The Winter Weather Watch Thread .

Comments

• Tony Mc
    Tony Mc Posts: 180
    Set off 6.45 for my usual 5 mile commute no snow but a bit wet.
    wasn't too cold looked as if the ice of the last few days had thawed

At work now and the weather has changed snow comming down have till 5pm for the weather conditions to become a bit more favourable or it'll be a challenge getting home

As an aside what mudguards fit a langster don't fancy a cold numb ar$e all winter
    Getting there
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Likewise i was disappointed this morning. I was looking forward to skating to work, i was woken up in the early hours by what i thought was at least sleet battering against the window, but when it came to getting up and looking out it was just miserable rain. Bah. It also meant i got a frozen forehead on the way to work.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    No snow in South Manchester either . :shock:

Instead i've got 'man-flu' , phoned in sick, so that's 5/6 days off for me then.

I'm sat by the fire, which is full on, and I'm freezing .... sore throat , head buzzing :(

Where's a colouring in book when you need one :cry:
    Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Twas the coldest night since we got here lst night -16!! -23 with the wind chill.

I think I wore every bit of kit I own on this morning commute!
  • topcat33 wrote:
    Twas the coldest night since we got here lst night -16!! -23 with the wind chill.

:D Now there's a proper winter for you!
  • topcat33 wrote:
    Twas the coldest night since we got here lst night -16!! -23 with the wind chill.

Just wait, it regularly goes as low as -30c and even colder. When I was there we were skiing and it was -32c, talk about cold LOL

Mind you the next week with a Fohn (I think they call it a Chinook) wind it got up to +10c, strange place weatherwise Calgary. Still great skiing close by :)
    26km each way commute on a Decathlon Comp 1 2006 Road Bike

2009 Communting Totals - Car 112 miles Bike 2,765 miles
  • mattybain wrote:
    topcat33 wrote:

Just wait, it regularly goes as low as -30c and even colder. When I was there we were skiing and it was -32c, talk about cold LOL

Mind you the next week with a Fohn (I think they call it a Chinook) wind it got up to +10c, strange place weatherwise Calgary. Still great skiing close by :)

And to think we complain when we get a bit of snow and ice, never gets that cold though
    Commuter Surosa Toledo S34 Audax
    Best Bike Merida Road Race 901-18

In truth i love them both
  • AndyManc
    fonty1978 wrote:
    mattybain wrote:
    topcat33 wrote:

And to think we complain when we get a bit of snow and ice, never gets that cold though

Ice is ice , whether it's minus 1 or minus 31 it's still as slippy as **** .

Countries like Canada have an infrastructure built to handle it, because in the UK we rarely get snow or low sub zero temps our systems (built and designed to operate above freezing) collapse.

BTW , this weekend temps ( sat/sun nights are set to fall to minus 8 (minus 12 windchill)) so avoid using the bike if you don't have to.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • AndyManc
    This is the WORST start to a winter I can remember ... and that's quite a few decades.

I used my car last year to commute during the winter and I can only remember a couple of days when I had to scrape the windscreen :shock:

Forecast for NW England next week is night time temps to drop down to -7 and daytime temps for most of the week to hover around freezing , Monday being an exception.

So .. it looks like I'll be buying a 7 day Mega saver for the bus ... and getting out of bed 45mins earlier at 4:45 am ..... good god :cry:

URBAN_MANC.png
  • We've had about 9 inches of snow so far today and it's still snowing!

Can't wait for tomorrows commute, the temperatures a bit more manageable though, it's about -1.

They do cope with snow better over here. The thing is of my 13 mile commute, 11 miles of it is through a provincial park, very pretty but the tarmac path running through it is never gritted. The snow is OK, plenty of grip with mountain bike tyres, not looking forward to the ice when it melts though.
  • AndyManc
    Greater Manchester has recieved another cold weather warning tonight , down to minus 6 overnight .. so I guess I'm still on the bus 2morrow :evil:

Weekend is less cold but lots of rain and wintery showers , next week ... will be worse than this week . :roll:

Is it nearly May yet ? :?
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • iain_j
    NW forecast for Sunday on the Met Office is pretty good with 0mph wind - yes zero - so I think I'll be out for a ride. I think it's my last chance for a ride this year with all the festivities coming up, but I want to be back early so I can watch Chris Hoy beat Lewis Hamilton :P
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,059
    Light snow here this morning and cold, brrrr
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • AndyManc wrote:
    Greater Manchester has recieved another cold weather warning tonight , down to minus 6 overnight .. so I guess I'm still on the bus 2morrow :evil:

Weekend is less cold but lots of rain and wintery showers , next week ... will be worse than this week . :roll:

I used to like the cold and the snow but FFS this is ridiculous, when's the usual benign mild winter going to kick in?

