Winter Night Riding

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    tenbar wrote:
    One "problem" you might encounter is not knowing what gear you are in.
    It's easy, just wait for the depressing realisation that you were already in first when you try and change down.
  • I've got a smart 1/2 watt rear light which i'm happy with..

About to buy a second rear light, is this still the light of choice?

What about the Blackburn Mars 1?

It's for use on completely unlit country lanes. The Mars 1 is only £8 at the mo, so I might go for one of each.
    http://www.KOWONO.com - Design-Led home furniture and accessories.
  • AMcD
    AMcD Posts: 236
    bompington wrote:
    tenbar wrote:
    It's easy, just wait for the depressing realisation that you were already in first when you try and change down.

Know what you mean. When I did commute at night (now back to working normal daylight hours) there was a very steep hill for which I needed all my 27 gears, but tried to leave myself with two extra until the steepest bit. Of course, I often found I'd already used my last two gears :evil: and ended up weaving backwards and forwards across the path trying to keep upright. It really is strange riding in the pitch black.
  • tenbar wrote:
    One "problem" you might encounter is not knowing what gear you are in. During daylight all it takes is a glance either at the freewheel or (if you have one) a indicator on your cable. This is a lot more difficult (or nigh on impossible) in the dark. I may consider putting a small LED on the right rear stay to light up the freewheel. Another thing is you can't see you're computer (unless it is backlit of course).

tenbar

I have a headtorch, on my helmet, so I can see right in front of the front wheel or my computer and the gear indicators, or even whats going on next to me, depending on where I look.
    us0.png
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    AMcD wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    tenbar wrote:

Know what you mean. When I did commute at night (now back to working normal daylight hours) there was a very steep hill for which I needed all my 27 gears, but tried to leave myself with two extra until the steepest bit. Of course, I often found I'd already used my last two gears :evil: and ended up weaving backwards and forwards across the path trying to keep upright. It really is strange riding in the pitch black.

Pitch black and fog is really errie. I don't mind riding in the dark. Cars seem to give me more room than they do in plain daylight :?

Got a set of luu's from on-one on order. Went for red to match my winter tyres :roll: Can't wait to get my hands on them :lol:
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    I had my first ride in the dark on my road bike last night. My pair of toppeak Whitelight's really didn't cut it. It was light when we headed out at 6:20 but it was getting awfully dark around 7:45 on our way back. At least the cars could see me I suppose.
    I was worried about hitting a pothole or something at 20mph and taking a header :(
    I think I had better invest in something that will melt tarmac at 10 yards :twisted:
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • Did an hour and a half (27 miles) last night from 7:30. It was dark properly at about 8:15. Really enjoyed it although it was eerie in places, particularly when going down tree covered lanes past graveyards. I probably wouldn't want to do much more than the 1.5 hours though in darkness because you do get a bit bored with the same view (the pool of light from your lamps) after a while. Beats the hell out of turbo training in the house though.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'm not sure that anythings replaced the Smart Superflash as the best rear light ? The Mars looks good but I've not tried that.

Fenix are still great torches - bung one on your helmet as a headtorch and get a P7 torch from Dealextreme - stupid amount of light available !

If you have a proper winter bike - festoon it with reflective tape. You can get the black tape too that reflects light back - understated in day and kick ass at night.
  • I commute in the dark but expect I will start to ride in the dark as well to keep what little fitness I have got intact through the winter.

I can also recommend the fenix torch with lock block. I went for the orange peel reflector for wider beam but I also bought a 10quid (I think) kree 3 LED (not sure thats the correct spelling) from Tesco and an additional lockblock which is great for an extra but quite a focussed beam. also I've never had problems with high Mih rechargeable batteries and you can carry spares!

However, as they go on the handlebar, the point where you turn, not necessarily where you are looking. so some times you light up hedges rather than potholes. Lock Block do a slightly different (couple of quid more) holder which is oriented so you can put one of the torches through the vents in your helmet so to speak so you should always have light pointing where you are looking. I might invest in one of these for the winter.

Finally, has anyone used the fibre flare rear light http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Fibre ... ht_(Single)/5360043731/ as it looks pretty good and might add to your side visibility whichh sometimes rear LED's don't also putting it on bags, jerseys etc might make people give a wider berth? just interested if people have found these useful ?

cheers
    Matt
    Looking for a friendly & welcoming club in Warrington/North Cheshire area ?
    Try North Cheshire Clarion : http://www.northcheshireclarion.co.uk/
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    I ride unlit country lanes in the dark, with a SSC P7 on the bars and a Cree Q5 (which is what the Fenix L2D contains) on my helmet

You can buy both from DealExtreme pretty cheaply, but need to factor-in the cost of Li-Ion battery and charger for the P7, but still about £40-ish.

