Winter Night Riding

Comments

• Nick6891
    Nick6891 Posts: 274
    ok only need to know a good site to get the fenix torch from can get the holder off ebay
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    The Photonshop do both. The Lockblock on ebay (this one) is more than the photonshop one when you add postage (post free on Photonshop). Mind you, Glowgadgets is an excellent shop, but no point in paying more.
  • grim168
    grim168 Posts: 482
    I've just bought a fenix and lock blocks from the photon shop and can thoroughly recommend them. They even put a free led keyring torch in which is amazingly bright for its size.

Graham
  • grim168
    grim168 Posts: 482
    I've just bought a fenix and lock blocks from the photon shop and can thoroughly recommend them. They even put a free led keyring torch in which is amazingly bright for its size.

Graham
  • Nick6891
    Thanks for the info, i have bought them now, hopefully i will have it for my 9mile commute home next thurs at 10.30pm on country roads, would normally get a lift as i would ride during the day but cant next week
  • Pip13
    Pip13 Posts: 36
    grim168 wrote:

Graham

Ditto that, came the next day too. Very helpful shop and dead impressed with the service.
  • skins2
    skins2 Posts: 78
    alfablue wrote:
    Skins, just a final thought on the P1D as a rear light, if you use a LockBlock to mount it on your seat post it will point downwards about 17 degrees from horizontal (roughly, depending on your frame geometry), so unless that is satisfactory, some other way of mounting it will be necessary. Early Dinotte rear lights had the same issue, they fixed it with this mount, maybe you could use one with a lockblock, bit of a faff though.

din.jpg

It would have been a satisfactory angle but with the mount sticking out the side of the seatpost it brushes my leg too much. I could attach it to the rear Race Blade if I can't find a mount that will hold it straight out behind the seatpost. I'll let you know how I get on.

The lights are brilliant BTW and the 'high' setting will be more than adequate for most people I'd have thought as it's not significantly less bright than 'turbo' mode.
  • Hi.. anyone got one of these..?

Cateye EL610

how effective would it be in the forest, etc..??

going to go one of these in the next six months or so. (Exposure MaXx-D). would the Cateye be effective..?

thanks.
  • alfablue
    Hi.. anyone got one of these..?

Cateye EL610

how effective would it be in the forest, etc..??

going to go one of these in the next six months or so. (Exposure MaXx-D). would the Cateye be effective..?

thanks.
    Haven't got one, but on paper it will be about 1/3rd of the brightness of a Fenix, which costs less. Also the integrated battery means no replacement during the ride, with the Fenix it is simple enough to carry 2AA's. On the plus side the run-time is slightly more (3 hours on high c/w with 2 - 2.25 with the Fenix, though the next mode down on the Fenix gives 4.5 hours and is plenty bright enough), but the Cateye high will be much dimmer than the Fenix. I have also read of a couple of users that found the mount broke. I have had bad experiences myself with fragile Cateye products.

I really think you need better than this in the forest. Reading this thread should give you a good idea which way to go with your money!

Also, in 6 months or so there will be more choice of better brighter products than the Exposure, I reckon (next gen Airbike's?), and exposure may themselves develop better products.
  • ok, thanks.

tbh, the main reason is so i can still ride for half an hour or so at night... didn;t think it would be great in the forest..

will have a look at Fenix.

thanks
  • alfablue
    ok, thanks.

tbh, the main reason is so i can still ride for half an hour or so at night... didn;t think it would be great in the forest..

will have a look at Fenix.

thanks
    Hi James, yes, it just seems like poor value compared to what is available in the market. A fenix L2D CE Q5 will cost you £37, a lockblock mount £7 (from the photon shop), 4 AA 2900mah batteries £5.50, a smart charger if you need it, £14.75 (from Vapextech), total £64.25 (all prices include postage). The Cateye is £68 from Wiggle. The Fenix with 2 sets of batteries (it takes 2 AA's) will give you 2x 2hrs on turbo, or 2x 4.5 hours on high, the high mode being brighter than the Cateye high. It is made of tough anodized aluminium rather than plastic. It is smaller, lighter, and has multiple off-bike uses too.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Well I've now been out on the road a couple of times with my single Fenix L2D / lockblock. It lights up the road much better than my car on dipped beam, and stays bright for 2 hours at least in turbo mode. I find I can confidently cycle flat-out on otherwise completely unlit roads. Drivers coming the other way dip their headlights pretty quickly, so it's obviously visible from some distance. The lockblock, despite being a ludicrously simple device, keeps the thing very firmly attached to the bars.

