Today I will be mostly eating....

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    National Pie Week...

Why can't they organise that to run along with National Ale Week - match made in heaven surely...
    Every week is national ale week! See you down the 'peth (hic)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    Pieminister pies in Bristol organised a special quiz night the other night, where you also get a big yummy pie to eat while quizing and the winning team (not us ggrr) got a pie selection box, how cool is that!
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Dammit! I'm in bloody Luxembourg on pie week? I want a pie!

Today's free lunch? Salad. Freakin' awesome. NOT.

Saying that, though, I have had very nice free dinners - sushi last night and osso bucco the night before...

I like salad. Particularly with a pie!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Ridiculously sugary M&S cupcakes...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,061
    A somewhat larger that planned pasta lunch made as follows;

big handful of spaghetti dried pasta, brought to the boil with a spoon full of home made garlic olive oil.
    4 x angus beef meatballs cut into quarters
    1/2 courgette sliced then halved
    1 small onion chopped
    1/2 jar of Lloyds Grossman tomato and basil sauce

brown the balls :lol: with the onion and courgette, cover with sauce and simmer for sometime, I forget!

Now that was a tasty large lunch, coffee and time for a nap now.

zzzzzzzzzz..........
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    How funny, I'm also having pasta and meatballs, only I made the pasta, meatballs and accompanying sauce myself.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    ration pack scrambled eggs

I am feeling strangly eggbound :shock:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • itboffin
    NGale wrote:

isn't it an offence to take those off MOD property? :roll:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • NGale
    itboffin wrote:
    NGale wrote:

I didn't take them off MOD property though, I ate them up at the Naval College, the remains will however end up off MOD property :lol: :roll:
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    Today I had lemon chicken with aubergine and noodles. I only eat this well at the weekends when I'm with my girlfriend though!

Start with the aubergine. Easy peasy this - cut it in half, then score a 1cm deep criss-cross pattern on the flesh. Rub in a bit of oil (I used toasted sesame oil for this asian recipe) and some salt. Then I smeared them with a bit of sri racha (very hot garlic and chilli) sauce (Flying Goose is my favoured brand), but sweet chilli or just plain work very well. Put the halves cut-side-up in a medium oven until they're slightly charred around the edges and very soft. This should take 35-45 mins; when they're done just turn off the oven and leave them in there to keep warm.

Meanwhile make the lemon chicken:
    Add water, sugar, soy sauce, the juice of a lemon, a tiny bit of flour, diced fresh garlic and ginger to a pan on a very low heat. If you have some sherry it'd be great to add a glug, too.

Cut chicken breast into strips and poach very gently in this sauce with the lid on until cooked through (20 mins or so). Remove chicken to a plate. Turn up the heat on the sauce so it's gently simmering with the lid off

Now get some flour in a bowl and grate some of the lemon rind into it, add a bit of salt and pepper (or a bit of celery/garlic salt if you have any). In another bowl, crack a couple of eggs and whisk them up.

Get your chicken strips and a spare oven rack. Dip the chicken in the flour, then the egg, then the flour again and rest for a few minutes on the rack. Then into egg and flour, rest again. Then into egg and finally flour!! This might sound like a bit of a faff but it really does make an excellently crispy crunchy batter. There's no rush to cook these, if you feel pressed for time you can leave them on the rack for a bit, or even make them in advance and keep them in the fridge. If you want to put things on your noodles (like diced chillis or spring onions) now is a good time to dice them up.

Then I cooked up some cheap supermarket noodles, drained them, put a bit of water in the pan and a couple of handfuls of spinach, back on the heat with the lid on. The spinach wilts down in less than a minute. At this point I divided up the noodles onto plates, put the spinach on top, plated up the aubergine and put the plates in the still-warm oven to keep warm.

If you have a deep fryer, turn it up to 180 or so. If not, get a heavy frying pan and put a good amount of oil in - 1cm depth is plenty. Quickly fry the chicken for around 1 minute in the fryer or a little longer in the pan (flicking or spooning oil on top to make sure it's well cooked) or until the batter is golden brown and crispy. Remove and drain on some kitchen paper.

Divide the chicken onto the plates and sprinkle on any toppings for the noodles (I had some spring onions, sesame seeds, cashew nuts and a bit of soy sauce). The lemon sauce in the pan should now have reduced and be quite syrupy - spoon this over the chicken and serve!