The Q5 takes standard rechargeable AA's, again I bought from DX and much cheaper than Fenix

The P7 is a broad floodlight, good on the bars to light-up the whole road.
    The Q5 is more of a spot, having it mounted up on your helmet gives enhanced perspective into potholes and so on than just a light mounted down on the bars, plus you can turn your head and look around corners with it, or direct it at drivers about to pull-out from sideroads or refusing to dip their lights...

Bike lights seem massively over-priced for what they are, these Chinese-made torches shove out a massive amount of light for a fraction of the cost.

At the rear a Smart 1/2W plus another LED on steady - the big flasher to be noticed and to say BIKE to a car bearing-down on me at 60mph, the steady to allow him to judge distance better.

Plus reflective bands around ankles (which move, attractig attention) and arms (to show-up when indicating) : Aldi & Lidl do them periodically for only a few quid.
  • jojo90
    jojo90 Posts: 178
    I use an Exposure Maxx-D with the red Exposure taillight - this is by far the brightest tail light you can get unless you start spending ££ on Dinotte (even then the improvement is marginal).

The unit is quality, battery lasts for ages and the beam lets me ride on pitch black country lanes with full visibility. The taillight 'piggybacks' off the Maxx-D so the two bits form a very nice compact unit. Only gripe is the taillight cannot be 'leveled' using the bracket so I just use a bit of innertube to level it at car-driver-eye-level. I also have a flashing light on the back (Mars) that is weak in comparison :)

I actually use it at the moment for my evening rides.. Maxx-D on flashing and the tail-light. The red tail-light means even in full daylight cars give me a wider berth than I otherwise would receive.
  • I spashed out on a Dinotte and yes...they are MENTAL!
    great for stopping people drafting you :)

Aslo a Dinotte on the front, the seperate battery packs can be a pain in the bum but a good light is well worth the money.
  • OK, so I think this thread is helping me clarify my thinking...

For the first time this year I'll be commuting after dusk (lit and unlit roads). And I want to do some night time speed work around the country lanes in North Hampshire.

So - I want something that will kick out sufficient power and run for days whilst I'm commuting. And then light up the lanes like a christmas tree - without blinding oncoming drivers - for a couple of hours late night speedwork occasionally.

But I don't want to break the bank. The rear end is sorted - got a Cateye LD1100. £150 is my desired budget for the front. (Though I'm not good with budgets... :wink: )

I think I've narrowed my choice to two options...

Two Fenix L2D's mounted on the bars, rally driver style, giving a pot-hole busting bright spot in fron of the bike, with a decent pile of rechargeable batteries.

Or an Exposure Race Maxx 2 - which I might be able to get within my budget soon with the introduction of the new Strada.

Sound like reasonable options?
  • Tenbar
    I live just down the road from you and have in previous years ridden at night I have found the following to be useful:- as well as what you have discovered.
    Lights - the more you spend the better they are, carry a spare. If you use a rechargeable system recharge after every ride.
    Clothing - plenty of Hi Viz, I have used a high viz jacket. I know this has saved my life on at least two occasions. Rear lights, I use two - one constant, one flashing.
    Weather - once you are out of town the country lanes can freeze very quickly. Try it in a group, it might add another dimension to your training.
    Tell someoene your route - try not to make it to isolated ie, out Reeth way or the like.
    Mainly have fun and enjoy.
  • zedders
    zedders Posts: 509
    Great thread. 164 replies. Some great advice guys. But too much information!

I'm just about keeping up my twice weekly commute to work. But now it’s getting more difficult with the night’s drawing in! 15 miles each way. 80-90% on unlit country lanes, with a small, really really scarey bit on the A5 with HGV's flying by!

Anyways. Am happy with my rear light , a Cateye LD600 LED. But up front I've only got a Cateye EL500 which I got a couple of years ago. It’s not great is it, so I need a upgrade. I’ll keep it on the bike as a spare/back up.

Pay day is 2 days away, and I think I can spare about £100? (Rest is being spent on baby stuff!) So best front light for £100? Small and lightweight would be the way to go for me! As they will only be used couple of times a week, I can go with rechargeable batteries no probs. Am thinking of a couple of Fenix L2D’s? That equals 360 lumens! Is that any good? Or could I get more “lumens” for my £100?

Something I didn’t notice in this thread was no mention of eye wear? At night what glasses do you wear? Do you get specific night lenes? And if so what do I look out for?
    "I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/
  • bompington
    red dragon wrote:
    I have used a high viz jacket. I know this has saved my life on at least two occasions
    I'm not challenging this, but I am curious, how do you know it was the hivis that saved you?
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    Im using a Triple MC-E in a housing made by a guy on the mtbr forums (deesta) giving approx 1500 lumens, i also use a P7 headtorch.