At this rate the thought of emigrating back to Melbourne is becoming more and more attractive, there they consider 10c to be a horrific winters day :) if only I wasn't so old (35), I don't think they'd accept me any more :(
    26km each way commute on a Decathlon Comp 1 2006 Road Bike

2009 Communting Totals - Car 112 miles Bike 2,765 miles
  • mattybain wrote:
    AndyManc wrote:

I used to like the cold and the snow but FFS this is ridiculous, when's the usual benign mild winter going to kick in?

At this rate the thought of emigrating back to Melbourne is becoming more and more attractive, there they consider 10c to be a horrific winters day :) if only I wasn't so old (35), I don't think they'd accept me any more :(

I have only managed 12 miles this week, pitiful i know but se do seem to be having a much colder winter. However i finish work next Tuesday so i plan to get on my trusty steed during the day 8)
    Commuter Surosa Toledo S34 Audax
    Best Bike Merida Road Race 901-18

In truth i love them both
  • AndyManc
    This is how cold it is in South Manchester today . :?

3152963605_2a7581244d.jpg

3153797378_3d6fe12df6.jpg

I just checked out the forecast, it's set to be like this for the next 10days with snow next week :shock:

I'm gonna stay by the fire eating chocolate liqueurs :)

URBAN_MANC.png
  • iain_j
    It was snowing in Warrington this morning and freezing fog all afternoon in Chester. A lovely day for standing round feeding squirrels (have they never heard of 'hibernating'?). I like riding in the cold but today wouldn't have been much fun.
  • Kaydee
    Kaydee Posts: 16
    Yes it was very cold on the commute through Manchester this morning. Got off the tram a couple of stops early due to yet another suspension of service (god they are sooo cr@p) and saw an intrepid cyclist riding in SHORTS along Chester Road into the city!

Happy New Year All. Stay Safe.

KD
  • itboffin
    So the ice and snow has gone and the wind is back with a vengeance :cry:

I'm all dressed ready for my ride but totally lacking motivation, I'd take any weather other than strong wind :cry:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    No worries folks, the cold snap will resume again on Tuesday apparently
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • AndyManc
    itboffin wrote:
    So the ice and snow has gone and the wind is back with a vengeance :cry:

I'm all dressed ready for my ride but totally lacking motivation, I'd take any weather other than strong wind :cry:

Ice is lethal, the wind is soul destroying .... I'll take the wind. :?

URBAN_MANC.png
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Hehehehe - I'm off to Antalya, Turkey for a week on tuesday. Forecast for sun and 15-18 degrees. Not great but significantly better than the weather here.
  • I was there in August... and very nice it was too!

It was also significantly hotter than the forecast... Enjoy!
  • itboffin
    I'm back, 36 miles with strong gusting headwinds the whole way and out of nowhere my damn lower back started really hurting, I almost gave in, almost! - two MTFU pills later and I made it.

I fear I'll be doing a cheap copy of Greg66 robot impression tomorrow :cry:

Edit: I've never seen so many people out walking.
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    Fingers crossed I will be cycling in tomorrow, my first commute since about November! Not sure how I will cope though since I've put on so much weight!
    Oh well...time to lose it all again!

Lets hope it doesnt rain too much!
  • I went and checked the 12 mile bike path I use to commute to work today and all the walkers have kindly compacted a two feet wide path along it so I'm going to give it a go tomorrow. Trouble is, if you stray from that path, you nosedive into a foot of snow, you have to get yourself on the path and start again, don't look where you don't want to go is the trick!!

I'll try and remember to take some pictures tomorrow and show you what a proper winter is like!! :wink:
  • snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    topcat33 wrote:
    ......... and all the walkers have kindly compacted a two feet wide path along it so I'm going to give it a go tomorrow. Trouble is, if you stray from that path, you nosedive into a foot of snow, you have to get yourself on the path and start again, don't look where you don't want to go is the trick!!
    :
    Trouble is surely that the two feet wide path with be filled by walkers when you try to get along it !
    Good luck anyway

regards.jpgsnakehips.jpg
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • There are no walkers at the time of morning I leave! There's a few on the way home though.

As promised some pics of part of my commute through Fish Creek Park in Calgary.

This is the road that leads to the bike path, the bike path is on the left near the trees.
    3123081169_cf374d0da4.jpg

This is the river that the bike path runs along, the air temperature is so cold there is "steam" coming off the river! The river is full of ice.

3123083041_a8863fabfb.jpg

There's a proper winter for ya!!
  • itboffin
    This is Britain we don't have proper weather just waves of miserable imitations of seasons.

More snow on the way tomorrow, nothing like yours but no doubt enough to prevent me trying out the new wheels and tyres.

Must make the most of today, once I get out of bed that is :P
  • Ooft. Bit sketchy this morning. 3 days of rain followed by sub-zero temps last night meant LOTS of ice this morning, and a noticeable absence of any gritting taking place during the night.

Had to get off an push at a couple of points, mainly because they were steep climbs and now I'm singlespeeding, I really need to get up out the saddle and power to the top, but with sheet ice everywhere, it wasn't happening.

be safe out there kids.