Well pleased

My teenage son home for the weekend from uni found the Fenix. Christ Dad, what's that torch? It's like the sun!!
  • http://www.thephotonshop.co.uk/page35.htm

this looks interesting..?!?

FENIX TK11. 2 X CR123
  • Nick6891
    i think you would be better off with a wide beam light for forest so you can see everything infornt of you not just a spotlight, really combination off the two is best
  • alfablue
    http://www.thephotonshop.co.uk/page35.htm

this looks interesting..?!?

FENIX TK11. 2 X CR123
    It is indeed a fab light, however CR123 are less convenient, more expensive and have shorter run times. It does allow for a smaller light, which is good, but the extra lumens are not really necessary. I am happier with the convenience of an AA light.
  • alfablue
    Nick6891 wrote:
    i think you would be better off with a wide beam light for forest so you can see everything infornt of you not just a spotlight, really combination off the two is best
    good point, I find the Fenix L2D orange peel to be plenty wide enough for this sort of ride, the TK11 has greater throw but probably a narrower beam.
  • ok, is this Fenix L2D the best one to go for.. or do they do a wide beam which is mega bright..?
  • alfablue
    ok, is this Fenix L2D the best one to go for.. or do they do a wide beam which is mega bright..?

It is probably the best one, I don't think there are any wider beams, but I find it to be excellent on my unlit railway path commute. You have the choice of smooth reflector or Orange Peel, Smooth gives more throw but more of a central hot spot, orange peel gives a smoother beam, probably the better one to get, though the differences aren't great.
  • ok, thanks. will have a look.
  • shmo
    shmo Posts: 321
    Just received my LD20 from the photon shop so they must have a had a shipment in. Looks very nice, already managed to burn out my and my work colleagues retinas and hope to try it out for real this evening.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    <dashes to letterbox - returns - empty handed> :-(

There is a bike specific Fenix on the front page - but it seems a bit pricey - £80 or so ? Thats about two L2Ds - and it doest take AA batteries.
  • alfablue
    cougie wrote:
    <dashes to letterbox - returns - empty handed> :-(

There is a bike specific Fenix on the front page - but it seems a bit pricey - £80 or so ? Thats about two L2Ds - and it doest take AA batteries.
    It is not really bike specific, infact it is designed with a "tactical" use in mind. It is the TK11, takes CR123 or 18650 batteries, offers 60 more lumens than L2D, fewer modes, more compact. The £80 is a bundle with 1 light, 1 lockblock, one charger, 2 x 18650 batteries, not bad I reckon, though I think it is more suited to off road where one wants as much light as possible.
  • cougie
    What does Tactical mean when we a're talking about torches ? Are we talking SWAT teams or summat ?

Oh my new Fenix arrived at lunch - :-)
  • alfablue
    cougie wrote:
    What does Tactical mean when we a're talking about torches ? Are we talking SWAT teams or summat ?

Oh my new Fenix arrived at lunch - :-)

Yes, law enforcement, military etc, plus those with rich fantasy lives. It is designed to be held with a handgun, hence "Tactical removable grip-ring for cigar-hold technique" (cigar hold being one way to hold the light so it points the same way as your muzzle!), and why it has ""momentary-on" (light press of the switch rather than a click to put the light on momentarily), and why it has only one mode via the switch (other mode by twisting the head, you can't fuss with switching through 5 modes when in a close combat situation, such as in the ASL on a commute). :P

It would be good to here your comparisons of your two Fenix Cougie (you have two now I think).

(should that be Fenix, Feni or Fenix's???)
  • keef66
    Fenices I think
  • alfablue
    keef66 wrote:
    Fenices I think
    thank you :lol:

How's your Fenices Cougie?
  • Fenices I think

so what's the word for multiple Kleenex? ;)
  • keef66
    It's a box
  • alfablue
    :D
    keef66 wrote:
    It's a box

I was going with kleeneces, but thought tissues was easier.
  • cougie
    Fenices are looking good so far ! The L20 is handy in that it has a hexagonal collar - so you can put it down on a surface without it rolling away. The beam does look more focussed though - so maybe that will make a better light than the L2D for a helmet mount.

I'm out tonight sadly, but will ride Thursday night for a full workout of the wee beasties.