Literally turns night into day, i normally run at a fraction of maximum output.
  • bompington
    deal wrote:
    Im using a Triple MC-E in a housing made by a guy on the mtbr forums (deesta) giving approx 1500 lumens, i also use a P7 headtorch.

Oh here we go, I've just shelled out for a P7 & now you're telling me it's so last year...
  • Flasheart
    I just ordered a Fenix L2D and two mounts. One mount or the road bike and one for the commuter. Of course if I can sneak another Fenix L2D in under the radar, the other mount will go on the road bike as well :twisted:
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
  • Flasheart
    zedders wrote:
    Something I didn’t notice in this thread was no mention of eye wear? At night what glasses do you wear? Do you get specific night lenes? And if so what do I look out for?

When riding to & from work in the dark I have a pair of BBB yellow tinted cycling glasses. Yellow lenses are referred to as "low light" but I find that the yellow lens takes the glare off the car headlights too 8)
    FCN3
  • I'm not challenging this, but I am curious, how do you know it was the hivis that saved you?

Good point, luckily as the driver was comming towards me the look on his face behind the steering wheel was enough to show that the hi viz had done its job.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    Brilliant thread - thanks everyone. In my previous incarnation I always avoided night riding as lighting technology was so poor in the early 90's. I did it once, for some strange reason is dense freezing fog as an added bonus, and came back invigorated by how strange the roads I rode on several times a week in daylight appeared so different (I actually lost track of where I was until passing a pub but think that was more down to the fog!) albeit with the scarf around my mouth frozen to my face :lol:

One session on the turbo this winter has made me realise it isn't my solution to getting fit through the winter and weekend only riding isn't going to get me fit quick enough to do some sportives next season but having read this night cycling not only sounds possible but something I really want to do - loads of quiet country lanes around here.

I think I've got the front end sorted (2 x Fenix L2D, 1 with orange peel lens) but am still a bit unsure on the rear. I know I'll go for 2 lights but which ones and is it best to have one steady and one flashing? Like many I worry, probably unduly, about getting hit from behind so I want something that will be seen a long way off. Now I just need to find a ski mask so I can rob a bank to pay for it all - anyone know a good brand? :lol:
  • Pross wrote:
    I think I've got the front end sorted (2 x Fenix L2D, 1 with orange peel lens) but am still a bit unsure on the rear. I know I'll go for 2 lights but which ones and is it best to have one steady and one flashing? Like many I worry, probably unduly, about getting hit from behind so I want something that will be seen a long way off. Now I just need to find a ski mask so I can rob a bank to pay for it all - anyone know a good brand? :lol:

I've got a smart superflash half watt jobby that's always on flash. Really bright and good value, i've also got a blackburn mars 1 (i think) which was only £8, but nowhere near as good as the superflash. I have this light on all the time, IMO the flashing one needs to be the brightest as that's the one that gets you noticed.
    http://www.KOWONO.com - Design-Led home furniture and accessories.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    +1 for the Smart light.
  • +2 for the Smart light
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    bompington wrote:
    deal wrote:

Oh here we go, I've just shelled out for a P7 & now you're telling me it's so last year...

haha don't worry P7 is plenty I use my lights at low power on the roads and often on trails I only switch to medium on fast descents
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    +3 for the smart light. Always have two rear lights at least - they are only a tenner each. Check out the what lights on the mtb buying forum - lots of advice there. And slather yourself and the bike in reflectives. I also ride with yellow lenses at night - clear is prob better but cba paying out.

If you have a peak on your helmet - cover the top of that in reflective tape - you can get black now - put that on and if anyone dazzles you tip your head down.

Reflective tape will also go on pedals and cranks. And for ultimate effect - get some tireflys to go on your valves. Bling.
  • Pross

Welcome to the dark side. I honestly don't know why more people do not ride in the dark. It's all about choosing your routes. Admittedly, if I couldn't find a route that was relatively traffic free then I'd think twice about it but for anyone who lives within a short distance of quiet, unlit country roads then it's definitely the way to go.

tenbar
  • bompington
    cougie wrote:
    I also ride with yellow lenses at night - clear is prob better but cba paying out.
    I love my €2 cycling glasses from a dutch corner shop, clear, yellow & dark lenses. Bought 3prs summer 08, on the second pair now.
    Still using the dark lenses at the mo 'cos I'm in denial about the winter.
  • Flasheart
    My Fenix L2D light hasn't arrived yet...no ride tonight for me :(
    I really did feel unsafe on the road at night with my current lights so I don't want to risk it

Off topic. Mrs just brought her sister out to my computer room (converted garage) first thing she said was "ooh it's nice and warm out here" My reply was "and it will stay that way too if you shut the damn door behind you when you walk in"
    I was asked if I got up on the wrong side of the bed...My reply was "planet" :roll:

I could do with a ride now
    FCN3