on the way at last

half the fun is getting lost or "wonder where that road goes to?" moments

have a good one guys
    Oh I've had the overshoes for a while! I like to think I'm 'all the gear, some idea'... :lol:
  • The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    Blimey turn my head away from the forum for a few days and it's action stations.

Turns out lads I can't make it tomoz but have worked out that my work function is at Harpenden and well within riding range so am still going to brave the cold first thing tomorrow to ride up there and again for the return leg tomorrow afternoon. :D

Enjoy the surrey hills lads and hopefully no more incidents - although no doubt something will happen so will look forward to the tales. :lol:

The long grazed legged one
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    felgen wrote:
    rich does this sort out your GPS woes? I cant look at it at work (site filtering) http://etapevirgins2008.blogspot.com/2008/04/how-to-upload-course-files-to-your.html
    Actually that is pretty useful so I'll give that a go, thanks mate 8)

no worries. I couldnt actually loko at it myself, it was just something that I found recommended after trawling to try and sort out my garmin at work. Anyway have we decided on a route yet, or should I just upload a few variations. Maybe we should take mididoctors advice and just ride into deepest surrey (with new overshoes!) and take it from there.

I had better do a test ride to check my gears are all okay now that I am on a new hanger, and also have a play with the garmin - one day I might not be able to rely on others to follow, plus it would be a good idea for doing sportives come next year :lol:
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    felgen wrote:
    Anyway have we decided on a route yet
    Let's set off on the 'normal' route that you guys have been doing and maybe chuck in a few surprises and random turns along the way - I've been looking at the map around the Cobham / Peaslake / Shere / Ewhurst area for days trying to upload route to my Garmin so I reckon I could navigate the area fairly well now! :lol:
  • Rich-Ti
    Still buzzing from that one chaps - a QUALITY ride 8)

Cheers for leading the way for most of it too James - wouldn't have been half as interesting with my knowledge! Just over 100k when I got home and we took in Leith Hill and Box Hill for those looking on with interest.

Was chatting to Mike during the ride about the possibility of doing a ride south and getting the train back one weekend - maybe we can sort this for next weekend if anyone is up for it as an alternative? Although having said that I may well now be heading back to Sussex now anyway.

This is the route I had planned to ride back to Richmond Park from Stanmer Park, (North West of Brighton) last weekend:

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=24406

Could reverse that, maybe with a few tweaks to head over into Brighton from a different direction? Ditchling Beacon springs to mind... :wink::lol:

Anyway, just a thought...
  • felgen
    That was a good ride - really enjoyed it, and I am not suffering at all even though it was 75 miles for me by the time I got back! It was quite a nice hybrid of what we usually ride, with a slight variation back into town to save on boredom.

I averaged over 15mph, though it was probably more as I forgot to start the GPS again after we stopped for Rich's puncture duh :shock: Major calorie burning at 6000 though I forogt to see how much climbing we did. I will have a look on the other computer which I download my 305 to another time.

It was great to have some new attendees - hope you enjoyed it Phips and Myk-ee - you didnt have any worries with the distance! Sorry I didn't get time to chat more, but I was trying to navigate from memory, which seemed to go pretty well, only missing that turn in Epsom, which was a piece of cake to fix :D. Hopefully see you both again soon - I am mentally trying to work out how many people have come along at one time or another, but I cant quite manage it. Hopefully one day we can get everyone out - that would be quite impressive.

Anyone got ideas for next week yet? :D
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    felgen wrote:
    See above! :wink::lol:

By the way, forgot to thank Phips for the drink at Box Hill! Cheers buddy, much appreciated 8)
  • felgen
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    felgen wrote:
    See above! :wink::lol:
    Oh, right - would be more keen for an all dayer out and back....but still keen either way
    rich-Ti wrote:
    By the way, forgot to thank Phips for the drink at Box Hill! Cheers buddy, much appreciated 8)
    Ditto, thanks Phips you will just have to traipse down from Swiss Cottage again so you can get repaid in drink!
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    felgen wrote:
    would be more keen for an all dayer out and back...
    What, to Brighton and back?! Blimey, that's 120+ miles!! :shock: :shock: :lol:
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,913
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    felgen wrote:
    would be more keen for an all dayer out and back...
    What, to Brighton and back?! Blimey, that's 120+ miles!! :shock: :shock: :lol:

build up to it

100km not enough anymore is it?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • funkin
    funkin Posts: 29
    Sounds like you had a good ride. I'll be tempted to join you real soon....
  • The emu
    Yeah yesterday was definitely great conditions, just a shame I couldn't make it and meet a few new faces....

