Winter Night Riding

123457»

Comments

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    mellisr1 wrote:
    Finally, has anyone used the fibre flare rear light http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Fibre ... ht_(Single)/5360043731/ as it looks pretty good and might add to your side visibility whichh sometimes rear LED's don't also putting it on bags, jerseys etc might make people give a wider berth? just interested if people have found these useful ?

I've got two of the fibre flares mounted on the sides of my rucksack for side visibility - they will mount just about anywhere. Pretty bright and all round visibility. They are matched with 2 x Hope Vision 1's, Knog Toad, Mars 3.0, 4.0 and a Superflash...Blackpool illuminations has nothing on me.... :shock:
  • My ride back from training monday night was not great with the Tesco's lights I have so, I will be looking at getting one of the P7's
    Light where ok if there was street lights but now see the difference when there is not any :shock: and hit a pot hole because I did not see it, so my back wheel now needs that new rim sooner than later :(
  • Flasheart wrote:

I could do with a ride now

What kind?
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I had my first night ride of the autumn this week. It was a bit spooky going through the lanes around Stockgrove park. There seem to be a lot of bats around at the moment. At least they don't shred your nerves like the kamikaze rabbits that threaten to take you out on a regular basis.
    Coming back home, the mount on my garmin decided to give way and I had that sick feeling in my stomach as my 705 bounced down the road. The garmin mounts are crap, this is the seond one that's broken, but on this occasion I was unable to prevent the Vauxhall Corsa behind me from running the thing over :cry:
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    APIII wrote:
    I had my first night ride of the autumn this week. It was a bit spooky going through the lanes around Stockgrove park. There seem to be a lot of bats around at the moment. At least they don't shred your nerves like the kamikaze rabbits that threaten to take you out on a regular basis.
    Coming back home, the mount on my garmin decided to give way and I had that sick feeling in my stomach as my 705 bounced down the road. The garmin mounts are crap, this is the seond one that's broken, but on this occasion I was unable to prevent the Vauxhall Corsa behind me from running the thing over :cry:

Hi
    If the mount has broken, I would get on to Garmin about it and see what they are going to do about.
    Try to get to pieces of the Garmin if you can but send them an email about it, as that is not good for what it costs.
  • APIII
    Sicknote wrote:
    APIII wrote:

Hi
    If the mount has broken, I would get on to Garmin about it and see what they are going to do about.
    Try to get to pieces of the Garmin if you can but send them an email about it, as that is not good for what it costs.

Hi,
    Yeah, I've got a letter drafted up. Nothing stroppy, their customer support has been good in the past, so I'm just going to send it in and see what they say. Amazingly, it still functions, but the screen is broken. You'rE right though, for the cost of the thing, the cheap plastic mounts are appalling.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    I've seen Alfablue's excellent advice on rechargables for the AA's on the Fenix. What do you all use on the rears which I understand to take AAA's? Do you still use rechargables or standard batteries?
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    APIII wrote:
    Coming back home, the mount on my garmin decided to give way and I had that sick feeling in my stomach as my 705 bounced down the road. The garmin mounts are crap
    :cry:

Try using the lanyard next time, this should secure the unit to the handlebars and stop it falling off into the road.
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    Pross wrote:
    I've seen Alfablue's excellent advice on rechargables for the AA's on the Fenix. What do you all use on the rears which I understand to take AAA's? Do you still use rechargables or standard batteries?

Lots of people use the Smart 1/2 watt and I use rechargables and Lidl's have them both in right now for a good price on both.
  • I've done first 2 night rides this week using a Hope Vision 1 LED for first time and have been impressed with it. Riding on top of moors (on road) in middle of nowhere in the dark: Amazing; Peaceful. It's not as good as the expensive Halogen jobbies but then it's a fraction of the price. Can ride fast enough for me in Winter. Mine is still on now on high at 3 hrs 30 mins burn time on AA rechargeables.

Back up is an Electron I LED Nano which I have on flash mode. Cateye LD610 on seatpost and a Cateye 5 LED flashing light on back of helmet. Also those Aldi flashing reflective armbands. Hi viz tabard should be arriving tomorrow.

Contemplating a Fenix L2D for the helmet as well.
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    maander wrote:
    APIII wrote:
    Coming back home, the mount on my garmin decided to give way and I had that sick feeling in my stomach as my 705 bounced down the road. The garmin mounts are crap
    :cry:

Try using the lanyard next time, this should secure the unit to the handlebars and stop it falling off into the road.

what lanyard? pretty sure mine didnt come with one and doesnt seem to be any attachment point :?
  • APIII
    I don't know anything about a lanyard either :?

Anyway, what I do know is that Garmin sent me a nice new 705 this morning, FOC :D

...oh and they also sent one of the new mounts, which looks far sturdier than the old one. I guess I'm not the only one who had one break.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    That's good service from a big company - nice to see! :)
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    Well that was interesting. I went out for a post-work ride.
    I had just done one mile and a woman in a Corsa overtook me then immediatly turned left in front of me. I went up the where she was about to attempt a 3 point turn and tapped on her window and asked her why she did that. ..she was lost .. sheesh what a way of getting a local's attention to ask directions
    It started getting dark after the first 5 miles. I had put on my rear light to flash before I left the driveway so as not to forget.
    At the 1/2 way mark it was dark, thankfully my eyes had adjusted because on one of the descents there was a donkey in the middle of the road. Just standing there. Saw it at about 5 metres. Scared the CR@P outta me :shock:
    It was walking along the middle of the road away from me and it didn't have a reflective collar on so the Fenix flashing away didn't pick it up until I was right on it.
    I did my best crow impression ( FAAAAAARRRRKKKK ) as I just passed by at what I generally do that descent 30mph bythe time I hit the bottom where it was.

Apart from that, things I noticed.
    Potholes are still where they were in the daylight
    Donkeys & ponies are invisible in the dark
    Drivers tend to give you more room
    Fenix Lockblocks twist nicely to point the torch momentarily at the t**sser drivers windscreens that put their high beam on you as you approach them.

First real night ride. Where did Summer go? :(
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Using Ay Ups on the front and a flashing LED at the back-perfect
    No problems seeing or being seen and I reckon I'm given a bit more room
    Only issue on some roads is cars staying on full beam but otherwise fine
  • OK Now pay attention stop and think before you buy. One word

MG L-Mini II R2

I have got fenix tk11, and the LD2, Also got MC-E M LED, P7 Cree Q5, and a few other from HK

all great lights but i have been using a small compactable flash light for about 2 months and all the

other now stay at home. it uses the latest Cree R2 led better than the Q5s of Fenix. I ride in dark country lanes

and its light the road in front of you no problem with riding at speed

with a 2x 18650 and a charger this light is cheap.

if you are looking for Ultimate flood for a light with a single emitter LED

weather sealed

strong and well made

Orange Peel reflector

turbo head ( optional extra ) Throws the light

1x 18650= 1 hr 30 min run time on full power @ 250 Lumens

Small and light for a bike, smaller than a Fenix LD2

If you can get hold of one because they go like hot cakes when they come up in the USA

They are due in 3-4 weeks time I am hearing

www.shiningbeam.com
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I have done 2 rides this week, 50 miles and 40 tonight.
    I use cateye front and back, also a bluse light on the back set to flash ( boy does that slow the cars down from behind) and a dinolte on the front so I get to have a very well lit road in front of me and can see easily up to 30mph. I don't go faster than that due the to derr that tend to jump out roind my way!!