I didn't bother making dessert :wink:
  • itboffin
    NGale wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    NGale wrote:

I didn't take them off MOD property though, I ate them up at the Naval College, the remains will however end up off MOD property :lol: :roll:

TMI

:lol:
  • itboffin
    frinkmakesyouthink you've given me an idea, standby........
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Soreen Malt loaf.
    I note on the side of the packet is an advert for their new "snack size". I thought the large loaf was snack size.
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    will3 wrote:
    Soreen Malt loaf.
    I note on the side of the packet is an advert for their new "snack size". I thought the large loaf was snack size.
    Only for cyclists. Everyone else can get away with a smaller snack. ;)

Mike
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    The last remains of my homemade coffee cake. Clearly I'm on a diet.
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    I've just had a tray of chips and now having read all of your contributions I feel thoroughly ashamed of myself. :oops:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    ajb72 wrote:
    I've just had a tray of chips and now having read all of your contributions I feel thoroughly ashamed of myself. :oops:

A tray?! Is that northern for a plate, or have you actually consumed an entire tray's worth of chips.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    mmm chips
  • dvdfoz
    dvdfoz Posts: 62
    ajb72 wrote:

A tray?! Is that northern for a plate, or have you actually consumed an entire tray's worth of chips.

No mention of gravy, so hardly northern
    Dalston --> Canary Wharf, and all pubs inbetween
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    Blueberries. A whole punnet of them :)
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Does anyone on here do the Paleo diet?

Thinking about doing it and would love to know how it combines not having porridge before cycling 90 miles.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,262
    Don't know much about the Paleo diet, but kind of related (and rather OT) did you see that Horizon programme the other week then, where they suggested that the invention/discovery of cooking and the consequent reduction in the amount of energy expended on digestion actually triggered the development of our bigger (and very energy hungry when compared with other primates) brains. Basically, cooking made us clever.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Mithras
    Mithras Posts: 428
    garlic stuffed portobello mushrooms
    I can afford to talk softly!....................I carry a big stick!
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    Today I made aubergine and red pepper roulade. Easy this, although you do have to leave it overnight. So I'll post about the taste tomorrow!

Put 4 red peppers under the grill, turning occasionally, until they're black all over. If you have a gas hob you can do this over a flame. Then put them in a bowl and put a lid on it. Leave for half an hour or so and then peel, de-seed and dice into strips.

Meanwhile cut two aubergines lengthways into the thinnest strips you can. Smear over a bit of olive oil and bake for 20 minutes or so, or until golden brown.

Then get a longish strip of tinfoil on your work surface, and make a long thin rectangle out of your aubergine slices, making sure they overlap each other by maybe 5mm. Sprinkle over some salt, some very thin slivers of garlic, some balsamic vinegar and some fresh basil leaves. Then put some very thinly sliced mozzarella on (one ball is enough), then your strips of red pepper. Carefully roll this up in the tinfoil (don't trap the tinfoil inside it!) as tightly as you can and leave in the fridge overnight.

When you're ready to eat it, slice rings from it, cutting right through the tinfoil. Then when it's on the plate, carefully peel away the tinfoil. I plan on having this with some simple grilled chicken and cous cous.

If you prefer, you can slowly heat it in a low oven so that the cheese melts a bit. I like it cold, though.
  • lost_in_thought
    Greek-style nachos, mince (made into a bolognaise-esque thang) with a tomato salsa-type salad, homemade dressing and homemade oven-crisped pita bread.

I have too much time on my hands? And I spend most of it cooking? Yep...
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Nips over to Cake Stop... for no reason
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736

That lot sounded rather nice. But as for time on your hands....started training for the Essex 100 yet? :wink:
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • JohnCleland
    JohnCleland Posts: 172
    Can`t stop eating Pumpkin Seeds, came home last night, grabbed a small handful, next thing........finished a 125g packet, thats 770kcal :shock: :oops: ,

Any advice or clinics for this addiction.
  • NGale
    coco pops :D
  • lost_in_thought
    Turned this into my dinner last night:

24763_402972295468_732610468_5599433_5376958_n.jpg

Still have lots of leftover crabcakes... :D