.....and my ride to Harpenden wasn't longer. :cry:

• No ride for me this weekend :x Took one look out the window and wimped out. Next Saturday's out for me as well. Next Sunday I'll be out come hell or high water :wink:
  • Myk-ee
    Myk-ee Posts: 276
    Was a good day out, I've only just recovered. Thanks for the cuppa phips.

It's looking like I'll be around next weekend, so lets arrange for something later in the week.

Think I might need to get that new bike...
    It's the vibe of the thing.
  • The emu
    felgen wrote:
    I averaged over 15mph, though it was probably more as I forgot to start the GPS again after we stopped for Rich's puncture duh :shock: Major calorie burning at 6000 though I forogt to see how much climbing we did.:D

Easily done, I done it again for about the third time too yesterday. How come you burnt twice as many calories as Phips? Also what was the climb time up Box Hill aswell.

Also just registered for Caledonian Etape for anyone else interested in a highland session next year.

Art, you'll laugh reading this....I caught the train home from Harpenden this morning because it was too icy to ride up there, but then rode home in the deluge from St Pancras and got saturated again.....think I've got some hoodu when it comes to riding in winter.

• The emu wrote:
    ...just registered for Caledonian Etape for anyone else interested in a highland session next year.

Nice one Emu - let's just hope the weather jinx doesn't follow you up to bonny Scotland.
    Will the RPCC shirts be ready by then :wink: or are you going to put one of your top shelf tops on :lol:

Interested to find out what Felglen's time on Box Hill was - I presume no cow bells this time.
  • Rich-Ti
    I think he said something like 7:24?

RPCC shirts, now there's an idea... :wink::lol: 8)
  • Rich-Ti
    phips wrote:
    Made by Rapha? :D
    To match the rest of your kit eh Mark?! :wink:

Hmm, maybe I should begin communication / consultation / begging with The Bombay Bicycle Company...! :lol::wink:
  • felgen
    Nice one Emu - let's just hope the weather jinx doesn't follow you up to bonny Scotland.
    Will the RPCC shirts be ready by then :wink: or are you going to put one of your top shelf tops on :lol:

Interested to find out what Felglen's time on Box Hill was - I presume no cow bells this time.

I did 7.24. No cowbell unfortunately, and actually I was pretty tired of leg and tired in general so it was a bit of a battle. My max HR was only 158 on the climb, which is about 20 off my Max - so def not a maximal effort. Interestingly, it was still my PB by 20 seconds.

I did actually do a quick shirt design, it is on here somewhere. Mainly white with some pink and BBC logos etc. I feel we need a large multinational sponsor in addition to the Bombay Bicycle club in order to finish off the package though :)

You should def have a word with BBC Richard - I am sure that curry is a significant pastime of many cyclists, question is do they think they will get any significant benefit from giving us about 5 grand to cover stup costs and an initial run of say 20 kits including 'Emu' size :twisted: ....
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    felgen wrote:
    You should def have a word with BBC Richard - I am sure that curry is a significant pastime of many cyclists, question is do they think they will get any significant benefit from giving us about 5 grand to cover stup costs and an initial run of say 20 kits including 'Emu' size :twisted: ....
    If we just ask to put their logo on shirts / shorts in return for a bit of discount I reckon they should be almost obliged! How can a company named after a Bicycle Club not snap up a bit of free advertising on the kit of a bunch of bike & curry enthusiasts??!! :twisted:

Shirt, shorts and a gilet or similar will cost around £120 each I reckon - maybe we can then speak to TBBC about stumping up the £85 to become British Cycling affiliated so we can race in our 'team kit'?! :lol:
  • felgen
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    Shirt, shorts and a gilet or similar will cost around £120 each I reckon - maybe we can then speak to TBBC about stumping up the £85 to become British Cycling affiliated so we can race in our 'team kit'?! :lol:

I dont know where you looked, but I saw some guy who charges a setup fee and then cost per item - I will see if I can find the thread. If BBC cover the cost of the setup, then 120 quid would cover short and long sleeve jersey, bibshorts and mitts, plus some of those funky TT overshoes which Wilf would look rather fetching in :P As for BC affiliation - stroke of genius! :wink:
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • felgen
    funkin wrote:
    Sounds like you had a good ride. I'll be tempted to join you real soon....

You are most welcome to come along :D - there is a definite snowball effect at the moment as we seem to be getting new attendees every week. The new guys this week both had a good time, though the weather was brilliant - cold and crisp but really sunny so we felt compelled to make the most of it and do a full 70+ miler! We were all really glad we got out amongst it early. Having said that a little bt of rain wouldnt stop us and indeed hasn't stopped us in the past :D
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB